Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,801 members, 7,969,391 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 07:09 AM

Help Me Make This Choice Please - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help Me Make This Choice Please (702 Views)

Guys Please Help A Brother Make This Important Decision / Career Choice:please Help Out / I Will Be An MC, Help Me Make This Birthdday Party Great. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me Make This Choice Please by kuul: 12:36pm On Jul 09, 2008
I am a graduate of Mechanical/Production engineering from NAU Awka, now working with Stanbic bank Plc here in Nigeria. I love the job, as much as I love my course. I have a plan, to travel out of the country for my Master's degree program. My problem lies on where to Major in? Should I continue my way up the Engineering ladder or should I get an MBA and continue my job. A drop of line would be graced.
Thanks
Kuul Fm
Re: Help Me Make This Choice Please by echelon(m): 12:49pm On Jul 09, 2008
The Q is this: Are you happy with the bank job? If so you can get an MBA and continue with your job. That you studied Mech Engr. doesn't mean you must practise. On the other hand if you are not really happy with the job, you can bid your time, save some money and go for further studies in Engr. or even get an engr. job. It's all about interests and passion.
Re: Help Me Make This Choice Please by temmilorun: 5:36pm On Jul 10, 2008
enchelon I'm happy with u cool grin
Re: Help Me Make This Choice Please by mahatmaG: 7:46am On Jul 13, 2008
In as much as we strive for existence, we should not forget our happiness. wherever our happiness will come from, we should pursue it cause that the sole aim of existence - TO BE HAPPY!

If ur happiness will come from ur accounting career then continue, if not why waist time there?

Life is only but one. Be the best you can be in ur life time so that when ur are gone, you will be remembered for that.
Re: Help Me Make This Choice Please by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 20, 2008
@echelon.

my exact sentiments.
Re: Help Me Make This Choice Please by 37ports(m): 4:50am On Sep 02, 2009
Hi Kuul Fm,

"I love the job, as much as I love my course". That is your statement. "Study to find yourself worthy". That is Bible statement. So if you love the job, then very simple, go study more courses on the Job. Time cometh when you will find that you actually need to know the job in order to own the job. Sorry if I speak in proverbs or parables.

Thanks,
37 Ports.
Re: Help Me Make This Choice Please by courage89(m): 6:02am On Sep 02, 2009
If I were you, I will go for MBA with Finance concentration.

The goal will be to leverage your technical background as a mechanical engineer with MBA, to position you for oil and gas risk project analysis within your current organization. As a mechanical engineer, you should be able to analyze and test different oil and gas technology/project for feasibility to ensure company can service their loan post completion. As the analyst, your goal is to evaluate how much risk/interest rate the bank should charge, or how much money should the bank loan out when financing such project. To successfully undertake such task, you need both engineering and finance background.

If that doesn't work out, you can venture into corporate finance with oil and gas companies. Your job will include recommending which investment/project the company will invest in based on their level of resources (both human and capital) and returns (highest NPV), how much dividend to pay out to shareholders vs. reinvestment, strategies on raising funds for capital intensive projects e.t.c. To successfully execute these tasks, you'll have to leverage both your engineering and business background.

(1) (Reply)

Three Traits Of A Successful Woman / Study In Usa, Uk And Canada / Experienced Cyber Cafe Owners Pls Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.