Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,514 members, 7,875,043 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 12:01 AM

Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana (2897 Views)

Akon And His Manager Stun In Nigerian Native Outfit (Photos) / A Nairalander's Selfie With Akon And Tony Elumelu / Tuface Idibia And Wife Annie Loved Up In A New Music Video Shoot In The US(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by Nobody: 1:16am On Nov 19, 2013
Akon and WizKid are in Ghana shooting a music video ahead of their upcoming concert in the area. They have put out a casting call for Ghanian models and girls to participate the video, however, they have a very specific request, girls who are casted for the shoot must be light-skinned. One of the models and a group of girls who reported for the video shoot were turned away by an agent who informed them that “They now want half cast girls”. “Half cast”, is a term used to represent that the girls must be mixed race, preferable having white b***d in them. The agent even requested the dark-skinned girls help him locate these light-skinned girls because Akon and WizKid were adamant about the skin color preference. This type of discrimination in Africa is apparently nothing new for the area, as loads of girls in Akon’s hometown of Senegal and WizKid’s hometown of Nigeria are known for bleaching their skin to avoid discrimination. And this type of discrimination is not just limited to getting jobs in the entertainment or modeling fields but all areas of life in general. Favor is regularly shown toward the fairer skinned girls.
Activists, such as Adama Paris, are fighting to reverse these self-esteem issues by banning skinned bleached models from the Sengalese national fashion week. It’s hurtful to indigenous Ghanians that the celebrities would serve to discriminate against color in their native land causing some to consider boycotting their concert. Many feel that they should be an inspiration and help to promote beauty in all hues. Skin bleaching in parts of Africa have become an epidemic and acts of discrimination like this feed into it even further.

Re: Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by tpia5: 1:55am On Nov 19, 2013
The dark skinned models should thank them and use the opportunity to go back to school and learn a profession.

1 Like

Re: Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by Subom1(f): 8:55pm On Nov 19, 2013
This is coming from a guy(Akon) who is as black as night! How ironic. This is absolutely disgusting. Even though physically we are free from slavery, mentally we are still enslaved.

3 Likes

Re: Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by Danhumprey: 9:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
Do you see how some supposed Blackmen discriminate among themselves,preferring rather to be associated with a white skinned lady than a black lady. This is pathetic.

3 Likes

Re: Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by Lolitua(f): 9:53pm On Nov 19, 2013
darkness (akon)...semi darkness(wizkid)....
.dark models shud kindly ask God if dey ar destined 2 b a model.(upon all d whole marketin)
..xame sha *team blackgalrocks

2 Likes

Re: Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by Subom1(f): 9:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
tpia@:
The dark skinned models should thank them and use the opportunity to go back to school and learn a profession.
what a dumb and ignorant thing to say. Not all models are uneducated, besides that is what they want to do, just like singers/actors etc.

2 Likes

Re: Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 20, 2013
Subom1: This is coming from a guy(Akon) who is as black as night! How ironic. This is absolutely disgusting. Even though physically we are free from slavery, mentally we are still enslaved.

Lolitua: darkness (akon)...semi darkness(wizkid)....
.dark models shud kindly ask God if dey ar destined 2 b a model.(upon all d whole marketin)
..xame sha *team blackgalrocks

I luv nairalanders. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by Nobody: 6:46am On Nov 20, 2013
How many times we go see this same story for we Nairaland?
This topic been created like 4 times! angry

Go check it yourself, no time for posting links *off to work*

#TeamGOM

1 Like

Re: Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by kandiikane(m): 8:33pm On Nov 23, 2013
...It is their preference na. I don't see where they put down darkskins, all they wanted was some yellowbone lol. I mean it is understandable that because akon is so dark, he may want someone on the opposite side of the spectrum. I mean you should be happy they said 'half-cast' lol there is still black in half cast. You would have made it even more of an issue if they asked for caucasians only. Erm, if they had requested darkskins only, would that have been an issue too? lol, anyhow, sha what is the fuss when darkskins tend to be the ones picked for high fashion. How do you think the lightskins and inbetweens feel? lol, abeg joor! Leave matter.
Re: Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 24, 2013
kandiikane: ...It is their preference na. I don't see where they put down darkskins, all they wanted was some yellowbone lol. I mean it is understandable that because akon is so dark, he may want someone on the opposite side of the spectrum. I mean you should be happy they said 'half-cast' lol there is still black in half cast. You would have made it even more of an issue if they asked for caucasians only. Erm, if they had requested darkskins only, would that have been an issue too? lol, anyhow, sha what is the fuss when darkskins tend to be the ones picked for high fashion. How do you think the lightskins and inbetweens feel? lol, abeg joor! Leave matter.

Shut up and stop defending the indefensible. It won't surprise me if you are one of these colonized, ignorant idiots who think light skin is superior to dark. As for Akon and wizkid, their behaviour just goes to show the type of useless parents they have who gave them no decent upbringing.

1 Like

Re: Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by lynk106: 4:29pm On Nov 24, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Shut up and stop defending the indefensible. It won't surprise me if you are one of these colonized, ignorant idiots who think light skin is superior to dark. As for Akon and wizkid, their behaviour just goes to show the type of useless parents they have who gave them no decent upbringing.

Yea her comment was a bit dumb but abeg take "colonization" out of this jare. This has nothing to do with colonization. 100% sexism and self-insecurities.
I can't stand when ppl blame oyinbo for all their problems.

The only solution is when Nigerian women start to become successful artistes and professionals in their own right. Then we will not rely on men to define our identity for us (ex. bleaching, weave epidemic etc) in that case, Tpiah's comments make perfect sense.

tpia@:

100% CORRECT.
wizkid can choose who he wants in his video. The onus lays in black women's hands to stop buying wizkid music and thereby making the fool more popular than he deserves.
Re: Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by kandiikane(m): 1:36pm On Jan 04, 2014
Nonsense, I speak the truth and you call it du.mb
See double standards. You cannot have your cake and eat. Like I said it could work both ways. If they want all mix race women or caucasian then that is what they want. If another only wantssudanese toned women for their videos, I want to see the outrage as you have shown here. Rubbish!
Re: Akon And Wizkid Turn Away Dark Skinned Models From Video Shoot In Ghana by joeybankz: 1:21pm On Aug 07, 2014
The Konvict music Boss described the Jay Z and Beyonce Marriage with this phrase "more of business than real relationship"
No doubt, the two stars could still be Crazy In Love but Akon still believes that the fact that they've always presented their marriage as a business than a normal relationship, this is what is stirring up this kind of rumors from the public, the public is currently getting about their marriage.
http://www.naijapress.com.ng/akon-beyonce-jay-zs-union-corporate-arrangement/

(1) (Reply)

Ella Martins Says Everyone Now Calls Her Gennevieve Wife Back At Home / Malia Obama Straight Up Kicked A Girl At Lollapalooza / Photo: See What Popular Music Artist Was Caught Doing With His Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.