Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,943 members, 7,949,249 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 11:34 PM

Why Young People Should Invest In Shares - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Why Young People Should Invest In Shares (23837 Views)

Why Is It Hard For Most Young People To Save Money?? / How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? / All You Need To Know About Shares And Investing In Shares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by deols(f): 5:35pm On Nov 19, 2013
How do I take control over a share bought in my name.

I got an envelope with dividends written on it but I didnt buy the share.

There was an expiry date on it which had passed. I wasnt sure what to do about that and the money was not so much so I did not care much. I thought I'd receive another the following year but nothing came up.

I had wanted to learn more about how it works but i thought it is as simple as getting the annual dividends. But what happened in my case, does not seem like the usual..Is there an explanation for it?
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by bayulll01(m): 5:41pm On Nov 19, 2013
all crap i bought one in 2005 with the union homes saving and loans,8 years now av not heard anything from them everything in nigeria is pathetic

2 Likes

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by mustaphagreens(m): 5:43pm On Nov 19, 2013
@op, thanks for the post. Very educative! With N300,000 how many units of shares can i purchase?
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by ITbomb(m): 5:47pm On Nov 19, 2013
Why young people should not invest in shares.
I invested heavily in shares during the Banks IPO under Soludo and later the shares came crashing down then years later it came up again for me to make some profits
Lessons learnt
As a young man , never put all your savings into shares . Put max of 20% of ur savings and reinvest the rest in business .
I have come to learn also that shares are mainly designed for people with awoof money who do not care whether they can get their money back in 6 months time .
Invest wisely as a young man . If you have the time , i would rather you do business than buy shares
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by olumuyoy: 5:48pm On Nov 19, 2013
U wuld hardly see pple bcm succesfl by investing in anoda man's drims....y not use dat moni n start up smfinz small n watch it grow ovatym....many of us want to bi succesfl but alwaiz lukin for d easy way out....learn d curve n carve a niche for uresef

2 Likes

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 19, 2013
please is their anyone writting the CIS Diploma exams this December? Ie for institute of stockbrokers
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by 9jatatafo(m): 5:53pm On Nov 19, 2013
Daniel Amokachi is broke today because he lost $6.3 million in stock. I don't trust stock trading in Nigeria anymore

2 Likes

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:54pm On Nov 19, 2013
everyday: I thought the capital market in Nigeria is no longer a goldmine

Shrewd investors accumulate shares when the uninitiated run from the market, by the time every tom, dick and harry run to the market, you should know that the party is almost getting over.

2 Likes

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:55pm On Nov 19, 2013
9jatatafo: Daniel Amokachi is broke today because he lost $6.3 million in stock. I don't trust stock trading in Nigeria anymore

Your source?
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by ULSHERLAN(m): 5:56pm On Nov 19, 2013
FKBZ: IT SEEMS LIKE A HUGE RISK...WOULD LOVE TO BUT MY DAD LOOSED ALL HIS MONEY ON IT AND IT WAS A VERY HARD PERIOD DEN.

PLS LIST COMPANIES IN WHICH MY MONEY WOULD BE SECURED AT THE LONG RUN.
Exactly my point
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:56pm On Nov 19, 2013
olumuyoy: U wuld hardly see pple bcm succesfl by investing in anoda man's drims....y not use dat moni n start up smfinz small n watch it grow ovatym....many of us want to bi succesfl but alwaiz lukin for d easy way out....learn d curve n carve a niche for uresef

: Intelligent and long term investment in shares of good companies is a wonderful way of creating lasting wealth.Successful stock market investors are silent millionaires and billionaires, they have a high net-worth and own so much, but most people do not know. I was impressed when an elderly man who is close to 80 years made a donation of N10 million, during a fund raising exercise in my church which I co-ordinated for victims of Bokom Haram in Northern Nigerian. This impressive donation for a noble cause made me to get closer to Baba, and found out that the man is a veteran in stock market investment. I now have Baba as one of my mentors.

4 Likes

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by ULSHERLAN(m): 5:57pm On Nov 19, 2013
ITbomb: Why young people should out invest in shares.
I invested heavily in shares during the Banks IPO under Soludo and later the shares came crashing down then years later it came up again for me to make some profits
Lessons learnt
As a young man , never put all your savings into shares . Put max of 20% of ur savings and reinvest the rest in business .
I have come to learn also that shares are mainly designed for people with awoof money who do not care whether they can get their money back in 6 months time .
Invest wisely as a young man . If you have the time , i would rather you do business than buy shares
Thank u very much
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:58pm On Nov 19, 2013
The problem with Nigerians is that we do not like to read, for you to succeed in any investment you have to acquire the necessary knowledge.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by idrisnami(m): 5:58pm On Nov 19, 2013
Shares or no Shares, from my own xperince its just wastin of money. I bought a 500 unit of shares at #1800+ by 2008, nw wen I went to a stock brocker to comfirm my money, brocker was tellin that total of my money nw is #6000+. That is to say instead of my money to multiply na dividion den put on it. Infact I cldnt even collect it till nw. Bleep Shares
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
emmanuel ewumi: The problem with Nigerians is that we do not like to read, for you to succeed in any investment you have to acquire the necessary knowledge.

And behind every stock, there is a company. Try to understand the business model, product, market share, management competence, and growth potential of any company you invest in.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by mustaphagreens(m): 6:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
bayulll01: all crap i bought one in 2005 with the union homes saving and loans,8 years now av not heard anything from them everything in nigeria is pathetic
You made the wrong choice by buying shares from such a company, the name union homes saving and loans alone should've at least hinted u that there isn't hope 4 future appreciation of shares in such a company. Sorry 4 d loss shaa, i understand ur pain.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by idrisnami(m): 6:01pm On Nov 19, 2013
Shares or no Shares, from my own xperince its just wastin of money. I bought a 500 unit of shares at #1800+ by 2008, nw wen I went to a stock brocker to comfirm my money, brocker was tellin that total of my money nw is #6000+. That is to say instead of my money to multiply na dividion den put on it. Infact I cldnt even collect it till nw. Shares na shit+rubbish

1 Like

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:01pm On Nov 19, 2013
idrisnami: Shares or no Shares, from my own xperince its just wastin of money. I bought a 500 unit of shares at #1800+ by 2008, nw wen I went to a stock brocker to comfirm my money, brocker was tellin that total of my money nw is #6000+. That is to say instead of my money to multiply na dividion den put on it. Infact I cldnt even collect it till nw. Bleep Shares

read this

http://www.jarushub.com/how-to-invest-profitably-in-quoted-companies/
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:03pm On Nov 19, 2013
mustaphagreens:
You made the wrong choice by buying shares from such a company, the name union homes saving and loans alone should've at least hinted u that there isn't hope 4 future appreciation shares. Sorry 4 d loss shaa, i understand ur pain.

invest for cash-flow and not capital appreciation, when you invest for cash-flow no sooner or later the capital appreciation will come.

2 Likes

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by ikekings1: 6:06pm On Nov 19, 2013
Nice thread.. #following.. The gurus in the house should enlighten us the novice about this shares of a thing.. I'm interested..
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by ULSHERLAN(m): 6:08pm On Nov 19, 2013
See @op the truth is Most Nigerians have given up on shares. It used to be the main thing then I guess during soludo's regime it crashed, I still no of a family that invested a lot on shares then, the price crashed not too long they got it and till date it has not gotten to the price dey bought it talkless.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:09pm On Nov 19, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

invest for cash-flow and not capital appreciation, when you invest for cash-flow no sooner or later the capital appreciation will come.

https://www.nairaland.com/1233138/stock-performance-2000-2003-date
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by olumuyoy: 6:09pm On Nov 19, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

: Intelligent and long term investment in shares of good companies is a wonderful way of creating lasting wealth.Successful stock market investors are silent millionaires and billionaires, they have a high net-worth and own so much, but most people do not know. I was impressed when an elderly man who is close to 80 years made a donation of N10 million, during a fund raising exercise in my church which I co-ordinated for victims of Bokom Haram in Northern Nigerian. This impressive donation for a noble cause made me to get closer to Baba, and found out that the man is a veteran in stock market investment. I now have Baba as one of my mentors.
Bcs ure mentor bcm succesfl dosnt negate d fact dt thousands av suffered n even bcm impoverished due to investment in stocks....he his jes among d few fortunate pple dt av ripped d benefit of stock mrkt...stock mrkt in naija is lyk playing baba ijebu...capise

1 Like

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by freeyayo(m): 6:10pm On Nov 19, 2013
FBN Capital Limited is the investment banking and assest management subsidiary of FBN Holdings Plc. So why put your money in shares, invest in FBN with up 10% interest after 90 days.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:14pm On Nov 19, 2013
ULSHERLAN: See @op the truth is Most Nigerians have given up on shares. It used to be the main thing then I guess during soludo's regime it crashed, I still no of a family that invested a lot on shares then, the price crashed not too long they got it and till date it has not gotten to the price dey bought it talkless.

What were the values those people say before they invested in those stocks at those prices, to succeed in stock-market investment you need to learn how to value a company and its stock. Basic knowledge of arithmetic, accounting and maybe finance should assist in doing this.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:15pm On Nov 19, 2013
olumuyoy:
Bcs ure mentor bcm succesfl dosnt negate d fact dt thousands av suffered n even bcm impoverished due to investment in stocks....he his jes among d few fortunate pple dt av ripped d benefit of stock mrkt...stock mrkt in naija is lyk playing baba ijebu...capise

You will definitely lose money if you are a short term speculator, unintelligent investor or gambler
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 19, 2013
freeyayo: FBN Capital Limited is the investment banking and assest management subsidiary of FBN Holdings Plc. So why put your money in shares, invest in FBN with up 10% interest after 90 days.
pls give me your email or number,I want you to enlighten me more on it,I'm interested in this stuff!!
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by obinnakenedo(m): 6:16pm On Nov 19, 2013
Currently on sale. Plots at green gate v i p estate and Santa florida v i p estate, igbesa afta agbara. As low as N500k. Call chris for more info: 08185105562
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
freeyayo: FBN Capital Limited is the investment banking and assest management subsidiary of FBN Holdings Plc. So why put your money in shares, invest in FBN with up 10% interest after 90 days.

The return on the money market instrument is about 10% per annum, that can be pro-rated for 91 days.
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:19pm On Nov 19, 2013
rahazaqa: pls give me your email or number,I want you to enlighten me more on it,I'm interested in this stuff!!

FBN Capital will not accept less than N5 million from you, but you can invest in their mutual funds with as low as 50k.

http://www.fbncapital.com/
Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by soulglo: 6:22pm On Nov 19, 2013
It's never really a loss until you sell. Don't sell stocks just because the stock or the market drops. That's usually the time to buy more. Diversify, diversify, diversify. Don't put all your money in one sector and definitely not in one company stock.

1 Like

Re: Why Young People Should Invest In Shares by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:25pm On Nov 19, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

The return on the money market instrument is about 10% per annum, that can be pro-rated for 91 days.

On the long run return on stocks of good companies is better than money market investment.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

MMM: 7 Reasons Why Real Entrepreneurs Are Not Interested / MTN Nigeria Will Be A Public Liability Company (PLC) In 2016 / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.