Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,898 members, 7,980,142 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 06:52 AM

Madiba: An Opportunity Well Utilized - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Madiba: An Opportunity Well Utilized (415 Views)

Peter Okoye Cautions Paul For Giving The Public An Opportunity To Crucify Him / SHOCKING! See What Late Madiba's Step Daughter's Boyfriend Did To Her / Colourful Fashion Line Inspired By Nelson Mandela’s “madiba Shirt” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Madiba: An Opportunity Well Utilized by favouryemmy: 9:34pm On Dec 06, 2013
It's no longer news that Africa's greatest hero is gone. But what he lived for and his life achievement can never be forgotten. Born in 1918 to a South African chief, Madiba (meaning the reconciler) grew to become a very strong opposition to the White leadership of his country that continually oppressed his black countrymen. Several unarmed protesters were killed regularly. He decided to stand to the the government and was prepared to die. He however spent 27 years behind bars after being sentenced to life imprisonment.

He eventually became South Africa's president in 1994 and this presented him with the opportunity for retaliation. But not him. Instead, he decided to forgive his oppressors. In his words, “As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I
didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.” He not only forgave them he further took steps to unite his country. This man inspired the South African Rugby team (Springboks) to win the world cup in 1995 and the men's football team to win the African nations cup the next year. The black South Africans usually boycott the Springbok's games due to the oppression but leading by example, he changed that.
I wonder how South Africa would have been now had he not the pace through forgiveness. The resentment, I believe, would have reached extraordinary levels by now. That probably would have led to a civil wars, ethnic crisis, and the likes. He had the opportunity to unite his country and avert future crises and he used it well, served one term in office, set the platform for the country's development and handed over. He was very prudent in his thinking and actions. His actions were taken with the future in mind.

The name Nelson Mandela will never die. We need to imitate his special qualities. Adieu Madiba!

(1) (Reply)

Young Upcoming Actor/actress Needed For A New Tv Programme Show Call 08108212646 / G-realski Your Fast Rising Celebrity / Is There Anyone With Much Traffic On Blogger Blog Who Needs An Adsense Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.