Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,814 members, 7,872,707 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:22 PM

Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians (39644 Views)

40 Profitable Small Businesses In Nigeria Today / List OF 40 Profitable Small Scale Businesses In Nigeria You Can Start / 5 Profitable Small Business Ideas In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by danieee(m): 8:42pm On Dec 14, 2013
Thanks OP for this great info. God bless you.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by trendycubicle: 8:47pm On Dec 14, 2013
Nice
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by kolamilan(m): 8:50pm On Dec 14, 2013
nice info.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Enuels: 8:57pm On Dec 14, 2013
Cool...pls. make it fast...already getting goose bumps! Nuels.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by zonax(m): 9:03pm On Dec 14, 2013
Money comes by identifying a need, and working on providing a solution to the need.

2 Likes

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Trendy4gud(f): 9:11pm On Dec 14, 2013
Chai... I'm glued to this thread. Dear Op, I don become your follow follow. May God reward you. Loving you die.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by emmaliver(m): 9:12pm On Dec 14, 2013
Tolite22: DAY 1

Small Business Idea #1 - Primary and Secondary Education

Education is a very lucrative industry because it is a basic need for many people. Parents want the best for their children and know that education is the only way to guarantee their survival and success in the future. Even poor families in Nigeria are making huge sacrificies to send their children to school. For many of these people, education could be their only bridge out of poverty.

The problem is private schools in Nigeria are often too expensive and the quality of education in government-owned schools is too poor to make any useful impact. Is there really a way to provide primary and secondary education to millions of poor and middle class children in Nigeria and still make a profit?

It appears there is. In Ghana and Kenya, there is a trend of low-cost private primary schools targeted at children of low and middle income parents. For less than $1 (160 Naira) a day as school fees, both Omega Schools (Ghana) and Bridge International Schools (Kenya) provide school uniforms and lunch in addition to tuition. This sounded impossible to me the first time I stumbled on it. 160 Naira as school fees?

As I type these words, Omega and Bridge International schools have enrolled thousands of poor children in both countries and business is booming! I would be much surprised if these low-cost private school chains do not start up in Nigeria very soon. They are cheap to start and run, very profitable, target a large and ignored market (poor people) and, above all, they solve a very serious social problem.

Further reading
To find out more about how you can start something in the education business, I strongly recommend the following information-packed articles:

The business of Education in Africa – 7 lucrative opportunities you can exploit in this huge and growing market - http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/education-and-training/7-education-and-training-business-ideas-for-africans

$5 School Fees – How this private school makes money from teaching poor kids in Kenya - http://www.smallstarter.com/get-inspired/bridge-academies-kenya

Amazing! How this low-cost private school chain is educating poor children for profit in Ghana - http://www.smallstarter.com/get-inspired/omega-schools-ghana

What do you think about this small business idea? Let's ask, share and brainstorm. You'd be amazed at what we could come up with.

See you tomorrow with another interesting business idea! wink

it wont be easy to start up.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 9:14pm On Dec 14, 2013
Treasure103: Op thanks for this info. I have #500k and I live in Abuja. What business do u think I can do with that,renting shops here are so expensive,paying for any how shop may not work becos of demolition here and there. Thanks n waiting for your response.

Good question Treasure.

Unfortunately, recommending the right business idea for a person is not as easy as it seems. It largely depends on a number of factors such as:

1. The viability of the business in your area (some businesses may succeed in Lagos but fail miserably in Abuja). Trends, tastes and market demand are just a couple of reasons for this.

2. Your kind of person. Some businesses require aggressive and talented sales people. Others require patient, knowledgeable and analytical people. Some others require that you are open-minded, liberal and easily adaptable to change. Fortunately, there's only one person who knows you 'really' well. And that person is you.

In the end, you will have to be the one to make up your mind and decide on the business that makes the most sense for you (considering its viability and fit to your personality).

Why don't we first look at all the 10 small business ideas I have to share so you can have a wider selection to choose from?

Choosing the right business idea is not always easy. You will need to look inwards and think for yourself. In fact, I suggest you start making a short list of possible business you can start. You can share the list with me so I can 'criticize' them and share my thoughts with you.

In the mean time, I suggest you read the following articles. They will help to clear your head, guide you and point you in the right direction.

3+ Guaranteed ways to find profitable business ideas http://www.smallstarter.com/know-the-basics/choosing-your-buisness-idea/3-guaranteed-ways-to-find-profitable-business-ideas-in-africa

Five Sure ways to know if a business idea is right for you http://www.smallstarter.com/know-the-basics/choosing-your-buisness-idea/five-sure-ways-to-know-if-a-business-idea-is-right-for-you

I hope this helps... smiley
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 9:23pm On Dec 14, 2013
emmaliver: it wont be easy to start up.

If businesses were easy to start, we would all be billionaires by now. Abi? grin

Rich people and successful entrepreneurs have become celebrity figures because we acknowledge that making money is not easy at all.

'Difficulty' is part of life and business, my brother. Without it, we would never appreciate success!

1 Like

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 9:36pm On Dec 14, 2013
1mic_cza: Please Tolite can we chat?? Ma email is mimixlnt@gmail.com. If you are on bb, my pin's 217f42bd

I would really love to chat with you but I already made a promise at the beginning of this thread to have all discussions in the open. I wouldn't want to betray this promise. I hope you understand.

Please ask all your questions here on the thread and I will respond to the best of my knowledge and ability. This way more people will learn and be impacted.

I appreciate your understanding.

Thank you.

6 Likes

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by emmaliver(m): 9:46pm On Dec 14, 2013
Tolite22: DAY 3

Small Business Idea #3 - Human and Cargo Transport (by road)

Across the world, there are two major factors responsible for the growth of road transportation - a large/growing population and increasing economic activities.

Nigeria's population (currently at over 170 million) is the largest in Africa and is projected to grow to 250 million by 2040. According to a recent Reuters article (see link below), over 11,000 new children are born in Nigeria every single day. The larger the population, the higher the volume of physical human movement. People are always on the move - going to the office, school, business, market, recreation etc. (Sorry, I forgot to mention 'hustling').

Whether it's daily commute to work or long distance travel (such as interstate), the number of people moving around everyday in Nigeria is astounding! The number of motorcycles (although banned in several cities), taxi cabs and buses is increasing to cater to the growing demand for road transportation. This demand is so high that the government alone will be unable to handle the current and future levels. There is more than enough room for entrepreneurs and private businesses to 'help'.

Although GDP (Gross Domestic Product) is the usual way to measure the size of a country's economy, I personally do not think that it makes any sense to the common man. So, how can you visibly notice the fast rising level of economic activities in Nigeria? I like to look at the number of haulage trucks carrying goods within and outside Lagos. Agricultural products, imported goods from Apapa ports, construction materials (wood, steel rods, sand, cemnet blocks and aggregate), food, petroleum products and several other goods that are transported across Nigeria everyday are a huge and growing opportunity for entrepreneurs to enter the business of transporting goods across Nigeria.

Road transport is the cheapest and easiest way to enter the transport business in Nigeria. All the other options are not ripe for the picking for various reasons: Air transport is capital intensive and out of reach for many (small scale) entrepreneurs. Water transport is picking up but is still a poorly developed means of transportation in Nigeria. Rail? Let's not even go there.

On a final note, I have the following advice for anyone who fancies the road transport business in Nigeria:

- The transport business is not as capital intensive as many people think. Start with one motorcycle, one taxi, one bus or one truck. Start small but dream big.
- Devise a win-win strategy that will help to keep your drivers in check (drivers are crucial to the success of any road transport business and can make or wreck it!)
- You can either hire a driver and pay him a daily/weekly/monthly salary or you could ask for a minimum return at the end of every day.
- Hire/Purchase Agreements seem to work as the best arrangement between vehicle owners and drivers
- If you can afford it, install a tracking device/equipment on your vehicles. It's usually worth the investment.
- Vehicle insurance and regular maintenance are some of the most important aspects of the road transport business that are often taken for granted. Don't make the same mistake.
- Police, FRSC and all sorts of federal, state and local government revenue-collecting agencies can frustrate your road transport business. Make sure you get all the necessary permits, tickets and licenses.

To find more information about human and cargo transportation, I would recommend that you read the following articles:

Moving people around - 5 Profitable businesses you can start to solve Africa’s human transportation problems http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/transport-and-logistics/human-transport-business-in-africa

Trucking and Haulage: How to make money from Africa’s large and expanding transport market http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/transport-and-logistics/trucking-and-haulage

Reuters Article - Will Nigerian boom babies feed prosperity or entrench poverty? http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/09/us-africa-summit-population-idUSBRE9380DH20130409

I hope you found this small business idea useful and informative. Any thoughts or suggestions? Please share...

See you tomorrow! cool

Across the world, there are two major factors responsible for the growth of road transportation - a large/growing population and increasing economic activities.

Nigeria's population (currently at over 170 million) is the largest in Africa and is projected to grow to 250 million by 2040. According to a recent Reuters article (see link below), over 11,000 new children are born in Nigeria every single day. The larger the population, the higher the volume of physical human movement. People are always on the move - going to the office, school, business, market, recreation etc. (Sorry, I forgot to mention 'hustling').

Whether it's daily commute to work or long distance travel (such as interstate), the number of people moving around everyday in Nigeria is astounding! The number of motorcycles (although banned in several cities), taxi cabs and buses is increasing to cater to the growing demand for road transportation. This demand is so high that the government alone will be unable to handle the current and future levels. There is more than enough room for entrepreneurs and private businesses to 'help'.

Although GDP (Gross Domestic Product) is the usual way to measure the size of a country's economy, I personally do not think that it makes any sense to the common man. So, how can you visibly notice the fast rising level of economic activities in Nigeria? I like to look at the number of haulage trucks carrying goods within and outside Lagos. Agricultural products, imported goods from Apapa ports, construction materials (wood, steel rods, sand, cemnet blocks and aggregate), food, petroleum products and several other goods that are transported across Nigeria everyday are a huge and growing opportunity for entrepreneurs to enter the business of transporting goods across Nigeria.

Road transport is the cheapest and easiest way to enter the transport business in Nigeria. All the other options are not ripe for the picking for various reasons: Air transport is capital intensive and out of reach for many (small scale) entrepreneurs. Water transport is picking up but is still a poorly developed means of transportation in Nigeria. Rail? Let's not even go there.

On a final note, I have the following advice for anyone who fancies the road transport business in Nigeria:

- The transport business is not as capital intensive as many people think. Start with one motorcycle, one taxi, one bus or one truck. Start small but dream big.
- Devise a win-win strategy that will help to keep your drivers in check (drivers are crucial to the success of any road transport business and can make or wreck it!)
- You can either hire a driver and pay him a daily/weekly/monthly salary or you could ask for a minimum return at the end of every day.
- Hire/Purchase Agreements seem to work as the best arrangement between vehicle owners and drivers
- If you can afford it, install a tracking device/equipment on your vehicles. It's usually worth the investment.
- Vehicle insurance and regular maintenance are some of the most important aspects of the road transport business that are often taken for granted. Don't make the same mistake.
- Police, FRSC and all sorts of federal, state and local government revenue-collecting agencies can frustrate your road transport business. Make sure you get all the necessary permits, tickets and licenses.

To find more information about human and cargo transportation, I would recommend that you read the following articles:

Moving people around - 5 Profitable businesses you can start to solve Africa’s human transportation problems http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/transport-and-logistics/human-transport-business-in-africa

Trucking and Haulage: How to make money from Africa’s large and expanding transport market http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/transport-and-logistics/trucking-and-haulage

Reuters Article - Will Nigerian boom babies feed prosperity or entrench poverty? http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/09/us-africa-summit-population-idUSBRE9380DH20130409

I hope you found this small business idea useful and informative. Any thoughts or suggestions? Please share...

See you tomorrow! cool

Reuters Article - Will Nigerian boom babies feed prosperity or entrench poverty? http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/09/us-africa-summit-population-idUSBRE9380DH2013040o9

I hope you found this small business idea useful and informative. Any thoughts or suggestions? Please share... lp

See you tomorrow! cool
plz
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by emmaliver(m): 9:48pm On Dec 14, 2013
plz tell me about installling d trackin device
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by yusufu16: 9:53pm On Dec 14, 2013
@Tolite22
God will bless you for creating this thread.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by dekins: 9:57pm On Dec 14, 2013
Timely and nice post
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 10:06pm On Dec 14, 2013
emmaliver: plz tell me about installling d trackin device

I suggest you visit the Adata C-Track website ( http://www.adatactrackng.com/ ) to learn everything there is to car tracking in Nigeria. Adata is one of MTN's partners in providing vehicle tracking solutions.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Rexious(m): 10:15pm On Dec 14, 2013
@OP, a very big thank you for ur effort in helping ur people. These are very good business ideas considering d fact that u do not only list them but gives ur expert opinion and as well give links to materials that are helpful to potential entrepreneurs who have interest in these areas. Please, I want u to help me with information about RECHARGE CARDS PRINTING BUSINESS. Possible start-up capital, dealers where logical pins can be bought from, machineries n equipment and any other info that u deem necessary for the business to thrives. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by dvdami(m): 10:23pm On Dec 14, 2013
popoboy:

Op you must have a special eye to see people like me reading silently. Just wanted to encourage you to keep up the gud work. Maybe i may see an interesting business idea to tap into since am resigning from this silly job by Jan.

Seems we are in d same ship. Also resigning frm ds silly job by Jan. Can we share some thoughts together? I hav sent u a PM.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Khodry(m): 10:41pm On Dec 14, 2013
@ op kudos, u're really doing a great job.More power to ur elbow n may GOD reward u abundantly(ameen).....On d item 2 u mention;cassava farming for food n starch, i luv it.I developed interest back in my days in a rural area in ogun state where it on d rise.If u could be of help,i will appreciate a comprehensive buz proposal on it or any buz to serve as a guide as am working on one already!
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by macklef(m): 11:01pm On Dec 14, 2013
Tolite22:

Brilliant question! I should have said something about this when I started this thread.

Technically, small businesses are defined by their size (number of employees). Typically, any business that has between 1 (self-employed) and 50 employees qualifies to be called a small business.

However, you and I know that there are one-man 'briefcase' businesses in Nigeria that control billions of naira. As a result, personally, I think the term is very subjective. A business with N500k in startup capital may seem like a big business to you but to a bank manager or oil worker, it's just small.

I thought I should answer the question from both technical and 'real life' perspectives so you get the full picture.

I hope this explanation helps?? smiley

to me technically or otherwise the term small business have been abused, esp with ur 1st two ideas, we talking about making people survive not make the rich richer, any biz way way below 500k is a small bizness can a orphan,dropout/undergraduate find this feasible? urs are well over 500k what about land? Ur more into medium business. Well lets wait till ur thru, but whichever way i give u kudos,
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tompeters(m): 11:05pm On Dec 14, 2013
Please @tolite wat bout this mini importation biz. WAT DO U THINK ABOUT ITPlease @tolite wat bout this mini importation biz. WAT DO U THINK ABOUT ITPlease @tolite wat bout this mini importation biz. WAT DO U THINK ABOUT IT
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by macklef(m): 11:10pm On Dec 14, 2013
Tolite22:

Brilliant question! I should have said something about this when I started this thread.

Technically, small businesses are defined by their size (number of employees). Typically, any business that has between 1 (self-employed) and 50 employees qualifies to be called a small business.

However, you and I know that there are one-man 'briefcase' businesses in Nigeria that control billions of naira. As a result, personally, I think the term is very subjective. A business with N500k in startup capital may seem like a big business to you but to a bank manager or oil worker, it's just small.

I thought I should answer the question from both technical and 'real life' perspectives so you get the full picture.

I hope this explanation helps?? smiley
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by fdigital(m): 11:31pm On Dec 14, 2013
Good post @op. people keep underestimating the wealth powers of agriculture. ~You will never know what it is till you what it is.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by osifred(m): 12:01am On Dec 15, 2013
Thread bookmarked
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by chucky234(m): 12:08am On Dec 15, 2013
Nice thread
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by haibee: 12:10am On Dec 15, 2013
Good job@OP........plz I'm highly interested in d cassava business aspect.it has been on my mind for a very long time now.I av about 500k I can spare.I also av access to som acres of land.please do u av an idea on how to start d business.....I was passing by a town in kwara_state,precisely ijagbo town,I saw hectares of land with cassava plantation under the control of federal govt roots and tuber production.can someone seek help from such establishments or ministry of agric in order to secure good and high turn out stems to plant?.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by groovie(m): 6:55am On Dec 15, 2013
dvdami:

Seems we are in d same ship. Also resigning frm ds silly job by Jan. Can we share some thoughts together? I hav sent u a PM.
hahaha! team resigning by jan. the job dey frustrate me die
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Raphtop(m): 7:17am On Dec 15, 2013
Subscribed
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by francababy(f): 7:46am On Dec 15, 2013
Treasure103: Op thanks for this info. I have #500k and I live in Abuja. What business do u think I can do with that,renting shops here are so expensive,paying for any how shop may not work becos of demolition here and there. Thanks n waiting for your response.
Since you are a lady, if you have any of beauty, fair skin, big booty or good breast, then you can start ashawo business. I heard it is very profitable in Abuja. You will not need up to N500k to start
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Nobody: 7:50am On Dec 15, 2013
francababy:
Since you are a lady, if you have any of beauty, fair skin, big booty or good breast, then you can start ashawo business. I heard it is very profitable in Abuja. You will not need up to N500k to start
see advice
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by erniok(m): 8:11am On Dec 15, 2013
francababy:
Since you are also a lady, why don't you apply your advice to yourself in your state of residence.

2 Likes

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by kentochi(m): 8:19am On Dec 15, 2013
Wow! This is a welcome solution come 2014 men what are we waiting for.
Getting with my big bag to start picking pure water waste for pls link me to company that i can supply to waiting for your respond?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate / What Business Can One Start With #10m? / How Do I Start An Oil And Gas Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.