Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,038 members, 7,919,282 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 06:04 AM

Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 (3249 Views)

Ambode Tweets About A Road Construction Completed In Lagos / Laolu Akande Asks Nigerians To Name Road Projects Completed In Last 10 Years / Abuja-kaduna Rail Line Will Be Completed And Handed Over In December (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by RareDiamond: 7:37pm On Nov 30, 2013
Tara Agro to Transform Adani into Regional Hub for Rice Production

11 Nov 2013

By Raheem Akingbolu

With works nearing completion on the ultra-modern Tara Agro rice processing mill, the agrarian Adani Community in Uzo Uwani Local Government Area of Enugu State, is on the threshold of transformation from largely subsistence agriculture into a commercial hub for agribusiness and rice production.

According to a statement issued in Lagos at the weekend, it was stated that the 42,000 tonnes Tara Agro mill, which will be the biggest rice processing mill in South East Nigeria, is expected to be completed by January 2014.

The statement further stated that the mill, which is a private sector investment, is being built by Tara Agro Industries Limited, owners of the Ebony Agro rice processing mill in Ikwo in Ebonyi State, and the producers of International quality rice brands namely Ebony Super and Ebony Gold. Larger than the Ebony Agro mill, the Tara Agro mill is also said to be fully integrated to produce, package, grade and export quality brands of rice-under a new Brand-Queen of the Niger.

An impact investment, Tara Agro mill is being set up to process locally sourced paddy rice from small holder farmers in Adani Community into parboiled polished rice of international quality. When it begins operation, the mill will raise demand for paddy, and is projected to increase the acreage of rice cultivation from 1,400 hectares one-crop per year in Adani to about 5,000 hectares of three crops per year cycle, thereby expanding the number of financially viable primary producers.

It will also provide supply to meet the growing national demand for high quality rice. Over 5,000 direct and indirect employments will be created in the community. These factors combined will raise household incomes in Adani Community, creating sustainable wealth for the people.
Chairman, Tara Agro Industries Limited, Mr. Charles Ugwuh, said, “Our increased investment in rice production is a testament to our firm commitment to the growth, development and proper coordination of rice production and processing value chain in Nigeria. The choice of Adani rice producing community as the location of the Tara Agro rice mill is as a result of our commitment to building an empowering rice value chain from which small holder farmers can reap social/ economic benefits.

“We are committed to fostering a value chain with shared economic, social and environmental values in which producers, buyers, processors, and others collaborate to create value. It is our belief that this will accelerate the transformation of small holder farmers from subsistence levels into commercially viable enterprises.”

According to Ugwuh, Tara Agro will unlock the huge economic potential of Adani Community by bridging the existing rice processing gap, and by dividing the usually combined functions of producer/processor/seller assumed by thousands of small holder farmers in a way that is most efficient and beneficial to the value chain.

“Tara Agro mill will enhance the productivity of thousands of subsistence farmers through paddy off-take agreements, and by fostering the emergence of input suppliers, storage and logistics providers, as well as technical support, credit and market linkages, among others, which were formerly non-existent on the rice value chain in Adani.”

Project Director, Tara Agro rice processing mill, Mr. Reuben Malcolm, said, “The huge investment in the new rice processing mill in Adani is a courageous one born of patriotic zeal, and commitment by its promoters to the growth and development of the Nigerian economy, in spite of the evident infrastructure deficit in Uzo Awani Local Government Area. The mill site is not connected to the national grid, and the construction of the factory has been wholly dependent on the use of heavy duty generators procured for that purpose.”

Malcolm urged the State and federal government to fast track development of infrastructure such as roads, standard bridges, power supply, storage facilities as well as rectification of the broken down Adani irrigation system, if the potential of Uzo Awani as the leading staple crop processing centre of the South East must be unleashed.

He also called for the state government’s intervention in promoting mechanised farming, agricultural extension services and ensuring access to credit by farmers’ co-operative societies to create an enabling operating environment for private sector players like Tara Agro.

Investment in the Tara Agro integrated rice mill by the promoters of Ebony Agro Industries Limited aligns with the Federal Government’s current policy focus of re-diversifying the economy and re-positioning the agricultural sector to play the lead role in economic development.

Once it is operational, the mill will further boost the quantity and quality of rice production in the country, revitalise and harness the enormous potentials of the developing rice sub- sector to create food security, stimulate job creation, and wealth creation for farmers.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/tara-agro-to-transform-adani-into-regional-hub-for-rice-production/163931/

1 Like

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by RareDiamond: 7:47pm On Nov 30, 2013
Nice development
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 30, 2013
Great news. Those who were wondering what states and FG can do to promote job creation should read the OP slowly.

6 Likes

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by ikweremilitant: 8:18pm On Nov 30, 2013
Rare Diamond: Nice development
south east has beng working,haters re developing migrain headache

2 Likes

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by ikweremilitant: 8:24pm On Nov 30, 2013
Rare Diamond: Nice development
u hear it.purely private indegnus driven.nt those dat run to white men to open biscuit nd ogogoro factories wil be beatng dia cheast as acheivment.no tribe in nija has done wat d ibo re doing.una weldone ndi igbo

11 Likes

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by kmariko: 8:57pm On Nov 30, 2013
Thats a very fantastic news. Hopefully the smart ones will find a way to make use of the opportunity presented.

By the way any news on the rumored Lafarge cement factory.
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by taharqa: 9:54pm On Nov 30, 2013
This is very, very, very Good news....... These are the kinds of things I want to keep hearing. REAL DEVELOPMENT.

...And this wud make it at least 14 Rice Mills that hae Opened iin Nigeria in the last 3 years!!!

Kudos..

4 Likes

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by oilykid(m): 9:59pm On Nov 30, 2013
Enugu again angry angry angry
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by oilykid(m): 10:06pm On Nov 30, 2013
kudos to chime for his silent transformation in o42.. angry angry angry
repin 042 to d fullest angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by joeluv: 10:07pm On Nov 30, 2013
very good development
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by Nobody: 10:25pm On Nov 30, 2013
Slowly but steadily, we'll get there. With the int'l Airport picking up, Enugu is no doubt the next big thing in the east. chukwu gozie Alaigbo cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by Onyejiuwaokoh: 10:34pm On Nov 30, 2013
Nice development if it is true because our Governments have deviced a new method of media propaganda. I pass through Imo state to see the African tallest building Gov. Okorocha built but i did not see anything. I pass through Onitsha to see the sea port our president went to commission last year but i did not see anything there. I entered Aba to see the massive road construction being advertizes by T.A Orji but i nearly lost my car to the pit(roads) all over there. God will save us from these gabbers. But i still trust Chime for he is a silent achiever.
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by Kponkwem(m): 10:36pm On Nov 30, 2013
Good news. Enugu is blessed!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by Nonybb: 10:38pm On Nov 30, 2013
The type of kids invading this Nairaland amazes me sometimes. People talk as if Nigeria is THREE in number. Wat stvpid
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by collynzo2(m): 10:42pm On Nov 30, 2013
Nonybb: The type of kids invading this Nairaland amazes me sometimes. People talk as if Nigeria is THREE in number. Wat stvpid
The competitions is good. Maybe that is what will finally lead Nigeria to development.
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by Nobody: 11:28pm On Nov 30, 2013
I served in Enugu. Anyone one who says the Southeast cannot be almost self-sufficient in agriculture should be brought to me to stomp on his balls.
What the Southeast needs is correct farm practices: mechanized farming and innovative irriagation and farming techniques. That is what Isreal is doing. The last generation focused too much on trade. It is time for u guys to diversify. Enter fully into agriculture and manufacturing. There are somethings that shouldnt be imported anymore.
Industrial areas should be created and power should provided for such areas as a priority such that big companies will be sited there and employment can be created and revenue can be generated through taxation also.
These things can be done. If only someone with the will of Chime can focus on industries just as much as housing, a lot can be done. Surely, Nigeria is getting there.

2 Likes

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by Nightshift(m): 12:38am On Dec 01, 2013
As a very very proud nwa Enugu, the signs i saw recently in the Coal City state shows me that the great lion is gradually waking up from its slumber. Driving along Enugu - Abakaliki road at Emene, i saw dozens of new warehouses and factories springing up on the two sides of the road.
Next year, the new aluminum coil factory from Alo Aluminum (my homeboy), will start production at its multi- billion Naira facility near Innoson's plastic company. Big farm settlements are also coming up in Agwu and Uzo Uwani areas. Huge limestone deposit at Amechi-Idodo is equally waiting for investors. Packaging and exportation of our highly acclaimed organic cashew nuts will be the next big bang.
From 9th mile to Emene, Agwu to Uzo-Uwani and Isi Uzo, the future of my green state is bright. As i often say ' Enugu Akwulugo!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by IGBOSON1: 1:58am On Dec 01, 2013
I'm happy for Enugu state! The strides we're witnessing now are as a result of the state gov'ts efforts in creating an enabling environment for businesses to be attracted to the state. I'm aware that Enugu state isn't as 'rich' as some other states in the region, yet one can see there's a well thought out strategy to focus the states scarce resources in certain key areas that would in the long run have a multiplier effect on the states economy; especially with regards to attracting businesses, industries and employment.

With the commencement of full int'l flight operations from AIIAs spanking new terminal-2 next year, and the expectation of improvement in power supply, i think it's safe to say Enugu is ready for take off!

3 Likes

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by Nobody: 7:54am On Dec 01, 2013
Let's just hope these development and investment strides increase in geometric progression.

1 Like

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by asha80(m): 7:59am On Dec 01, 2013
as far it mr charles ugwu i am confident in this venture...the ebony rice he built in ebonyi is a testament to this.
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by Ozonna(m): 9:38am On Dec 01, 2013
This is good news especially for the poor farmers. This company will now mop up excess rice produced.

I was told that rice Farmers didn't make much profit this year in Adani cos of so much supply from the farmers. Last year, a bag of freshly harvested rice (300kg) was sold for btw 8k - 9k but this same 300kg is now being sold for btw 4k - 6k. There are rice mills there but all na local rice mills and they're using local/archaic ways of processing.

So now with the coming of this company, rice farmers in that community go hammer. Infact more people will go into rice farming because there's an already market.

1 Like

Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by taharqa: 10:01am On Dec 01, 2013
Onyejiuwa okoh: Nice development if it is true because our Governments have deviced a new method of media propaganda. I pass through Imo state to see the African tallest building Gov. Okorocha built but i did not see anything. I pass through Onitsha to see the sea port our president went to commission last year but i did not see anything there. I entered Aba to see the massive road construction being advertizes by T.A Orji but i nearly lost my car to the pit(roads) all over there. God will save us from these gabbers. But i still trust Chime for he is a silent achiever.

Bros, you say kini?? Hope your eyes no dey play tricks on you o...

..By the way, it is a River Port, not a Seaport
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by IGBOSON1: 11:57am On Dec 01, 2013
The attached video gives an idea of what the rice mill will look like. It's owned by Wicklow Group and presently has an installed capacity of 30,000 tons with projections of reaching a peak of 150,000 tons by 2018.

Tara Agro should also look into the possibility of buying unprocessed rice from outside the state which they can process for export once local demand is met......they should have big plans to expand into foreign markets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZjUHzqxJI
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by Nobody: 12:39pm On Dec 01, 2013
taharqa:

Bros, you say kini?? Hope your eyes no dey play tricks on you o...

..By the way, it is a River Port, not a Seaport

A beg, what do you know about the rumoured plans to reduce tarrif of imported rice again? I just hope it's not true because that will slow or nullify the gains made so far in boosting local rice milling capacity.
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by LordNaya: 6:02pm On Dec 01, 2013
Enugu should keep it up
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by basilo101: 11:53pm On Dec 01, 2013
Front page pleaseee
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by taharqa: 2:06pm On Dec 02, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
A beg, what do you know about the rumoured plans to reduce tarrif of imported rice again? I just hope it's not true because that will slow or nullify the gains made so far in boosting local rice milling capacity.

Don't know much, guy... I just read that some people were planning to reduce the tariff somewhat
Re: Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 by taharqa: 9:54pm On Dec 02, 2013
IGBO-SON:
The attached video gives an idea of what the rice mill will look like. It's owned by Wicklow Group and presently has an installed capacity of 30,000 tons with projections of reaching a peak of 150,000 tons by 2018.

Tara Agro should also look into the possibility of buying unprocessed rice from outside the state which they can process for export once local demand is met......they should have big plans to expand into foreign markets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZjUHzqxJI
This is a different Rice Mill that also opened recently in Kwara. I assumed it was a Vid of this very Enugu Plant till I watched it.... Kudos to those people seeing d Opening Opportunities and taking advantage of it

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan's Train Revolution Transforming Nigerian Landscape / How Nyako Beat Security, Escaped To Britain / Local Governments And Wards Where Elections Will Take Place In IMO State On 25th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.