Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,203 members, 7,974,052 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 02:40 PM

When And Engine Oil Is Overguaged In Your Car. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When And Engine Oil Is Overguaged In Your Car. (2014 Views)

Transmission Oil And Engine Oil / Car Mileage And Engine Performance / The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When And Engine Oil Is Overguaged In Your Car. by segunjowo(m): 7:12pm On Nov 01, 2013
Please what is the effect of an overgauged engine oil on the engine performance? I bought a litter engine oil from a filling station to top up the oil level on my car and just discovered the new oil level is above the gauge mark. I hope it isn't as bad as when the engine oil is undergauged, or short?
Auto engineers, pls comment.
Re: When And Engine Oil Is Overguaged In Your Car. by Ikenna351(m): 9:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
Plenty.

It will kill the main bearing oil seal, among other things.

Simply, unplug the oil drain plug and drain out some quantity and re-tight the plug. Yes, its likely to go below normal gauge when you do that. But thats the price you have to pay. You can always buy new can of oil of the same oil grade in the engine, and gradually refill to normal level on the dipstick.

Ikenna
Re: When And Engine Oil Is Overguaged In Your Car. by segunjowo(m): 6:12pm On Nov 02, 2013
Ikenna. Thanks. I will drain the oil a little to the required level.

(1) (Reply)

Innoson Motors: Most Innovative Entrepreneur 2013 / Engine Oil Shortage In Toyota Rav4, 2007 Model / What Is The Price Of First Grade Tokunbo Engine For Mazda 626

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.