Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,613 members, 7,975,379 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 01:26 AM

Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? (10292 Views)

How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL / Funny Activities Of "Inspired Autos" (Fake Custom Papers And Tint Permit) / Avoid Being Scammed!! Please Read!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by SalvageZone(m): 7:31pm On Nov 01, 2013
I been a salvage cars dealer for over 25 years. I own [url]SalvageZone.com[/url] and you can take many precaution to protect yourself before sending money to a dealer for a vehicle. I will list them all below but the best thing to do is go see the vehicle and dealer yourself. If the dealer is over seas send a friend or family member to go check out the dealership (If possible).

Things to do to protect yourself.

1. Check google earth and google maps to check the dealers address. If the dealer is advertising a fake address you will be able to tell.
2. Tell them to fax or email you a copy of the title. Make sure everything on the title matches with what the dealers says
3. Ask the dealer to write a number or word on the vehicle windshield. You tell him what to write and to take a picture and send it to you
4. If you know the dealership name or phone number do a search on the internet to see if people wrote any reviews.
5. If they have a website use http://www.whois.sc/ to see how long they have the website for. This also provides you with the address and name of the person or company that registered the domain name. If you see that the website has been around for a long time chances are you can trust them. Also note some people or companies can register the domain name as private. If that is the case you will not be able to see the name or address.
6. If something seems to good to be true chances are its a scam.

Like i said before the best thing you can do to protect yourself is go see the vehicle yourself if its possible. I hope this helps

5 Likes

Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by sanandreas(m): 7:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
awoof dey run belle. If e tu cheap abeg nor buy. Probable scam. Be wise
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by ibsmooth: 7:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
1.Any online car without its Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)being display is suspicious.
2.Cars that goes for 1.8m-2.0m(example)and being offered for sale at 1m or 1.2 are suspicious.
3.Vehicles where t'he seller failed to display t'he plate number is suspicious.
4.In most cases,genuine cars adds the picture of t'he seller either sitting in t'he car or standing in front of it.
5.Where t'he seller is skeptical to deliver t'he car on request to t'he buyer's office or residence is suspicious.
6.In most cases,t'he seller will ask you to come down with a mechanic to corfirm the state of the engine.e.t.c
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by ibsmooth: 7:36pm On Nov 01, 2013
1.Any online car without its Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)being display is suspicious.
2.Cars that goes for 1.8m-2.0m(example)and being offered for sale at 1m or 1.2 are suspicious.
4.In most cases,genuine cars adds the picture of t'he seller either sitting in t'he car or standing in front of it.
5.Where t'he seller is skeptical to deliver t'he car on request to t'he buyer's office or residence is suspicious.
6.In most cases,t'he seller will ask you to come down with a mechanic to corfirm the state of the engine.e.t.c
7.T'he car in question must have a custom duty which can be confirmed on their website as well as t'he VIN
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by SalvageZone(m): 7:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
ibsmooth the vin number not being displayed doesn't always mean it's a scam. I advertise all my vehicles with out vin numbers because people can see the vin number and use it to make fake titles to scam other people. That's what was happening a lot in the united states in the late 90's and early 2000's.
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by rodeo0070(m): 7:50pm On Nov 01, 2013
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by stephenponti(m): 8:36pm On Nov 01, 2013
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by Daresh(f): 8:58pm On Nov 01, 2013
Eyop: If one is greedy in any business transaction,he or she is likely to fall for scam. Recently we've been receiving post or should i call it advertorials from several people claiming that Customs are auctioning cars and they go as far as posting ridiculous prices e.g a 2010 Toyota Camry selling for #600,000 when we can't get that anywhere from a legitimate dealership.

Also avoid buying cars from individuals online except you have someone that can assist you check the vehicle and meet with the seller face to face prior to committing money. So it's always advisable to deal with companies that due diligence can be performed on them before transacting.

Ol boi, this exact thing happened to me today. Someone claiming to be customs that said I shd come and buy CRV 2008 for 780k. Alarm come dey blow for my head when he said I shd pay 120k for clearing into his personal account. I knew something was wrong when the guy started trying to intimidate me. I just boned his side jor.
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by pendusky(m): 8:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
pelhurmy: I've neva had such experience.....I'll av 2 learn 4rm d experienced ones

I just dey observe with dis *drip*

I pray I get well soon

get well soon dear
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by femmy2010(m): 9:05pm On Nov 01, 2013
Start by going through previous posting of the seller to be sure he is who he claim to be.

1 Like

Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by Eyop: 9:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
Daresh yes it is happening and many people are falling for this scam because of greed. Customs are not auctioning cars online and one thing you should ask yourself is that if the said CRV 2008 that the scam artist is offering you for #780K is true or real wouldn't it have been ideal for him to buy it and decide to sell it atleast #200K less the market price and make a good money out of it? A lot of juicy deals turns out to be scam so one should learn to have self control.
Daresh:

Ol boi, this exact thing happened to me today. Someone claiming to be customs that said I shd come and buy CRV 2008 for 780k. Alarm come dey blow for my head when he said I shd pay 120k for clearing into his personal account. I knew something was wrong when the guy started trying to intimidate me. I just boned his side jor.
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by Ninilowo(m): 11:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
alienware: I bought a car for my uncle through nairaland and it was sent to me, my mum also got a car from here ! I think its cool, besides i had them sent to lokoja in kogi state.
Only from likes of sienna.......abi?
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by Ninilowo(m): 11:42pm On Nov 01, 2013
Emi ke? I got one golf 4 for 400k. He said he was at abeokuta so I asked him to drive it down and promised to pay for all inconveniencies......walahi I never see am! Oshara golf 4 for 400k.... .ole. Owo ti mo ya ni cooperative. cool

2 Likes

Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by HuJJC(m): 1:55am On Nov 02, 2013
Telephone number(Registered) is enough to track a scammer... Does it work in Nigeria?
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by Willdidi(m): 4:08am On Nov 02, 2013
I actually sold my sisters car through nairaland, I had no prior knowledge on cars or how to deal on one, I just posted d pics of the car with d amount she wanted to sell it and her fone number. A lot of ppl called and a guy finally bought d car wit 50k lesser than we actually wanted to sell. All dis story simply boils down to dat der r real car dealers n ppl who use NL to transact business, d some very foolish will always want to capitalise on dat n scam innocent ppl.
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by kayswag100(m): 4:11am On Nov 02, 2013
Sir, I don't get. Does it mean any seller asking you to come down with a mechanic is a scammer?
I've followed this auto section for a couple of months now because I may just buy my first car from nl.

Pls how could one check an advertised car to see if it isn't stolen? That's my greatest fear!
ibsmooth: 1.Any online car without its Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)being display is suspicious.
7.T'he car in question must have a custom duty which can be confirmed on their website as well as t'he VIN
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by everyday: 7:18am On Nov 02, 2013
I think this method of verification will not work.Naira land is not a classifieds or market place but a forum.Its due to its popularity that many auto dealers start posting ads of cars for sale
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by Intelligentman(m): 7:45am On Nov 02, 2013
I think the only way to fight this car business scam is for Nairaland to be as other online marketplaces are doing.By requesting some documents that will make be convinced that the person or group of persons are strictly on business.For a example,if you want advertize in www.go4worldbusiness.com,they will ask you to provide-
(1) company registration certificate
(2) Any national identity card or international of yours
(3) Any utility bill paid by the company.
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by AUTOCRATIC(m): 8:43am On Nov 02, 2013
The major problems about people who fall victims of scammers is because they are too greedy and impatient.

But the facts remain that when you are buying a car, don't look for cheap cars,Mr A got tokunbo a 1999 toyota camry @ 650k does not mean you will get at same price.

Always go for one on one inspection to know if seller actually has a base and test drive, but don't go with crowd because seller may not allow you to test drive.

Don't ask seller to bring a used car for you for inspection and purchase,its good for you to go to where the seller is situated,if anything goes wrong,you can easily locate him.have heard enough experience where buyer will ask you to bring vehicle to their office,or meet them somewhere,people like that may ended up buying a stolen vehicle.

Always have it in mind that not only registered cars could be stolen vehicle,some tokunbo could be a stolen vehicle as well,take your time to go for inspection at the seller's base.

Becareful of seller's who has just a car for sale,be more intelligent in your dealings with them and dealer whose car is isolated in a place

Don't make an advance payment of a vehicle you have not seen one on one,even when you have seen it,be sure of the person/company genuiness.

Custom does not auction cars online,its a simple fact.

Becareful of cotonou car dealers,use your money to buy a car you can move immidiately.

Don't go alone for a transaction when you are not comforatable with the seller.

GOOD LUCK

1 Like

Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by faradexs09(m): 9:51am On Nov 02, 2013
My advise no no to scammers,BE WISE ,BE smart dnt let ur eagerness or want push to sth unreal,make sure it's real,cross check d sellers identity,if u ve a whim of doubt,RUN RUN;RUN!
Re: Possible Ways Of Being Scammed On Online Autos Business? by Armaniswiz(m): 10:15pm On Nov 02, 2013
Watch out for ridiculous prices...when something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pre-order This Mint Condition 2005 LEXUS RX 330 For #3.45m / B7 Spartan Armoured Personnel Carrier (apc) For Sale / 2008 Model Toyota Highlander Toks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.