Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,688 members, 7,892,753 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 04:56 PM

UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant (10659 Views)

UBTH Records Second Stem Cell Transplant For Sickle Cell Patient / First Stem Cell Transplant In Nigeria / Engineered Stem Cells Kill HIV Infected Cells In A Living Organism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 12, 2013
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Atmosfear: 10:29am On Nov 12, 2013
Medical science is great !!!!! This is a real miracle to disappoint the bible miracle merchants like TB Joshua, Adeboye, Oyedekpo et al.

This "miracle" department cashcow will soon close for them. Up science!! grin
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by bright007(f): 10:44am On Nov 12, 2013
Atmosfear: Medical science is great !!!!! This is a real miracle to disappoint the bible miracle merchants like TB Joshua, Adeboye, Oyedekpo et al.

This "miracle" department cashcow will soon close for them. Up science!! grin
mumu...Havent you read that "If the Lord does not watch over the city, the watchman watchet in vain".Simply put,if the Lord does not approve that the stem transplant be successful,the doctor is just embarking on a futile operation.

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by qplus(m): 10:54am On Nov 12, 2013
Team work makes d dream work. Am a special machines engineer with UBTH.

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by FILEBE(m): 10:56am On Nov 12, 2013
iterator25: you're the one pulling Nigeria backwards sad
with which rope i take pull Nigeria backward? Don't face the problems of Nigeria o...be there using me as an excuse 4 Nigeria's slow growth. You could have just answerd my question if u knew it.
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Feraz(m): 10:56am On Nov 12, 2013
Kudos to UBTH.
TeamUniben.. cool
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by olorunwa04(m): 11:10am On Nov 12, 2013
I served at the stem cell transplant centre during my NYSC days at UBTH as the assistant pharmacist, that was N0v 2011/2012, I witnessed the beginning of the operation for the second patient, while the first patient was discharged as I got to the centre, it was a wonderful experience I would forever cherish. Long live UBTH, Long live federal Republic of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Abali1(m): 11:16am On Nov 12, 2013
FILEBE: Pls. Someone shuld pls educate us about stem cells transplant. Dnt tell me to check Google o. I prefer the the summary.
Ok. Since you won't consult google (I will also not consult google).
I believe that Stem Cell Transplant has to do with removing the bone marrow from a healhty individual and transplanting it (or putting it) in the marrow of the patient who needs it.
The bone marrow is where blood is manufatured. Before, stem cell transplant) was normally used to cure people with Lukeamia (cancer of the blood). But with advance in medical science it is being introduced in the cure of Sickle Cell patients. Also, there is another cure which is the transplanting of Umblical Cord Blood in babies.
NB
Most of these curative methods are done for children and adolecents.
A doctor can explain better or still try google.

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by creativemusic: 11:18am On Nov 12, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Abali1(m): 11:21am On Nov 12, 2013
taharqa: Thank you too..... Although, I heard from d NTA and that d actual total cost for this particular operation was #2.5million (although d UBTH would bear some of this cost). It seems the cost was increased this time around. The young boy in question was interviewed in that news item, and he has not been released cos he has not been able to fully pay his part of d cost... There has to be a Subsidy (Or rather a Susport System) that significantly reduces the associated costs for patients. Sickle Cell Ameania is a 'Black man' disease; and Nigeria has d largest carriers worldwide...
Be adviced that it is racially discriminatory to say that Sickle Cell is the 'Black Mans' disease. There are people of other races who suffer from Sickle Cell Anaemia.
Yes, Nigeria is arguably the largets carriers because we have a very large population..
NB
We have the Sickle Cell Center in Lagos, but I doubt that they will ever support this type of Initiative at UBTH.

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by chris365(m): 11:39am On Nov 12, 2013
femogbangba: The most pertinent question is will Jonathan or Shepopo or any member of their family go to UBTH to undergo a stem cell transplant?

The last time shepopo had headache, we didnt see her for weeks cus she was being treated abroad.

you need your brain to be checked for irregularities. do you even know what a stem transplant is and the kind of people that should undergo such operation? you are one of the diseases killing the minds of the Nigerian youth. smh

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by arabbunkum: 11:53am On Nov 12, 2013
And who said that Naija is not working ?
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by corruptst(m): 12:03pm On Nov 12, 2013
taharqa: I just dey laugh.....
Is there a stem cell transplantation for madness
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Flexneri: 12:10pm On Nov 12, 2013
Dr. Bazauye my man aπϑ hematology lecturer back in d days,ur training on stem cell transplant no be waste. Congrats!
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by naijalodge(m): 12:49pm On Nov 12, 2013
i REP The Greatest University of Benin....Home of Genius....
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Copee: 1:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
Great Uniben
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by texazzpete(m): 1:04pm On Nov 12, 2013
bright007: mumu...Havent you read that "If the Lord does not watch over the city, the watchman watchet in vain".Simply put,if the Lord does not approve that the stem transplant be successful,the doctor is just embarking on a futile operation.

I hope you realize that your logic is also saying the Lord approves of every successful armed robbery episode too?

This is a thorny issue (why good or bad things happen). It's a topic you're advised to steer clear of before one of the NL atheists descends on you cheesy

3 Likes

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Didi5(m): 1:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
I love you Uniben.....knowledge for service.....res ipsa loquitur.......
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Didi5(m): 1:20pm On Nov 12, 2013
Doc_Miss: .
#TeamUniben

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by taharqa: 1:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
Abali1:
Be adviced that it is racially discriminatory to say that Sickle Cell is the 'Black Mans' disease. There are people of other races who suffer from Sickle Cell Anaemia.
Yes, Nigeria is arguably the largets carriers because we have a very large population..
NB
We have the Sickle Cell Center in Lagos, but I doubt that they will ever support this type of Initiative at UBTH.
1st, there is nothing like 'race' biological speaking, just Population Clusters and Clines; that's why I en-quoted 'Black man'. But you are right: Sickle Cell Anaemia isn't strictly a disease of 'Black' people, even though the vast majority of people who are carriers are 'Black' Or are descendants of 'Black', esp if they are carrying d Benin-type Variation of d disease (which with d Cameroon-type, are d most pervasive in d world). It is important to stress though that this propensity for 'Black' people and/or their descendants to been carriers of d Variation isn't 'racial' or have any particularly innate biological reasons, but just a Variation that came about and was increased in frequency as an inherited trait due to d need for Africans living in a tropical and wet environment for thousands of years to deal with d menance of Malaria...... Thanks though for d observation and correction
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Atmosfear: 4:27pm On Nov 12, 2013
texazzpete:

I hope you realize that your logic is also saying the Lord approves of every successful armed robbery episode too?

This is a thorny issue (why good or bad things happen). It's a topic you're advised to steer clear of before one of the NL atheists descends on you cheesy

Thank you texa. "Spiro" Bright (is not bright either) displays the ignorance imposed by religion.God "approves" sickle cell and when man finds the cure he cannot help but "approve" again for the delusion to be sustained. Black man wake up!! The dark ages is over!

Bright is still seeking "fruit of the womb" and "life partner" promised by MoG.

Soon no more "deliverance" from sickle cell! I'm so elated this was done in my Ugbowo neighborhood. Up UBTH!!!
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by omonla555: 4:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
This is the second good news about this country Nigeria this month.

1. FIFA under 17 World Cup
2. UBTH stem cell transplant

Nigeria will get there.
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Atmosfear: 4:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
taharqa: 1st, there is nothing like 'race' biological speaking, just Population Clusters and Clines; that's why I en-quoted 'Black man'. But you are right: Sickle Cell Anaemia isn't strictly a disease of 'Black' people, even though the vast majority of people who are carriers are 'Black' Or are descendants of 'Black', esp if they are carrying d Benin-type Variation of d disease (which with d Cameroon-type, are d most pervasive in d world). It is important to stress though that this propensity for 'Black' people and/or their descendants to been carriers of d Variation isn't 'racial' or have any particularly innate biological reasons, but just a Variation that came about and was increased in frequency as an inherited trait due to d need for Africans living in a tropical and wet environment for thousands of years to deal with d menance of Malaria...... Thanks though for d observation and correction

Please read this wonderful book The making of the fittest by Sean B. Carroll. Download ebook version at http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEAQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pdfbook.co.ke%2Fdetails.php%3Ftitle%3DThe%2520Making%2520of%2520the%2520Fittest%26author%3DSean%2520B.%2520Carroll%26category%3DReligion%26eid%3D16327%26type%3DBook%26popular%3D15&ei=D0mCUqO4DMaBhAfR-IHADw&usg=AFQjCNFrppIDpW9uM2wq_qGt_t45grHLOA

You will better understand the evolutionary necessity of the "sickler" syndrome in the tropics.
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by taharqa: 4:49pm On Nov 12, 2013
omonla555: This is the second good news about this country Nigeria this month.

1. FIFA under 17 World Cup
2. UBTH stem cell transplant

Nigeria will get there.
This very month, precisely d 1st day of d month, Nigeria successfully handed over her Power sector to the Private sector and finali kickstarted a new Electricity MARKET for d sector. Isn't that 'good news' enough??..... Me thinks it is an even better (and significant) news than these 2 good news. In fact, it is high up there at d top of d list for this year
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Juicysam(m): 6:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
happy to be part of this...i only supplied the ciclosporin [immunosuppresant]last week[teaminpatient pharmacy ubth]
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by ogagwa(m): 7:26am On Nov 13, 2013
GREAT UNIBEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by jpphilips(m): 9:35am On Nov 13, 2013
who said Nigeria isn't a great nation with corruption out of the equation
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Nobody: 11:05pm On Apr 26, 2015
signz:

Ok... Thanks

It's 6-8million naira

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gnld Supplements For Staph / Help With Cost Of Fibroid Surgery / Newly Arrived Ultrasound, Premature Babies Incubators, Delivery Bed, X-ray(ies).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.