Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,010 members, 7,886,799 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 03:19 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (1482) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3874490 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1479) (1480) (1481) (1482) (1483) (1484) (1485) ... (3876) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 5:24pm On Jul 18, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Which is why Suits is ridiculous.

LOL. Okay.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 18, 2019
alexistaiwo:
And if the so called group of lawyers agree to make a secretary COO?

And for the record, Harvey didn't singlehandedly appoint her COO, she saw a power vacuum and made a play for partner knowing fully well the attempt will be knocked back and the board gave her the next best thing COO

You can make all excuses you can for that plot blunder, it still won't change the fact that making Donna a COO is a ludicrous writing.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 5:25pm On Jul 18, 2019
alexistaiwo:
And I used to think JeromeBlack and his crush are the most clueless people movie wise here, see Pa KoiceReloaded giving them both a good run for their money cry

LOL. Koice is very intelligent. One of the good heads I've encountered on this forum. It's just that, he's very opinionated and rarely backs down. Let's just let him win.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 18, 2019
Beorn1:

Who are these clear heads? Their employees? LMAO. grin grin

Everyone involved, including the person that suggested that notion in the first place.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 18, 2019
With all due respect.........

KoiceReloaded:

You can make all excuses you can for that plot blunder, it still won't change the fact that making Donna a COO is a ludicrous writing.

Beorn1:

LOL. Koice is very intelligent. One of the good heads I've encountered on this forum. It's just that, he's very opinionated and rarely backs down. Let's just let him win.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 5:27pm On Jul 18, 2019
Alexistaiwo aka clubmaster,

ARE YOU MAD? So, you couldn't even ask about my whereabouts? Your homie has been missing from this thread and you didn't even care.

Anyway, I have been busy planning for my Euro trip. I am going to Germany for the summer. You know how we spare parts dealers flex on travel. grin

By the way, Suits died the day Mike went to prison. Nonsense.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 5:27pm On Jul 18, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Everyone involved, including the person that suggested that notion in the first place.

LMAO. Your rebuttal makes for a good laugh. But let's move on. No need going in circle. cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 18, 2019
Beorn1:

That's the most backhanded compliment I've received in a while. I dunno whether to give you an e-slap or like your comment. angry
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 18, 2019
Someone been skipping his dosage cry

JeromeBlack:
Alexistaiwo aka clubmaster,

ARE YOU MAD? So, you couldn't even ask about my whereabouts? Your homie has been missing from this thread and you didn't even care.

Anyway, I have been busy planning for my Euro trip. I am going to Germany for the summer. You know how we spare parts dealers flex on travel. grin

By the way, Suits died the day Mike went to prison. Nonsense.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 5:30pm On Jul 18, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

That's the most backhanded compliment I've received in a while. I dunno whether to give you an e-slap or like your comment. angry

Instead of an e-slap, how about you send me a million bucks. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 5:32pm On Jul 18, 2019
alexistaiwo:
Someone been skipping his dosage cry

Bro, why are you like this? It seems the ban really affected you. You dont joke anymore. cry
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jul 18, 2019
Beorn1:

Instead of an e-slap, how about you send me a million bucks. grin
Sent. Check your bank account.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jul 18, 2019
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 18, 2019
What Is a Chief Operating Officer?
The chief operating officer (COO) is a senior executive tasked with overseeing the day-to-day administrative and operational functions of a business. The COO typically reports directly to the chief executive officer (CEO) and is considered to be second in the chain of command. In some corporations, the COO is known by other terms, such as "executive vice president of operations," "chief operations officer," or "operations director."

The Role of the COO
Depending on the CEO's preference, the COO often handles a company's internal affairs, while the CEO functions as the public face of the company, and thereby handles all outward-facing communication.

In many cases, a COO is specifically chosen to complement the skill sets of the sitting CEO. In an entrepreneurial situation, the COO often has more practical experience than the founding CEO, who may have come up with an excellent concept, but lacks the start-up know-how to launch a company and manage its early stages of development. Consequently, COOs often architect operations strategies, communicate policies to employees, and help human resources build out core teams.

[Important: Instead of having one or two skill sets, most successful COO have multi-faceted talents, enabling them to adapt to different tasks and solve a range of issues.]

Chief Operating Officer Duties & Responsibilities
The roles and responsibilities of the COO vary, depending not only on the organization for which they work but also on how that company defines the position. There isn't one agreed-upon list of what the job entails, and the role may also have different titles depending on the organization.

A COO may be hired to accomplish some or all of the following tasks or objectives:

Execute strategies developed by the top management team
Lead a specific strategic imperative
Show the ropes to an inexperienced CEO
Complement a CEO’s experience or management style
Provide a partner to a CEO who does not work well alone
Groom the organization’s next CEO or test the individual to make sure he or she is right for the job
Promote someone they don’t want to lose

Also, because they're traditionally responsible for directing multiple departments, COOs must be resourceful problem solvers and must possess strong leadership skills. Educationally, COOs typically minimally hold bachelor's degrees, while often also holding Master's in Business Administration (MBA) degrees and other certifications.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 5:34pm On Jul 18, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Sent. Check your bank account.
Waka there!!

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 5:37pm On Jul 18, 2019
ornicus:
The chief operating officer (COO) is a senior executive tasked with overseeing the day-to-day administrative and operational functions of a business. The COO typically reports directly to the chief executive officer (CEO) and is considered to be second in the chain of command. In some corporations, the COO is known by other terms, such as "executive vice president of operations," "chief operations officer," or "operations director."

The Role of the COO
Depending on the CEO's preference, the COO often handles a company's internal affairs, while the CEO functions as the public face of the company, and thereby handles all outward-facing communication.

In many cases, a COO is specifically chosen to complement the skill sets of the sitting CEO. In an entrepreneurial situation, the COO often has more practical experience than the founding CEO, who may have come up with an excellent concept, but lacks the start-up know-how to launch a company and manage its early stages of development. Consequently, COOs often architect operations strategies, communicate policies to employees, and help human resources build out core teams.

[Important: Instead of having one or two skill sets, most successful COO have multi-faceted talents, enabling them to adapt to different tasks and solve a range of issues.]

Therefore, a lawyer is best suited to be the COO of a Law firm as noted by the partners in suits
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 18, 2019
Beorn1:

Waka there!!

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jul 18, 2019
ornicus:

The Role of the COO

The roles and responsibilities of the COO vary, depending not only on the organization for which they work but also on how that company defines the position. There isn't one agreed-upon list of what the job entails, and the role may also have different titles depending on the organization.

A COO may be hired to accomplish some or all of the following tasks or objectives:

Groom the organization’s next CEO or test the individual to make sure he or she is right for the job

Also, because they're traditionally responsible for directing multiple departments, COOs must be resourceful problem solvers and must possess strong leadership skills. Educationally, COOs typically minimally hold bachelor's degrees, while often also holding Master's in Business Administration (MBA) degrees and other certifications.

And those yeye Suit writers gave such a prestigious and accomplished position to a glorified receptionist?? What were they thinking? In what world does running an office give one the necessary qualifications to run a law firm? People behind Suits are mentally challenged indeed.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 18, 2019
JeromeBlack:

Therefore, a lawyer is best suited to be the COO of a Law firm as noted by the partners in suits

Day to day administration and operations does not require a lawyer. Most professions are very narrow skill sets and competence as a lawyer may not translate into the ability to run a law firm. Same applies in other industries eg engineering, software etal. There may be resentment from the rank and file, but administration is not a technical position
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
Let's just say that I have learnt to choose my joke mates more carefully.

No more joking with spare parts dealer before they start seeing my body parts as spare parts cry

JeromeBlack:

Bro, why are you like this? It seems the ban really affected you. You dont joke anymore. cry
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 6:00pm On Jul 18, 2019
ornicus:

Day to day administration and operations does not require a lawyer. Most professions are very narrow skill sets and competence as a lawyer may not translate into the ability to run a law firm. Same applies in other industries eg engineering, software etal. There may be resentment from the rank and file, but administration is not a technical position

Really?

You do realise that even in suits they showed the technicalities involved in being the COO of a law firm?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by AntiMCU: 6:06pm On Jul 18, 2019
ornicus:

The Role of the COO

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 18, 2019
JeromeBlack:

Really?

You do realise that even in suits they showed the technicalities involved in being the COO of a law firm?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Kevin_Turner

From 2005 to 2016, he was the Chief Operating Officer of Microsoft. As COO, Turner was responsible for Microsoft's worldwide sales, field marketing and services organization of 51,000 employees in more than 190 countries.[3] Prior to joining Microsoft, Turner spent nearly two decades at Walmart where he worked his way up from a cashier to Chief Information Officer and later President and CEO of the Walmart-owned retailer, Sam's Club.[4]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheryl_Sandberg

Plenty of coos out there without the technical chops.

Administration is required to keep the company running, but is not necessarily what brings in the money
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 6:27pm On Jul 18, 2019
ornicus:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Kevin_Turner

From 2005 to 2016, he was the Chief Operating Officer of Microsoft. As COO, Turner was responsible for Microsoft's worldwide sales, field marketing and services organization of 51,000 employees in more than 190 countries.[3] Prior to joining Microsoft, Turner spent nearly two decades at Walmart where he worked his way up from a cashier to Chief Information Officer and later President and CEO of the Walmart-owned retailer, Sam's Club.[4]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheryl_Sandberg

Plenty of coos out there without the technical chops.

Administration is required to keep the company running, but is not necessarily what brings in the money

Sometimes I wonder how people can be so unaware when they contradict themselves.

A person as a CIO, and then a CEO before becoming a COO- and that is the example you are using to say that COO is not a technical job.

Lol
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 18, 2019
JeromeBlack:

Sometimes I wonder how people can be so unaware when they contradict themselves.

A person as a CIO, and then a CEO before becoming a COO- and that is the example you are using to say that COO is not a technical job.

Lol

And Sheryl Sandberg?

I'm in traffic and on a phone. Limits what I can copy and paste.

There are plenty of other examples.

I worked in corporate Nigeria for 14 years, and not all the coos I saw were tied to the core business. I was in downstream oil and gas. We have had coos from ICA backgrounds, from project management, and some other depts I cannot remember right now. It was our last / most recent coo who was actually from the core of the business - retail.

In the end imho your coo is a high end admin officer fo4 an enterprise
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 18, 2019
ornicus:

In a law firms and most corporate establishments, sometimes an outsider with a business degree and administrative experience is hired to be a COO, same as in hospitals, but often times, institutions prefer to promote from within, in which case, the board members choose the most qualified candidate from the establishment. In teaching hospitals, it's usually the Chief of Surgery, and law firm, a senior partner.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 18, 2019
And you think it is out of place for a law firm who made a guy who never had a law degree junior partner to make a long serving secretary a COO?

If Donna is not deserving of the role, Mike should never have nothing more than a backroom sidekick to Harvey.

Say no to hypocrisy. grin

KoiceReloaded:

In a law firm, sometimes an outsider with a business degree and administrative experience is hired to be a COO, same as in hospitals, but often times, institutions prefer to promote from within, in which case, the board members choose the most qualified candidate from the establishment. In teaching hospitals, it's usually the Chief of Surgery, and law firm, a senior partner.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 18, 2019
alexistaiwo:
And you think it is out of place for a law firm who made a guy who never had a law degree junior partner to make a long serving secretary a COO?

If Donna is not deserving of the role, Mike should never have nothing more than a backroom sidekick to Harvey.

Does Donna have a business degree? Does she have an experience in running a company? Running a small office won't give you the necessary experience to run a huge firm, you know that, right?

And yes, I agree with you on Mike, but that was when Suit premise was based on comedy, so it's accepted. Now it has veered off of comedy rails, making unqualified Donna a COO is absurd.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 18, 2019
Beorn1, I apologise for not heeding to your previous comment.

This old man will never hear word cheesy

KoiceReloaded:

Does Donna have a business degree? Does she have an experience in running a company? Running a small office won't give you the necessary experience to run a huge firm, you know that, right?

And yes, I agree with you on Mike, but that was when Suit premise was based on comedy, so it's accepted. Now it has veered off of comedy rails, making unqualified Donna a COO is absurd.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 18, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Well, a lot of the people who I saw promoted to COO did not have that experience either. It was a decision by th3 ceo and the board. A gamble, if you will. We had one coo who was literally demot3d and moved to a dead unit because he was a by the book guy and they felt his insistence on process was hampering business. His successor was a free flow get it done person whose style ultimately led to a lot of dodgy stuff. When things came to a head, madam flow was pushed out and oga process pushed back in.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 18, 2019
ornicus:

Well, a lot of the people who I saw promoted to COO did not have that experience either. It was a decision by th3 ceo and the board. A gamble, if you will. We had one coo who was literally demot3d and moved to a dead unit because he was a by the book guy and they felt his insistence on process was hampering business. His successor was a free flow get it done person whose style ultimately led to a lot of dodgy stuff. When things came to a head, madam flow was pushed out and oga process pushed back in.

The moral of your story being, the appointment of unqualified Donna will lead to a lot of dodgy stuff, and would ultimately get the law firm's law licence revoked for malpractice?

Thank you for buttressing my point.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 7:07pm On Jul 18, 2019
JeromeBlack:

Lol

You're funny. Did you miss the place that said he's just a cashier before working his way up to CIO? Oga, from all Ornicus has posted, you don't necessarily have to be a lawyer to be a COO in a law firm. The COO deals with the internal workings of the organization while the CEO or like the partners in a law firm, are the face of the firm.

The COO is multi-talented and sometimes knows how to make things work more than the CEO. Donna is the engine room of that firm. Everyone loves her. She even know how to settle legal disputes between their firms and others. Making her a COO is a wise and legit decision. It had nothing to do with bad script.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1479) (1480) (1481) (1482) (1483) (1484) (1485) ... (3876) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.