Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,305 members, 7,881,125 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:03 PM

President Jonathan's Speech At The 15th HIIC Meeting In London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan's Speech At The 15th HIIC Meeting In London (400 Views)

Jonathan's Speech At Handover Presentation. / Jonathan's Speech At The UN General Assembly / Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan's Speech At The 15th HIIC Meeting In London by naijacenter(f): 7:46pm On Nov 22, 2013
1. It is with great pleasure that I welcome our distinguished Council Members to the 15 th meeting of the Honorary International Investor Council (HIIC) in London, and in particular, His Excellency Mohammed Al Shaibani, the new member who is here with us for the first time.

2. His Excellency Al Shaibani is the Director General of the Ruler’s Court, Government of Dubai, and the CEO and Executive Director of the Investment Corporation of Dubai. We are glad to have him join us, and look forward to his contributions and insights at Council.

3. Dear Council Members, as we approach the end of 2013, it is only ideal that I begin this address first by thanking you all for your continued commitment to Nigeria. Our country is indeed honored to have friends and partners like you, with whom we can openly share ideas, and shape our agenda.

4. With every HIIC meeting I attend, I am always encouraged to see the quality of the debate, the frankness of the conversation, and the big things Nigeria can achieve. I am also sure you likewise are inspired by the vast potential and opportunities within our great country. Indeed at the HIIC, I can sincerely say that we are all in very good company. The investment of your time and effort in driving the HIIC is recognized, and on behalf of the Nigerian people, I say thank you.

5. This 15 th meeting builds on the last conversation we had in Abuja and begins to address the fundamental issues constraining competitiveness and investment in Nigeria. Competitiveness ultimately drives profitability, which is what investors are seeking worldwide. To be competitive, we must address long standing issues, and introduce bold and courageous reforms, regardless of short term political pressures. This is why my government has remained steadfast in making Nigeria the preferred location for investors to do business, because it is our only pathway to create jobs, generate wealth, and guarantee our security.

6. In building a truly competitive environment for business, we are addressing the fundamental issues such as internal security and power supply head-on. For the first time in Nigeria's 53 year history, we have successfully privatized the electric power industry.

7. We are bringing capital, technology, and operational excellence into the sector. As a result, 11 distribution companies, and four (4) generation companies have been privatized, realising over US$3 billion for Government. For Council’s information the assets were finally handed over on 1 st November, 2013.

8. I am delighted to inform you that investors are responding positively to the opportunities in the sector and we expect to see significant investments in the sector and across the value chain going forward. Ladies and Gentlemen, resolving the power sector alone, completely changes the paradigm on doing business in Nigeria, and we are satisfied with the progress made.

Read full article and more photos here: http://www.naijacenter.com/business/president-jonathan-speech-15th-hiic-meeting-london/

(1) (Reply)

Get Adsense For Your Website Now / G-7 Governors Join APC! / World AIDS Day 2013 ,you, And Vision 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.