Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,382 members, 7,881,381 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:11 PM

US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation (747 Views)

Husband Wants Divorce From Wife Because Of Sexual Starvation / Deciding A Child's Sexual Orientation? / My Wife Over Spiritual Orientation Is Driving Me Nuts!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by infonubia(m): 8:36pm On Oct 31, 2013
According to a press release by the American Family Association, a shocking announcement made by the American Psychiatric Association (APA) in its latest edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) caused an uproar among pro-family organizations and many others, as the APA states it now classifies pedophilia as a sexual orientation or preference instead of a disorder.

Sandy Rios, cultural expert and talk show host on the American Family Radio network, issued a statement on behalf of the American Family Association in response to the APA’s position on pedophilia:

Just as the APA declared homosexuality an ‘orientation’ under tremendous pressure from homosexual activists in the mid-'70s, now, under pressure from pedophile activists, they have declared the desire for sex with children an ‘orientation,’ too. It's not hard to see where this will lead. More children will become sexual prey.

Sanity will never return to this culture until truth is reclaimed. It is not now, nor has it ever been acceptable for men or women to desire sex with children. Any who struggle with this must at least know that it is wrong before they can combat it and seek change.

I had a similar discussion with a friend some weeks ago and he told me it's only a matter of time before pedophiles begin to claim that "I am born this way, this is who I am, can't change, accept me, tolerate me." Going by this press release, it's only a matter of time before bestiality makes it own case for acceptance.

To be fair to the APA, I found the DSM-5 fact sheet on paraphilic disorders and it only made mention of changing the name from "pedophilia" to "pedophilic disorder." I didn't see any mention of sexual orientation unless it is stated in the actual manual (which I couldn't find a free copy).

Also, I wouldn't' imagine that pedophiles are going to be allowed to indulge themselves in their criminal acts but there are already groups that support their cause.

Is this really a cause for concern or just another hype over nothing? Does classifying it as a sexual orientation have any bearing on the legality of carrying out acts of pedophilia? Share your thoughts.

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/10/american-psychiatric-association.html
Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by Sard(m): 11:34pm On Oct 31, 2013
I saw this coming, the same way homosexuality was declared to be sexual orientation rather than a disorder. The world is going crazy. NL gays/lesbians/pedophiles should spare me any hullabaloo, I only said my mind.

2 Likes

Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by infonubia(m): 12:04am On Nov 01, 2013
Sard: I saw this coming, the same way homosexuality was declared to be sexual orientation rather than a disorder. The world is going crazy. NL gays/lesbians/pedophiles should spare me any hullabaloo, I only said my mind.
Scary times...
Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by Connoisseur(m): 12:06am On Nov 01, 2013
I knew it was just a matter of time

Aru gbaa afo, o buru omenala
Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by Nobody: 12:34am On Nov 01, 2013
Yeah, the US lawmakers unlike ours would not try to legalize pedophilia. No matter the nomenclature from the APA, that will never give anyone the right to freely molest children.

In any case, the APA has said it was a mistake/quickly backtracked. They accidentally termed it as a sexual orientation instead of a deviant preference in a portion of the text.

*The APA said in its statement that “‘Sexual orientation’ is not a term used in the diagnostic criteria for pedophilic disorder and its use in the DSM-5 text discussion is an error and should read ‘sexual interest.’”

“In fact, APA considers pedophilic disorder a ‘paraphilia,’ not a ‘sexual orientation.’ This error will be corrected in the electronic version of DSM-5 and the next printing of the manual,” the organization said.*

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/31/apa-correct-manual-clarification-pedophilia-not-se/

It will be changed. End of discussion.
Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by infonubia(m): 1:32am On Nov 01, 2013
ileobatojo: Yeah, the US lawmakers unlike ours would not try to legalize pedophilia. No matter the nomenclature from the APA, that will never give anyone the right to freely molest children.

In any case, the APA has said it was a mistake/quickly backtracked. They accidentally termed it as a sexual orientation instead of a deviant preference in a portion of the text.

*The APA said in its statement that “‘Sexual orientation’ is not a term used in the diagnostic criteria for pedophilic disorder and its use in the DSM-5 text discussion is an error and should read ‘sexual interest.’”

“In fact, APA considers pedophilic disorder a ‘paraphilia,’ not a ‘sexual orientation.’ This error will be corrected in the electronic version of DSM-5 and the next printing of the manual,” the organization said.*

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/31/apa-correct-manual-clarification-pedophilia-not-se/

It will be changed. End of discussion.

Thanks! Just the article I needed to confirm that the APA actually wrote something like that in their publication. Good thing they are correcting it. However, I think the sexual orientation was definitely part of their discussion.
Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by Nobody: 4:03am On Nov 01, 2013
infonubia:

Thanks! Just the article I needed to confirm that the APA actually wrote something like that in their publication. Good thing they are correcting it. However, I think the sexual orientation was definitely part of their discussion.

The original publication made a clear distinction between pedophilia and pedophilic disorder. Pedophilia is simply the persistent sexual attraction to minors while pedophilic disorder is when this attraction is acted on. Therefore not all pe*dophiles have pedophilic disorder but everyone with pedophilic disorder is a pe*dophile.

So, there was always a distinction and they never said sleeping with children was normal. The problem was they accidentally called pedophilia a sexual orientation instead of calling it a deviant sexual preference (a paraphilia).

1 Like

Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by soulglo: 4:23am On Nov 01, 2013
ileobatojo:

The original publication made a clear distinction between pedophilia and pedophilic disorder. Pedophilia is simply the persistent sexual attraction to minors while pedophilic disorder is when this attraction is acted on. Therefore not all pe*dophiles have pedophilic disorder but everyone with pedophilic disorder is a pe*dophile.

So, there was always a distinction and they never said sleeping with children was normal. The problem was they accidentally called pedophilia a sexual orientation instead of calling it a deviant sexual preference (a paraphilia).

Thank you. Reading is fundamental and comprehension is key.
Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by AbuMikey(m): 8:43am On Nov 01, 2013

Shitty Mistake angry

Its good they quickly corrected their mistake,its not an intimate orientationangry

GaddemIt!!! undecided

The Likes of Yerima would have been Skelewing now grin

Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by pickabeau1: 9:31am On Nov 01, 2013
Sard: I saw this coming, the same way homosexuality was declared to be sexual orientation rather than a disorder. The world is going crazy. NL gays/lesbians/pedophiles should spare me any hullabaloo, I only said my mind.

True,...
Its a matter of time... they will revise the revision and bring it back...
Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by devilincarnate: 10:36am On Nov 01, 2013
Me i like intimacy with small girl because their toto is still tight not like these agbero sisters that full everywhere even nairaland . Legalise am joor
Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by Nobody: 11:42am On Nov 01, 2013
Just a matter of time. This is how it starts. APA say they made a mistake but, was it really a mistake? No editors around? No proof-reading done? It's already been placed in our consciousness, that's all that matters. It will raise its ugly head again. That's how homo-rights began, a few snippets here and there and before you know they're all over the place influencing election campaigns.
My take is, it might not be passed into law today or ten years from now but surely, the day cometh.

2 Likes

Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by glimpse(f): 11:49am On Nov 01, 2013
The US would soon say every perverted sexuality is an orientation....God help us ooooooooooooo cry
Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by pickabeau1: 12:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
fresh_dude: Just a matter of time. This is how it starts. APA say they made a mistake but, was it really a mistake? No editors around? No proof-reading done? It's already been placed in our consciousness, that's all that matters. It will raise its ugly head again. That's how homo-rights began, a few snippets here and there and before you know they're all over the place influencing election campaigns.
My take is, it might not be passed into law today or ten years from now but surely, the day cometh.

GBAM!!
Re: US Psychiatric Association Allegedly Classifies Pedophilia As Sexual Orientation by infonubia(m): 1:27pm On Nov 01, 2013
fresh_dude: Just a matter of time. This is how it starts. APA say they made a mistake but, was it really a mistake? No editors around? No proof-reading done? It's already been placed in our consciousness, that's all that matters. It will raise its ugly head again. That's how homo-rights began, a few snippets here and there and before you know they're all over the place influencing election campaigns.

That's right! They must have given it a thought. And what happens if they weren't called out? It could have been just another subtle mistake. I really think the backlash made them fix it quickly.

(1) (Reply)

What Age's Appropriate To Tell A Child He Or She's Adopted. / Sister Or Husband, Who Should She Pick / Whats The Best Newspaper In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.