Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,077 members, 7,890,558 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 04:03 PM

When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . (3103 Views)

Hotel Recruit / Accountant: Recruit Me!! / Waec Recruit Since Sept Or Oct 2010 - 3rd Time Asking For Same Credentials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by AjanleKoko: 12:29pm On Nov 11, 2013
It's interesting that when we want to hire in Nigeria, we think certificates/paper qualifications first, before skills.
I didn't really appreciate the impact, or how deep this was, until recently.

I am currently looking to hire someone for a particular project, and I noticed that all the CVs I got did not really reflect the skill set I was searching for. But I got a lot of CVs with serious qualifications, and even IT certifications. When I discussed with a colleague she was like 'What level of qualification are you looking for? OND, HND, BSC or Masters Degree?' To be candid, that had not even entered my mind.

I can understand the candidates accumulating qualifications in a bid to get noticed. But what I don't get is the recruiters piling on the demand for more than the required qualifications, and not paying attention to the requisite skills a candidate has to offer. Personally, I think the MBA craze has done a fundamental damage to the job market, and turned it into a mere rat race. You have a lot of candidates, mostly with qualifications and no real skills, in a market that's highly undeveloped. Should organizations and recruiters not be encouraging prospective candidates to focus less on paper qualifications, and more of skills?

Some years back, there was this Chevron recruitment for OND-qualified engineers. I know of at least five people who were actually university graduates, but because they had earlier acquired an OND, they were able to get in. Ironic, isn't it?

2 Likes

Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by nitrogen(m): 1:00pm On Nov 11, 2013
Hmmmmmm!

It's interesting that when we want to hire in Nigeria, we think certificates/paper qualifications first, before skills

Oh yes, that's has been the trend and may continue to be, the system wants the best, and the people in the system once advised/and still advise to take more courses to boost your chances, the system isn't big enough to contain/absorb all, so it wants those that are over-qualified (with excess qualifications). What do we do? dance to the system's tune of course, but think of it this way, there is a big difference between the over-qualified and under-qualified, yes, you do not need to spend much to train the over-qualified.

Should organizations and recruiters not be encouraging prospective candidates to focus less on paper qualifications, and more of skills?

The best recruiters can do is this, 'recruit them, and leave their unnecessary qualifications, recruit them and remunerate them like the others-those without those certs (so far the experience is not there)', by doing that, the craze for more qualifications will be discouraged and eliminated. That is just the only solution, else, the trend will continue and the worse will happen.

PS, This recruiters started this and they should be the one to finish it.
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by esere826: 3:37pm On Nov 11, 2013
well, supply always seeks to meet demand

if all coys in nigeria (including the gov) starts hiring based on skills only
I am quite sure that many candidates will abandon the search for certificates

in such a scenario, the new challenge for recruiters will be the quickest and cheapest way to ascertain applicants skill level
in such a world, I guess this will in turn soon lead to certifications to measure peoples skills

1 Like

Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:12pm On Nov 11, 2013
nitrogen: Hmmmmmm!

Oh yes, that's has been the trend and may continue to be, the system wants the best, and the people in the system once advised/and still advise to take more courses to boost your chances, the system isn't big enough to contain/absorb all, so it wants those that are over-qualified (with excess qualifications). What do we do? dance to the system's tune of course, but think of it this way, there is a big difference between the over-qualified and under-qualified, yes, you do not need to spend much to train the over-qualified.

The best recruiters can do is this, 'recruit them, and leave their unnecessary qualifications, recruit them and remunerate them like the others-those without those certs (so far the experience is not there)', by doing that, the craze for more qualifications will be discouraged and eliminated. That is just the only solution, else, the trend will continue and the worse will happen.

PS, This recruiters started this and they should be the one to finish it.

But the guy with the best academic qualification, does not have to be one with the best skill for the job. Ajanlekoko wants us to focus on both the academic and the skill required for a job.
I prefer work experience to master degrees
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by nitrogen(m): 4:57pm On Nov 11, 2013
esere826: well, supply always seeks to meet demand

if all coys in nigeria (including the gov) starts hiring based on skills only
I am quite sure that many candidates will abandon the search for certificates

in such a scenario, the new challenge for recruiters will be the quickest and cheapest way to ascertain applicants skill level
in such a world, I guess this will in turn soon lead to certifications to measure peoples skills

Quite a thoughtful one, like back to where we started from. It is a crazy world!

emmanuel ewumi:

But the guy with the best academic qualification, does not have to be one with the best skill for the job. Ajanlekoko wants us to focus on both the academic and the skill required for a job.
I prefer work experience to master degrees

As per the bolded, most actually do, just that it is not the fault of these candidates, anyways, to discourage the trend, recruiters should ensure that those excess qualifications are disregarded, this will work a lot.
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by nitrogen(m): 5:05pm On Nov 11, 2013
Wait! During a recruitment exercise, how do you know how skilful Mr X is within hours and without incurring solid expenses? Cos if it is through a session where the candidate talks about his experience and what have we, then the fella without experience can make up his own since he's got the theoretical skills.

PS. Sorry for the lil digression.
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by esere826: 5:28pm On Nov 11, 2013
^^^
Only extremely crafty people can create a make-belief work experience no matter the theory wen dem know
HR are more likely to fall for sweet talk cos HR have no real experience of the job,
someone in the hands-on operational role would easily spot the fake candidate who has no experience but is making it up
someone who goes for a lot of interviews on a specific role will soon be able to talk her way successfully into a job
(if she doesnt give up on the way) ..... this is because she has developed what i call virtual competence -by closing the gaps
..interstingly, this is the same learning process that those with actual work experience go through
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by esere826: 5:31pm On Nov 11, 2013
There is a big gap between theoretical learning and actual practice

Actual practice na 3D, it comes with bad Indian managers grin a certain mix of tools that cannot be possibly thaught in traditional education
except maybe the school gave its students some internships
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by esere826: 5:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
Now imagine this,

someone reads about NL from books and then goes for an interview organised by Seun for an NL mod position
Seun asks him how does he react online when a troll pastes an advert on his thread?

You can see from the question above that if u never get into that circumstance before e go hard to answer
If you say that you report to MOD, and Seun asks u how long does it usually take MOD to reply,...what reply u wan give?

But if Seun ask me,......I go give am expert reply
i go tell am say the MOD dey craze, say im no gree answer
that i then went ahead to bash the MOD for being an Igbo, and got banned for dat

Seun will immediately know that I am an expert Nairalander like Ishilove grin

2 Likes

Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by nitrogen(m): 5:42pm On Nov 11, 2013
esere826: There is a big gap between theoretical learning and actual practice

Actual practice na 3D, it comes with bad Indian managers grin a certain mix of tools that cannot be possibly thaught in traditional education

I see! perhaps the traditional manuals for education are not being updated every time, an advanced country has a luxury of that in their system, that is why it will/should be easy to make up real life experiences. #My thought
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by nitrogen(m): 5:45pm On Nov 11, 2013
esere826: Now imagine this,

someone reads about NL from books and then goes for an interview organised by Seun for an NL mod position
Seun asks him how does he react online when a troll pastes an advert on his thread?

You can see from the question above that if u never get into that circumstance before e go hard to answer
If you say that you report to MOD, and Seun asks u how long does it usually take MOD to reply,...what reply u wan give?

that i then went ahead to bash the MOD for being an Igbo, and got banned for dat

The book(s) should have examples/real life experiences or better-still case studies, sincerely, it would be easy for me to answer seun.

1 Like

Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by AjanleKoko: 6:02pm On Nov 11, 2013
nitrogen: Wait! During a recruitment exercise, how do you know how skilful Mr X is within hours and without incurring solid expenses? Cos if it is through a session where the candidate talks about his experience and what have we, then the fella without experience can make up his own since he's got the theoretical skills.

PS. Sorry for the lil digression.

The structures are there already.
If I want to hire freshers (as in fresh out of school) for any type of job, there are test regimes I can administer to access their level of proficiency.
I don't need to stress on qualifications, unless I am looking for truly brilliant people to help me build the Death Star, or something equally inconceivable grin It's just that recruiters are lazy, and are always looking for short cuts, plus the obvious Naija factor. You can automate the shortlisting and testing process easily

If I am looking for experienced people, that's a no-brainer. For example if I need to hire a salesman, easiest interview ever. What are you selling right now, what are the targets, how do you sell this and that product, how much in sales can you bring, etc. etc. I would not care what kind of pali is hanging on your bedroom wall. Na pali we go chop? grin

esere826: There is a big gap between theoretical learning and actual practice

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin at bolded cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 11, 2013
AjanleKoko: It's interesting that when we want to hire in Nigeria, we think certificates/paper qualifications first, before skills.

I am currently looking to hire someone for a particular project, and I noticed that all the CVs I got did not really reflect the skill set I was searching for. But I got a lot of CVs with serious qualifications, and even IT certifications. When I discussed with a colleague she was like 'What level of qualification are you looking for? OND, HND, BSC or Masters Degree?' To be candid, that had not even entered my mind.

I can understand the candidates accumulating qualifications in a bid to get noticed. But what I don't get is the recruiters piling on the demand for more than the required qualifications, and not paying attention to the requisite skills a candidate has to offer. Personally, I think the MBA craze has done a fundamental damage to the job market, and turned it into a mere rat race. You have a lot of candidates, mostly with qualifications and no real skills, in a market that's highly undeveloped. Should organizations and recruiters not be encouraging prospective candidates to focus less on paper qualifications, and more of skills?

Some years back, there was this Chevron recruitment for OND-qualified engineers. I know of at least five people who were actually university graduates, but because they had earlier acquired an OND, they were able to get in. Ironic, isn't it?

If you ask me, I guess its a matter of " he who pays the Piper dictates the tune"

Like you said recruiters have become lazy, but who can actually blame them in a society teeming up with unemployed youths in geometric progression.

Esere pointed out the issue of focusing on skills, but then needing certificates to verify these skills again, thereby taking us to the point where we started from.

I remember receiving a call one early morning by someone who was set for an interview, asking me to teach her the basics of Excel. I just told her it was practically impossible to learn anything. When students bullshit their way through school, they always feel they can continue the trend. So the need to acquire skills is inconsequential, rather people keep acquiring more worthless certificates because the demand is there.

While one can't pitch all the blames on the table of the recruiters, I seriously believe that a change in strategy is needed by these organisations, who their HR despite knowing how twisted the educational system is, still depend on their credibility to validate potential.

A measure will be for management of companies, to make HR responsible for the people they hire, in other words, the performance of their recruits, should directly reflect on their own appraisals, maybe then they will sit up and open their eyes to the reality of the day.
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by okeyxyz(m): 6:58pm On Nov 11, 2013
AjanleKoko:

But they'd met the requirements for this job, having acquired OND's. But it seems you are trying to argue that their B.Sc's now invalidates their OND credentials. No??
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 11, 2013
AjanleKoko: It's interesting that when we want to hire in Nigeria, we think certificates/paper qualifications first, before skills.

In my opinion the Yanks are also guilty of this and we all know how our people like to follow Americans!

My friend, you are just as guilty. The skill set cascaded down to essential and preferable lists is what you should have enumerated before putting an advert out. What you have done does make the job of a recruiter easy.

I beg to differ. Depends on the needs of the organisation. Manufacturing coys will often hire and train apprentices solely for the purposes of operating machinery and hire a grad and encourage them to pursue additional 'paper' qualifications in readiness for management roles.

Nothing ironic here esp. when there are more people than jobs. I can bet my left leg that the same people will look to use their degrees to move higher up the ladder, the idea is to get into Chevron first.

3 Likes

Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by Ishilove: 10:40pm On Nov 11, 2013

Haha, veeeery funny angry
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by nitrogen(m): 6:28am On Nov 12, 2013
AjanleKoko:

The structures are there already.
If I want to hire freshers (as in fresh out of school) for any type of job, there are test regimes I can administer to access their level of proficiency.
I don't need to stress on qualifications, unless I am looking for truly brilliant people to help me build the Death Star, or something equally inconceivable grin It's just that recruiters are lazy, and are always looking for short cuts, plus the obvious Naija factor. You can automate the shortlisting and testing process easily

Better put, '..........unless am looking for truly brilliant people to help bring/come up with out of this world initiatives.....' cool
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by Olaone1: 2:51pm On Nov 12, 2013

[size=23pt]someone reads about NL from books and then goes for an interview organised by Seun for an NL mod position
You can see from the question above that if u never get into that circumstance before e go hard to answer[/size]

University books nowadays have what we call "simulation"

Sorry, I meant foreign unis wink wink
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by AjanleKoko: 5:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ola one:

Is that so? undecided grin
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by esere826: 9:09pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ola one:

Na lie, it is not yet that granular
It is more of case studies that are thaught which gives one a big pix view
some give experiental learning which is more about experiencing general soft skills like leadership

I actually think that simulation, when someone brings it to the market, could be a big money spinner
I am presently looking into it 'casually'
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by Olaone1: 9:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
esere826:

Na lie, it is not yet that granular
It is more of case studies that are thaught which gives one a big pix view
some give experiental learning which is more about experiencing general soft skills like leadership

I actually think that simulation, when someone brings it to the market, could be a big money spinner
grin
Yep! Strategic management or something like that, a core course which was/is essential for a degree in acct/finance/management/etc in the uk. "Simulation" is a must - about 20%. It is online with a CD or something like that. You are required to run a company, allocate funds appropriately, etc.
it is also a must in MBA classes.

grin grin So, you have to "pretend" you're a mod on NL and dish out bans grin grin grin. And, vrooooom, the job of justwise a mod is yours
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by Olaone1: 9:30pm On Nov 12, 2013
esere826:

Trust me, it's in the market. I used it. Made cars - family cars, Sports cars, etc and I performed well. grin

Get yourself a copy of this. 7th edition upward:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exploring-Strategy-MyStrategyLab-Experience-Simulation/dp/0273737023 wink wink

Exploring Strategy Text & Cases Plus MyStrategyLab and The Strategy Experience Simulation: Text and Cases [Paperback]
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by Olaone1: 9:35pm On Nov 12, 2013
Exploring Strategy has sold a staggering 900,000 copies worldwide, thanks to its outstanding and engaging view of strategy in the world we live in. It equips readers with a detailed understanding of the issues and techniques of strategy, using illustration from real companies to make sense of the subject. With unique and powerful learning tools such as inspiring case studies, a new strategy simulation and video assignments, Exploring Strategy provides a proven high quality resource that you shouldn’t be without.
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by Olaone1: 9:40pm On Nov 12, 2013
Yeah, it's called MyStrategyLab and you need an ID and you'll get linked to the USA. So, I think you must get yourself enrolled in a uni to use this "simulation" thang.

I searched my "small" library for the book and it's right on my table now.

This package includes a physical copy of Fundamentals of Strategy, by Johnson, Whittington & Scholes as well as access to MyStrategyLab and the The Strategy Experience simulation. Your Instructor will need to provide you with a course ID in order for you to access MyStrategyLab and The Strategy Experience simulation. Fundamentals of Strategy is a concise version of the market-leading text Exploring Strategy. It has been developed for students on short courses in strategy - for example, doing an initial course at undergraduate, postgraduate or post-experience level, or studying strategy as part of a wider degree in the arts, sciences or engineering. The book comprises 10 chapters, and focuses on the analysis and formulation of strategy. MyLab and Mastering from Pearson improve results for students and educators. Used by over ten million students, they effectively engage learners at every stage. "Used in combination with a customised book and a well planned pedagogic sequence, MyStrategyLab proved to be very useful in enriching the students' learning process." Christophe Lejeune, lecturer, EM-Strasbourg Business School, University of Strasbourg, France With MyStrategyLab, students gain knowledge that they will use throughout their lives, and universities gain a partner deeply committed to helping students and educators achieve their goals. For students * Self-assessment and online gradebook Students of all abilities can work through the questions at their own pace, access related resources, and see instant feedback on their answers. For educators * Online assignments, tests, quizzes can be easily created and assigned to students. * Gradebook: Assignments are automatically graded and visible at a glance. Register now to benefit from these resources. A student access code card is included with your textbook at a reduced cost. To register with your code, visit www.myStrategyLab.co.uk. For educator access, contact your Pearson account manager. To find out who your account manager is, visit www.pearsoned.co.uk/replocator For more instructor resources available with this title, visit www.pearsoned.co.uk
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by Olaone1: 9:48pm On Nov 12, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Is that so? undecided grin
yep wink wink
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by nitrogen(m): 9:55pm On Nov 12, 2013
@Esere, no dulling, you berra go grab your copy NOW!

What a wonderful world!

grin grin
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by Wallie(m): 10:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
I think the fundamental issue is supply far out-stripping demand. When you only have 2 positions open and you get 1000 applications, you need an objective way of disqualifying a large majority of the applicants before looking at subjective qualifications. Certifications/degrees are used as the "gateman." For you to see oga, you must have the necessary degree because oga is too busy to see everybody that walks in.

However, the smart applicants will have the requisite minimum degree and/or respond directly to the skills sought.

With regard to MBAs, most reputable schools in the US won’t admit an MBA applicant without real world experience because most companies won’t be interested in your after graduation.

1 Like

Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by esere826: 11:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
naaaaaa

i am very aware about those,
dem dey try, but dem no dey work

I'll give an example of PPI in UK
I think its only some 2 or 3 banks that are doing it in the entire world

Adverts for jobs in PPI range from 150 per dayto about 600 GBP per day

-First, u cant claim experience in PPI except u've worked in any of those 3 banks
-2nd as the compensation gets higher, the viewyou shld have can hardly be faked except someone doing it coaches u
-so yes it involves using tools like ssrs, ssis, ssas, Excel, Access, VBA,.... and skills such as analytical ability and complaint handling E2E, but trust me..... who no go, no know
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by Olaone1: 11:21pm On Nov 12, 2013
The simulation is even on 2 of my [i]old [/i]USBs. I can upload it sef
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by AjanleKoko: 5:37pm On Nov 13, 2013
Ola one: The simulation is even on 2 of my [i]old [/i]USBs. I can upload it sef

Be there derailing my thread oh angry
Strategy ko, simulation ni. Na strategy go build my ecommerce portal wey I dey find programmer for? undecided
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by Nobody: 9:53pm On Nov 13, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Be there derailing my thread oh angry
Strategy ko, simulation ni. Na strategy go build my ecommerce portal wey I dey find programmer for? undecided

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.........
Re: When We Recruit In Nigeria . . . by lockedOut: 12:51pm On Nov 14, 2013
Wallie: I think the fundamental issue is supply far out-stripping demand. When you only have 2 positions open and you get 1000 applications, you need an objective way of disqualifying a large majority of the applicants before looking at subjective qualifications. Certifications/degrees are used as the "gateman." For you to see oga, you must have the necessary degree because oga is too busy to see everybody that walks in.

However, the smart applicants will have the requisite minimum degree and/or respond directly to the skills sought.

With regard to MBAs, most reputable schools in the US won’t admit an MBA applicant without real world experience because most companies won’t be interested in your after graduation.

I go with this 100% it now depends on the recruiter knowing what he or she is looking for. The world is becoming too cumbersome to dedicate all resources on one task alone.

Right now supply truly outweighs demand, there are actually those who are qualified but do not have the experience and the best way to stand out is to have a distinct cv (qualification wise) because that will definately get them in front of the recruiter. Its left to the recruiter to weed out its candidate. Blaming the recuiter for the problem is quite unfair, the recuiter did not make the market over competitive due to the available jobs.

Then to the issue of craze for MBA its still part of the process of standing out in a crowd, also in most cases life is a rat race!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Winresist / How To Become An Hot Cake In The Job Market With/without Oversea Masters!!!! / Air Traffic Control Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.