Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,234 members, 7,943,435 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 03:16 PM

Critics Needed - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Critics Needed (889 Views)

Critics For My Website / New Website, Your Critics / New Website For The Critics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Critics Needed by Gamine(f): 4:07pm On Jul 09, 2008
So?

Re: Critics Needed by yawatide(f): 5:14pm On Jul 09, 2008
Is this a brochure for an ad campaign or a website? If the former, pleasantly done. If the latter, I would be very concerned about page bandwidth.

Also, with so much happening on the page, I find it hard to concentrate on what I deem to be the most important parts of that page which are (in descending order), "flight search", "visit australia" and the menu section (which if you don't look closely, is almost as if it doesnt exist).
Re: Critics Needed by Gamine(f): 5:58pm On Jul 09, 2008
Page Bandwidth?

Why is there so much happening,?
i don't get that

The page dosnt end at flight search and visit Australia
its longer.
Re: Critics Needed by yawatide(f): 6:13pm On Jul 09, 2008
So I am looking at the beach in the background and asking myself 2 questions:

1) How will Gamine implement this background in a way that it doesn't involve the creation of one large image that is heavy in size (bandwidth)?

2) Again, focusing on the beach, why can't I find anything else on the page (In other words, the page is busy and all I see is the beach in the background, nothing else)?
Re: Critics Needed by smartsoft(m): 7:01pm On Jul 09, 2008
well @yawa, if gamine knows about image optimizing, slicing and dicing, and add HTML/CSS to places that are nessc. don't be amazed it will load faster than you imagine, ! nice layout though,
Re: Critics Needed by Gamine(f): 7:06pm On Jul 09, 2008
yeah, forget abt the bandwidth thingy i know how to handle that

as for the image, what u r saying basically

is the beach is ovawhelming.

the page isnt full, so i guess it seems so

@Smartsoft

for once! thnks
Re: Critics Needed by Kobojunkie: 10:29pm On Jul 09, 2008
I am not a designer and so call me a critic. In simple term, that design SUCKS!!! 

I re-iterate, I am not a designer so I am giving you what I think as a user

1) Too blue

2) Too busy: There is too much going on in there. Reminds me of those ugly Nigerian sites with all shades of green splashed all over the place that it is hard to read the messages without getting a seizure of some sort. LMAO!!

3) The message is not clear : I am guessing it is a travel site of some sort but that message is not clear. At first glance you think it has to do with some spa, then a beach side hotel and on and on,  grin
Re: Critics Needed by smartsoft(m): 10:37pm On Jul 09, 2008
same has Codessssssss grin
Re: Critics Needed by syskay(m): 10:56pm On Jul 09, 2008
You cannot get an effective website review, if all you can provide is a screenshot. A link to the actual site will be helpful.
Re: Critics Needed by yawatide(f): 11:48pm On Jul 09, 2008
@gamine

You see am? Kobojunkie pretty much has said the same thing as I.
Re: Critics Needed by DualCore1: 3:57am On Jul 10, 2008
hmmm its nice and catchy. i don't think its best using that image for the entire bg, then the image of that kid, it just cuts ouTTa the whole thing, do a center fade on that image. set the bg color as black or white. then use just the top part of that image as the header and let it fade into the bg. i'll like to see your codes too. cUz if u did this with fireowrks, your codes will be so eff'd up.

so your work is beautiful, but beautiful just doesnt do it for a good design.
nice work u got.

Kobojunkie:

I am not a designer and so call me a critic. In simple term, that design SUCKS!!!
if u were a designer u would know the time and effort put into this, and u would know better than to use such language during a critique.
Re: Critics Needed by Kobojunkie: 4:06am On Jul 10, 2008
Dual Core:

hmmm its nice and catchy. i don't think its best using that image for the entire bg, then the image of that kid, it just cuts ouTTa the whole thing, do a center fade on that image. set the bg color as black or white. then use just the top part of that image as the header and let it fade into the bg. i'll like to see your codes too. cUz if u did this with fireowrks, your codes will be so eff'd up.

so your work is beautiful, but beautiful just doesnt do it for a good design.
nice work u got.
if u were a designer u would know the time and effort put into this, and u would know better than to use such language during a critique.

Well,  here is the problem with your response there. This is not about posting UPLIFTING NOTHINGS to boost the @Poster's ego. She asked for criticism and I am giving her my honest opinion here. The end users are not designers or people who care about how many hours it took to put the final product together. They are simply people who will take a look at the site and decide there and then if it is worth a second look or not. My vote is, that thing is not and so it needs some work. Simple. No need to respond to my post, feel free to address the @Poster directly.

@Poster, I took the liberty of checking out the site you have in your profile and I find it hard to believe that anyone who designs such a nice piece there can settle for that "SUCKY" design you want critiqued. Seriously, it SUCKS, big time,  lol.
Re: Critics Needed by SeanT21(f): 4:16am On Jul 10, 2008
If this is about traveling to Australia then its boring.

Many countries have an ocean. What U need to do is put a picture up that shows why Australia is different from other places.I think You should Use another landscapes of Australia. Australia have beautiful buildings and there are many things to see there.

That pic is too boring and blend. Australia has many other things to offer then beaches.

Re: Critics Needed by DualCore1: 7:13am On Jul 10, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Well, here is the problem with your response there. This is not about posting UPLIFTING NOTHINGS to boost the @Poster's ego. She asked for criticism and I am giving her my honest opinion here. The end users are not designers or people who care about how many hours it took to put the final product together. They are simply people who will take a look at the site and decide there and then if it is worth a second look or not. My vote is, that thing is not and so it needs some work. Simple. No need to respond to my post, feel free to address the @Poster directly.

@Poster, I took the liberty of checking out the site you have in your profile and I find it hard to believe that anyone who designs such a nice piece there can settle for that "SUCKY" design you want critiqued. Seriously, it SUCKS, big time, lol.

very well then.

Gamine could up upload this to a temp location on the net or put it up on your web server? Just to see its load time, browser compatibility and stuff. that image is too small for anyone to lay a critique on being able to see things properly or not.
Re: Critics Needed by Gamine(f): 9:40am On Jul 10, 2008
Thanks Guys.

im really choosy when trying to design stuff
but this is one i have to do.

Yeah, what i caught from this critic is;

Too ovawhelming
Too Blue
The message isnt clear enough.

fine fine

i just started work on it, i hated it
wanted to see what others thought
esp from the users perspective.

When im done though, id upload and you can check it all out

@Sean[i]
What the heck are you saying[/i]
Re: Critics Needed by OmniPotens(m): 10:41am On Jul 10, 2008
I think SeanT21 is trying to say that you should try changing the ocean image to something better. I also think the same way too. Check for a new landscape or better picture portraying Australia and put in place of the ocean. Well, just as Dual Core suggested, upload it to your server as it will give room for a better view and critique.
Re: Critics Needed by yawatide(f): 11:34am On Jul 10, 2008
@gamine
You have finally come around - sign of maturity. Kudos
Re: Critics Needed by Gamine(f): 12:21pm On Jul 10, 2008
The site aint about Australia!!!!!
choi!!!!!!

@Yewa,
yeah, im not the gamine of yesterday.lol
Re: Critics Needed by DualCore1: 12:45pm On Jul 10, 2008
Gamine:

@Yewa,
yeah, im not the gamine of yesterday.lol
cool

Gamine:

The site aint about Australia!!!!!
choi!!!!!!
just a tip of wht the gamine of yesterday looked like. lol.

he musta felt it was about australia cUz of the part talking about australia, everyone is just trynna help.
Re: Critics Needed by Gamine(f): 12:48pm On Jul 10, 2008
lol

I know and im taking the "help"
Re: Critics Needed by Gamine(f): 12:22pm On Jul 14, 2008
Re: Critics Needed by Kobojunkie: 1:44pm On Jul 14, 2008
Now that is good design. Great colors and concept. That design is worthy of a legit business venture.
Re: Critics Needed by yawatide(f): 3:16pm On Jul 14, 2008
e heeeeeh Gamine, now we are talking cheesy

A few observations though, if I may (perhaps you aren't done yet but I just felt I needed to point these out):

1) On feedback page, upon clicking submit, i get this:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_LNUMBER in /home/transcor/public_html/contactus/sendform.php on line 31

2) On feedback page, there is "feedback" as header but the orange rounded image above it says, "contact us"

3) The orange rounded image isn't consistent in length on all pages. On "investor relations" it spans the whole space, on "contact us", it doesn't

4) Clicking "subscribe" button leads to "page not found"

5) The scrolling news section on home page seems a little blank. Either fill it up with news or reduce the height

6) It doesn't make sense to me that that rounded orange image is enclosed in a container with a left and right gray border. Let it loose, so to speak.

7) I think your rating system doesn't make sense as it is. You should just have 1 - 5 and explain that "1 meaning least and 5 meaning most". When I saw those pluses and minuses, I was confused.

8 ) Since it appears that you are using a CMS, I won't talk about the "printer friendly version" which, if you coded to web standards, should be taken care of in your code as opposed to having separate pages for each version as maintenance will be a pain.

9) All "contact us" pages I have ever been on have never been as long as the one you have. I would have a form on there and depending on option from a dropdown, programatically determine what address the email should go to. The way it is, it's way too long.

I hope you are yet to turn this in because if you have, then all I am saying is of no use. I personally prefer to offer pre-launch critiques to post-launch ones.
Re: Critics Needed by Gamine(f): 3:35pm On Jul 14, 2008
The back end guys will be on that.

i didnt design this site, the company i work for did.
Re: Critics Needed by JUNIT1(m): 4:05pm On Jul 14, 2008
bad horrible, terrible, disgusting, ridiculous, you name it
Re: Critics Needed by yawatide(f): 4:19pm On Jul 14, 2008
@gamine
If you had said so all along, I wouldn't have wasted any Carbon dioxide on this. Nice "case study" but considering you didn't do it, I wonder how the people who did the site will benefit from what I wrote (especially if they have already launched) if they don't read NL posts.
Re: Critics Needed by Gamine(f): 4:35pm On Jul 14, 2008
im the current person in charge, so they would get to it.

(1) (Reply)

Web Review? / Website Design / Dora Akunyili Website - Let's Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.