Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,858 members, 7,980,009 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 11:12 PM

Fashola And Tax In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola And Tax In Lagos (831 Views)

Fashola And Ambode Throw Souvenirs At People At Alimosho / President Jonathan’s Salary And Tax Payment Details Revealed (Picture) / Gov.Fashola And Ambode Dancing Dorobucci(Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola And Tax In Lagos by niceandkul: 8:49pm On Jul 14, 2008
NAIRALANDERS, HOW DO YOU SEE TAX WAHALA IN LAGOS
I HEARD BANKS ARE TO PAY 500,000,000NAIRA TO BUILD A BRANCH IN LAGOS STATE!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME CONFIRM THIS

IF THIS IS TRUE, THEN ITS VERY CRAZY AND NOT REALISTIC

WHEN WILL THINGS BE RIGHT IN THIS COUNTRY

ALWAYS BE F HELP TO SOMEBODY

NICEAND KUL
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by CARUSO(m): 8:52pm On Jul 14, 2008
niceandkul:

NAIRALANDERS, HOW DO YOU SEE TAX WAHALA IN LAGOS
I HEARD BANKS ARE TO PAY 500,000,000NAIRA TO BUILD A BRANCH IN LAGOS STATE!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME CONFIRM THIS

IF THIS IS TRUE, THEN ITS VERY CRAZY AND NOT REALISTIC

WHEN WILL THINGS BE RIGHT IN THIS COUNTRY

ALWAYS BE F HELP TO SOMEBODY

NICEAND KUL

how this come concern u? u wan build bank, or u get bank or wetin?! grin
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by bonnyguy: 9:22pm On Jul 14, 2008
caruso

this is a forum,if you dont have anything to contribute u can keep quiet and go you own way

this is a good topic
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by gbolah1(m): 9:35am On Jul 15, 2008
Well am not sure if it is true or not but if it is, i think that is the pat of the way Fashola want to generate revenue for the state

From my own point of few i don’t think there is anything bad in it, if the bank don’t want to pay so much then they can call the state government in order and negotiate with them
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by winnteam(m): 10:04am On Jul 15, 2008
bonnyguy:

caruso

this is a forum,if you don't have anything to contribute u can keep quiet and go you own way

this is a good topic

Well said!

The LSG has a rason for this development if it is true.
You will agree with me that Banks have contributed to the horrible state of traffic in the state. They must be made to take responsibility for their "nuisance".

Look at the way they locate branches indiscriminately all over the state. Even in places specifically for residential houses.

They have even caused the rent in some neighborhoods to jump as much as 150%.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by CARUSO(m): 10:18am On Jul 15, 2008
bonnyguy:

caruso

this is a forum,if you don't have anything to contribute u can keep quiet and go you own way

this is a good topic

piss off u self-servicer!

did i ask u question?!

And is my question not related to the post, u flying fucking tosser!
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by winnteam(m): 10:25am On Jul 15, 2008
CARUSO:

piss off u self-servicer!

did i ask u question?!

And is my question not related to the post, u flying fucking tosser!

Oga or Madam CARUSO,
I don't see any reason for your language.
You can make your point without swearing.

Let's show some respect to each other.

Bbonnyguy did not use any foul language to warrant you doing so.
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by Godalone(m): 10:30am On Jul 15, 2008
The figure you quoted as tax for banks to build branches in Lagos is very outrageous,even if Lagos state wants to generate revenue that figure is too high.
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by ayomifull(f): 10:47am On Jul 15, 2008
If that will generate money i see nothing wrong in it, that amount is not a beag deal to banks i suppose. But why does the govt permit the banks to build everywhere in Lagos in the first place? Even in residential places? I was suprised that in less than 5 years there about 5 banks on Ogba road, i wonder if there is anything called plan permission.
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by ayomifull(f): 10:48am On Jul 15, 2008
Sorry you mean five hundred million? sad
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by niceandkul: 12:03pm On Jul 15, 2008
i just confirmed this morning from a staff in one of the banks that his bank stopped further work on thr new branch because of this five hundred million demand

to be sincere with ourselves, LSG still collects tax on the banks profit or anyhow still has a way of collecting money from banks after thr financial year

Banks truely have not lived up 2 thr responsibilities

they dont give scholarships, no boreholes, all they know is target and profit

LSG shuld also go gently,

lets c what they do with the ones they av collected so far ,then we can now c how they will make use of further tax collected.

BE GOOD TODAY
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 12:27pm On Jul 15, 2008
niceandkul:

i just confirmed this morning from a staff in one of the banks that his bank stopped further work on thr new branch because of this five hundred million demand

to be sincere with ourselves, LSG still collects tax on the banks profit or anyhow still has a way of collecting money from banks after thr financial year

they don't give scholarships, no boreholes, all they know is target and profit

lets c what they do with the ones they av collected so far ,then we can now c how they will make use of further tax collected.

BE GOOD TODAY

Banks are businesses not mini-messiahs. Why Should a banks concern include scholarships, boreholes and all that jazz?? If the bank wants to get involved in such, it should be the decision of the board and investors, not a responsibility imposed on them or expected of them.
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by niceandkul: 12:45pm On Jul 15, 2008
guy,

havnt you heard of social responsibility?
is Shell not in business? do MIcrosoft not give to Charity ?
what of Mobil and other big companies
Are they also not into business?
Come of it, banks have a responsibilty to the community that gives so much to them
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by lucabrasi(m): 12:53pm On Jul 15, 2008
i think the tax is in order only if their is commensurate achievements and government targets on ground thats visible to everybody like the good stuffs  fashola has been doing,remember the united kingdom has been severally criticised for collecting the highest taxes but at least theres no complaint as such because we can see what they r doing with the high taxes,
niceandkul:

they don't give scholarships, no boreholes, all they know is target and profit

BE GOOD TODAY
totally agree with you!

i think the banks are a totall rip off in nigeria,if depositors/customers in these nigerian banks see what banks abroad do for customers then ll burn these  banks, in uk here a bank will not even be alowed to have branches in a residensial area and they should be at the fore front of the micro finance and other people oriented programmes, why should banks be allowed to have branches in residensial areas because that will even attractc armed robbers
Re: Fashola And Tax In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 1:09pm On Jul 15, 2008
niceandkul:

guy,

havnt you heard of social responsibility?
is Shell not in business? do MIcrosoft not give to Charity ?
what of Mobil and other big companies
Are they also not into business?
Come of it, banks have a responsibilty to the community that gives so much to them

Social responsiblity has nothing to do with all you have listed above. Shell and Microsoft do give but no company is OBLIGATED by law to do so. It is up to the companies board of directors and investors to decide if they want to or not. Please pick up a company form sometime soon and check it out. Businesses are not Messiahs. It is the Government's duty to provide for the people. Business are not RESPONSIBLE for the welfare of the people, they can help and most do so to attract clientele but seriously Businessses are mini-messiahs. The Communities do not give to banks, they do take advantage of the services offered by the banks and the bank employs members of the communities, helping to build the local economy. The Banks can CHOOSE to give back to the community, or not. It is not obligated in any way to do so. They pay taxes and rent for the space they use so it is not like they get anything free from the community so the community expecting freebies from these banks is ridiculous.

(1) (Reply)

Yeah Yeah, We All Know Nigeria Has A Problem, But What Solutions Can We Provide? / Top Nigerian Headlines Of The Week / Northern Nigeria: death toll rises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.