Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,560 members, 7,944,679 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 09:37 PM

Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist (2637 Views)

Do Aliens Exist? 5 Signs They Just Might... / 10 Credible Mermaid Sightings? / Death Does Not Exist ( We Don't Really Die) -- Scientist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist by chuksmad(m): 5:17pm On Nov 13, 2013
This week, Animal Planet aired two fake documentaries claiming to show scientific evidence of mermaids. I say “fake documentaries” because that’s exactly what The Body Found and The New Evidence are. The “scientists” interviewed in the show are actors, and there’s a brief disclaimer during the end credits. However, the Twitter conversation surrounding the show (#Mermaids) reveals that many viewers are unaware that the show isn’t real. (Sample Tweets: “After watching the documentary #Mermaids the body found … I believe there are mermaids!!!” and “90% of the ocean is unexplored and you’re telling me #mermaids don’t exist”—which has been retweeted more than 800 times.) It is, after all, airing on a network that claims to focus on educating viewers about the natural world. “The Body Found” was rightfully described “the rotting carcass of science television,” and I was shocked to see Animal Planet air a sequel.

As a marine biologist, I can tell you unequivocally that despite millennia of humans exploring the ocean, no credible evidence of the existence of mermaids has ever been found. Some claim that manatees are the source of the legend, but you’d have to be at sea an awfully long time to think that a manatee is a beautiful woman. Sure, new species are discovered all the time, but while a new species of bird or insect is fascinating, it doesn’t mean “anything is possible,” and it is certainly not equivalent to finding a group of talking, thinking humanoids with fish tails covering half of their bodies. The confusion generated by “The Body Found” got to be so significant that the United States government issued an official statement on the matter.

When I started angrily posting about this on Facebook and Twitter, many of my nonscientist friends asked me why it matters if people believe in mermaids. It matters because the ocean is extremely important. It provides jobs for tens of millions of people and food for billions. However, many marine resources are being overexploited and mismanaged, leaving us in serious danger of losing them forever. Policy solutions can help, but if you are so ignorant about what is really happening in the ocean that you believe that there are organisms that are half human and half fish, you're almost certainly unaware of the important problems, much less how to solve them. Even if you don’t believe in mythical creatures, you may be unaware of the severity of the crises facing our oceans. Now that we’ve established that mermaids aren’t real, here are 5
Re: Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist by khattab02: 6:55pm On Nov 13, 2013
Well done Op. But u haven't really show us the scientific proves.
Re: Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:08pm On Nov 13, 2013
khattab02: Well done Op. But u haven't really show us the scientific proves.
Thank you.
Re: Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist by wirinet(m): 6:04am On Nov 14, 2013
khattab02: Well done Op. But u haven't really show us the scientific proves.

scientific proof of what? What of scientific proof that sphinxes, centeurs, fire breathing dragons and other mythical creatures dont exist.

OP thanks for attempting to educate the ignorant, the problem is the ignorant prefers to believe in fantasies and myths that learn real science.

1 Like

Re: Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist by everyday: 10:11am On Nov 15, 2013
So?
Re: Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 02, 2014
khattab02:
i explained it in one of my topics and i'll do so now. it is not possible to merge the human body to that of any fish.
Re: Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist by Lloydkings: 9:15pm On Sep 28, 2017
khattab02:
yhu jxt gave quantity, there is no quality in wah you posted
Re: Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist by EPIJOE: 1:18am On Sep 29, 2017
MERMAIDS DO EXIST BRO
Re: Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist by cjfbn: 9:00pm On Sep 29, 2017
Mermaids do exist. You don't see them does not mean that they don't exist.
Re: Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist by AmunaNo1: 12:28pm On Oct 02, 2017
chuksmad:

This week, Animal Planet aired two fake documentaries claiming to show scientific evidence of mermaids. I say “fake documentaries” because that’s exactly what The Body Found and The New Evidence are. The “scientists” interviewed in the show are actors, and there’s a brief disclaimer during the end credits. However, the Twitter conversation surrounding the show (#Mermaids) reveals that many viewers are unaware that the show isn’t real. (Sample Tweets: “After watching the documentary #Mermaids the body found … I believe there are mermaids!!!” and “90% of the ocean is unexplored and you’re telling me #mermaids don’t exist”—which has been retweeted more than 800 times.) It is, after all, airing on a network that claims to focus on educating viewers about the natural world. “The Body Found” was rightfully described “the rotting carcass of science television,” and I was shocked to see Animal Planet air a sequel.

As a marine biologist, I can tell you unequivocally that despite millennia of humans exploring the ocean, no credible evidence of the existence of mermaids has ever been found. Some claim that manatees are the source of the legend, but you’d have to be at sea an awfully long time to think that a manatee is a beautiful woman. Sure, new species are discovered all the time, but while a new species of bird or insect is fascinating, it doesn’t mean “anything is possible,” and it is certainly not equivalent to finding a group of talking, thinking humanoids with fish tails covering half of their bodies. The confusion generated by “The Body Found” got to be so significant that the United States government issued an official statement on the matter.

When I started angrily posting about this on Facebook and Twitter, many of my nonscientist friends asked me why it matters if people believe in mermaids. It matters because the ocean is extremely important. It provides jobs for tens of millions of people and food for billions. However, many marine resources are being overexploited and mismanaged, leaving us in serious danger of losing them forever. Policy solutions can help, but if you are so ignorant about what is really happening in the ocean that you believe that there are organisms that are half human and half fish, you're almost certainly unaware of the important problems, much less how to solve them. Even if you don’t believe in mythical creatures, you may be unaware of the severity of the crises facing our oceans. Now that we’ve established that mermaids aren’t real, here are 5

Your assertion that Mermaids do not exist is extremely arrogant to say the least. Speaking from a purely logical standpoint, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. To believe that mermaids do not exist just because you cannot imagine it is incredibly naive. The scope of human knowledge gathered. since man could think is no where near enough to fully explain the world or the universe much less determine which species may or may not exist. Humble yourself and seek for truth with an open mind. The science you so claim to love requires a free spirit of enquiry to progress. Do not be like others self proclaimed scientists that have imprisoned themselves in a metaphorical tomb of their own making.
Re: Scientific Proof That Mermaid Does Not Exist by skyhighweb(m): 5:01pm On Oct 04, 2017
its a very simple thing, we have
1. sea
2. land
3. air

if there is a half woman half fish somewhere in d water, then theres a half woman half animal on land
and a half woman half bird in the air.
We cant only have weird sea mammal ko le werk, shikina.

(1) (Reply)

DIY Bluetooth Speaker Build / How To Hack Facebook Account Without Downloading Any App / Kemage Generator 4.5kva 4800 FOR SALE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.