Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,737 members, 7,951,997 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:05 AM

Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania (1224 Views)

Pregnant Woman Climbs High Stool For Maternity Photoshoot / Pregnant Woman Delivers At Lagos BusStop (pic) / Pregnant Woman Blasted For 'bleaching' Her Baby Bump [PICS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by infonubia(m): 8:18pm On Oct 29, 2013
Thanks to Pennsylvania law of harassment, it may be illegal to touch a pregnant woman's belly

A representative from the Pennsylvania State Police tells reporters that earlier this month, 57-year-old Richard J. Beishline visited his neighbor, a 30-year-old pregnant woman named Michelle Troutman in Frankfort, Pennsylvania. According to the police report, after giving Troutman a hug,Beishline said, “I just want to be friends” and rubbed her stomach. Troutman pushed him away, and he quickly left. She has since filed harassment charges against Beishline, and if he pleads guilty, he’ll pay a fine determined by a judge. If he pleads not guilty, both parties will have to testify in court.

According to Pennsylvania-based attorney Phil DiLucente (who is not involved in the case), this kind of case will most likely be difficult for the plaintiff to win.

“Pennsylvania law defines harassment as engaging in conduct that harasses, annoys, or alarms a person,” DiLucente. Beishline would likely receive a simple criminal citation, which bears the seriousness of a traffic ticket. “However, this case will make a dent in people’s awareness of a woman’s personal boundaries,” he says.

So, whether it's people offering an unsolicited advice, asking deeply personal questions, or rubbing someone's stomach without consent, a pregnant woman's personal boundaries have always been up for debate. Beishline would likely receive a simple criminal citation, which is equivalent to traffic ticket. “However, this case draws people’s attention to the fact of a woman’s personal boundaries.

Expert's Opinion

After reading this case I wondered, Isn't it normal and 'natural' to be curious and attracted to a woman's belly. Both men and women are generally fascinated by a preggos's belly - or more so, the 'cuteness' of the unborn so that touching or asking to touch the belly should not be offensive. Nevertheless, every person sees their body differently just as some people like their space.

“There’s nothing inherently wrong with being curious about a pregnancy — the mechanics of it are fascinating,” says Rebecca Traister, the author of Big Girls Don't Cry. So, your meddling family members and perky office peers may not mean harm, but according to Traister, there’s an unspoken belief held by both men and women that pregnancy is the ultimate female endeavor. “We see this with women who are pressured by their families to have kids or our fascination with celebrity baby bumps in the tabloids,” she says. “It’s led to this thinking that pregnancy is a public concern. It's all part of an ongoing conversation about the ownership of women’s bodies."

She noted that it could also be that the act of being pregnant is a universal reference point for women. And that curiosity or interest may lend itself to innocent yet unwanted touching. “When you walk down the street, you don’t know whether a man is an expectant father, but a pregnant stomach broadcasts a woman’s life decisions," says Traister. "However, people are starting to rethink how we see the female body. Hopefully this is one issue that we rethink, as well."

Hmm...What do you think? It'll be great to hear from both males and females on this issue.

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/10/now-illegal-to-touch-pregnant-womans.html
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by coldgate(f): 9:13pm On Oct 29, 2013
No biggie. If you dare to touch a woman's body in 9ja, you are probably a witch who wants to kill the unborn child or turn it into a turtle. Smh for 9ja.
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by veave(f): 10:42pm On Oct 29, 2013
why on earth would you touch a pregnant woman's tommy?
d@s rude and disrespectful.
yes quote me.
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by infonubia(m): 11:32pm On Oct 29, 2013
veave: why on earth would you touch a pregnant woman's tommy?
d@s rude and disrespectful.
yes quote me.
'Rude and disrespectful' I get, but illegal?
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by pickabeau1: 5:44am On Oct 30, 2013
This law should also be in naija sef
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by veave(f): 9:10am On Oct 30, 2013
infact... add illegal.
anything that is both rude and disrespectful could be a form of harrasment. the only legal person allowed is the husband, or partner.
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by infonubia(m): 1:26pm On Oct 30, 2013
veave: infact... add illegal.
anything that is both rude and disrespectful could be a form of harrasment. the only legal person allowed is the husband, or partner.
I get ur point.
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by soulglo: 3:22pm On Oct 30, 2013
veave: infact... add illegal.

Even that could be illegal without consent. People should just keep their hands to themselves. I am wondering why she did not complain about the hug he gave her but complained about him touching her tummy. If he would not stop touching her after repeated warnings then she has a case but to base it solely on touching her tummy is ridiculous.
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by infonubia(m): 4:28pm On Oct 30, 2013
What if it was a female that touched her, would that be considered harassment as well?
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by soulglo: 4:54pm On Oct 30, 2013
infonubia: What if it was a female that touched her, would that be considered harassment as well?

Of course. If she told her to stop and she did not
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by infonubia(m): 5:18pm On Oct 30, 2013
soul_glo:

Of course. If she told her to stop and she did not
I asked cos I see some women doing it. You are right, some women don't feel comfortable with it while others could care less.
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by Nobody: 6:17pm On Oct 30, 2013
if only they could make it illegal for Yoruba people to be shouting iya beji in Nigeria.... I fucking hate that shit!!!

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by infonubia(m): 6:42pm On Oct 30, 2013
Bludeville: if only they could make it illegal for Yoruba people to be shouting iya beji in Nigeria.... I fucking hate that shit!!!
hahaha....that's hilarious! Every pregnant woman is "Iya Ibeji." I think it was supposed to be a compliment but apparently it's been taken too far.
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by greatgod2012(f): 7:45pm On Oct 30, 2013
This thread reminds me of a time. I was madly rude to a woman who is very much older than me, even though, I didn't like the fact that I was rude to her, not even to anybody sef, but I didn't regret my action and neither did I apolologise for my rudeness to her.

What happened?

I met her in the market with the company of my brother when my wedding was some months away, she was my mum's church member and kinda closed to her but not very closed anyway, so, immediately I spotted her, I called my brother's attention to her, who advised that we greet her and inform her about the forthcoming wedding and also to ask where she lives so that we can go and invite her formally, immediately we greeted her and my bro just mentioned about the forthcoming wedding, she said, "with this belly that is not protruded already" and trying to touch my belly if I was pregnant, immediately, I pushed the hand away and shouted on her not to ever try to touch my belly again, and finally said she doesn't even attend a wedding ceremony when the wife is not already pregnant, can you imagine.

Needless to say, I support veave, how can you touch my belly? Pregnant or not, when you're not my husband, it's barbaric, it's disrespectful, it's annoying, thank God now it's illegal.

Op, sorry for the long epistle, your thread just reminded me of what happened over a decade ago.

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by infonubia(m): 7:54pm On Oct 30, 2013
greatgod2012: This thread reminds me of a time. I was madly rude to a woman who is very much older than me, even though, I didn't like the fact that I was rude to her, not even to anybody sef, but I didn't regret my action and neither did I apolologise for my rudeness to her.

What happened?

I met her in the market with the company of my brother when my wedding was some months away, she was my mum's church member and kinda closed to her but not very closed anyway, so, immediately I spotted her, I called my brother's attention to her, who advised that we greet her and inform her about the forthcoming wedding and also to ask where she lives so that we can go and invite her formally, immediately we greeted her and my bro just mentioned about the forthcoming wedding, she said, "with this belly that is not protruded already" and trying to touch my belly if I was pregnant, immediately, I pushed the hand away and shouted on her not to ever try to touch my belly again, and finally said she doesn't even attend a wedding ceremony when the wife is not already pregnant, can you imagine.

Needless to say, I support veave, how can you touch my belly? Pregnant or not, when you're not my husband, it's barbaric, it's disrespectful, it's annoying, thank God now it's illegal.

Op, sorry for the long epistle, your thread just reminded me of what happened over a decade ago.

You don't have to apologize, it's an interesting read. Just makes me wonder how people reason - shed doesn't attend weddings unless the bride is pregnant?? "Ridicuful!"
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by aadetoyin(f): 7:35am On Oct 31, 2013
Sooooo RUDE to touch a preggy woman's belly.
@, that woman deserves how she was treated. And she's odd for saying she doesn't attend weddings where the lady isn't pregnant. Mschew. Very shallow way of thinking.
As for me, if anyone tries to touch my tommy wen I'll preggers, I will spit fire n brimstone. grin
Re: Unbelievable...illegal To Touch A Pregnant Woman's Belly In Pennsylvania by infonubia(m): 1:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
aadetoyin:
As for me, if anyone tries to touch my tommy wen I'll preggers, I will spit fire n brimstone. grin

Ah....pls go easy on them. Fire and brimstone ke? grin

(1) (Reply)

Dad Beat Man Unconscious After Finding Him Sexually Abusing His Son / Why I Keep Avin Crush Fo Older Gals / Parents Should Stop Worrying About These Things!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.