Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,797 members, 7,972,851 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 08:12 PM

How Do I Persuade My Parents To Accept My Dreams - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Persuade My Parents To Accept My Dreams (1130 Views)

My Parents Divorce Left My Life In Shambles / I Always See My Wife Having Extra Marital Affairs In My Dreams: Husband / Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Persuade My Parents To Accept My Dreams by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 31, 2013
For a long time,I've been living the dreams of my parents.They tend to make decisions for me all the time;ranging from the course they wanted me to study in the university.First they wanted me to be a doctor.then pharmasist,professor etc.. It was difficult for me to gain admission,eventually I gained admission to study a science course.The crux of the matter is this: I am musically inclined..God blessed me with a great voice..I'm a good songwriter too..But my parents won't accept the fact that I've got talent..they won't let me pursue my dreams...I can't go for talent shows.... I got an invite during ASUU strike period to perform a song but they won't let me..What do I do?
Re: How Do I Persuade My Parents To Accept My Dreams by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 31, 2013
I just tell them ok sir, ok ma, and do my own thing. tongue
I know you are a good girl, yes me too that is why you went to open your big mouth to seek their permission as a well brought up girl. grin cheesy I've been there, opened my big mouth too. grin
Newsflash Nigerian parents would never budge! grin grin
Just do your own thing! grin there's a reason why my sisters and I drove to another state for 12hrs without the knowledge of my dad. We don't even live with him, but surely he would have scattered our plans through the phone. grin grin
But be ready to be accountable for your actions.
I hope you are not a teenager, cos you still gat no say. grin
Re: How Do I Persuade My Parents To Accept My Dreams by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 31, 2013
thanks dear...I'm not a teenager... I'm turning 21....
Re: How Do I Persuade My Parents To Accept My Dreams by pickabeau1: 6:16pm On Oct 31, 2013
stillwater opinion supported..

Do you have elders... u can bunk with them to get a breather

why do u think u have a good voice....

Have u attended voice training....
Are u in a choir...

But finish your study...
Re: How Do I Persuade My Parents To Accept My Dreams by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 31, 2013
Yeah true finish your program in school. It's good to have that degree in a worthy course. Just have it.
Re: How Do I Persuade My Parents To Accept My Dreams by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 31, 2013
pickabeau1: stillwater opinion supported..

Do you have elders... u can bunk with them to get a breather

why do u think u have a good voice....

Have u attended voice training....
Are u in a choir...

But finish your study...
I'm in a choir....a lead singer....I also sing back up in studios... esp when I'm in school cos that's the only time I HV opportunity....
Re: How Do I Persuade My Parents To Accept My Dreams by pickabeau1: 6:01am On Nov 01, 2013
kayceemadug: I'm in a choir....a lead singer....I also sing back up in studios... esp when I'm in school cos that's the only time I HV opportunity....

Then you may be onto something...

Academically how sound are you
Re: How Do I Persuade My Parents To Accept My Dreams by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 01, 2013
pickabeau1:

Then you may be onto something...

Academically how sound are you
I'm a 4 pointer ...if u know what I mean
...I take my studies seriously...I take out time to balance myself...
Re: How Do I Persuade My Parents To Accept My Dreams by pickabeau1: 11:51am On Nov 01, 2013
kayceemadug: I'm a 4 pointer ...if u know what I mean
...I take my studies seriously...I take out time to balance myself...

In that case... i dont see anything wrong with your argument
You can roll solo but it is always better to engage your parents...

have a heart to heart with mum and let her know you appreciate her concerns but they should be rest assured considering your academic perfomance, and your morals (some believe the entertainment industry is decadent)

Then hear what she says...

If positive, good....
If negative, the choice is yours as long as you are true to yourself
Re: How Do I Persuade My Parents To Accept My Dreams by Fhemmmy: 1:44pm On Nov 01, 2013
Will it be possible for you to go ahead with your studies while you do your music on the side for now . . . Just in case the music never go as you plan, you will have something else to fall back on, or God forbid you lose your voice, what will be next.
I am not in support of you living the dream of your parents but again, try to find a common ground.
Good luck

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Woman Dead In Bournemouth Flat For Six Years Discovered / Urgent!!! Please How Will You Handle This Type Of Situation? / This Is Urgent Please...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.