Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,344 members, 7,881,266 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:33 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (1362) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3864199 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1359) (1360) (1361) (1362) (1363) (1364) (1365) ... (3873) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 9:09pm On May 29, 2019
Ishilove:

I don't know if the movie is for the Western audience because they will not notice the difference in supporting character's accent and that of the other African characters. I watched the trailer and instantly got pissed off by the guy's very fake Nigerian accent.
I always wonder if the casting director of one of the crew doesn't notice the difference or they just overlook it. Take GoT for example. Tyrion is American imitating a British accent. To a Brit, he does a quite good job even if they can notice it. Why can't we have something like that with African accents? They think we all speak English like South Africans and it annoys me.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 9:20pm On May 29, 2019
troubleseller:
I always wonder if the casting director of one of the crew doesn't notice the difference or they just overlook it. Take GoT for example. Tyrion is American imitating a British accent. To a Brit, he does a quite good job even if they can notice it. Why can't we have something like that with African accents? They think we all speak English like South Africans and it annoys me.
The problem is a lot of the producers have not taken time out to study the different kinds of accents in Africa. They haven't realised that East Africans speak differently for West Africans, and Southern Africans sound nothing like Western Africans. Why, even within the English speaking parts of the West here the accents are different. Gambians sound different from Ghanaians, while Sierra Leonians don't speak like Nigerians, Ghanaians or Gambians. Same applies for others in the West.

It's a perception thing. Deep down in their subconscious they still think Africa is a country and we speak with one tone.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 10:03pm On May 29, 2019
The Miseducation of Cameron Post
Is this like the next issue Hollywood wants to focus on? LGBTQJDHH people being sent to religious correction camps? First Boy Erased then this. Anyhow sha the movie was just there. Not that interesting
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyetpel(m): 10:31pm On May 29, 2019
troubleseller:
Nigerian Prince
First off the good bits:

Direction: No lies, the direction was good even too good for a Nigerian movie. I guess we might have been criticizing our movies without even watching them but the directing in this one was good. There was even a well done long take that I'm not sure I've ever seen in a Nigerian movie.

Editing: Professional.

Acting: Nothing spectacular but it served its purpose especially Baba and the guy from Australia.

Cinematography: Good enough. Scenes were well lit. Colour was good.

Story: If I was to rate the story alone, I would give it a 7.

The bad parts

Chemistry: There was no chemistry between the two main characters to suggest the type of relationship they had.

Writing: This is the main problem we have with our movies. This one especially was littered with expressions only Americans or whites would use. Our writers need to know the lingo suitable for a movie.

Makeup: Especially where characters were bloodied. We really need to learn makeup.

Overall, the movie was slightly above average though at some points it felt stretched but looking back at what used to be made and what is currently being made, it is clear we are trying to improve and I think it's a good thing.

Nigeria prince is not a Nollywood movie.

It's a film about Nigeria done by a Nigeria-American.

Heck its produced by Spike Lee.

Do we call The Boy who harnessed the wind a film by Malawi movie industry because the movie it is about Malawi?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by eazyhifii(m): 10:46pm On May 29, 2019
KoiceReloaded:
Guys, if you really wanna enjoy DC content, go straight to the horse's mouth and watch DC Universe' Doom Patrol and Titans. DC produced the shows themselves. Don't go near DC content aired through CW, they are bad news. CW have a long history of ruining good concepts, and they're never gonna stop.

Doom Patrol is one helluva show, and right now is the best superhero tv series I've seen since Marvel's Daredevil season 3.

Please don't tell me that's cyborg....
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by eazyhifii(m): 11:01pm On May 29, 2019
Shazam!!
3.4/10

Damn I cried, brothers and sisters please don't go near that shit. Where do I even start from, it felt like i watched indian power rangers.

Bad plot
CGI was so wack
The costume was so odd
Fight scenes was so booooring damn!!!

Dunno where all those rating on IMDb, Rotten tomatoes and the likes came from. If not for Zachary Levi (poor chuck) DC go spoil ma boy career.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by OlaBa: 11:24pm On May 29, 2019
eazyhifii:
Shazam!!
3.4/10

Damn I cried, brothers and sisters please don't go near that shit. Where do I even start from, it felt like i watched indian power rangers.

Bad plot
CGI was so wack
The costume was so odd

Dunno where all those rating on IMDb, Rotten tomatoes and the likes came from. If not for Zachary Levi (poor chuck) DC go spoil ma boy career.....

Didn't you hear? 100 of thousands of people were paid to positively review Shazam by DC. Not to worry though, DC has been caught by the "power that be" and appropriately banned from releasing movies for the next 50 years wink

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Eidris01(m): 12:12am On May 30, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

- Mad Max: Fury Road
- Mission Impossible: Fallout
- Alita: Battle Angel
- Hard Boiled
- The Raid: Redemption
- The Raid 2
- Night Comes for Us
- IP Man 1, 2 and 3
- IP Man Legacy
- John Wick Chapter 1, 2 and 3
- Jason Bourne franchise
- City of God
- Troy
- The Boondock Saints
- From Dawn Till Dusk
- Feast franchise
- Kickass 1&2
- 16 Blocks
- Dredd
- Non-Stop
- Wanted
- I, Robot
- Lethal Weapon 1&2
- They Live
- Sherlock Holmes 1&2
- Battle Royale
- Broken Arrow
- Con Air
- Kill Bill
- The Man from Nowhere
- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
- Matrix trilogy
hi, do you know where to download sherlock holmes 2011
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by noob03saibot(m): 2:47am On May 30, 2019
Bourne007:
I didn't download but streamed instead. Wasn't even aware it was connected until I saw Annabelle in the movie.

OK, thank you for the response
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by nani667: 2:55am On May 30, 2019
Latest addition to my animation collection ✔️

Came across loads of people hyping the animation on twitter recently... Hoping I shall not be disappointed

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sod09(m): 4:50am On May 30, 2019
eazyhifii:
Shazam!!
3.4/10

Bad plot
CGI was so wack
The costume was so odd

grin grin
You were warned init?
We told everyone the movie was so wack even kids will sleep off on it

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Mamman3300(m): 4:55am On May 30, 2019
Another movie u guys should try and have on your watchlist is Brightburn. It's a horror/thriller and the premise of the story is what if a being like Superman crashed on Earth but instead of being good he chose to be evil.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by MJBOLT: 6:29am On May 30, 2019
Warner Bros are known to bribe critics for positive reviews

eazyhifii:
Shazam!!
3.4/10

Bad plot
CGI was so wack
The costume was so odd

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by losprince(m): 7:41am On May 30, 2019
MJBOLT:
Warner Bros are known to bribe critics for positive reviews

Just as Disney likes to buy their own tickets to boost box office records.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by MJBOLT: 7:50am On May 30, 2019
and Warner Bros spent money in paying trolls to sabotage marvel movies

losprince:

Just as Disney likes to buy their own tickets to boost box office records.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Octopusssy(f): 7:54am On May 30, 2019
OlaBa:

Didn't you hear? 100 of thousands of people were paid to positively review Shazam by DC. Not to worry though, DC has been caught by the "power that be" and appropriately banned from releasing movies for the next 50 years wink
Tell me this is a joke...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Octopusssy(f): 7:57am On May 30, 2019
nani667:
Latest addition to my animation collection ✔️

Came across loads of people hyping the animation on twitter recently... Hoping I shall not be disappointed
You shall not
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 8:32am On May 30, 2019
CAPTAIN MARVEL...6/10
GENRE: Fantasy/Sci-fi

The movie was a pastiche of poorly written, one dimensional story, with a bit of uninspired action sprinkled here and there. Not even Samuel L. Jackson can pull this one out of the quicksand. The acting was extremely lackluster & they ruined the movie by making Captain Marvel extremely over powerful & as observed,she doesn't even have a weakness, hope they ain't doing to her character what DC did to Supes character.
Lack of consistency as well as the lack of character development was a major cog in its wheel of progress. Though, there were several enjoyable parts to the movie as a standalone , but they weren't enough to make it something spectacular.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 8:43am On May 30, 2019
Eidris01:
hi, do you know where to download sherlock holmes 2011

I stream.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 8:44am On May 30, 2019
eazyhifii:

Please don't tell me that's cyborg....
Yeah, it's Cyborg.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by losprince(m): 9:01am On May 30, 2019
MJBOLT:
and Warner Bros spent money in paying trolls to sabotage marvel movies

And Disney bribed the academy awards for black panther's best picture nomination.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by MJBOLT: 9:06am On May 30, 2019
and Black Panther is the greatest solo CBM in history - 98% on RT,$1.3B and 3 Oscars in one night

losprince:

And Disney brined the academy awards for black panther's best picture nomination.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by losprince(m): 9:15am On May 30, 2019
MJBOLT:
and Black Panther is the greatest solo CBM in history - 98% on RT,$1.3B and 3 Oscars in one night

That's right. grin grin no DC movie has acheived all that.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Eidris01(m): 9:33am On May 30, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

I stream.
at which site
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:08am On May 30, 2019
Eidris01:
at which site

Use this. I recommend O P E N L O A D links.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:03am On May 30, 2019
mekaprime:
CAPTAIN MARVEL...6/10
GENRE: Fantasy/Sci-fi

The movie was a pastiche of poorly written, one dimensional story, with a bit of uninspired action sprinkled here and there. Not even Samuel L. Jackson can pull this one out of the quicksand. The acting was extremely lackluster & they ruined the movie by making Captain Marvel extremely over powerful & as observed,she doesn't even have a weakness, hope they ain't doing to her character what DC did to Supes character.
Lack of consistency as well as the lack of character development was a major cog in its wheel of progress. Though, there were several enjoyable parts to the movie as a standalone , but they weren't enough to make it something spectacular.
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ibkayee(f): 11:19am On May 30, 2019
Ishilove:

The problem is a lot of the producers have not taken time out to study the different kinds of accents in Africa. They haven't realised that East Africans speak differently for West Africans, and Southern Africans sound nothing like Western Africans. Why, even within the English speaking parts of the West here the accents are different. Gambians sound different from Ghanaians, while Sierra Leonians don't speak like Nigerians, Ghanaians or Gambians. Same applies for others in the West.

It's a perception thing. Deep down in their subconscious they still think Africa is a country and we speak with one tone.
So irksome.

Have you seen or heard of the movie where Will Smith plays the Nigerian doctor ‘Bennet Omalu’, I couldn’t even finish the trailer because the accent was so off.

You can tell they didn’t even try, to them Africa is just one great big monolith with absolutely nothing setting us apart from each other lol.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 12:53pm On May 30, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebG4TO_xss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOC8sq5EAzk&t=176s

off topic, but i think you get the general idea

until we become a big enough market, or much more important in the scheme of things, no one is going to bother investing in getting the right African accents.

even trevor noah, a master of multiple accents doesn't bother getting african accents right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRQsMt9d_2w
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 1:38pm On May 30, 2019
Booksmart
Nice concept for a movie. Though I might have seen something like it before, this was also good. Since it's a comedy the cast was okay for the film. For a second I asked myself if Jonah Hill had a younger sister nobody knew about. Nice movie overall.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Eidris01(m): 1:50pm On May 30, 2019
troubleseller:
Booksmart
Who knows the website to stream 'journey to China' Jackie chan movie
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Itzneowizy(m): 2:06pm On May 30, 2019
hulk616:
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Oga that movie was abt average...

(1) (2) (3) ... (1359) (1360) (1361) (1362) (1363) (1364) (1365) ... (3873) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.