Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,337 members, 7,881,243 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:03 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (874) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3864157 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (871) (872) (873) (874) (875) (876) (877) ... (3873) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:34am On Oct 17, 2018
JeromeBlack:

How market?
grin
Troublemaker. You just wan ruin Koice's argument winning streak. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 11:38am On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:

Ah. U don forget the moniker?

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:40am On Oct 17, 2018
KoiceReloaded, from one of the links you provided

The story of a missing teenager and the hunt to find her is suspenseful, believable and difficult to predict. Innovatively telling its story through IM, texts, YouTube, Facebook and the tech gadgetry we use to communicate with on a daily basis, Searching is Indian-American director Aneesh Chaganty’s debut, and highlights a consummate knowledge of filmmaking that makes him a name to watch out for.

https://m.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/article/2168124/searching-film-review-john-cho-hi-tech-mystery-thriller?edition=international

Note the use of the phrase, DAILY BASIS.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:41am On Oct 17, 2018
troubleseller:
I no forget am. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:41am On Oct 17, 2018
troubleseller:
I no forget am. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 11:43am On Oct 17, 2018
Na play I dey bros Koice. Make e for no cause fight.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 11:46am On Oct 17, 2018
SAMBHOSS:

olorun...grin

Venom isn't in the MCU?
VENOM
THAT WAS IN SPIDERMAN??

Which Spiderman movie is that? Are you implying Tobey McGuire's movies are part of the MCU?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 11:59am On Oct 17, 2018
But from all we've discussed:
1. Searching isn't sci-fi. In fact in the listing of its genres there's nothing like sci talkless of fi. It's just a mystery (or whatever genre it is) movie that utilizes technology exceptionally well.
2. James Bond isn't sci-fi. The link you gave clearly stated it's spyfi with science fiction elements.
3. Even in 5 billion years movies like Searching and Unfriended will not be listed under sci-fi genre.
4. 'Experts' will always have their opinions and definitions. Doesn't always mean they are right their voices are only louder.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:

On 007, it's listed under a subgenre of SPY-FY because it contains elements of Sci-fi which I agree with (like Bond's watches with laser beams that can cut through metal objects, or magnets that can deflect bullets), but it's listed as spy-fi not Sci-fi. Clearly, you can see the distinction here. But the argument on whether Bond movies can be sci-fi is credible enough because of the use of technology yet to be produced in reality (exactly what JeromeBlack was trying to explain on why technology in Searching was just a basic technology used by all), so I can give you that.

But for Searching, nah, I disagree. Some of The technology used in Bond movies are not regular technologies, while EVERY technology or science in Searching are basic technologies even kids can operate. It's just use of cam recorders and social media and phone calls. Nothing irregular about it.

In conclusion, if you insist that Searching is a sci-fi movie, then you must agree that TV shows like 24 and Strike Back where more advanced technologies like hacking of computers/phones and satellite images are used in real time to solve crimes, are both sci-fi movies. Which shows the level of the ridiculousness you'll be stooping to with such assertions

How are you not getting this?? I've already explained that contemporary science fiction or social science fiction like it's more popularly known is a subgenre that covers wide range of social commentary like anthropological sci-fi to, dystopian sci-fi to post-apocalyptic, etc... I don't know how else to stress this. Social science doesn't always have to involve futuristic technologies, but the impact of technology in our corrective lives and society, like in the present. Did you even go through the wiki link I pasted underneath the PS?

I remember now something you said about contemporary science only being present in novels. Most Movie ideas are based on novels, and the genre they come from, are they not?. Any genre you see in novels, you will most likely see in motion pictures adaptation. It's a matter of simple logic, really.

As for 24, it's episodic, thus a grey area. It's more of a mixed bag because every episode don't have the same theme. Some episodes are centred on gadgets and hacking, and others on some other things that don't directly involve technology, but more on survival. Same logic can be apply to Strike Back and the rest of similar tv shows, alright? So, categorically, they are not sci-fi.

Can't believe I'm still arguing about this...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:
KoiceReloaded, from one of the links you provided

https://m.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/article/2168124/searching-film-review-john-cho-hi-tech-mystery-thriller?edition=international

Note the use of the phrase, DAILY BASIS.

Read what I said above.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:

For where? I'm still his grandfather. cheesy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 17, 2018
troubleseller:
But from all we've discussed:
1. Searching isn't sci-fi. In fact in the listing of its genres there's nothing like sci talkless of fi. It's just a mystery (or whatever genre it is) movie that utilizes technology exceptionally well.
2. James Bond isn't sci-fi. The link you gave clearly stated it's spyfi with science fiction elements.
3. Even in 5 billion years movies like Searching and Unfriended will not be listed under sci-fi genre.
4. 'Experts' will always have their opinions and definitions. Doesn't always mean they are right their voices are only louder.

Technically, a spy fiction with some elements of sci-fi qualifies as a sci-fi, alright? A tomato is a vegetable but since it's fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant, it's also seen and classified as a fruit.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 12:33pm On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:

It is necessary. Koice's head was swelling too much. We know that he is a boss when it comes to movies. But he is not a God.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 12:51pm On Oct 17, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

For where? I'm still his grandfather. cheesy

Are you familiar with the story of Tekken?

Son (Kazuya) and grandson (Jin) Beat the grandfather (Heihachi)

Even worse, the three of them beat the great-grandfather (Jinpachi)
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyetpel(m): 12:51pm On Oct 17, 2018
APOSTLE. (thriller, HORROR)

Still can't keep up with you guys here, but i had to drop the movie. Netflix finally came through.

You will stay glued to your screen till the end.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 1:00pm On Oct 17, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

How are you not getting this?? I've already explained that contemporary science fiction or social science fiction like it's more popularly known is a subgenre that covers wide range of social commentary like anthropological sci-fi to, dystopian sci-fi to post-apocalyptic, etc... I don't know how else to stress this. Social science doesn't always have to involve futuristic technologies, but the impact of technology in our corrective lives and society, like in the present. Did you even go through the wiki link I pasted underneath the PS?

I remember now something you said about contemporary science only being present in novels. Most Movie ideas are based on novels, and the genre they come from, are they not?. Any genre you see in novels, you will most likely see in motion pictures adaptation. It's a matter of simple logic, really.

As for 24, it's episodic, thus a grey area. It's more of a mixed bag because every episode don't have the same theme. Some episodes are centred on gadgets and hacking, and others on some other things that don't directly involve technology, but more on survival. Same logic can be apply to Strike Back and the rest of similar tv shows, alright? So, categorically, they are not sci-fi.

Can't believe I'm still arguing about this...

Sorry, bro, the highlighted excuse does not hold water. Whether each episode has technology in it or not, as long as technologies are used at many episodes of the show, with your analogy, it becomes a sci-fi TV show which is preposterous, no offense. Same goes for movies like the Social Media and Enemy of the State where technology/computer were used.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 1:03pm On Oct 17, 2018
oyetpel:
APOSTLE. (thriller)

Still can't keep up with you guys here, but i had to drop the movie. Netflix finally came through.

You will stay glued to your screen till the end.

I'm still skeptical about watching this movie. My mind tells me it'll be average despite the praises about it on here.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyetpel(m): 1:13pm On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:

I'm still skeptical about watching this movie. My mind tells me it'll be average despite the praises about it on here.

Oh, i didn't know people have been talking about it here, that's something about hype. When you decide to watch it you will expect too much and you will also turn your critique microscope mind ON.
And you are right, its an average movie but more interesting than some over hyped movies.

It's about a group of occult Christians on an island. Its not a flash and gloom movie.

A man whose sister is a member is now been used by the cult to collect a ransom from their father.

But the man decided to go undercover on the island, in order to free his sister, expose and destroy the group.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:

Sorry, bro, the highlighted excuse does not hold water. Whether each episode has technology in it or not, as long as technologies are used at many episodes of the show, with your analogy, it becomes a sci-fi TV show which is preposterous, no offense. Same goes for movies like the Social Media and Enemy of the State where technology/computer were used.

You know, this blunder you just made is exactly one of the reasons tv shows and movies are grouped separately. They have differing dynamics working for them. For instance, tv shows is long running, and thus can accommodate several factors like multiple themes, multiple plots and subplots, arc overlap and many more. It can even switch genres depending on plot development. And episodes can be completely standalone or connected, serialized or procedural. In short, tv series is a complex work of art. That's why I said it's a mixed bag, a grey area basically, and it's a common novice mistake to directly compare them to movies. They're not compatible. Anyhoo, I don't expect you to understand or agree sha. I'm perfectly content with leaving this tiny piece of trivia out here.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 17, 2018
JeromeBlack:

Are you familiar with the story of Tekken?

Son (Kazuya) and grandson (Jin) Beat the grandfather (Heihachi)

Even worse, the three of them beat the great-grandfather (Jinpachi)

For for the fact that they had to triple-tag him to defeat him says a lot. They know they were no match for him individually. cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 17, 2018
oyetpel:

Oh, i didn't know people have been talking about it here, that's something about hype. When you decide to watch it you will expect too much and you will also turn your critique microscope mind ON.
And you are right, its an average movie but more interesting than some over hyped movies.

It's about a group of occult Christians on an island. Its not a flash and gloom movie.

A man whose sister is a member is now been used by the cult to collect a ransom from their father.

But the man decided to go undercover on the island, in order to free his sister, expose and destroy the group.

You don yan the whole movie finish naa, nothing remain again. angry
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 2:32pm On Oct 17, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

You know, this blunder you just made is exactly one of the reasons tv shows and movies are grouped separately. They have differing dynamics working for them. For instance, tv shows is long running, and thus can accommodate several factors like multiple themes, multiple plots and subplots, arc overlap and many more. It can even switch genres depending on plot development. And episodes can be completely standalone or connected, serialized or procedural. In short, tv series is a complex work of art. That's why I said it's a mixed bag, a grey area basically, and it's a common novice mistake to directly compare them with movies. They're not compatible. Anyhoo, I don't expect you to understand or agree sha. I'm perfectly content with leaving this tiny piece of trivia out here.

I also gave movie examples like Enemy of the State and Social Media. In short, any basic technology movie out there that involves technologies like phone, laptop, computer, use of CCTVs or cameras in relation with human activities basically falls into your social science fiction subgenre, and thus, can be classified as sci-fi movies, which basically involves so many modern day movies. Safe you say almost all movies these days are sci-fi.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 2:35pm On Oct 17, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

You don yan the whole movie finish naa, nothing remain again. angry
LMAO. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:

I also gave movie examples like Enemy of the State and Social Media. In short, any basic technology movie out there that involves technologies like phone, laptop, computer, use of CCTVs or cameras in relation with human activities basically falls into your social science fiction subgenre, and thus, can be classified as sci-fi movies, which basically involves so many modern day movies. Safe you say almost all movies these days are sci-fi.

It's a huge subgenre and overlaps with several other genres. It says silent most often than not, because there are louder genres and themes at play, like mysteries, drama, adventure and action.

At the highlighted, you mean The Social Network cuz I'm can't find any movie called Social Media anywhere on the internet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Social_science_fiction_films

In the link above, visit the "Films about technological impact" subcategory, The Social Network is right there.

As for Enemy of The State, the movie is based on a sci-fi novel of the same name.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/315239.An_Enemy_of_the_State

Like one reviewer said, "It's a science fiction book written from a libertarian viewpoint..."

Anyhoo, let's just end this here. I've already said everything that had to be said on the subject. cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 3:11pm On Oct 17, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

It's a huge subgenre and overlaps with several other genres. It says silent most often than not, because there are louder genres and themes at play, like mysteries, drama, adventure and action.

At the highlighted, you mean The Social Network cuz I'm can't find any movie called Social Media anywhere on the internet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Social_science_fiction_films

In the link above, visit the "Films about technological impact" subcategory, The Social Network is right there.

As for Enemy of The State, the movie is based on a sci-fi novel of the same name.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/315239.An_Enemy_of_the_State
I

Like one reviewer said, "It's a science fiction book written from a libertarian viewpoint..."

Anyhoo, let's just end this here. I've already said everything that had to be said on the subject.

Yes, I meant The Social Network. Well then, with above link, suffice to say 99% of modern movies has to be sci-fi then.

Let's move on from the topic.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:

LMAO. grin

He summarized all the basics. Thanks to him, I now know

- 1. A woman was a cult member
- 2. Said cult held her hostage to extort the father
- 3. Father went undercover
- 4. Father freed the daughter and exposed the cult's evil activities.

Oyetpel, welldone. angry

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 3:26pm On Oct 17, 2018
Oyetpel warrisdis?

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyetpel(m): 4:13pm On Oct 17, 2018
troubleseller:
Oyetpel warrisdis?
Below is the synopsis of the movie:
A man travels to a remote island to search for his missing sister after she is kidnapped by a murderous religious cult.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by DandeNumeruno(m): 4:33pm On Oct 17, 2018
Koice I want to thank you again for the movies-300mb website. so many goodies from blue films(for research purposes) to bollywood & hollywood. sometimes hd movie are as small as 100mb &200mb. hevc baby. and the servers are super fast. Thanks again koice. Keep up the good work. gringringringrincheesycheesycheesy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by babasolo(m): 5:27pm On Oct 17, 2018
DandeNumeruno:
Koice I want to thank you again for the movies-300mb website. so many goodies from blue films(for research purposes) to bollywood & hollywood. sometimes hd movie are as small as 100mb &200mb. hevc baby. and the servers are super fast. Thanks again koice. Keep up the good work. gringringringrincheesycheesycheesy

grin cheesy grin cheesy hehehe Agbaya no be only research...

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Moneyboyz: 5:57pm On Oct 17, 2018
DandeNumeruno:

This nigga funny die

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SAMBHOSS(m): 6:08pm On Oct 17, 2018
Kaycee7:
Which Spiderman movie is that? Are you implying Tobey McGuire's movies are part of the MCU?

I thought venom was MCU...okay sha...

(1) (2) (3) ... (871) (872) (873) (874) (875) (876) (877) ... (3873) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: POLS, phr0nesis(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.