Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,051 members, 7,899,737 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 06:31 PM

Common Grammatical Tautologies - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Grammatical Tautologies (50628 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 7:09pm On Nov 23, 2013
naijaguy77:

Sorry but you are wrong on several counts. Language is about context, and English is no different.

1) Very Beginning is CORRECT. 2) Small Minority is CORRECT. Again6) Past Experiences is absolutely correct. 7) Old Adage is 100% correct. This one has nothing little to do with context. The word Adage is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as "A proverb or short statement expressing a general truth." Nothing to do with how old the proverb or statement is. It may have been coined yesterday. So 'Old Adage' is an adage that is quite old, simple.

I shall leave it at this. Just remember, the English Language is a living Language, it keeps on changing. So quit quibbling over semantics and concern yourself with syntax.
See how you went for those tautologies that you could easily do justice to. Check the others listed and analyse.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Dsage1: 7:11pm On Nov 23, 2013
homesteady: Uyi, it is still tautology!

Those phrases are not really a tautology considering the fact that some of them needs proper clarification when giving out instruction. Eg "past experience" experience is not limited to the past, it's of past,present and future. E.g, someone can ask " would you like to experience it"?

And how on earth would you says 4am is tautology? 4 indicates exact time,so how is that a tautology?

Please go and re-examine all what you called tautology.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by fairari022(m): 7:11pm On Nov 23, 2013
learning procedures should be in stages, what niger area need for now is how to pronounce English words correctly before advancing to corrections in tautology

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by pazienza(m): 7:12pm On Nov 23, 2013
oche_ejemb:

Safe Haven is an English expression, or a metaphor used to mean something semantically different from a physical haven, in that it could have nothing to be with being an actual haven. e.g the toilet can be seen as 'a safe haven' where you go to escape the harshness of the world while taking an epic poo, however, in realty your safe haven is not actually protecting you from anything, as a real 'haven' is intended to.

First time ever is yet another commonly used expression especially in spoken English. "This is the first time this year I've written such a long reply" this year vs "This is the first time (I've) ever written such a long reply".

In one way or another, is yet again, another English metaphor. Did you learn English the same way you learnt Maths?

Thanks bro, i remember that celiene dion song titled '' first time ever i saw your face''. I don't think any thing is wrong with that phrase.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by badmeat(m): 7:12pm On Nov 23, 2013
I dey hear the smell!undecided
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by gameboy727(m): 7:12pm On Nov 23, 2013
ludot:

Prolonged usage of WRONG TAUTOLOGY ....*cough*cough*

Is there RIGHT TAUTOLOGY?
LMAO.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by busterr(m): 7:12pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: 8.Live recording. Damn. All recordings are live. Music and celebrity section please.

9.Safe haven. Literature gurus, Is there such thing as unsafe haven? Havens are by their definitions safe places.

10.First time ever. It's either your first time or it isn't. Decide!

11.General public. This is the most common. All those news being addressed to the general public, unless you're treating certain members of the public as special, all members of the public are general.

12.In one way or another. If it's not true in one way, then it's not freaking true. How can something be true in both ways?

13.Exact same/ exactly the same. The word exact is redundant in this phrase

nice i must say, but i disagree with the 'first time ever' part
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 7:15pm On Nov 23, 2013
D sage:

Those phrases are not really a tautology considering the fact that some of them needs proper clarification when giving out instruction. Eg "past experience" experience is not limited to the past, it's of past,present and future. E.g, someone can ask " would you like to experience it"?

And how on earth would you says 4am is tautology? 4 indicates exact time,so how is that a tautology?

Please go and re-examine all what you called tautology.
So the sentence '4am in the morning' doesn't sound like one right?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Pato5(m): 7:16pm On Nov 23, 2013
@op I am a science student but from the little I learnt from English language class, there is literal speech n figurative speech. U can't understand a figurative speech from the meaning of the individual words but rather from a collective perspective... I stand to be corrected
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Andrew3(m): 7:18pm On Nov 23, 2013
Mubby4luv:
Later wen u kill someone u will plead tht it's an act ov god. Its because of ppl lyk u am over careful on da road angry

Simply the devil's work.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by fairari022(m): 7:18pm On Nov 23, 2013
[color=#770077]
Wat if I say my recent /current experience with Vivly[quote author=Vivly] If it's your current experience, then maybe you should stop sharing this now and go on experiencing your whatever.
P.S. What's the dictionary meaning of experience?
[color=#770077]
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Young03(m): 7:19pm On Nov 23, 2013
NEXT WEEK TUESDAY ...cheesy
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by akdjr(m): 7:20pm On Nov 23, 2013
Which ever way we write it, remember it is not our language. Even the British still find it difficult to speak or write any of our language fluently.
Vivly: 8.Live recording. Damn. All recordings are live. Music and celebrity section please.

9.Safe haven. Literature gurus, Is there such thing as unsafe haven? Havens are by their definitions safe places.

10.First time ever. It's either your first time or it isn't. Decide!

11.General public. This is the most common. All those news being addressed to the general public, unless you're treating certain members of the public as special, all members of the public are general.

12.In one way or another. If it's not true in one way, then it's not freaking true. How can something be true in both ways?

13.Exact same/ exactly the same. The word exact is redundant in this phrase
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by abdulslutsky(m): 7:21pm On Nov 23, 2013
ludot:

Prolonged usage of WRONG TAUTOLOGY ....*cough*cough*

Is there RIGHT TAUTOLOGY?

Overwhelmed with hilarity, a good indication that you are not a mediocrity.

Its simply TAUTOLOGY.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by mrrock: 7:21pm On Nov 23, 2013
@A-ZeD.
Minority already suggest small. It's ok.
It doesn't matter how small.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by TV01(m): 7:21pm On Nov 23, 2013
Haven't read the whole thread, but did anyone mention my personal favourite - "Reverse back" grin

TV
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 7:22pm On Nov 23, 2013
fairari022:
Wat if I say my recent /current experience with Vivly.
If it's your current experience, then maybe you should stop sharing this now and go on experiencing your whatever.
P.S. What's the dictionary meaning of experience?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Diamonddris(m): 7:23pm On Nov 23, 2013
Follow follow
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Afrok(m): 7:26pm On Nov 23, 2013
"u'll fall down"
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by efe22(m): 7:27pm On Nov 23, 2013
Born again Christian. Although this one is used by large numbers of ignoramuses all over the media.
The day you accepted Christ you became a born again person and new creature. You are either a Christian or a born again person or you are not.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Gospell(m): 7:27pm On Nov 23, 2013
Clap your hand-Before will you clap our head?
Blink your eyes-Before will you Blink your stomach?
Sniff your nose-Before will sniff your tongue
Node your head-Before will you node your teeth
............etc
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Yahoo1(m): 7:29pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: In as much as some of the facts are incorrect, they are still tautologies. A deeper view, breakdown of the concepts will show this. Most of those facts are accepted as spoken english, maybe due to constant usage but it doesn't change the fact that it's a tautology
They're not saying you are 'TOTALLY" wrong,they are just saying that the usage of some of the 'so called tautologies' in some sentences are right!..

pulease dnt tell me it's either wrong or not ooooo...dat's y i Capitalised total ...lol
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by grandstar(m): 7:30pm On Nov 23, 2013
reverse back (2) another last chance
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by iyaayi(f): 7:30pm On Nov 23, 2013
Cold icewater, return back
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by fairari022(m): 7:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
he/she who isn't guilty should be the very first to cast a stone
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Yahoo1(m): 7:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
::Andrew:::

Common madam don't be that like that, am driving and typing. angry angry
u need to be charged for that! "TYPING WHILE DRIVING" dude!
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 7:35pm On Nov 23, 2013
Yeeeaa...If I speak am,come beat me
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by adconline(m): 7:37pm On Nov 23, 2013
Nigerian passport or International passport? What makes it international if the holder, is Nigerian and has never used it to travel? I hear of UK passport, RSA passport, US passport but in Naija it's international passport

3 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Decryptor(m): 7:38pm On Nov 23, 2013
I forgot to add... "As faith would have it"
instead of "As fate would have it"
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by ocheejemb: 7:38pm On Nov 23, 2013
::Andrew:::
Pick 'your call', The call is already your's otherwise It won't come to you in the first place. angry angry angry
\

Now you are just being silly.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by tinoblinx: 7:38pm On Nov 23, 2013
If we'll b learning here, then let ASUU keep striking.
Learning mood.......
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by yemi2plus(m): 7:39pm On Nov 23, 2013
efe22: Born again Christian. Although this one is used by large numbers of ignoramuses all over the media.
The day you accepted Christ you became a born again person and new creature. You are either a Christian or a born again person or you are not.
You're wrong.
We've born again muslims, traditionalists e.t.c

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Viral Pause Challenge Hits South African Schools (Pictures) / Check Out This Hilarious Notice On Masturbation By University Of Massachusetts / Secondary Students Celebrate Graduation By Carrying Their Colleague Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.