Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,452 members, 7,944,244 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 01:19 PM

Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities (10599 Views)

LIVE Updates From Different Universities On ASUU Members Resumption / ASUU To Hold Congresses Monday; Takes Decision Next Saturday / Updates From President Jonathan & ASUU Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by phumzyxvicky(f): 10:18am On Nov 12, 2013
u guys 're doing a gr8 job o weldon ,wt abt oou
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 12, 2013
Folding my arms, waiting ASUU n dere ish
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by Eracee: 11:25am On Nov 12, 2013
Wat about AAU Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by Femistico(m): 11:47am On Nov 12, 2013
what about AAUA? although I knew dose lecturers won't try it with ma vc....na sack letter them dey use play so I knew dey will suspend it..awon ti mimiko

#teamaauadiplomat
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by Olugbenger(m): 11:56am On Nov 12, 2013
sparkle Red:
Is dat so dumb head
He has a point. I could have that same view.
The fact that you are one student of the school doesn't mean you shoud label him names when he speaks about the negatives he knows about..
If u can disprove his lines or and point them out as lies, he would remain quiet.
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by lizchi1(f): 12:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
please what about those southeast universities? unn, esut, ebsu, ansu, absu e.t.c
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by okelade(m): 1:42pm On Nov 12, 2013
drhammed: FRM UNIOSUN , THEY VOTED 4 CALLING OFF THE STRIKE official anouncement nw Up2 d NEC
I trust dem.we no get lazy lecturas
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by LogoDWhiz(m): 1:50pm On Nov 12, 2013
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
ASUU STRIKE : 20 Of 28 Chapters Vote For Suspension Of Strike

More units of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, including the University of Ibadan and Ahmadu Bello University chapters, have voted for the suspension of the strike by the union during chapter congresses held nationwide.

The union met with a Federal Government team led by President Goodluck Jonathan last Tuesday in Abuja.

Government has promised to inject N220bn yearly into the public universities for the next five years.

The ASUU leadership, after briefing the zonal coordinators on the offer, had directed the local branches to organise congress meetings between Friday last week and Tuesday (today).

This is to enable all the lecturers to make input into the action the union would take after its NEC meeting on Thursday.

As at press time on Monday, 20 of the 28 chapters that had concluded their meetings supported the suspension of the strike, while the remaining eight preferred that the varsity teachers pressed on with the strike.

The teachers in the University of Abuja, for instance, supported the suspension of the strike but listed conditions that must be met by the Federal Government.

A source at the meeting on Monday said the congress demanded that the withheld three months salaries of the lecturers must be paid.

“Members also demanded for commitment on funding. We also want assurance from government that no lecturer will be victimised on the account of participating in the strike. We also asked that the template for sharing the earned allowance should be prepared within the next two weeks,” the source added.

The conditions were the same for Nasarawa State University, which voted for continuation of the strike.

Chairman of ASUU in the school, Dr. Theophilus Lagi, told our correspondent after the congress that as far as his members were concerned the strike should continue.

He said, “There are certain grey areas that must be cleared. The ‘no work no pay’ policy must be sorted out. Government must pay lecturers the arrears.

“We also need evidence that the N200bn that government promised to release this year is in the central bank. We are not going to suspend the strike until the money is there and available for sourcing. That is the position of the congress.

“Nobody trusts government. They have been making promises since 2009 and nothing has been implemented except the N30bn earned allowances.

“Secondly, the 2009 agreement is due for review; nothing has been said about that. Lecturers have been denied salary for three months, those monies must be paid.”

Among the universities that supported that the strike be called off are Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria; Federal University of Technology, Minna; University of Lagos; University of Ibadan; University of Calabar; University of Port-Harcourt; Federal University of Technology, Akure; Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto; and Ekiti State University.

The list also include the Federal University of Technology, Owerri; Delta State University; Bayero University Kano; Imo State University; Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta; and Olabisi Onabanjo University, among others.

On the other hand, majority of lecturers at the University of Benin; and University of Jos wanted the strike to continue.

However, in the Bauchi zone of the union, five universities voted for continuation of the state strike, while the remaining three threw their weight against the continuation of the strike.

SOurce - Punch

1 Like

Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by dayo23(f): 2:50pm On Nov 12, 2013
LogoDWhiz: Tuesday, November 12, 2013
ASUU STRIKE : 20 Of 28 Chapters Vote For Suspension Of Strike

More units of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, including the University of Ibadan and Ahmadu Bello University chapters, have voted for the suspension of the strike by the union during chapter congresses held nationwide.

The union met with a Federal Government team led by President Goodluck Jonathan last Tuesday in Abuja.

Government has promised to inject N220bn yearly into the public universities for the next five years.

The ASUU leadership, after briefing the zonal coordinators on the offer, had directed the local branches to organise congress meetings between Friday last week and Tuesday (today).

This is to enable all the lecturers to make input into the action the union would take after its NEC meeting on Thursday.

As at press time on Monday, 20 of the 28 chapters that had concluded their meetings supported the suspension of the strike, while the remaining eight preferred that the varsity teachers pressed on with the strike.

The teachers in the University of Abuja, for instance, supported the suspension of the strike but listed conditions that must be met by the Federal Government.

A source at the meeting on Monday said the congress demanded that the withheld three months salaries of the lecturers must be paid.

“Members also demanded for commitment on funding. We also want assurance from government that no lecturer will be victimised on the account of participating in the strike. We also asked that the template for sharing the earned allowance should be prepared within the next two weeks,” the source added.

The conditions were the same for Nasarawa State University, which voted for continuation of the strike.

Chairman of ASUU in the school, Dr. Theophilus Lagi, told our correspondent after the congress that as far as his members were concerned the strike should continue.

He said, “There are certain grey areas that must be cleared. The ‘no work no pay’ policy must be sorted out. Government must pay lecturers the arrears.

“We also need evidence that the N200bn that government promised to release this year is in the central bank. We are not going to suspend the strike until the money is there and available for sourcing. That is the position of the congress.

“Nobody trusts government. They have been making promises since 2009 and nothing has been implemented except the N30bn earned allowances.

“Secondly, the 2009 agreement is due for review; nothing has been said about that. Lecturers have been denied salary for three months, those monies must be paid.”

Among the universities that supported that the strike be called off are Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria; Federal University of Technology, Minna; University of Lagos; University of Ibadan; University of Calabar; University of Port-Harcourt; Federal University of Technology, Akure; Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto; and Ekiti State University.

The list also include the Federal University of Technology, Owerri; Delta State University; Bayero University Kano; Imo State University; Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta; and Olabisi Onabanjo University, among others.

On the other hand, majority of lecturers at the University of Benin; and University of Jos wanted the strike to continue.

However, in the Bauchi zone of the union, five universities voted for continuation of the state strike, while the remaining three threw their weight against the continuation of the strike.

SOurce - Punch
A.B.U Zaria......The Leader of the northern Universities, as soon as they accept i know it over. Hustle will be officially over friday, time to go start my project in school #teamABUsite
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by Omesbrit(m): 3:53pm On Nov 12, 2013
Unn also voted against the strike,they supported that the strike should be called off.
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 12, 2013
Thank God unijos has voted to end d strike too.....now 155 chapters voted 2call it off while 88 voted against....I tink we have hope
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by drhammed: 8:41pm On Nov 12, 2013
na so o,UNiOSUN tinx
okelade: I trust dem.we no get lazy lecturas
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by Batih: 8:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
drhammed: na so o,UNiOSUN tinx
I trust my lecturers
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by drhammed: 8:57pm On Nov 12, 2013
are u also frm Uniosun ? What Level are U and department ?
Batih: I trust my lecturers
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
Eracee: Wat about AAU Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma
I have not heard anything abt my school aau,ekpoma.nobody knows what they are up to
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by Batih: 9:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
drhammed: are u also frm Uniosun ? What Level are U and department ?
200l, biochemistry
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by omojisola(m): 10:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
mariyaizah: na wa shaa...u guys wont kill me with laughter...all u Eksu students,nyways..unilag forever...i av missed yem yem @ luth axis tho!
.I saw ur mail,ur welcm.jst dat d name sounds farmiliar,marayaluz on twitter and she study physiotherapy @ unilag,dunno if ur d one.anyways wch we can talk more dn dis 08036897059 on watsapp n 2222f44a on bbm,wil b glad 2 c ur msg come in
Re: Updates From ASUU Congresses In Different Universities by drhammed: 11:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
9ice 1.
Batih: 200l, biochemistry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Where You Ever Flogged During Your Secondary School Days? / Some of the top and affordable schools in ijebu-ode, Ogun state. / How To Pass Waec Exam In One Sitting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.