Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,647 members, 7,951,702 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 09:24 PM

I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. (3711 Views)

Enugu Airport Runway Death Trap - MD. OAS Helicopters / Cleaners Mopping The Floor Of Enugu Airport / Enugu Airport Flood Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by Nuzo1(m): 1:35am On Oct 29, 2013
I feel disappointed today...so disappointed that tears rolled down my eyes!

But before I tell you guys the reasons for my disappointment, I will give you a little insight on my candid observation on the Nigerian polity.

Since when I became very active on this forum in early 2007, I've tried as much as I can to be very objective in my views, analysis and assessments regarding issues raised here...especially Nigerian politics, ethnicity and religion.

I've tried to maintain that "objectivity" till date. But I must confess I was shocked the way president Jonathan was treated when his predecessor; pres Yaradua fell sick and eventually died.
Since then, the politics of ethnicity and religion became the order of the day.

Buhari established that line of politics by avoiding south east and south south zones during his presidential campaigns with the exception of Port Harcourt. He also went further to ask that muslim vote muslim while other adherents should do same for their respective brethren. He also enjoys keeping quiet or as some people would say he sympathizes with religious murdering fanatics.

Don't get me wrong, I know this sentimental politics didn't start with Buhari...but its very clear he established it. It was even evident during his era as head of state.

Nuhu Ribadu is not a perfect guy, but he seems to be my best choice among all the line up of all the so-called leaders...including GEJ, Akpabio, Tinubu, Fashola, Chime and Buhari. He beats them any day in my book.
Problem is that Ribadu is not salable to the gullible and corrupt Nigerian populace for obvious reasons. And that makes me pitch my tent to the easier devil to deal with....Goodluck Jonathan!

Recently, there's been so much talk about Ms Oduah; the aviation minister. I feel very indifferent or should I say comfused about her persecution in the media mostly by a section of people and the other section in her defence.
Its an outright disregard for due process, ethics and respect for Nigerians and her office to approve such a huge amount of money for 2 units of bulletproof vehicles. Its a clear case of fraud! Now, they can't even find the receipts for the purchase.

On the other side, they are worried there's NO much talk about the money the Governor of Lagos state spent in purchasing the same unit of vehicle for twice the amount Oduo used. This section even argued that her predecessors; especially Fani Kayode was never harassed even after about 20 billion Naira aviation fund disappeared into thin air.
They went further to argue that she's been hunted for stopping some illegal deals in the industry, refurbishing the airports and upgrading the Enugu airport to international status.

These 2 groups have valid arguments but I think its about time GEJ relieve her of her duty and allow her to be properly prosecuted! She's not as innocent as we think.

Now, as I said in my first statement, I felt so disappointed after using the international airport today. It was a complete mess!

I've been opportune to travel through local and international airports in China, Hong Kong, Qatar, UAE and Australia so I know first hand what its like to have a quality and lasting structure. I'm sure Odua has been to these places and more.

For the fact that most Nigerians are okay with mediocrity or just about average, I won't compare these airports to what I saw in Enugu today, rather I would soft pedal by comparing the Enugu airport to the streets in these countries. Unfortunately, it still doesn't come close.

Enugu international airport has come to stay...but the rehabilitated structure is a sham, a ponzi scheme and a BIG FRAUD!
The quality of materials (interlocking, slabs, chairs, windows, glass and restrooms) and quality of finishing were all shabby, substandard and unprofessional! It will all fall apart in the next 1 year. I give it 6 months without maintainance.

Its clear the opposition are very good in hijacking issues like this and using it for their political gains...but Nigerians must learn to draw the lines. Odua is a big time fraud and must GO!

Igbo women are arguably the most hard working and least corrupt group of Nigerians but Odua is one in a hundred that keeps pulling this group backward.

9 Likes

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:38am On Oct 29, 2013
talk is cheap
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by Mandelaguy(m): 1:44am On Oct 29, 2013
OGA op, there is a newly remodelled Enugu Airport that was recently upgraded to host international flight operations. Right next to it is the main international airport undergoing construction. The foundation was just laid some months back. It's being handled by the Chinese.
That is the main Airport designated as international not the existing one you used.
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by hammedkola(m): 1:45am On Oct 29, 2013
You don't need to cry @poster, because am still observing grin grin grin,
#Naija4show #End time things #Winnertakesearth
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by Nuzo1(m): 1:50am On Oct 29, 2013
Mandelaguy: OGA op, there is a newly remodelled Enugu Airport that was recently upgraded to host international flight operations. Right next to it is the main international airport undergoing construction. The foundation was just laid some months back. It's being handled by the Chinese.
That is the main Airport designated as international not the existing one you used.

I'm very much aware of that. Like I said in my opening post, the international airport has come to stay. And I bless Odua for taking actions on that.

That being said, I'm most disappointed at the quality of work done at the domestic wing....I mean given the amount that was budgeted for it. It insults my sensitivities.

3 Likes

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by naijaking1: 1:53am On Oct 29, 2013
Oga Nuzo long time!
You want her fired for the sub-std work at Enugu or for something else
Please don't compare apples and oranges. Comparing your perception of airports in China, HK, Dubai, etc with Enugu is wrong.
Please for all its worth, the reasonable approach would be compare the airport to its former self, other West African and African airports/earodromes, etc. Driving enough international traffic through Enugu is the first step in bringing it modern World std.
It pains me when reasonable people end up with wrong conclusions, because they used the wrong set of logics in their reasoning.

8 Likes

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by nduchucks: 2:10am On Oct 29, 2013
Calling a spade a spade takes more courage than necessary in Nigeria of today. Nuzo, your opinion is respected.

3 Likes

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by naijaking1: 2:14am On Oct 29, 2013
Is this NUZO or is this Nuzo'
Don't be decieved

1 Like

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by Nuzo1(m): 2:20am On Oct 29, 2013
naijaking1: Is this NUZO or is this Nuzo'
Don't be decieved

Same ol' nuzo. grin

You are one of the few I respect her sir!
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by gratieao: 2:23am On Oct 29, 2013
@Op sorry to disappoint you, as worst as it may look half breed is still better than none. We wouldn't have have any had Femi kayode or any other Yoruba aviation ministers remained there, it still a step in right direction
Shebi international flight fit land there?

2 Likes

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by yelsew80: 2:24am On Oct 29, 2013
OP did you use same airport before the 'sham' rehabilitation?

1 Like

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by Nobody: 2:26am On Oct 29, 2013
Nuzo':

But before I tell you guys the reasons for my disappointment, I will give you a little insight on my candid observation on the Nigerian polity.

Since when I became very active on this forum in early 2007, I've tried as much as I can to be very objective in my views, analysis and assessments regarding issues raised here...especially Nigerian politics, ethnicity and religion.

I've tried to maintain that "objectivity" till date. But I must confess I was shocked the way president Jonathan was treated when his predecessor; pres Yaradua fell sick and eventually died.

Buhari established that line of politics by avoiding south east and south south zones during his presidential campaigns with the exception of Port Harcourt. He also went further to ask that muslim vote muslim while other adherents should do same for their respective brethren. He also enjoys keeping quiet or as some people would say he sympathizes with religious murdering fanatics.

Don't get me wrong, I know this sentimental politics didn't start with Buhari...but its very clear he established it. It was even evident during his era as head of state.

Nuhu Ribadu is not a perfect guy, but he seems to be my best choice among all the line up of all the so-called leaders...including GEJ, Akpabio, Tinubu, Fashola, Chime and Buhari. He beats them any day in my book.
Problem is that Ribadu is not salable to the gullible and corrupt Nigerian populace for obvious reasons. And that makes me pitch my tent to the easier devil to deal with....Goodluck Jonathan!

Recently, there's been so much talk about Ms Oduah; the aviation minister. I feel very indifferent or should I say comfused about her persecution in the media mostly by a section of people and the other section in her defence.
Its an outright disregard for due process, ethics and respect for Nigerians and her office to approve such a huge amount of money for 2 units of bulletproof vehicles. Its a clear case of fraud! Now, they can't even find the receipts for the purchase.

On the other side, they are worried there's NO much talk about the money the Governor of Lagos state spent in purchasing the same unit of vehicle for twice the amount Oduo used. This section even argued that her predecessors; especially Fani Kayode was never harassed even after about 20 billion Naira aviation fund disappeared into thin air.
They went further to argue that she's been hunted for stopping some illegal deals in the industry, refurbishing the airports and upgrading the Enugu airport to international status.

These 2 groups have valid arguments but I think its about time GEJ relieve her of her duty and allow her to be properly prosecuted! She's not as innocent as we think.

Now, as I said in my first statement, I felt so disappointed after using the international airport today. It was a complete mess!

I've been opportune to travel through local and international airports in China, Hong Kong, Qatar, UAE and Australia so I know first hand what its like to have a quality and lasting structure. I'm sure Odua has been to these places and more.

For the fact that most Nigerians are okay with mediocrity or just about average, I won't compare these airports to what I saw in Enugu today, rather I would soft pedal by comparing the Enugu airport to the streets in these countries. Unfortunately, it still doesn't come close.

Enugu international airport has come to stay...but the rehabilitated structure is a sham, a ponzi scheme and a BIG FRAUD!
The quality of materials (interlocking, slabs, chairs, windows, glass and restrooms) and quality of finishing were all shabby, substandard and unprofessional! It will all fall apart in the next 1 year. I give it 6 months without maintainance.

Its clear the opposition are very good in hijacking issues like this and using it for their political gains...but Nigerians must learn to draw the lines. Odua is a big time fraud and must GO!

Igbo women are arguably the most hard working and least corrupt group of Nigerians but Odua is one in a hundred that keeps pulling this group backward.

Nigerians are good at building edifices but very poor with the finishing
it cuts across the board from their mansions to everything else
you see a fabulous looking building and go in, the door fixture and lighting and door edges are rough, crooked, out of alignment.
you have to swing and lift doors to get them to close properly
Glass cuttings and window shutters are crooked.
rough and uneven wood edges
Blobs of paint and plaster material at corners

I was home shortly after they opened the local MM2
I was so disappointed with everything
the doors in the toilet couldn't even latch on properly,you are doing a poo poo and extending one hand towards the door incase someone barges in. grin
you flush the toilet,no water pressure.your ogbunigwe will just be rotating round and round
everything looked so shoddy

5 Likes

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by gratieao: 2:27am On Oct 29, 2013
yelsew80: OP did you use that same airport before the 'sham' rehabilitation?
Don't mind those LIARS
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by gratieao: 2:29am On Oct 29, 2013
babyosisi:

it cuts across the aboard from their mansions to everything else
you see a fabulous looking building and go in, the door fixture and lighting and door edges are rough, crooked, out of alignment.
Glass cuttings and widow shutters are crooked.

the doors in the toilet couldn't even latch on properly
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by naijaking1: 2:30am On Oct 29, 2013
Nuzo':

Same ol' nuzo. grin

You are one of the few I respect her sir!

Good to know, welcome back pal!
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by gratieao: 2:31am On Oct 29, 2013
Nuzo':

Make we pull down the airport abi?
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by Nuzo1(m): 2:42am On Oct 29, 2013
gratieao:
Make we pull down the airport abi?

Its very doable bro.

Pull it down and put up something that will make us feel like we are actually humans. Something that will stand the test of time. Something neatly done.
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by nduchucks: 2:51am On Oct 29, 2013
gratieao:
You Igbo hater wouldn't you sleep?

That's a low blow and wicked. Some of my relatives and best friends are Igbo.
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by yelsew80: 2:56am On Oct 29, 2013
Nuzo':

Its very doable bro.

Pull it down and put up something that will make us feel like we are actually humans. Something that will stand the test of time. Something neatly done.

Look my brother, I'm not trying to hold brief here for anybody but how many airports have you seen in this country and how does the Enugu Airport compare? You make it sound like we would have been better off without the rehabilitation, is that so?

1 Like

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by Nuzo1(m): 3:04am On Oct 29, 2013
yelsew80: OP did you use same airport before the 'sham' rehabilitation?

Yes bro, there's an improvement now. Matter of fact, it was more like a local car pack then.

My anger with Oduah has very little or nothing to do with the inflated bullet proof vehicles. All the governors, ministers and heads of parastatals has approved inflated budget for their luxery lives including private jets. So, I rather Fashola be impeached first before Oduah is fired if all my "ranting" has to do only with the automobile.

If you had gone thru my first post you will know that I avoided comparing this airport to these foreign airports for the same reason you exhibited here; mediocrity.

What will happen if the airport was at least given a near finishing look like the Nnamdi Azikiwe airport Abuja? The slabs, doors, interlocking, windows etc

Bro, from the debt of my heart....I was really disappointed today.

1 Like

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by biafranqueen: 3:13am On Oct 29, 2013
Nuzo':

I'm very much aware of that. Like I said in my opening post, the international airport has come to stay. And I bless Odua for taking actions on that.

That being said, I'm most disappointed at the quality of work done at the domestic wing....I mean given the amount that was budgeted for it. It insults my sensitivities.
where's the picture ? Anyway I will see it in 2 weeks please next time take pics for others
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by Nuzo1(m): 3:14am On Oct 29, 2013
babyosisi:

the doors in the toilet couldn't even latch on properly,you are doing a poo poo and extending one hand towards the door incase someone barges in. grin
you flush the toilet,no water pressure.your ogbunigwe will just be rotating round and round

Ogbunigwe...chai! You didn't have to swallow every kind of food served aboad. tongue

Well, it seems you rightly got where I was coming from with my experience today.
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by ifyalways(f): 3:31am On Oct 29, 2013
Hmmmn Nuzo.

What really is the "problem" of Enugu airport in your eyes? The inter locking stones, chairs or it didn't meet up to your perceived world class standard?

Nuzo can we have pictures of the "below standard" interlocking stones,chairs and every other thing that "embarrassed" you at enugu airport from YOU.
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by Sunnybobo3(m): 4:33am On Oct 29, 2013
No picture means it didn't happen.
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by johnomotayo(m): 5:37am On Oct 29, 2013
Nuzo':

Since when I became very active on this forum in early 2007, I've tried as much as I can to be very objective in my. views, analysis and assessments regarding issues raised here...especially Nigerian politics, ethnicity and religion.

Don't get ur hopes too high cos as far as am concerned that upgrade is a big achievement when u consider the numerous distractions here ɑ̤̥̈̊ηd̶̲̥̅̊ there (boko haram, kidnapping,party division,ASUU strike,plane crashes,pms wahala,national conference ɑ̤̥̈̊ηd̶̲̥̅̊ many more. In my candid opinion gej is a great man /fighter/hero

1 Like

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by johnomotayo(m): 5:39am On Oct 29, 2013
Sunny_bobo: No picture means it didn't happen.

I saw it in d papers
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by bumdish: 5:48am On Oct 29, 2013
@OP, this write-up seem so convoluted.

- Buhari & religion
- Nuhu Ribadu; my best choice
- Ms Oduah; the aviation minister
- Governor of Lagos state purchases
- Fani Kayode and 20 billion Naira
- The Enugu international airport

Point could have been made in one paragraph . . . some deliberation there though.

4 Likes

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by bloggernaija: 5:59am On Oct 29, 2013
Crap.
Putting Fashola ,Buhari in the same category as those bunch of invalids is nothing but false equivalence.
You are only trying to paint them with the same brush.

Fashola remain the best administrator in the Nigeria by a country mile and Tinubu comes a very close second.
Ribadu is a great guy but he just doesn't have the carriage of a president. Just like GEJ. amaechi ,odili ,Donald duke have that carriage ,akpabio does not .
Your president is building city gates and banquet halls(dining rooms)
While the smart men are building cities right out of the sea,building free trade zones ,working hard to actualise a new seaport,
Airports ,new business district etc
I wonder how many of the country's public servants can run ordinary Lagos state waste management authority on a shoe string budget, not to talk of the state itself.
I will bet that that those capable are the ones already running it.
You think say na moin moin and trucks just appear all of a sudden ,all the rubbish disappear.
Plan well beforehand and every other thing falls into place.
It is exactly the same reason that the country is completely run down.
Ever wonder why foriegn technical school plumbers are made supervisors over Nigerian graduates.
With a civil service full of unprofessional clowns,you are going nowhere ,anytime soon.
You think say na build and forget.
One so called 1960 curriculum project manager must have signed off on that shoddy job you observed.

7 Likes

Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by ilaugh1: 6:09am On Oct 29, 2013
babyosisi:

Which one have you built? Lets see the finishing.
Re: I Wept At The "Rehabilitated" Enugu Airport. by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 29, 2013
The OP is confused. Comparing multi-billion dollars Airports with an Airport that was rehabilitated with N800-700 million? Lets compare like with like. You'r calling for the sack of Oduah now that we have better looking Airports? What did you do in the last 2 decades that the Airports were only fit for lower animals? Perhaps, when the new N13 billion international terminal is completed, we can do some reasonable comparison with Airports of similar worth around the world.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Welcome To Ondo State, Land Of Sunshine / Should He Move To Turkey Or Trinidad And Tobago / Please Can I Take My Finance To Canada As A Master Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.