Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,011 members, 7,899,625 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 04:13 PM

Landrover Freelander - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Landrover Freelander (5158 Views)

LANDROVER FREELANDER. What Are The Pros & Cons Of Its Usage In Nigeria. / / 1999 Landrover Freelander Manual Transmission 1.2m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landrover Freelander by madeworite(f): 10:07am On Jul 12, 2008
I intend to buy a land rover freelander and i will like to assess it in terms of reliability ,durability, availability of parts,fuel consumption and ease finding mechanics.

please i need contributions from landers, most importantly how much does the 2001 model cost in nigeria.
Re: Landrover Freelander by fotodaddy: 12:19pm On Jul 12, 2008
This was one of the cars on my list before I chose a pathfinder.

I read up and found good reviews but after speaking with owners of the Freelander, I quickly changed my mind.

They appear plagued with un-SUV like problems, are constantly disappointing and are generally unreliable. sad

As of right now, I am yet to meet or talk to one owner of that model freelander, that didnt tell me of their disappointment.

Hope it helps you. Keep in mind that this is Nigeria and you will be limited by bad roads, poor mechanics etc!! wink
Re: Landrover Freelander by madeworite(f): 1:28pm On Jul 12, 2008
many thanks bruv, engineer sienna wat do you think sir?
Re: Landrover Freelander by cybersleek(m): 1:36pm On Jul 12, 2008
Hi Made,

I wouldn't advice you to go for a freelander, nor any Rover apart from those made in collaboration with Honda, or the range rover bought brand new. The free landers are particularly prone to cylinder head problems, as i think they share the rover k- series engines that some rover cars carry. Plus, the parts cost an arm and a leg, most especially in Nigeria! If you are interested in an SUV, i think it would be worth your while to consider going oriental i.e toyota, nissan etc. Above all, best of luck in your seach.
Re: Landrover Freelander by earthrealm(m): 7:43pm On Jul 12, 2008
try a honda crv or a toyota rav 4,
they r small n cute, very ideal 4 a lady, or even a guy,

the pathfinder is on the large side,
Re: Landrover Freelander by ssRhino: 5:08am On Jul 13, 2008
I will advice a Toyota or a Nissan, where is the sis located, because if you are not a residence of nigeria, why do u care about the cost of parts and repairs when you can easily walk into a dealership for a fix, but if you reside in nija with the bad road and all the potholes, if you like it big, do the Pathfinder, Toyota Sequoia, or even an MDX, if you want to go small and still look cute, do a CRV, Rav4 or a Nissan Xterra. Good luck
FYI, if you must buy freelander, you could get one bought, shipped and cleared in nigeria for 1.4M, interested? let us talk
Re: Landrover Freelander by nkc(m): 5:29am On Jul 13, 2008
my dear

i would say dont buy a rover, be it range rover or land rover or water rover, cos its parts cost an arm and a leg, if u stay in abuja, just visit coscharis ESTATE, not office, u will see so many brand new rovers packed, cos of one silly thing or the other, just get as earlier adviced other jeeps, i personally would go with d MDX, small and cute, not small like crv and rav 4 small, but not big , like pathfinder and sequioa
Re: Landrover Freelander by ssRhino: 5:43am On Jul 13, 2008
nkc, how about we get the sister a nice MDX according to her budget, i could arrange a nice 2004 for her for just $25,000 on the average, if u dont mind a 2001 model, you wil be looking 2M on da average.
Re: Landrover Freelander by Hounslow(m): 10:33am On Jul 13, 2008
I think the pathfinder is a good buy. A friend of mine just cleared one from the port that he wants to sell. It is a 2005 model though.

1 Share

Re: Landrover Freelander by fotodaddy: 1:55pm On Jul 13, 2008
Hounslow, looks like your pathy is the 2WD version!!! I trust your price is very good on account of that.
Re: Landrover Freelander by Kays1(m): 4:26pm On Jul 13, 2008
What a baby !!!
Re: Landrover Freelander by ssRhino: 10:21pm On Jul 13, 2008
Posted on: Today at 10:33:31 AMPosted by: Hounslow
Insert Quote
I think the pathfinder is a good buy. A friend of mine just cleared one from the port that he wants to sell. It is a 2005 model though.

Price and Mileage, and specify if the posted one if the exact one u offering for sale
Re: Landrover Freelander by Kays1(m): 10:34pm On Jul 13, 2008
How much is it ? @$$Rhino how much is the car ?
Re: Landrover Freelander by ssRhino: 11:16pm On Jul 13, 2008
Kay$, i wasnt the one that posted it, however, cld get u a nice one 4x4 for the price of 2.6M
Re: Landrover Freelander by Kays1(m): 11:30pm On Jul 13, 2008
Whats the last price ?
Re: Landrover Freelander by Hounslow(m): 12:59am On Jul 14, 2008
$$Rhino:

Price and Mileage, and specify if the posted one if the exact one u offering for sale

Yes, this is the exact one offered for sale. I do not intend to hijack this thread though. Please see the thread below for more pictures and price:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-150775.0.html
Re: Landrover Freelander by landis(m): 8:55am On Jul 14, 2008
nkc:

my dear

i would say don't buy a rover, be it range rover or land rover or water rover, because its parts cost an arm and a leg, if u stay in abuja, just visit coscharis ESTATE, not office, u will see so many brand new rovers packed, because of one silly thing or the other, just get as earlier adviced other jeeps, i personally would go with d MDX, small and cute, not small like crv and rav 4 small, but not big , like pathfinder and sequioa

where is the estate? you dont use range rover, if you dont have money. It is not for every body. It is HIGH-END.
Re: Landrover Freelander by Gamine(f): 9:02am On Jul 14, 2008
Theres nothing wrong with the Freelander.
It may be high end but if u get money buy it oh.

someone i know just had to make some repairs of 750,000
just one week after rocking the car.

With The current situation of pet prices in naija
just know that the car is a guzzler and if u still like go ahead.

Atleast the look of envy from those in their Cr-Vs Hr-vs n what hav u
may be worth it
Re: Landrover Freelander by Pmama: 11:00am On Jul 14, 2008
$$Rhino could you please help me find out the cost of 2003 infinity QX4 from the states, full option i.e 4wd automatic transmission etc,including the cost of shipment to Nigeria and also how much it will take to clear it clearing. Pleaseeeeee help.
Re: Landrover Freelander by landis(m): 12:15pm On Jul 14, 2008
Pmama:

$$Rhino could you please help me find out the cost of 2003 infinity QX4 from the states, full option i.e 4wd automatic transmission etc,including the cost of shipment to Nigeria and also how much it will take to clear it clearing. Pleaseeeeee help.

I am amazed all the time. No offence.

If you guys can post, why can't you also apply same to google/ebay for information.

simple ebay shows below:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks___W0QQMake247a0eZInfinitie2cce38QQModel4710b09ZQ51X413aedQQModelYearf0c65f14Z20031774c1QQ_flnZ1QQ_sopZQQ_ssovZ1QQ_madZ1
Re: Landrover Freelander by viperman: 1:30pm On Jul 14, 2008
@POSTER

Hi lady,

When you decide on which you wanna buy, call me on 08068097693 or 07028415845 grin grin grin

But a word of advice: Don't buy any Freelander Model less than 2006 model.

Viperman.
Re: Landrover Freelander by ssRhino: 1:48pm On Jul 14, 2008
For a 2003, if you want the 2WD, buying and shipping alone, you will be looking at an average of 1.85M while you will be looking at average of 2M for a 4x4 which i blv is a better buy for nigerian roads.
Clearing of such vehicle in Nigeria will be in the range of 350 to 400K +/- 20K
Please note my $$ conversion is at rate of 120N to 1$
Re: Landrover Freelander by komekn(m): 2:19pm On Jul 14, 2008
This was my contribution on another thread where the woeful Freelander was the topic of discussion. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=89321.msg2129874#msg2129874

I am not a mechanic, but four of my friends bought the Freelander 1.8 brand new in Nigeria, before 50k miles engine failure and one gearbox failure as well, their opinion it’s useless.

One of my friend in the UK had one same problem engine failure, the car is a lemon, the guys overhear have some recourse through trading standards and the dealers on the warranty.

I know that’s not the case in Nigeria, and if anybody has dealt with Coscharis I have and I can tell you competence is not a meal they serve regularly.

Just to give you more insight with tales of woe on the Freelander, check this out http://www.freelanderheadgasket.co.uk/

My advice is to leave well alone. shocked
Re: Landrover Freelander by earthrealm(m): 10:32am On Aug 01, 2008
how do u know that it aint a 4wd?
is it cos of the lack of auxilliary gear stick/,

me thinks this is an AWD VERSION, peeps pls comment, cos i araely see the aux gear stick on new 4x4 cars anymore
Re: Landrover Freelander by sonety2k(m): 9:52pm On Sep 13, 2008
Why don't you go for - HONDA CRV , TOYOTA RAV4 , NISSAN XTERRA OR MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER

Regard
Re: Landrover Freelander by todomon: 3:37pm On Jul 08, 2009
Всем привет,

Кому надо

DVD ROM RUSSIA (NAVTEQ)

2008-2009 год производство Япония

под авто с touchscreen

mail: shtoozer@yandex.ru

Всем пока!
Re: Landrover Freelander by osculate(m): 3:59pm On Jul 08, 2009
@todomon

Где расположены машины и сколько вы его для продажи.

Ура
Re: Landrover Freelander by Duewaftesse: 7:51pm On Feb 06, 2011

Re: Landrover Freelander by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 06, 2011
I would leave the 1st generation Landrover Freelander well alone.

It's under powered in 1,8L Rover K-series, and prone to cylinder head problems. The 2,5L V6 is no better - more power, but essentially a Rover K-series. The 2,0L turbo diesel came in two versions - Rover's L-series, which was a nail! Later replaced with BMW's excellent 2,0L TDS. The transmission, both in auto and manual guise, are useless off-road, blown differentials and transfer cases are common. There are several in scrap yards, where they belong.

One of the least deserving of the off-road or SUV tag.
Re: Landrover Freelander by surjema: 8:35am On Jul 21, 2011
I intend to buy a 2001/2002 Nissan Xterra and i will like to assess it in terms of reliability ,durability, availability of parts,fuel consumption and ease finding mechanics.

please i need contributions from landers, most importantly how much does the 2001 model cost now in nigeria.
Re: Landrover Freelander by sexylogan(m): 1:54pm On Jul 21, 2011
the jeep liberty is one one the best rated suv's in terms of off road capability and off road ability. The downside is that they hav very poor fuel economy. The car is a guzzler. But if buying fuel regularly isnt ur problem, then this ride is for u.

(1) (Reply)

SOUND PROOF POWER PLANTS GENERATORS FOR SALE/HIRE WITHIN PH CITY / 06 Lr3 Used Fully Loaded @ 2.8m. 08 Corolla 9ja Used @1.650m. 04 Eod @ 900k / Extremely Sharp! 2006 Ford Escape XLT.. price reviewed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.