Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,819 members, 7,938,417 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 04:53 AM

Who Decides The Name Of A Baby(baby Father Or Grandfather) Muslim Yoruba Culture - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Decides The Name Of A Baby(baby Father Or Grandfather) Muslim Yoruba Culture (616 Views)

Who Decides The Style Or Position? / A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? / Who Decides What Food To Eat In Your Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Decides The Name Of A Baby(baby Father Or Grandfather) Muslim Yoruba Culture by babaeko1: 11:40am On Nov 27, 2013
Hi All,

I am curious to know who actually names a baby, the father of the baby or the grand father ? What role do they play and how does it work out?
I was always under the impression that the father names his child, and then will ask grand parents from the bride and groom side what names they had like for the child.

I am referring to muslim yoruba culture to be precise.

Thanks in advance..
Re: Who Decides The Name Of A Baby(baby Father Or Grandfather) Muslim Yoruba Culture by mashaun(m): 1:53pm On Nov 27, 2013
Responsibility of giving a name to a child primarily rests with the father in agreement with the mother which might be decided even before the child is born

giving that duty to grandfather is just a tradition of respecting one's parents,it is not compulsory.

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING!! Woman Finds Out She Was Abducted By Father On Facebook / A Princess' Predicament. Your Advice, Pease. / Few Weeks To Wedding, Young Lady Jumps Down From Speeding Vehicle And Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.