Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,548 members, 7,951,282 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 01:39 PM

We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! (1399 Views)

Amaechi’s Screening: Saraki, APC Betrayed Us – PDP Senators / We Planned To Invade Lagos - Arrested Boko Haram Leader Muhammed Sulaiman / Senator Slams Ibb Over Attack On Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by citizenisb: 4:51am On Dec 01, 2013
http://www.punchng.com/news/abacha-betrayed-our-plot-to-topple-babangida-install-abiola-col-umar/

When I was appointed a military governor in 1985 by the Ibrahim Babangida administration, he told me that if I found anything wrong, I should not hesitate to let him know. So, when he announced the transition-to-civil rule programme, I counselled that he should ensure that the date he fixed was sacrosanct, the date should not be changed under any circumstance. Soon after the announcement in January 1986, things started unfolding. To cut the long story short, by 1992, the primaries were about to be annulled, I wrote a letter to IBB that the election was losing credibility, that there was the need to hurry up and handover.

By December 1992, at the Chief of Army Staff Conference, I raised the issue under other matters that since we were being embarrassed, there was the need to conclude the transition programme. Gen. Sani Abacha asked me to see him in his house. I went to Abacha’s house in company of the current National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki. What General Abacha told me then was that they were all eager to see that power was handed over to civilian administration but it looked like IBB was dilly-dallying, that he didn’t want to go. But what I discovered later was that that was not correct.

Anyway, we moved to the June 12 election. When the primaries of the two parties(National Republican Convention and Social Democratic Party) that was created by IBB held, and Moshood Abiola and Bashir Tofa emerged candidates, I kept putting pressure on IBB to conclude the transition and hand over but Abacha kept telling me that IBB was not committed to the election and that we should keep putting pressure on him. I kept going to IBB and he kept assuring me he was on course.
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by citizenisb: 4:53am On Dec 01, 2013
About two weeks to the election, IBB called to say that some military boys were putting pressure on him not to hand over because the Structural Adjustment Programme had not achieved results and Nigeria was in a precarious situation.

In the meantime, Abacha was saying if IBB did not hand over after the June 12 election, we should move against him, topple him and hand over to whoever wins the election.
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by citizenisb: 4:54am On Dec 01, 2013
The election was held, we realised Abiola was going to win, I dashed to Abuja, met with the chairman of the electoral commission. He told me he had received 22 states and it looked like Abiola was coasting home to victory. I pleaded with him to ensure that he announced the results. Abacha invited me. He told me that IBB would not allow the results to be announced.

He said we should go ahead, topple him and hand over to the winner. He sent me on a wild goose chase; he said I should get the army boys ready for any eventuality. Of course, I went round the country, we got our boys ready. What was agreed was that the person that would announce the overthrow of Babangida would announce the result of the elections and hand over to the winner. We got all the boys in all the regional headquarters ready. Abacha said he was going to call the GOCs to let them know that the military had decided to let the winner of the June 12 to take over.
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by citizenisb: 4:55am On Dec 01, 2013
On the eve of the coup, we went for a coordinating conference, all the boys were alerted. The conference had current NSA, Col Dasuki, Col Gwadabe among other officers to coordinate the last minute of the take-over. Gen. Abacha was to join us later but he failed to appear. An officer asked me which appointment I would like to take in the new government. I replied, ‘Which government? I was told that Abacha had decided to take over power for six months before handing over to Abiola. I told them that was a very dangerous development and that I would not partake in such a plan.

We reached a deadlock and I decided to go and confront Gen. Abacha. Around nine in the night, I went to Abacha’s house and I met him alone. I asked him why he changed the plan. I told him that the only reason I joined in the plot was to hand over to Abiola immediately. I told him that I knew that any coup against Babangida was like a suicide mission but I decided to join even at the cost of my life because I wanted Nigerians to know I was not part of the annulment that would plunge the country into crisis. I told him we should continue with our earlier plan. He said the problem was that Abiola could not control the country with all the problems. I told him that whatever happened I would not partake in a coup that would bring him to power.

While I was talking with him, Gen. Ahmed Abdulahi appeared. I told him that I was out of the plan. I left and radioed all those we put on the standby and told them that the coup plan had been terminated, that we were not going to continue. I told senior officers that Abacha was only trying to hoodwink us.

When that plot failed, Abacha and some other officers convinced IBB to step aside but that he should leave some trusted officers, to work with an interim government to stabilise the polity. That way, the coast was left free for Abacha to have his way.
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by citizenisb: 5:39am On Dec 01, 2013
Finally the truth is out!!
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by okosodo: 7:46am On Dec 01, 2013
citizenisb: Finally the truth is out!!
The truth is not out, dem neva talk finish
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by expertman(m): 8:55am On Dec 01, 2013
How I wish Abacha can raise up from the dead while I shot him with minimum of 800 bullets and die back. That guy is so devilish. Ur family will never have peace in jesus name. If u want the wrath of God on Abacha family kindly click like pls

2 Likes

Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by slimfit1(m): 9:04am On Dec 01, 2013
Abacha smart man after all.
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by funnyx(m): 9:09am On Dec 01, 2013
I've always known Col Umar to be disciplined, patriotic and honest so I'll believe his side of the story.
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by flobby57(m): 9:21am On Dec 01, 2013
am not surprised by col umar revelations about that evil Abacha its obvious he misled IBB cos he was desperate to rule and karma caught up with him he died in power its a big lesson for all desperados his family name is soiled forever in Nigeria polity Abacha in Nigeria is synonymous with evil and corruption BTW col Umar is one of the few core northerners that's uses logic and exposure to the betterment of Nigeria he was respected in the army then he was a colonel with General charisma in the army much more adored than the useless army Generals we had then long live col Umar
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by citizenisb: 10:20am On Dec 01, 2013
Nigeria will progress even if detractors keep on taking us back, God will avail.

Can you imagine IBB having the guts to want to come back as a civilian President.
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by Nobody: 11:15am On Dec 01, 2013
The Former Stakeholders in Nigeria are simply Gluttonious which is a trait of average African .... The Future are abound and promising .... !!!
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by citizenisb: 2:49pm On Dec 01, 2013
God will definitely prosper this country and we will be great again!!

1 Like

Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by talktrue1(m): 3:51pm On Dec 01, 2013
What role did Buhari play. All these confession about Abacha and Abiola cos thay are dead are fake. Tell us about the living
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 01, 2013
talk true: What role did Buhari play. All these confession about Abacha and Abiola cos thay are dead are fake. Tell us about the living
Buhari played no role because he was a prisoner in his own house that IBB put him. It seems your delluded self wouldn't mind putting Buhari in the chaos of 1993.

The question is: what role did David Mark play in scuttling democracy in 1993?
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by Nobody: 4:25pm On Dec 01, 2013
Conscience is an open wound healed by truth.

While this man has held his head high, the same cannot be said of Gen Buhari who has been overtaken by his quest for power. Buhari is now a proponent of sharia, religion and ethnicity. His parochial and dichotomous interest supercedes nationhood. We cannot vouch for his integrity again cos of his new- found friends.
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by citizenisb: 11:07pm On Dec 01, 2013
Abubakar Umar is very bold. I can still remember his coup against Abacha that was foiled and which led to his subsequent retirement from the Army (as a Fulani prince he could not be shot as was the standard treatment for commoners who perpetrated such acts).

May more stories like this about the deceptive acts of our leaders continue to be exposed.
Re: We Planned Coup To Topple IBB Over June 12, Abacha Betrayed Us- Col. Umar!! by Boss13: 3:17pm On Dec 02, 2013
Nonsense news

(1) (Reply)

Portuguese Company, Building Automated Animal Feed Mill For Atiku In Yola / Nigeria Air Force Alpha Jet Missing From The Radar. / Is This Truly Abubakar Shekau See The Picture Of The Dead Body Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.