Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,602 members, 7,878,730 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 04:35 AM

ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week (37329 Views)

ASUU Set To Suspend Strike Within 24hrs / ASUU Set To Meet On Friday, May Call Off Strike / ASSU Strike News – ASUU Prepares Calling Off Strike This Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by Controversy: 6:50am On Nov 11, 2013
BY SEGUN OLUGBILE AND KAMARUDEEN OGUNDELE

Indications have emerged that the  Academic Staff Union of Universities may call off the over four-month-old strike on Thursday.

Barring a last-minute change, the National Executive Committee of ASUU will meet on Wednesday night to consider the position of the congresses of the over 50 public universities on the offer made by the Federal government to revamp the institutions.

The  union met with  a Federal Government team led by President Goodluck Jonathan last Tuesday in Abuja.

The  ASUU leadership, after briefing the zonal coordinators  on  the offer, had directed the local branches   to organise  congress meetings between Friday last week and Tuesday (tomorrow).

This is to enable all the lecturers to make input into the action the union would take after its NEC meeting on Thursday.

However, feelers from most universities that had organised their congresses revealed that ASUU  would suspend the strike after the  Thursday NEC meeting.

In  some universities, including the Obafemi Awolowo University and the Lagos State University that have scheduled their congress meetings for Monday (today),  union leaders and lecturers expressed hope that the strike would end this week.

Also, some top officials of the union in some of the nine zones of ASUU said even though they were not happy with the plan by the government to inject N220bn yearly into the public universities for the next five years, they were pleased that a commitment had been obtained by the union.

Though the Ibadan Zonal Coordinator of ASUU, Dr. Nasir Adesola, confirmed that the NEC meeting would hold on Wednesday, he did not say whether the strike would be called off or not.

“Yes, the NEC will hold on Wednesday evening but ASUU has a process which we are going to follow. NEC reserves the right to call off the strike after due consultation with members and this is why congresses are being called in all the chapters of the union. Please, wait till after the congress,” he told one of our correspondents on the telephone.

But another  source said, “Our NEC meeting will hold between Wednesday night and Thursday. Our chapters have started holding meetings to discuss the Federal Government’s offer. This is to allow input from all the lecturers. We have to carry them along to avoid disunity since there are moves by some elements to infiltrate us.”

Another source told one of our correspondents that some members had expressed mixed feelings about the Federal Government’s  new offer based on its refusal to honour  past  agreements.

“The radicals among us are  sceptical about this latest offer. They do  not believe that government will respect the agreement. Their view is  that government only wants  to deceive the union to call off the strike before it will jettison it.”

A top official of the union,  who confirmed the fears,  told one of  our correspondents that although members’ opinions at the zonal congresses were divided over the government’s offer, the majority still decided to give  the government the benefit of the doubt.

He also said that  the majority opinion was that the review of the agreement which was supposed to hold this year should be postponed till next year in the interest of peace.

The official added, “Members were persuaded because President Goodluck Jonathan personally met with the union. They felt since the President was involved in the negotiation this time around, the government would not say that it was arm-twisted to make the offer.

“This is the problem we are having with the 2009 agreement. By now we should be talking about a review but we are still having troubles with implementation.

“Although feelers across the zones are that we should call off the strike, we are going to put down the government offer in black and white and make it public so that nobody accuses us tomorrow  of  asking for too much.”

Some universities are expected to hold their congresses on Monday (today) to discuss the outcome of the zonal congresses held at nine centres across the country last week.

A source at the meeting  between the government and ASUU   told one of our  correspondents  that the government after a long debate agreed to inject N220bn yearly for the next five years beginning from 2014.

He had said, “The meeting should be the longest that we have ever had on this crisis but I can tell you that both parties were frank all through the discussions. The parties also showed commitment towards ending the crisis. The President in particular showed that he was serious about ending the strike and that was why he offered to release over N1tn to the universities in the next five years.

“The money will be released on a yearly basis at N220bn per annum beginning from 2014. For the outgoing year, the Federal Government will only release N100bn and this has been processed.

“In order to show commitment to this deal, the money will be kept at the Central Bank of Nigeria  and will be released on a quarterly basis to the universities. So, there won’t be any problem about funding the deal.”

The source added that the National Universities Commission and the Trade Union Congress would be joint guarantors of  the new agreement while the Minister of Education would be the implementation officer.

He said  that the  government  also agreed, among other things, to revamp the public universities by ensuring that all the issues that always lead to strike were dealt with once and for all.
http://www.punchng.com/news/ASUU-set-to-suspend-strike-this-week/

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by MANGAM(m): 6:51am On Nov 11, 2013
Hmmm
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by eunisam: 7:03am On Nov 11, 2013
We have been hearing that ASUU.keep your strike tight man pikin want to hustle for Christmas

13 Likes

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 11, 2013
Watery story

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by mascot87(m): 7:10am On Nov 11, 2013
@Controversy(f), Please are you engaged or married?If non of the two, I will like to marry you, no be joke o.I am already in love cheesy cheesy with you,quote me pls, say something positive,haaaaaaaaaa,I don dey go crazy ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooöooooooöo,help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked. if you no give me positive response ,you may not see my moniker on NL again meaning ''I have committed suicide''what??I love you kiss kiss kiss cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 11, 2013
mascot87: @Controversy(f), Please are you engaged or married?If non of the two, I will like to marry you, no be joke o.I am already in love cheesy cheesy with you,quote me pls, say something positive,haaaaaaaaaa,I don dey go crazy ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooöooooooöo,help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked. if you no give me positive response ,you may not see my moniker on NL again meaning ''I have committed suicide''what??I love you kiss kiss kiss cheesy cheesy cheesy
O men no be small o dz chick is hottttttttt....
Controversy do u stay in ph?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by donphilopus: 7:27am On Nov 11, 2013
Bad guys currently on this thread!!!

Runs from the thread

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by mascot87(m): 7:32am On Nov 11, 2013
lygn19:
O men no be small o dz chick is hottttttttt....
Controversy do u stay in ph?
hey hey hey guy, no let me vex o angry ,why u wan be my rival na? I go break bottle for person head o.Controversy,abeg no mind that guy o, na me love u from the medulla in my brain to the yansh of my heart.iygn19,you better take time, what do you know about love. I will kill you o angry angry

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by wasak(m): 7:40am On Nov 11, 2013
mascot87: @Controversy(f), Please are you engaged or married?If non of the two, I will like to marry you, no be joke o.I am already in love cheesy cheesy with you,quote me pls, say something positive,haaaaaaaaaa,I don dey go crazy ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooöooooooöo,help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked. if you no give me positive response ,you may not see my moniker on NL again meaning ''I have committed suicide''what??I love you kiss kiss kiss cheesy cheesy cheesy
bros u get mind o! na controversy u wan marry? as women take plenty reach. u no fear the name?

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by EzePromoe: 7:42am On Nov 11, 2013
Abeg make them call off this strike sharp sharp, make this two posters above me go back to school, this strike don enter their brain.

But seriously, many students want this strike extended till after Christmas, that is why most of them aren't bothered even if they just come to make noise about FG incompetence undecided
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by mascot87(m): 7:47am On Nov 11, 2013
wasak:
bros u get mind o! na controversy u wan marry? as women take plenty reach. u no fear the name?
Do you have an idea what it means to love?I don't think so.Love is no respecter of moniker o,The first step of love is what you see and I can tell you categorically and emphatically that what I am seeing is appealing to my eyes which as sent love to my heart.I will not relent on my effort to catch her attention because I know u are planning to attempt angry angry
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by wasak(m): 7:50am On Nov 11, 2013
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by mascot87(m): 7:51am On Nov 11, 2013
Eze Promoe: Abeg make them call off this strike sharp sharp, make this two posters above me go back to school, this strike don enter their brain.

But seriously, many students want this strike extended till after Christmas, that is why most of them aren't bothered even if they just come to make noise about FG incompetence undecided
You think say I be your mate? angry ,if I slap ur head, hair no go ever grow their again angry.Jealousy boy, you are planning to take her from me,I will kill u angry angry

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by mascot87(m): 8:14am On Nov 11, 2013
Ops, I change my mind.Goodbye but how I wish it wasn't so cry
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by EzePromoe: 8:24am On Nov 11, 2013
mascot87:
You think say I be your mate? angry ,if I slap ur head, hair no go ever grow their again angry.Jealousy boy, you are planning to take her from me,I will kill u angry angry
Whatever your grievance, didn't you see a man besides her, be he a boyfriend or brother?
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by Idokosolomon(m): 8:31am On Nov 11, 2013
We ar heared a enough of all this strike stories b/w federal govt nd ASUU.Let them do their mind.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by Idokosolomon(m): 8:34am On Nov 11, 2013
We hv heard a enough of this ASUU strike with th federal govt.ASUU should do their mind.
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by Nobody: 8:54am On Nov 11, 2013
FG is not even talking abt ASUP.... Does it mean we are not in important like our ASUU counterpart

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by Ruq: 9:00am On Nov 11, 2013
Jonathan Jo naa taan

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by gen2briz(m): 9:01am On Nov 11, 2013
This week abi. ........still waiting

1 Like

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by free2ryhme: 9:01am On Nov 11, 2013
Has ther conditions set by ASUU to the FG been met?
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by fingard02k(m): 9:02am On Nov 11, 2013
lets wait and see
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by WizPrince1(m): 9:04am On Nov 11, 2013
ASUU Thank You
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by DennisBrown(m): 9:04am On Nov 11, 2013
ASSU ft FG - Baby Oya Pull Over.
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by yunglykmine(m): 9:05am On Nov 11, 2013
Old story...
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by Boll2010: 9:05am On Nov 11, 2013
Baba madman ni bobo yemi mylover yi mehn

1 Like

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by Dannylux: 9:08am On Nov 11, 2013
Got this in my mail this morning, I pray this news is positive cos person brain don depreciate finish sad

1 Like

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 11, 2013

Bros sieee.... Or you just want to suck that Nutri Milk for free and run away?

9 Likes

Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by shakur07(m): 9:09am On Nov 11, 2013
Ds gal go ccause controversy here oh cos me sef wan login into ha innermost part oh
mascot87:
hey hey hey guy, no let me vex o angry ,why u wan be my rival na? I go break bottle for person head o.Controversy,abeg no mind that guy o, na me love u from the medulla in my brain to the yansh of my heart.iygn19,you better take time, what do you know about love. I will kill you o angry angry
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by jayAjoku(m): 9:09am On Nov 11, 2013
ameeennn . But them for leave january we kukuma start na.... Na wa 4 them o.. Good sha..
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 11, 2013
undecided
Re: ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week by kokoA(m): 9:09am On Nov 11, 2013
donmix: FG is not even talking abt ASUP.... Does it mean we are not in important like our ASUU counterpart
Yes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

MTN To Withdraw Multi-million Digital Library Donated To UNILAG / Tene John: NIJ Sacks Lecturer For Sexual Assault / Admission 2016: List Of Schools That Have Released Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.