Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,130 members, 7,977,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 12:46 AM

The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH (2961 Views)

Dr. John Hagee: Women Who Call God’s Name During Sex Should Be Jailed / What Special Name Do You Call God? / What Do Arab Christians Call God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by MightySparrow: 3:17pm On Nov 26, 2013
macof:

Because they are brainwashed, can't u see how they live

You are right o jare. People claiming a form of godliness denying the power thereof ......
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 26, 2013
macof:

the bible can be used to prove this

ok. I am waiting.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 4:16pm On Nov 26, 2013
Emusan:

What did I leave behind in that verse?
Blind fellow, I thought you know your Bible very well before ...mtcheeeee

NWT: Exo 34:14 "For you must not postrate yourself to other gods, [size=14pt]because Jehovah, whose name is jealous. Is a jealous God[/size]

Was Jehovah called jealous here or not?

I truely saw your confusion there. His name demands exclusive devotion, NOT that Jealous is now a name. that agrees with why prostrating to other gods offends Him. You really dont understand the scriptures.

Who are you worshiping apart from God Almighty?

the context is talking about how God views it when other gods are worshipped, the message is stating that He demands exclusive devotion. the context is not about the name of God. With your understanding, it will mean that His name is now JEALOUS not even Jehovah. How does that play out?
Again the context disagrees.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 4:59pm On Nov 26, 2013
macof:

In Israel their God's name is Yahweh
they find it offensive to call his name in vain and so they don't use that word in normal conversations.

The catholic church formed the name "Jehovah" while translating the Bible to English in respect for the Jews.

JHVH instead of YHWH. Hebrew consonant sounds of "Y" and "W" are transliterated to English as "J" and "V" respectively.
Exodus 6:3 is YHWH in Hebrew Bible

Yahweh according to wat we read in the Bible means I am that I am but it means something else to Jews

To fully decode names in the English Bible, you need the Hebrew Bible and good knowledge of Hebrew language

I really appreciate your writeups. It shows you are really a good researcher.

But that was not the question I asked sparrow if you followed my writeup very well.

However, your points are really great, but it was not the Catholic church that provided a way to pronounce that word in english. Catholic, according to there encyclopedia favour YAHWEH to Jehovah. compare also Jerusalem Bible. It was there monk invented a way to call it, though not in English.

Yahweh is the same thing as Jehovah. but the form, Yahweh is thought to be the one closer to the way the name could have sounded back then, though this is not important to translation.

I know that the name means more than I am that I am. Though that meaning is not far from the point, but it is not limited to that meaning. God can become what He wishes to accomplish His purposes. the name comes from a hebrew verb meaning, "He causes to become".
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by truthislight: 9:29pm On Nov 26, 2013
You are not really the one that should be answering this question, but that man that has let himself be deceived, who posted from a Roman catholic source.

macof:

Eli- My God
Jah is actually Yah in reference to Yahweh

Elijah means Yahweh my God

well, since you have answered, and said that Eli-Jah = means Yahweh is.......

The question is, why is it ok for you to call 'J'ah > 'Y'ah, in the case of Yahweh ?

And, why is it wrong to pronouce it Jahovah ?

According to you, Jah = Yah.

@Lacum

Why is Jahovah said to be an error by Roman catholic ?

*this question is for the person that posted that Jehovah is an Error.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by truthislight: 9:35pm On Nov 26, 2013
macof:

In Israel their God's name is Yahweh
they find it offensive to call his name in vain and so they don't use that word in normal conversations.

The catholic church formed the name "Jehovah" while translating the Bible to English in respect for the Jews.

JHVH instead of YHWH. Hebrew consonant sounds of "Y" and "W" are transliterated to English as "J" and "V" respectively.
Exodus 6:3 is YHWH in Hebrew Bible

Yahweh according to wat we read in the Bible means I am that I am but it means something else to Jews

To fully decode names in the English Bible, you need the Hebrew Bible and good knowledge of Hebrew language

Are you so confused ?

You just said that Jah = Yah from Eli-Jah above.

How inconsistent can you be ?

Smh for infants.
*Editted*
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 10:07pm On Nov 26, 2013
truthislight:

Are you so confused ?

You just said that Jah = Jah from Eli-Jah above.

How inconsistent can you be ?

Smh for infants.
I said Jah = Yah not Jah = Jah grin

Elijah's real name was probably Eliyah or Eliyahu [i]can't be sure tho[i]

Have u seen wat happened to Jesus's name? His real name is Yahshua(Yahweh's salvation) or Yeshua
The Jews don't write their vowels so letters of "a, e, i, o, u" sounds are always missing.

And the Greek and Latin writing was very different because vowels give meaning to written words.

I wasn't there but it's logical to assume that the translators of Hebrew Bible to Greek used "I" looking letter for sounds of "Y" : Yah would be written like "Iah". and Latin writers assumed it as "J"
I have seen where Jehovah is written as Ieovah.
Do u know that "J" is silent in Spanish?
"Jesus" is pronounced as "E-su-s" in Spanish.

The name of Elijah isn't pronounced that way in Hebrew.

And as I posted before "I" in Greek is "J" in English for the pronunciation of "Y" in Hebrew.

That's how Eliyah is written as Elijah in English text.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Femmymata2(m): 11:33pm On Nov 26, 2013
Ijele-igbo:

In spite of different doctrines you hear from different churches, what should be your map and guide?
How can you know the truth??
THE BIBLE.... The word of God is truth.... Study it and let the Holy spirit reveal all the answers you need to know
If the HOLY SPIRIT EXIST, there will have been less cönfusion. A HoLY SpiRit filled Christian(m.o.g,pastor,bishop) reads the bible and says JESuS is God.. While another holy spirit possessed christian says JESUS IS not God.. Another says jesus is angel michael . HOW MANY HOLY SPIRIT Dey self?
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by truthislight: 12:09am On Nov 27, 2013
macof:
that was an Error i made, i ment to write : Jay = Yah.

I have corrected it.

macof:

Have u seen wat happened to Jesus's name? His real name is Yahshua(Yahweh's salvation) or Yeshua
The Jews don't write their vowels so letters of "a, e, i, o, u" sounds are always missing.

And the Greek and Latin writing was very different because vowels give meaning to written words.

I wasn't there but it's logical to assume that the translators of Hebrew Bible to Greek used "I" looking letter for sounds of "Y" : Yah would be written like "Iah". and Latin writers assumed it as "J"

And as I posted before "I" in Greek is "J" in English for the pronunciation of "Y" in Hebrew.

So, why the selective acceptance ?

You people or catholic feels ok with Eli'jah', and makes case for 'Jah'ovah ?

Is it because it is associated with Jehovah's witnesses ?

Will your name sound the same in every part of the world ?

Is the name of Jesus pronounce the way in all parts of the world ?

Will Jesus reject true worshipers because they pronounce the name differently ?

You be the Judge.

I leave you to your conscience.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 7:01am On Nov 27, 2013
macof:

Oga, you are trying, but translation is not looking for the exact pronunciation in hebrew, rather we just want to know how it sounds colloquially in another language. If you keep searching for how it is pronounced in hebrew, you are not talking translation again.

That was the argument of Dr. Rotherham before, but later, he changed his view and began using Jehovah as the Witnesses does. Many scholars do not just understand that in translation, we are not searching for the exact way the words are pronounced in hebrew tongue. Even Catholics fell into this kind of criticism, and the witnesses have proven time without number that they simply do not understand the difference between translation and transliteration.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 10:47pm On Nov 27, 2013
Femmymata2: If the HOLY SPIRIT EXIST, there will have been less cönfusion. A HoLY SpiRit filled Christian(m.o.g,pastor,bishop) reads the bible and says JESuS is God.. While another holy spirit possessed christian says JESUS IS not God.. Another says jesus is angel michael . HOW MANY HOLY SPIRIT Dey self?

When Jesus left this earth, he promised us he will give us another comforter who will guide us in all things.... The Holy Spirit is real..... The Holy spirit is the spirit of God
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by edogho(m): 2:54pm On Dec 05, 2013
Me thinks this thread's closed,Macof got his ans(just a guess,i.e if he does not come up with anytin. And the op and those watching or reading got their ans too.(another guess).
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 11:23pm On Dec 05, 2013
JMAN05:

Oga, you are trying, but translation is not looking for the exact pronunciation in hebrew, rather we just want to know how it sounds colloquially in another language. If you keep searching for how it is pronounced in hebrew, you are not talking translation again.

That was the argument of Dr. Rotherham before, but later, he changed his view and began using Jehovah as the Witnesses does. Many scholars do not just understand that in translation, we are not searching for the exact way the words are pronounced in hebrew tongue. Even Catholics fell into this kind of criticism, and the witnesses have proven time without number that they simply do not understand the difference between translation and transliteration.

I understand all this but the JW base their self on names gotten through erroneous Translations not the actual names as known in the original Bible
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by truthislight: 11:51pm On Dec 05, 2013
macof:

I understand all this but the JW base their self on names gotten through erroneous Translations not the actual names as known in the original Bible

Yeah! Just like the name Elijah is an error.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 6:34am On Dec 06, 2013
macof:

I understand all this but the JW base their self on names gotten through erroneous Translations not the actual names[name] as known in the original Bible

What is this erroneous translation and what is the right translation?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does Length Of Church Service Matter? / God Has No Religion. True Or False? / How Much Did Judas Sold Jesus In Today's Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.