Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,346 members, 7,910,769 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 04:22 PM

Why Do Court Cases Last For So Many Years In Nigeria - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Court Cases Last For So Many Years In Nigeria (642 Views)

90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General / How Many Years Have You Spent So Far In Your Sleep? / Kidnapped Micheal Osagiede Freed After 6 Years In The Jungle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Court Cases Last For So Many Years In Nigeria by Orokita(m): 9:45am On Nov 11, 2013
Hello fellow nairalanders, pls can some one here give me an educated reason as to why court cases in Nigeria tend to last forever, I have seen and heard trivial cases that tend to last for up to thrEe years or more, is it a case of incompetence on the part of the lawyers and judges? Or a carefully planned way of defruading the clients? Becos the clients keep paying the lawyers to go to court and the lawyers keep moving a motion for adjoinment after one "aguement" thereby prolonging the case. And another thing I've noticed is that there is no room for the Jury in the nigerian judiciary! The magistrates and judges are the sole deciders!!!! A change of Judge also means starting a case afresh! Why is this so?
Pls this post is not aimed at belittling or mudsligging! Its just a set of questions that I've come across and I apologise in advance to any one that may be annoyed be it! Thank you
Re: Why Do Court Cases Last For So Many Years In Nigeria by wasak(m): 10:45am On Nov 11, 2013
in most cases the blame rests on the lawyers. many keep going to court unprepared and continue seeking for adjournment upon adjournment... my dad has a court case for over a year now...they've gone to court more than 10 times only for. the lawyers to apply four adjournment. till date hearing hasn't even commenced.
also the police are not innocent of this blame, in many criminal cases,the police investigation team goes to the court without complete evidence thereby delaying judgement.
Re: Why Do Court Cases Last For So Many Years In Nigeria by Orokita(m): 8:10pm On Nov 11, 2013
Its really embarassing that a country as big as nigeria will allow its judiciary arm to decay to this extent. The cry is always against the executive!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Naptin Inducts 2013/2014 Session Trainees Today. / Airtel Still Blazing....... / Nigerian Who May Become First Black British PM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.