Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,035 members, 7,890,381 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 01:23 PM

Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l - Education (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l (39852 Views)

12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School / Nairaland Math Quiz Competition Loading...(suggestions Needed) / 10 Year Old Nigerian Math Genius, Esther Okade Plans To Build A Bank By Age 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (63) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 14, 2013
Richiez: Question 2 is by Quiz master Doubledx

Provide just the answer in 10mins!!!

If f(x) = Sec(x), which of the following statement(s) is true?

1. f(x) = 1/cos(x)
2. f(x) = 1/{2cos^2(x/2) - 1}
3. f(x) = 1/{1 - 2sin^2(x/2)}

(remember more than one of the statements above could be right)

==========================
Solution to Question 2.
==========================

Since Sec(x) = 1/Cos(x),
Statement 1 is true...
Statement 2, Sec(x) = 1/{2cos2(x/2) - 1}
In this case we check it from the denominator of the expression =>
1/Cos(x)

Cos(x) = Cos(x/2 + x/2)

Applying trig identities for cos(A + B) = CosACosB - SinASinB,

We have =>

cos(x) = Cos(x/2)Cos(x/2) - sin(x/2)sin(x/2)
Cos(x) = cos2(x/2) - sin2(x/2).....(1)

But from trig identities=> sin2(A) + Cos2(A) = 1

Similarly=> sin2(x/2) + cos2(x/2) = 1
Thus=> sin2(x/2) = 1 - cos2(x/2)....(2)

Now, substituting (2) in (1) yields =>

Cos(x) = cos2(x/2) - [1 - cos2(x/2)]
Cos(x) = cos2(x/2) - 1 + cos2(x/2)

Colecting like terms yields =>

Cos(x) = 2cos2(x/2) - 1,
Now, since cosx = the denominator of statement 2 it means that it is true for Sec(x) = 1/Cos(x) = 2cos2(x/2) - 1

Now, to statement 3. the relationship is the same, it's only that this time we MUST solve in terms of sin(x) since the denominator is => {1 - 2sin2(x/2)}

Now we have to show that cos(x) = {1 - 2sin2(x/2)} to prove that the statement f(x) = sec(x) = 1/{1 - 2sin2(x/2)} is true.

Since from (1) above we know that =>

Cos(x) = cos2(x/2) - sin2(x/2).....(1)
And from trig identities
sin2(x/2) = 1 - cos2(x/2)....(2)

In this case we have to make cos2(x/2) the subject of the formula

Thus => cos2(x/2) = 1 - sin2(x/2)....(3)

which when you substitute (3) into (1) will yield=>

cos(x) = 1 - sin2(x/2) - sin2(x/2)
cos(x) = 1 - 2sin2(x/2)

Therefore since the denominator of statement 3 equals cos(x), it means...

1, 2 and 3 are all true, hence the solution. C is the correct Answer!

Note, this is not supposed to be this long but I had to explain for the benefit of other viewers!
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:03pm On Nov 14, 2013
SCORE CARD FOR ROUND 3 1st Question

1. :::JARYEH::: 10pts

2. :::DENNIECE1::: 10pts

3. :::IDENYIJOSHUA::: 8pts

4. :::PAPINDINHO::: 2pts

5. :::DR.GBOY::: 8pts

6. :::FACTORIAL1::: 8pts

7. :::AYSUCCESS99::: 10pts

8. :::MIRACY::: 2pts

9. :::KENDZYMA::: 10pts

10. :::LOGODWHIZ::: 8pts

11. [url=https://www.nairaland.com/amazing%20angel]:::AMAZING ANGEL:::[/url] 10pts

12. :::SMURFY::: 8pts

13. :::MOZARINIA::: 2pts

14. :::TOIDEVE::: 4pts

15. :::CASHIO::: 2pts

16. :::DYSHOW::: 4pts
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:04pm On Nov 14, 2013
participants should note that they are not allowed to post an answer twice....henceforth, double post will attract minus 1 mark
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:04pm On Nov 14, 2013
Alpha Maximus: Please post your answers to both Doubledx and me. And no double-answering please; cross-check before sending.

Yeah. No double answers, but remember option c was initially wrong.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:05pm On Nov 14, 2013
get ready for Question 4 chosen by Busuyem
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:07pm On Nov 14, 2013
Question 4 ...still by Quiz master Doubledx

If the roots of the quadratic expression x^2 + Qx + 24 = 0 are α and ß respectively and the sum of their squares is 73, which of the following MUST be true about the values of x?

1. (x^2 + 3) > 10
2. (2x - 3) < 0
3. x^2 > 120

(remember, more than one option may be the correct answer)

just 10 mins!!! time is ticking
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:08pm On Nov 14, 2013
Richiez: participants should note that they are not allowed to post an answer twice....henceforth, double post will attract minus 1 mark

What!!!!
I got the question! All the options are correct. The initial question I opened on my phone had error for option c
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AlphaMaximus(m): 1:15pm On Nov 14, 2013
smurfy:

What!!!!
I got the question! All the options are correct. The initial question I opened on my phone had error for option c
option I only,option I and II only and option I, II and III are three entirely different choices. When either of the first two options are chosen by a participant, the consequence is that he/she is implying that that option II or III is wrong and the chosen are the only correct options , whichever the case may be
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by denniece1(m): 1:18pm On Nov 14, 2013
Sent!....choi
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:19pm On Nov 14, 2013
Time is Up!!!
Quiz master Doubledx will now post the correct solution
Quiz masters Alphamaximus and Doubledx will send me the names and I will post the new score card
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by denniece1(m): 1:21pm On Nov 14, 2013
Doubledx na wa 4 ur question o
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by DrGboy(m): 1:22pm On Nov 14, 2013
hope u've received it?
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by busuyem: 1:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
throw question 10 to the floor
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AmazingAngel(f): 1:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
Hope it doesn't matter if I send the same answer 2tyms,my mail is doing sumhow

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
sent! @doubledx, hope u saw my mail...dis question is dem hard...chai...i fear 4 here o...
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:24pm On Nov 14, 2013
Alpha Maximus: option I only,option I and II only and option I, II and III are three entirely different choices. When either of the first two options are chosen by a participant, the consequence is that he/she is implying that that option II or III is wrong and the chosen are the only correct options , whichever the case may be

No Maximus. You don't understand. When Richiez first posted the question, the multiple choice I only, II and III only etc. wasn't included. Ask Richiez. Only the answers I, II and III were there. Then option III had a typo. That's why I didn't pick it. I submitted my answer, refreshed the page only to see A, B, C, etc. and correction to option III
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Idenyijoshua(m): 1:24pm On Nov 14, 2013
denniece1: Doubledx na wa 4 ur question o
d question na war and with limited time
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 14, 2013
busuyem: throw question 10 to the floor
my chairman, i beg easy o, ur choice of qstns are damn hard,#biko,ogini,please,ejo#....am begging o...easy does things.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
Amazing Angel: Hope it doesn't matter if I send the same answer 2tyms,my mail is doing sumhow
if it's same answer, you won't be penalized
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AmazingAngel(f): 1:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
D question was not hard,it depend on ♓☺Ϟ•̸ fast Ʊя̲̅ mind thinks
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by busuyem: 1:27pm On Nov 14, 2013
aysuccess99:
my chairman, i beg easy o, ur choice of qstns are damn hard,#biko,ogini,please,ejo#....am begging o...easy does things.

Lolz. U dey fear?
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AmazingAngel(f): 1:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
Richiez:
if it's same answer, you won't be penalized
tank God
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:29pm On Nov 14, 2013
smurfy:

No Maximus. You don't understand. When Richiez first posted the question, the multiple choice I only, II and III only etc. wasn't included. Ask Richiez. Only the answers I, II and III were there. Then option III had a typo. That's I didn't pick it. I submitted my answer, refreshed the page only to see A, B, C, etc. and correction to option III

when a quiz master posts the solution, it will come with the full question in objectives.
but for this round I will personally remove all objective answers and allow the participants derive the correct answers themselves
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by factorial1(m): 1:29pm On Nov 14, 2013
mi o she mo, *running out* limited time...busy tinx, O boi, na guessing sure pass. Hope to see some questions that does'nt require more calculation. #Shalom
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 14, 2013
@Richiez
Please read my comment above and affirm that option c initially had a typo. There was something like and all over the place for option c before the correction. I sent the corrected solution in time. Please adjust the scoreboard for me accordingly. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Idenyijoshua(m): 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
Jst got a better understanding of d question now. ;(
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
Richiez:

when a quiz master posts the solution, it will come with the full question in objectives.
but for this round I will personally remove all objective answers and allow the participants derive the correct answers themselves

No problem. Please give me my mark. It's such a cheap half-angle formula question.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by jaryeh(m): 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
How many questions are we gonna answer today
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:33pm On Nov 14, 2013
@smurfy, I will do so if the quiz masters confirms your statement...hold on
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 14, 2013
smurfy: @Richiez
Please read my comment above and affirm that option c initially had a typo. There was something like and all over the place for option c before the correction. I sent the corrected solution in time. Please adjust the scoreboard for me accordingly. Thanks.

The typo was sin^(x/2) instead of sin^2(x/2), it was something that was easy to understand... Well, @ richiez I think you should give him the mark!
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:34pm On Nov 14, 2013
jaryeh:

How many questions are we gonna answer today
it depends on time....quiz stops by 3:30pm
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 14, 2013
Option III had the letter b inside square brackets in two places

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (63) (Reply)

Charles Okpaleke To Sponsor Warri Girl Chased From School Over School Fees / UNIPORT: Fight Broke Out Between Two Students Over Orientation Drinks (Photos) / I Remain UNILAG VC - Ogundipe Says As Details Emerge Of Why He Was Sacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.