Stats: 3,173,288 members, 7,887,850 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 03:11 PM

BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break (1968 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Breaking: ASUU Strike Continues As FG, Lecturers Meeting Deadlocked / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by johntousin(m): 7:47pm On Nov 04, 2013
The ongoing meeting between President Goodluck Jonathan and the leaders of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, is on a 15-minute break.

The break commenced at about 6:30 p.m at the presidential villa, Abuja, venue of the meeting.

The meeting is the first between the striking lecturers and Mr. Jonathan since the nationwide strike started on July 1.

The lecturers were seen meeting among themselves in their bus during the break.

Details later…

——————————————————————-

Synopsis of the contentious 2009 agreement

The agreement included details such as the breakdown of lecturers’ salary structure, staff loans, pension, overtime, and moderation of examinations.

Part of the agreement dwelt on funding of universities where both parties agreed that each federal university should get at least N1.5 trillion between 2009 and 2011 while state universities, within the same period, should receive N3.6 million per student.

The agreement also had parts that asked the re-negotiation committee to ensure that at least 26 percent of Nigeria’s annual budget was allocated to education, and half of that allocation to universities.

The agreement also asked that the 2004 Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB, Act, and the National University Commission Act 2004, be amended.

Text of the suggested amendment bills – including suggestion for amendment of the Education (National Minimum Standards and Establishment of Institutions) Act 2004 – were provided in the agreements.

The agreement was signed by Bolanle Babalakin, the then chairman of Committee of Pro-Chancellors of Federal Universities; Gamaliel Onosode, chairman of the re-negotiation committee; and Ukachukwu Awuzei, the then president of ASUU.

The agreement demanded a heavy financial commitment from the government and was an adaptation of an earlier agreement reached in 2001.

It is unclear how much of the agreement have been implemented by the government.

However, the secretary to the federation, Pius Anyim, after one of the recent failed negotiations, said that most of the issues contained in the 2009 agreement, had been fully met except for the earned allowances estimated at N92 billion.

“Some of the issues which bothered on amendment of pensionable retirement age of academics in the professorial cadre, consolidated peculiar allowances (CONPUAA)- exclusively for university teaching staff, National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), setting up of budget monitoring committee in all public universities have been fully implemented,” he disclosed.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/147805-breaking-ASUU-strike-jonathans-meeting-lecturers-15-mins-break.html
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 04, 2013
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by abimbs: 7:56pm On Nov 04, 2013
i prayed dis meeting work out for gud o
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Sbrainy(m): 7:58pm On Nov 04, 2013
thanks @ poster but mixt feelings until we hear it is called off accompanied by an official letter by Nasir Fagge
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by richybanky(m): 8:03pm On Nov 04, 2013
abimbs: i prayed dis meeting work out for gud o
Amen oooo cus am tayad of staying at home
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Vickfrank62(m): 8:17pm On Nov 04, 2013
richybanky:
Amen oooo cus am tayad of staying at home
same here
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Dubemkelly(m): 8:23pm On Nov 04, 2013
Matters arising...Hope dey trash it out n produce sth fruitful
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by ayusco85(m): 8:25pm On Nov 04, 2013
From what i just heard about this strike on AIT news, i think the president truly wants this strike to end tonight. They are still in the meeting. Please holy spirit should touch nasir fagge's heart to shift ground. Government haff tried biko.
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 04, 2013
pls all i want to hear is, [size=45]THE STRIKE HAS BEEN CALLED OFF!![/size]
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Bashimi: 8:27pm On Nov 04, 2013
ayusco85: From what i just heard about this strike on AIT news, i think the president truly wants this strike to end tonight. They are still in the meeting. Please holy spirit should touch nasir fagge's heart to shift ground. Government haff tried biko.
pls what did u hear, we no get light o
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 04, 2013
Fabulousuzo: pls all i want to hear is, [size=45]THE STRIKE HAS BEEN CALLED OFF!![/size]

cut it kid, am thinking otherwise

Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Lawconfessor(f): 8:30pm On Nov 04, 2013
^^

AMEN
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by annexes: 8:39pm On Nov 04, 2013
Finally, resumption date has been decided, 20/01/2014.

Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by babatea10(m): 8:42pm On Nov 04, 2013
annexes: Finally, resumption date has been decided, 20/01/2014.
unserious type
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 04, 2013
I just liked your post.
GBAM 20/1/2014 it is...

Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 04, 2013
Bashimi: pls what did u heard we no get light o

Are you for real? And u want to go back to school? How did u manage to finish ur primary school in the 1st place? grin

@topic, what's the 15mins break for? Are they doing som juggings to refresh demselvs?

Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by johntousin(m): 8:49pm On Nov 04, 2013
With You on This!
ondo_boi: I just liked your post.
GBAM 20/1/2014 it is...

Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by tosinjoe(m): 8:50pm On Nov 04, 2013
i'm sure u stole ds from my mind..

Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Olugbenger(m): 8:51pm On Nov 04, 2013
'

Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by tchigofigo(m): 8:55pm On Nov 04, 2013
yeee!WHAT DID U HEARD? oyaa.,go back to ur primary sch go collect ur change..or collect all ur fees back..,@mods, because of dis gbagaun, make sure dis does nt get to front page o

Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by horlatunde(m): 9:04pm On Nov 04, 2013
If i hear "ASUU meeting ended in deadlock". Den I
will conclude that an oath was involved in the
2009 agreement
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Bashimi: 9:20pm On Nov 04, 2013
tchigofigo:
yeee!WHAT DID U HEARD? oyaa.,go back to ur primary sch go collect ur change..or collect all ur fees back..,@mods, because of dis gbagaun, make sure dis does nt get to front page o
u re a fool to tell me dat,i was in hurry dat is why
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by fabby26(m): 9:32pm On Nov 04, 2013

Guy, you no try at all.Eheeeee.........What's the name of that primary school you attended pls?

Ok, it's unfair the two critics failed to correct you. Please I dey beg you, anytime you use the past tense "did" know that any verb that follows it will be in the present. So you should have said "What did you hear". Incase of next time abeg . No fall our hand o. grin
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by fabby26(m): 9:37pm On Nov 04, 2013
Bashimi: u re a fool to tell me dat,i was in hurry dat is why

This mistake has nothing to do with being in a hurry.that's what thousands of people that make such mistake say to cover their ignorance. Just accept the correction. Not trying to be too harsh on you though. But don't call him a fool. Next time before you post, try to edit your spellings because nobody wan hear say na mistake or you're in a hurry.
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by Tuntheycr7: 11:12pm On Nov 04, 2013
RedBenson:

Are you for real? And u want to go back to school? How did u manage to finish ur primary school in the 1st place? grin

@topic, what's the 15mins break for? Are they doing som juggings to refresh demselvs?
Hymmmm lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: BREAKING: ASUU Strike: Jonathan’s Meeting With Lecturers On 15 Mins Break by annexes: 3:33am On Nov 05, 2013
babatea10: unserious type
hyper-serious type.

10 Top Reasons Why You Get Tired While Reading / 22-year-old Lady Emerges As UI Best Graduating Student In Physiotherapy Dept / Delta State School Of Marine Burutu, Form 2015/2016 Session Is Now On Sale. Call