Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,212 members, 7,947,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 12:24 PM

My Laptop Buying Experience - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Laptop Buying Experience (3936 Views)

*must Read* Laptop Buying Tips / Laptop Buying Guide 2013: Some Essential Tips / How To Use The Sim Card Slot On My Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Laptop Buying Experience by semid4lyfe(m): 8:29pm On Jul 19, 2008
Hi,Guys.I just bought a laptop today so I thought I'll share my experience, so here goes.My bro and I set out this morning to computer village.On getting there we did the CUSTOMARY window shopping and browsing and we finally ended up @ Westgate technologies ltd simply because it was an accredited major dealer of HP products and this was buttressed by the fact that they had HP call contact agents stationed right in their office premises who gave a gift for buying Hp product of at least 100k.I bought an HP pavillion dv6899ei with intel core 2 duo processor,processor speed 1.8GHz,15.4'' WXGA screen,2GB DDR SDRAM,250GB hard drive,802.11b/g WLAN & bluetooth,webcam,HP mobile remote control,multi 8X DVD+/-RW with double layer support,nVidia GeForce 8400 GS with 256MB DDR dedicated graphics memory,HP Quickplay,5 in 1 digital media reader,ExpressCard/54 PC Card Slot,6 cell lithium ion battery and WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM operating system.I collected my gift from the HP people and was feeling really cool
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by tomiade1(m): 9:38pm On Jul 19, 2008
how much did u purchase your laptop from Westgate?
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by semid4lyfe(m): 11:12pm On Jul 19, 2008
with my self until I asked 4 d neccessary settings,activation & configtn 2 b done & I was told that d vista is a trial version and that it would expire in 60 days after which I will not be able 2 use ms packages like word,excell, office & powerpoint unless I buy any of the original windows vista packages and install it.This packages range 4rm 20 - 60k.After much complaining d engnr told me that I that I would still have my vista and other processes like d media player running and d only thing is that I wont be able 2 use the ms packages until I install full version of any of the vista packages.
He then told me that all recent laptops come with vista 60 days trial version and never with full version.He also said that after 60 days,I can install Windows 2003.He then backed up the hard disk into 3 cd's in case I ever have 2 format the system.He also mentioned that d windows 2003 if I install it will slow down my pc.2 cut a long story short,all current laptops come with 60 days trial vista OS,so bware
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by semid4lyfe(m): 11:28pm On Jul 19, 2008
So,pc geeks in da house,is there a way round d expiration of da vista?Can I install Windows 2003 without it affecting da speed of my system?Please,reply because it will be appreciated.
I'm currently playing music with d windows media player 11 and believe me its da BOMB.
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by uspry1(f): 11:41pm On Jul 19, 2008
Yes all newer laptop and deskotp computer has 60 days Windows Vista trial version in order to buy full version upon 60 days trial expired.

I am so sorry, this is FACT!

Let other comment about re-install Windows 2003 upon Windows Vista 60 days trial expired, because I myself am not Windows Vista user.

I stick with both Windows XP professional and Ubuntu 8.04, never want buying Windows Vista anymore over 20 years my experience of upgrade Windows OS too many times (all phase out: Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, and now Windows XP). Windows XP will be phase out in 2010 or 2014.(i don't remember which one)

And I never buy newer desktop pc system, i always disassemble myself to replace newer motherboard/CPU processor/hard disk drive every 5 years once one of part died out. Just like car trade in for newer car when older car about to broke down sooner after 10-12 years longer. No problem.

Good luck.
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by semid4lyfe(m): 1:29am On Jul 20, 2008
Tomi-ade,4rm d specs and features I listed u should be able 2 guess the price range.I can't drop the price because of d comments that will follow.
PC geeks in da house,is there anyway round this Vista expiration problem because I heard it won't work with a pirated version because I can't afford to buy any of da original vista packages as na by force I take buy this laptop.One more
thing,the laptop came with norton protection suite 60 days trial version also.
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by femzy(m): 4:23am On Jul 20, 2008
@ poster ;Its like you are getting it all wrong. All Vista OS on HP Pavs. Laptops dont expire.

Its just the Microsoft office package that does that after the trial period.And when it does; you can always get an Office package around that you can use. wink wink
So my guy no room for shaking, tongue tongue
@Tomiade; How far now wink winkDidn't you get my mail
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by semid4lyfe(m): 6:10am On Jul 20, 2008
Femzy,remember I said after the 60 days I won't be able 2 use the ms applications on the pc so we are basically saying the same thing.Exactly which of the ms office applications do u recommend I get and can it b a pirated version?Pls,details will be appreciated.
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by femzy(m): 9:02am On Jul 20, 2008
I recommend MSOffice 2007 and any one thhat tells you that the 03 version would make your machine slower is telling you jargons, Yes you can always get a pirated version , Also i forgot to tell you that the Norton Symantec Security that came with it would expire too. You may call me if you can't get any of these and i will always be willing to help you, wink wink
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by sfinxone(m): 10:16pm On Jul 20, 2008
If you buy a new system (whether desktop or laptop) that comes with any Original Operating System installed it is the full Version (it might require you to register online within certain number of days or else it will deny u access till you do so).

The cost of the OS is bundled with the cost of the system (which is why systems that come without an OS pre-installed are cheaper).

It's the 3rd party (other) software installed e.g Anti-virus software, Media playing software e.t.c. that are usually trial or half featured versions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by semid4lyfe(m): 8:54am On Jul 21, 2008
Femzy,thanks 4 your prompt reply.I guess ms office 2007 is it then.I now realize the engineer told me what he did to con me into buying a vista package.Femzy, do u know anything about vista activator cos my software guy at Computer Village said I should get the activator instead.
Whats your advice?
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by femzy(m): 9:47am On Jul 21, 2008
Why are you talking about vista crack.That's something else.I am sure that your machine came with Vista Premium and its registered cos i happen to sell those kind of machines.

Don't get this thang muffuled up my friend.All u need do is either to crack the Office package or just simply uninstall the package and install another one(full version).
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by RipVanWink: 10:58am On Jul 21, 2008
cracks full 4 otigba,
mek sure u buy the dvd version, thats what am using now, n it works cool.

u can still uninstall the office 2007 n install 2003 office, it works well too
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by tolu10: 4:04am On Jul 22, 2008
semid4lyfe and Everyone,

It seems you may have purchased a refurbished Laptop that was refornatted with an illegal copy of Vista. Understand that microsoft your computer's OS can shut down after license expiration and you may loose all your data.

The reason why I say that is because the vista verion on any Laptop should never expire most computer manufacturers would have paid for the license upfront. So when the consumer (some one like yourself) buys a computer you do not need another license except if you want to upgrade to a better version of your Operating System (OS).

As a Nigerian we like to get bargains even when it does not make sense. As an educated consumer you should do some research by checking out the HP prices on their web site. This will give you an idea of how much to pay. Anything less then you should be suspicious.

I sell about 10 or more computers per month and they are all brand new and comes with Manufacturers Warranty for a year. This also includes tech support from the vendor.

I encounter people from time to time who say things like "Your prices are high, some one else is selling for less" And from my experience they are buying junk that was passed down after passing it's useful life. But because Nigerians want to get the best for less then get conned and end up paying less in return for junk.

So whose fault is it. Is it the Buyer who want's to pay less than the product is because of greed or is it the sellers fault who is selling a substandard product for less to a consumer who is only concerned about price.

By the way the HP representative that you said you saw is probably a fraud to win over your confidence. With the sheer amount of computers sold in Nigeria. HP cannot afford to have an employee tied down in vendors store.

Vista never expires. the only thing that expires will be Microsoft office as it some with a 60 day trial period.

if you have any questions on how to verify your purchase email me at tolu10@hotmail.com

Good Luck and Gos Bless

1 Like

Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by Delta007(m): 12:58pm On Jul 22, 2008
Why would you purchase a laptop with Vista OS trial version? undecided Doesnt make sense to me, unless you or the so-called Engineer got your info wrong. Goodluck with your new laptop.

1 Like

Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by semid4lyfe(m): 8:21pm On Jul 22, 2008
Tolu10,Delta007 and REXX,do u guys know how to read at all?I corrected my previous post in a latter one and said it is the MS office that expires in 60 days time not the vista,so your point about vista never expiring is moot.Tolu10,I get tired of people like u who propound theories and form opinions on what should be & not the reality on ground.In my 1st post,I said the Hp guys were Hp call contact agents which implies they are not directly employed by Hp and besides do u know anything about Westgate Technologies?Incase u don't,its the SLOT equivalent 4 pc's & assessories in Computer village.I
mean its just like u saying that if nokia or motorola attaches 1 or 2 people 2 slot who give gifts 4 buying any of their products above 20k,then Slot sells fake phones.Guy wake up.No be 2day I enter Lagos and besides I sabi CV pass the road to my house.More,over the Hp girls gave me a detailed Hp product questionare to fill.If only u knew Westgate technologies u wont b talking like this.I rest my case.
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by amor4ce(m): 10:00pm On Jul 22, 2008
we are learning
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by amor4ce(m): 11:23pm On Jul 22, 2008
sorry about the expiring ms office.never heard of that b4.
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by tomiade1(m): 10:38am On Aug 07, 2008
@ Semi, i got the same laptop from Westgate on the 1st of aug, really cool color, thanks for sharing your experience here, cool
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by semid4lyfe(m): 5:15pm On Aug 07, 2008
Tomi_ade,way 2 go man!Welcome to the league of HP special edition laptop owners.No mind all d haters misyarning on this thread.Immediately u waka enta WG tech,u know u're in d right place.Hope Nnamdi backed up d pc for you & u collected your gift from da Hp gals.
I'm yet 2 c a LT that can stand it in beauty & aesthetics.D golden bronze color is beautiful and unique, & d silver keyboard panel & keys 2 fine.In addtn,it has advanced specs & functions.Wetin remain na 2 love-vendor am wit correct softwares.1 more thing,how is d BATTERY LIFE of your laptop?
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by semid4lyfe(m): 5:43pm On Aug 07, 2008
As an aside,1 of my guys wey dey use hp pavillion LT talk say make I sell am d carrying bag.I tell am sey I neva luv am reach like that.Abi,isn't dat 1 of d things that makes it a special edition and different 4rm other HP pavillion LT's.
SELL KO,DASH NI!He wan turn im laptop 2 special edition by force.Just kiddin o!
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by chikend(m): 1:04am On Aug 12, 2008
so my ms office will expire soon,. for real?
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by tobidaflava(m): 8:01am On Aug 12, 2008
Take it or leave it !
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by Vuitton(m): 12:53pm On Aug 12, 2008
@ poster
Nice lappy u got there, Enjoy!
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 15, 2008
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by semid4lyfe(m): 5:58pm On Aug 15, 2008
@meetneodig.u're right about d norton antivirus expiring in d 60 days too.Well I've still got 33 days left on my norton av so I ain't worrying about dat yet.
2 answer ur ?,u can buy d antivirus online @ their website with a credit card.d equivalent naira cost is about 4-5k.There are also some high class sales outlets in naija dat sell d original AV.It goes 4 about 8-10k.So,guy make ur choice.
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by tomiade1(m): 3:25pm On Aug 18, 2008
thanks mehn, the laptop is just too beautiful, u forgot to add the wireless mouse that came with it, and yeah i got my gift, my battery lasts for approximately 3hr 10mins when watching movies, but more when reading or just surfing the internet, WESTGATE is the place mehn, THanks once again Semi,
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by uspry1(f): 10:09pm On Aug 18, 2008
It is nice to hear your experience sharing about laptop purchase so happy as well as advice them choosing the right ones!

For those pc users who got your expired trial version anti-virus software, you are about to renew full-version commercial (paid) anti-virus software.

Hey, why don't you get freeware home edition anti-virus for FREE [/b]that is found at below link:

[b]Anti-virus Downloads - filehippo.com

http://www.filehippo.com/software/antivirus/
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by burla: 5:10pm On Aug 19, 2008
@poster

please can you give me the address of WESTGATE TECHNOLOGIES , I know CV very well but I dont kew their office there and what a time to get a post like this from ya , I have been very very confused as to what laptop to buy since I am looking to change my laptop, Can I get that HP , I have between 100-130k cash now, Just tell me if I can get it with that range of cash if you cant tell me the exact price so I know what I am going there with, Thanks for sharing your experience men!! HP's now becoming today's Dell,
peace!!
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by tomiade1(m): 7:41pm On Aug 19, 2008
@burla
as for the address of westgate technologies, i think i can help u with that, they are on 17 Adepele street in computer village, when u get there just ask for Adepele street, and u can also catch them on www.westgatetek.com,
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by semid4lyfe(m): 4:39am On Aug 20, 2008
Shoo,I confess I'm guilty of neglecting my thread.
@ burla++,130k will not quite get u d Hp pavillion Special Edition,but there is an equally good hp pavillion
within your price range with all d specs i listed 4 my hp S.E lappy.
Infact d only difference btwn d S.E and that 1 is d wireless mouse and d carrying bag.Apart from these all other specs are d same as d S.E but guy my advice is add btwn 5-10k and get d S.E.
@Tomi-ade,You're always welcome.It was d least I could do as I've benefited immensely from this forum in d past.
@Uspry1,our dear moderator,thanks 4 your advice on freeware antiviruses but bliv me I've got 4 Pc
Security suites,7 antiviruses and 3 anti-spywares,all 2008 editions waiting on the sidelines 4 d expiration of d Norton security suite.
1nce again THANKS.
Re: My Laptop Buying Experience by burla: 9:42am On Aug 20, 2008
@poster

thanks for the info.You didn't completely let the cat outta the bag but I got the koko so thanks.i'd storm westgate technologies very very soon and i hope the offer wont elapse soonu said there's a free gift for purchases over 100k,i hope it doesn't end soon cos i want my free gift too, lol

@tomi_ade

thanks for the info also.You did very well by also giving their website , lets hope i can get correct info there thats if their site is updated cos nigerians are fond of just dumping their site and no proper update!!

@uspry1

Our dear moderator like the poster rightly said, Correct link there, thanks!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? / .. / Just Arrived Apple Macbook Pro 13" N100,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.