Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,829 members, 7,872,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:56 PM

Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? (1605 Views)

Who Are The Sons Of God Having Sex With The Daughters Of Men In Genesis 6:1-4? / What Do Christians Mean By "Its Your Heart That Matters" / "The Perpetual Virginity Of Mary": Did Mary Have Other Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by novicali: 8:23am On Nov 24, 2013
I have keenly watch it unfolds on several occasions that women are applauded for being virgins before getting married and I have not seen such gestures reciprocated on the side of the men. And worse still, it is like a routine that men should not be virgins before getting married, in other word it doesn't matter. I think men should be treated the same way women are treated in this regard, because if the men can maintain their virginity there is no way women will lose theirs.
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by againstGEJ(m): 8:23am On Nov 24, 2013
because you cant prove or disprove that of men.
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by novicali: 8:26am On Nov 24, 2013
The truth is that women has been at the receiving end in this kind of matter. This is wrong and should be corrected because for any woman to lose her virginity a man should be involved and that man should be treated as the main culprit!
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by novicali: 8:32am On Nov 24, 2013
But why do men take pride in saying I married a virgin and such men have equally made many women lose their virginity?
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by greatgod2012(f): 8:36am On Nov 24, 2013
Hypocrisy!
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by Localamos(m): 8:37am On Nov 24, 2013
againstGEJ: because you cant prove or disprove that of men.

I don't quite get you. How do you prove that a girl is a virgin?
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by novicali: 8:53am On Nov 24, 2013
greatgod2012: Hypocrisy!
you are right.... and many men are eager and seriously searching for virgins to married after they have corrupted many women and dump them
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by kwaraguy(m): 9:32am On Nov 24, 2013
To me, female virgins are boring sef not to now talk of a male one. Can't imagine how it would be if both couple are virgins

My Opinion Sha!
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by djeezy(m): 10:14am On Nov 24, 2013
We tend to let go off things we cannot prove. A man can always claim to be a virgin, but a woman, when the time comes we'll definitely know whether she is or not. Btw, is this the apt section for this kinda thread?
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by honeric01(m): 10:44am On Nov 24, 2013
The body of a woman represent alot and is a symbol, a woman who has had too many sex/partners is always seen as an unpure/slut unlike men.

Remember that women take in but men don't. women receive and the more men you sleep with, the more "good/bad/rubbish" you take into your body.

Women are vessel carrier, men are not.

Women represent life in numerous ways.

A virgin woman is seen as someone who's still pure physically, mentally, sexually and medically unlike her counterpart.

Dunno if these statements make sense. embarassed
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by EvilBrain1(m): 11:08am On Nov 24, 2013
If you read the bible and the Koran. you'll see that women ate eessentially property for men's use and enjoyment. A woman who is not a virgin is just like a second hand car, she is damaged goods with reduced value and nobody wants to pay full price for something like that.

All the metaphysical cráp that honeric01 is spewing is just a way to rationalize away the ugly underbelly of his faith. "Because women receive, that's why they must be virgins and men don't." "Its because women are vessels, we're not a bunch of sexist hypocrites at all".
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by honeric01(m): 11:57am On Nov 24, 2013
^^^

Its unreasonable to call other people's view (based on their faith and understanding) crap just because they're different from yours.

You can't call the term 'difference" a sexist view, we're not the same, we can never be the same and we were not made to do the same fuctions, hence the reason i see women as more "complicated/delicate" specie than male.

Learn to reason in a civilized way.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by novicali: 1:19pm On Nov 24, 2013
Evil Brain: If you read the bible and the Koran. you'll see that women ate eessentially property for men's use and enjoyment. A woman who is not a virgin is just like a second hand car, she is damaged goods with reduced value and nobody wants to pay full price for something like that.

All the metaphysical cráp that honeric01 is spewing is just a way to rationalize away the ugly underbelly of his faith. "Because women receive, that's why they must be virgins and men don't." "Its because women are vessels, we're not a bunch of sexist hypocrites at all".
So virginity is the scale to weigh the value of a woman? What about the quality of training she obtain? What about the amount wisdom she is endowed with? Meanwhile your name is too scary can you please change it shocked cry
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by novicali: 1:20pm On Nov 24, 2013
Evil Brain: If you read the bible and the Koran. you'll see that women ate eessentially property for men's use and enjoyment. A woman who is not a virgin is just like a second hand car, she is damaged goods with reduced value and nobody wants to pay full price for something like that.

So virginity is the scale to weigh the value of a woman? What about the quality of training she obtained? What about the amount wisdom she is endowed with? Meanwhile your name is too scary can you please change it shocked cry
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by EvilBrain1(m): 1:00am On Nov 25, 2013
novicali: So virginity is the scale to weigh the value of a woman? What about the quality of training she obtained? What about the amount wisdom she is endowed with? Meanwhile your name is too scary can you please change it shocked cry

According to the bible, the value of a woman is absolutely determined by her virginity. It even goes as far as putting a price (50 shekels of silver) on it. The bible treats ráping a virgin without her father's permission as a tort issue, not a criminal one. Once you compensate the dad with his 50 shekels and marry the now worthless girl, the whole issue is settled regardless of what the victim wants.

If you have a problem with this, you should take it up with god or your pastor. I'm not a Christian so, don't complain to me. I didn't write the bible and I don't subscribe to its twisted morality.

Also, I like my name the way it is. I'm not changing it for anybody.
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by NativeBoy: 3:57am On Nov 25, 2013
Virginity is not more important for weapon. The commandment against fornication is not just for women alone but for men as well. Now there is emphasis on the woman only because of what the concept of marriage represents.

Our god-given institution of marriage is a reflection of the symbiotic relationship between the father, the son, and the holy spirit. The bride is the object of affection; the bride is the prize; the bride is what the marriage is all about. It is only for this reason that the woman is admonished to keep herself pure. It shows that she is worthy of all affection and honor, that she honors the bridegroom.

It is interesting to note that Revelations tells us that Jesus is returning for his chaste virgin bride (speaking about the Church). Just as Israel is the bride of God the Father, the Church is the bride of Christ. Just as Godhead is faithful and pure, so also should the bride the faithful and pure.

There's so much so say on this topic but you will find that scripture is filled with this type of parallelism between the purity between a man and a woman up until marriage and the faithfulness and purity between man and God.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by CyrusLevi(m): 6:37am On Nov 25, 2013
check my answer below.

Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by novicali: 7:02am On Nov 25, 2013
Evil Brain:

According to the bible, the value of a woman is absolutely determined by her virginity. It even goes as far as putting a price (50 shekels of silver) on it. The bible treats ráping a virgin without her father's permission as a tort issue, not a criminal one. Once you compensate the dad with his 50 shekels and marry the now worthless girl, the whole issue is settled regardless of what the victim wants.

If you have a problem with this, you should take it up with god or your pastor. I'm not a Christian so, don't complain to me. I didn't write the bible and I don't subscribe to its twisted morality.

Also, I like my name the way it is. I'm not changing it for anybody.
I believe you have an excellent idea.. though I don't want to stretch it more, cos it is a little away from the main issue here. However, how come you are proffering a solution and that solution you don't believe in it? it is either you are a liar or a pretender. I see the name you have taken is really working in you.
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by ow11(m): 5:48pm On Nov 25, 2013
honeric01: The body of a woman represent alot and is a symbol, a woman who has had too many sex/partners is always seen as an unpure/slut unlike men.

Remember that women take in but men don't. women receive and the more men you sleep with, the more "good/bad/rubbish" you take into your body.

Women are vessel carrier, men are not.

Women represent life in numerous ways.

A virgin woman is seen as someone who's still pure physically, mentally, sexually and medically unlike her counterpart.

Dunno if these statements make sense. embarassed

Actually they do not. I prefer to believe the theory that virginity has a cultural context and was used by men in many cultures in the past to confirm that the children born after intercourse are actually theirs and no one else's.

That cultural reason is thousands of years old and that is that. All the issues you raised are fairly modern reasons to justify the insistence or preference to marry/date a virgin. This will continue until such a time that intercourse is viewed in the same light like shaking hands, hugging or kissing. Till then, all women would have to conform to societal norms or risk being ostracized.
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by honeric01(m): 11:20am On Nov 26, 2013
ow11:

Actually they do not. I prefer to believe the theory that virginity has a cultural context and was used by men in many cultures in the past to confirm that the children born after intercourse are actually theirs and no one else's.

That cultural reason is thousands of years old and that is that. All the issues you raised are fairly modern reasons to justify the insistence or preference to marry/date a virgin. This will continue until such a time that intercourse is viewed in the same light like shaking hands, hugging or kissing. Till then, all women would have to conform to societal norms or risk being ostracized.

If this happens, then that's the end of romance.
Re: Why Is It That The Virginity Of Women Matters So Much Than That Of Men? by ow11(m): 3:20pm On Nov 28, 2013
honeric01:

If this happens, then that's the end of romance.

Well, Romance would just have to take up a new definition and all will be well.

(1) (Reply)

Was There A World Before Adam Was Created? / Tunde Bakare's Moment Of Truth Stopped Abruptly On Order From Above? / Abomination Called Chrislam Is Taking Hold.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.