Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,404 members, 7,932,334 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 03:15 AM

A Word On Cleaving To The Lord(1) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Word On Cleaving To The Lord(1) (453 Views)

A Short Word On How To Pray Right! / Read Daily RCCG Iopen Heavens And Inspirational Word On Faithdrivetoeternityblog / The Prophetic Word On The Final Destiny Of Nigeria By Junior De Souza (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Word On Cleaving To The Lord(1) by VLadipo: 10:19am On Dec 02, 2013
He exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord
(Acts 11:23)
A WORD ON CLEAVING TO THE LORD(1)

Barnabas exhorted the new believers that they should cleave to the Lord. Some are allowed to have a long season of joy on first believing, but God knows our hearts, and how soon we should be depending on our joy, and not on Christ. He is our object: joy is not our object. Do not let your joy lead you to forget the source of it. This joy is right and beautiful in its place; i am not saying a word against it-God forbid. But I warn you against resting in it. Do not lean on it for strength. There is danger of joy making you forget how dependent you are every moment.

Depend on Him: cleave to Him with purpose of heart. I have seen many Christians so full of joy that they thought there was no such thing as sin left. It is true, sin no longer remains on you; but the flesh is in you to the end. The old stock is there, and you will find that, if you are not watchful, if divine life is not cultivated in your hearts be looking at Christ and feeding on Him, it will be putting forth its bud. No good fruit comes off the old stock. It is the new that bears fruit to God.

But though the flesh is in you, do not be thinking of this, but think of Christ - cleave to Him; and may your souls be maintained in this truth, that Christ is your life and He the object of that life (Gal 2:20). As you grow in this knowledge of Him, a joy grows deeper than that of first conversion. I have known Christ between thirty and forty years, and I can say that I have ten thousand times more joy now than I had at first. It is a deeper, calmer joy. The water rushing down from a hill is beautiful to look at, and makes most noise; but you will find that the water that runs in the plain is deeper, calmer, more fructifying.

J.N Darby

Culled from The LORD is near daily devotional
www.dailydevotionalsonline.com

(1) (Reply)

Definition Of Christmas / "And What Will You Do In Heaven For Billions Of Years?" / Which Version Of You Are YOU?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.