Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,168 members, 7,880,654 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 11:51 PM

Do Africans Really This - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Africans Really This (2219 Views)

Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? / Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? / Why Do Africans Scar Themselves: Self Hate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Africans Really This by girl22(f): 4:57pm On Jul 10, 2008
i keep hearing aafricans go on and on about how funny black american names sound.
one person said even said we hold ourselves back by naming our kids funny names because they won't get jobs.

do african realize that your names sounds just as funny to people who are not africans?

do africans not get picked for a job becuase of their names?

indian names sound funny to people are not indian
european names so funny to people who are not european
asian names sound funny to people who are not asian

so of course our names will sound funny to people who are not african americans.

i know people who have laughed at african names. but do we criticize and dog them out? no.
Re: Do Africans Really This by Hero(m): 5:12pm On Jul 10, 2008
The prime-minister of Japan got into a bit of hot water a couple of years ago for publicly making fun of ex-Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo's name and stating that Africans as a whole have some Odd, funny names.
Re: Do Africans Really This by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 10, 2008
Another thread from the rumour mill.
I guess you have heard some of our names.
If you talk about names preventing a person from getting jobs, african names, indian names and arab names all trump AA names there.
The names don't seem to be stopping anyone.

what is "Do Africans Really This "
Re: Do Africans Really This by lucabrasi(m): 5:20pm On Jul 10, 2008
@girlj22
pls dont even start the african bashing as well,i v been reading your past comments and they make a lot of sense so dont spoil  it all by demeaning yourself with this kind of silly topic
first i dont know why an african will say aa name sounds funny seeing as they normally have english names and a large part of africa have english as their second language,so unless ur talking about the francophone nations of africa and even if people saqy some aa names sound funny it wont be a sweeping generalization because majority of aa have english names
Hero:

The prime-minister of Japan got into a bit of hot water a couple of years ago for publicly making fun of ex-Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo's name and stating that Africans as a whole have some Odd, funny names.
yes and so do the japanese,chinese,mongolian names sound funny and so do they have odd funny names too and im sure thats prolly why not many people heard the incident you r on about because its not holding much water coming from an oriental/far eastern
Re: Do Africans Really This by tpia: 6:30pm On Jul 10, 2008
@ OP

there are millions of Africans.

so every single one of them does this?

including myself, you mean?

You met me in person and I did what you're saying here?
Re: Do Africans Really This by naijadiva2(f): 6:36pm On Jul 10, 2008
girl22 seriously needs to get a life i wonder how old she is

of course people's names are gonna sound funny to outsiders.

and your talking about jobs? i bet you an african with an african name will get a job before your shaniqua's and delonte's.

i know people who have laughed at african names.

DUH! this is not new to us. we know they make fun of our names and so.

seriously, how old are we, some african on the streets(not on nairaland) talk about AA and you come here to pick out our flaws.
Re: Do Africans Really This by Nobody: 1:21am On Jul 12, 2008
Who gives two hoots about AA names? Plus, don't they have English names like: Will, Smith, Denzel,Washington,Samuel,Jackson, Jennifer, Rock etc.? What's funny about that?
Re: Do Africans Really This by Esss(m): 1:27am On Jul 12, 2008
Does African American names have any meaning??

Example

Sheniqua
Tamika
Shaquala
Shandra
Letoya
Tanya
Re: Do Africans Really This by SeanT21(f): 2:36am On Jul 12, 2008
Esss:

Does African American names have any meaning??

Example

Sheniqua
Tamika
Shaquala
Shandra
Letoya
Tanya

Does some nigerian names have any meaning

Ini EDO
Omotola Jalade Ekinde
Bibi Tang
Adeniyi
Ade

I think U get the point.
Re: Do Africans Really This by motunrayo4(f): 2:40am On Jul 12, 2008
Every Nigerian name has a meaning
Re: Do Africans Really This by naijadiva2(f): 2:49am On Jul 12, 2008
SeanT21:

Ini EDO
Omotola Jalade Ekinde
Bibi Tang
Adeniyi
Ade
I think You get the point.

of course.
Re: Do Africans Really This by tpia: 2:53am On Jul 12, 2008
SeanT21:

Ini EDO
Omotola Jalade Ekinde
Bibi Tang
Adeniyi
Ade

yes, all these names have meaning.

You should ask for the meaning, instead of assuming they have none.
Re: Do Africans Really This by GoldFinch(m): 3:05am On Jul 12, 2008
All Nigerian name have lovely meanings.

duh!

we don't just come up with any name. . . like Shenika or Bryonola or Nesley.

Jeez!
Re: Do Africans Really This by SeanT21(f): 3:09am On Jul 12, 2008
The point is the same way how AA names sound funny, Some Nigerian names sound funny also. So there should be no reason to make fun of AA names. Once it appeal to them, it don't matter what U think of it.
Re: Do Africans Really This by naijadiva2(f): 3:14am On Jul 12, 2008
but you were making it seem like we(nigerians) do not have names that have meaning

SeanT21:

Ini EDO
Omotola Jalade Ekinde
Bibi Tang
Adeniyi
Ade

and besides, realistically, there's no such name as an american name unless you're talking about native american names. names that white and black americans have have an origin that is not american. most english names are basically bible names.
Re: Do Africans Really This by maxell(f): 3:25am On Jul 12, 2008
SeanT21:

Ini EDO
Omotola Jalade Ekinde
Bibi Tang
Adeniyi
Ade

And you claim to be from Liberia ?

You really are an idiot.

You are a disgrace to your fatherland for writing a post like that. I guess your being in America has sucked up every ounce
of common sense in you.

A true african knows all african names have meanings. All those names you, SeanT21 listed, are african names with
meanings.

I pardon the likes of girl22 and Hero; they are simply ignorant. They expect someone from africa to have an english
sounding name like thompson, which is not possible because we are from a different part of the world. All one
needs is a 5th grade education to realize this.

But for you SeanT21, who claims to be from Liberia, to write down Nigerian names and ask a redundant question
as to whether they have any meanings, it just tells me you are completely lost and don't know your roots.
Re: Do Africans Really This by motunrayo4(f): 3:28am On Jul 12, 2008
naija_diva:

but you were making it seem like we(nigerians) do not have names that have meaning

and besides, realistically, there's no such name as an american name unless you're talking about native american names. names that white and black americans have have an origin that is not american. most english names are basically bible names.
True. . .true
maxell:

You really are an idiot.

You are a disgrace to your fatherland for writing a post like that. I guess your being in America has sucked up every ounce
of common sense in you.

A true african knows all african names have meanings. All those names you, SeanT21 listed, are african names with
meanings.

I pardon the likes of girl22 and Hero; they are simply ignorant. They expect someone from africa to have an english
sounding name like thompson, which is not possible because we are from a different part of the world. All one

But for you SeanT21, who claims to be from Liberia, to write down Nigerian names and ask a redundant question
as to whether they have any meanings, it just tells me you are completely lost and don't know your roots.

LMAO

Back to topic. . . all yoruba names usually translate to atleast one English sentence
Re: Do Africans Really This by CH3COO(m): 3:29am On Jul 12, 2008
maxell, you will have to forgive her. she's naturally stupid.
Re: Do Africans Really This by maxell(f): 3:32am On Jul 12, 2008
CH3COO:

maxell, you will have to forgive her. she's naturally stupid.

lol CH3COO

SeanT21:

The point is the same way how AA names sound funny, Some Nigerian names sound funny also. So there should be no reason to make fun of AA names. Once it appeal to them, it don't matter what You think of it.

You are once again making a complete fool of yourself. People's name are bound to sound different if they come from a
different part of the world.

Our african names are direct reflections of our african roots; our names have meanings. We don't arbitrarily come up with
names like Shaniqua and shenehneh.
Re: Do Africans Really This by naijadiva2(f): 3:34am On Jul 12, 2008
maxell:

You are once again making a complete fool of yourself. People's name are bound to sound different if they come from a
different part of the world.

Our african names are direct reflections of our african roots; our names have meanings. We don't arbitrarily come up with
names like[b] Shaniqua[/b] and shenehneh.

shaniqua must be a popular name on NL. when u think AA name, the first one on the list is shaniqua.
Re: Do Africans Really This by Nobody: 3:37am On Jul 12, 2008
SeanT21, Nigerian names have local meanings that are rooted in the language.
For example - Ade means crown in yoruba.

Now can you tell me what language Sheniqua comes from and what it means?
Re: Do Africans Really This by naijadiva2(f): 3:40am On Jul 12, 2008
davidylan:

another one, lol, i should keep track of how many times sheniqua's been used. so far on this post only, about 5.
Re: Do Africans Really This by SeanT21(f): 3:41am On Jul 12, 2008
maxell:

You really are an idiot.

of common sense in you.

meanings.

My Dear I wasn't talking about meaning. I was talking about the way it sounded to people. The poster said that some
Nigerians bash AA names. All i was saying is that Nigerians names sound funny to AA also. So what is the point in making fun of AA names when yours doesn't make sense to them. It goes both way. AA names have meaning to them. It doesn't have to relate to you. Same with Yours.

davidylan:

The name Sheniqua is a baby girl name. The name Sheniqua comes from the African-American origin. In English the meaning of the name Sheniqua is: A version of the name Shanika, meaning God is gracious.
Re: Do Africans Really This by naijadiva2(f): 3:47am On Jul 12, 2008
My Dear I wasn't talking about meaning. I was talking about the way it sounded to people. The poster said that some
Nigerians bash AA names. All i was saying is that Nigerians names sound funny to AA also. So what is the point in making fun of AA names when yours doesn't make sense to them. It goes both way. AA names have meaning to them. It doesn't have to relate to you. Same with Yours

you actually started by mentioning name meanings.

SeanT21:

Ini EDO
Omotola Jalade Ekinde
Bibi Tang
Adeniyi
Ade

Re: Do Africans Really This by SeanT21(f): 3:51am On Jul 12, 2008
It was a response to , ESSS
Re: Do Africans Really This by naijadiva2(f): 4:00am On Jul 12, 2008
SeanT21:

It was a response to , ESSS

okay but your response to her didn't make sense because she asked do aa name's have meaning and you reponded do nigerian names have meaning. of course our names have meaning but i wouldn't know it aa names have meaning cuz i do not know about their names origin.
Re: Do Africans Really This by SeanT21(f): 4:11am On Jul 12, 2008
naija_diva:

okay but your response to her didn't make sense because she asked do aa name's have meaning and you reponded do nigerian names have meaning. of course our names have meaning but i wouldn't know it aa names have meaning because i do not know about their names origin.

I was trying to explain that the same way AA names have no meaning to Nigerians, Nigerians names have no meaning to AA. I was speaking from an AA perspective. I know all african names have meaning but that doesn't give others the right to make fun of AA names. it has meaning to them eventhough it don't make sense to us. It represent what they went through and where they grew up.
Re: Do Africans Really This by naijadiva2(f): 4:16am On Jul 12, 2008
SeanT21:

I was trying to explain that the same way AA names have no meaning to Nigerians, Nigerians names have no meaning to AA. I was speaking from an AA perspective. I know all african names have meaning but that doesn't give others the right to make fun of AA names. it has meaning to them eventhough it don't make sense to us. It represent what they went through and where they grew up.

AAs KNOW ALL AFRICAN NAMES HAVE MEANING. after they ask me my name the question that always follows is what does it mean, but if they tell you their name is shaquanda or donte and then u ask them what it means, a lot of them will tell you , i don't know, or my mother and father combined their names.
Re: Do Africans Really This by SeanT21(f): 4:27am On Jul 12, 2008
naija_diva:

AAs KNOW ALL AFRICAN NAMES HAVE MEANING. after they ask me my name the question that always follows is what does it mean, but if they tell you their name is shaquanda or donte and then u ask them what it means, a lot of them will tell you , i don't know, or my mother and father combined their names.

They don't know because their parents just heard it from somewhere and decided to give it to them. As U may know, many people in the US have no tradition compare to those in Africa. Africa is built on Culture and Tradition. America is built on reformation. Their names do have meaning but they have no idea because they are not in contact with their culture or traditions of their forefathers.

When people think of AA names why do they thinks of Ghetto-Ass names like Shaquanda, Donte or sheniqua. AA names go way beyond that.
Re: Do Africans Really This by naijadiva2(f): 4:32am On Jul 12, 2008
SeanT21:

They don't know because their parents just heard it from somewhere and decided to give it to them. As You may know, many people in the US have no tradition compare to those in Africa. Africa is built on Culture and Tradition. America is built on reformation. Their names do have meaning but they have no idea because they are not in contact with their culture or traditions of their forefathers.

When people think of AA names why do they thinks of Ghetto-Ass names like Shaquanda, Donte or sheniqua. AA names go way beyond that.

like what?
Re: Do Africans Really This by SeanT21(f): 4:39am On Jul 12, 2008
naija_diva:

like what?

why u trippin, U know that not all AA have names like that.

Here goes some,

Barrack
Michelle
Amber
Darius
Fatima
Felicia
Gloria
Alicia
Aaliyah
Kenya
Danielle
Briana
Brittany
Bree

I personally have not met a AA with a name like Sheniqua. My friend name is Lashieka. That is the closest i came.
Re: Do Africans Really This by naijadiva2(f): 4:50am On Jul 12, 2008
SeanT21:

why u trippin, You know that not all AA have names like that.

Here goes some,

Barrack
Michelle
Amber
Darius
Fatima
Felicia
Gloria
Alicia
Aaliyah
Kenya
Danielle
Briana
Brittany
Bree

I personally have not met a AA with a name like Sheniqua. My friend name is Lashieka. That is the closest i came.

Barrack-arabic name
Michelle- french and english
Amber-
Darius- bible name
Fatima- arabic name
Felicia-
Gloria- spanish name
Alicia-
Aaliyah- arabic name
Kenya- typica
Danielle- french name
Briana- english name
Brittany- european name
Bree- short from of some names like briana and brittany

You know that not all AA have names like that

i know that but they point at first was what do they mean? the non "ghetto names" are mostly names that are from other places.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is "Cup" Called In Your Native Language? / Areas In Naija And How Their Boys Behave / On The Ownership Of Lagos!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.