Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,556 members, 7,941,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 05:34 PM

'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 (3522 Views)

Wike: 'I Wont Go Down Alone, If I Go Down Everyone Goes Down With Me' - Herald / Buhari Flown Abroad For Prostate Cancer Checkup - The Herald / New Sect Claims Responsibility For SARS Attack In Abuja -Desert Herald (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by scribe2000(m): 8:56pm On Dec 10, 2013
From http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/the-dark-side-of-nelson-mandela/story-fni0ffxg-1226778174719

MUCH of the sanctimonious grieving for Nelson Mandela is not just a sin against history - but a danger.

It is true Mandela rose to greatness. Freed after 27 years in a South African jail, the anti-apartheid fighter emerged not bent on vengeance but healing.

He negotiated a peaceful end to apartheid, and as the first president of democratic South Africa, preached - and practised - reconciliation. In this he was great. A healer. An inspiration.

For many whites abroad, he seems even Christ-like - someone who'd suffered for the sins of white guilt, and absolved those who believed in him of the sin of racism.

But Mandela was no Christ nor even Gandhi nor Martin Luther King. He was for decades a man of violence. In 1961, he broke with African National Congress colleagues who preached non-violence, creating a terrorist wing.

He later pleaded guilty in court to acts of public violence, and behind bars sanctioned more, including the 1983 Church St car bomb that killed 19 people.

Mandela even suggested cutting off the noses of blacks deemed collaborators. His then wife Winnie advocated "necklacing" instead - a burning tyre around the neck.

Mandela argued the apartheid regime left him no option but to fight violence with violence, but it is too easy to claim events proved him right. His legacy is not yet played out.

Current president Jacob Zuma until recently still publicly sang the anti-apartheid song, Shoot the Boer, in a still-divided country where many white farmers have been shot.

Mandela's support for other leaders of violence is even less forgivable. He maintained close ties to Cuban dictator Fidel Castro and backed Palestinian terrorist leader Yasser Arafat. As president in 1997, he gave his country's highest award for a foreigner to Libya's dictator, Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, who'd donated $10 million to the ANC. He gave the same award to the corrupt Indonesian president Suharto, who he said had donated $60 million.

He supported Nigerian coup leader Sani Abacha, refusing to say a word publicly to stop the 1995 hanging of activist Ken Saro-Wiwa.

I repeat, Mandela did great things. But many of his more radical supporters in the West now use that greatness to wash clean his record of political violence - and his support for dictators who'd used it.

That is dangerous.

From http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/the-dark-side-of-nelson-mandela/story-fni0ffxg-1226778174719
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by scribe2000(m): 8:59pm On Dec 10, 2013
Could this be a piece from a disgruntled European trying to diminish the great Mandiba?
Or is there more to it?
I know every man has a great side, but this will not, and should not trivialize the acheivements of Mandela. My take...

3 Likes

Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by iterator25: 9:18pm On Dec 10, 2013
scribe2000: Could this be a piece from a disgruntled European trying to diminish the great Mandiba?
Or is there more to it?
I know every man has a great side, but this will not, and should not trivialize the acheivements of Mandela. My take...
absolute truth..

3 Likes

Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by vedaxcool(m): 9:34pm On Dec 10, 2013
Evidently this white man is hurt that the last great man alive was black, have Europe renouce violence? The same Europe that freely rub shoulders with violent men like Netanyahu, Blair, Bush and their ilk? Please Mandela did the ultimate form of forgiveness which is being in the position to punish your enemies but have a bigger heart that forgives. The madness of the colonials needed confrontation, if the author feels every man should hug the white mans poo to show he is not violent, then he really need to get off that scorch!

6 Likes

Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by redsun(m): 9:49pm On Dec 10, 2013
What ever law that made freedom fighters convicts in south africa at time of Mandela struggle is null and void since it was a nazi like regime.It was the opposite of what is right in all ramification and the jailers rather should be and always regarded as fugitives.
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by Abagworo(m): 10:08pm On Dec 10, 2013
Ghaddafi and Abacha are some of the greatest Africans.

1 Like

Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by redsun(m): 10:20pm On Dec 10, 2013
Abagworo: Ghaddafi and Abacha are some of the greatest Africans.

Abacha ke?With of the looting?
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 10:21pm On Dec 10, 2013
DAVID.......was a very violent man. Yet he was the man after God's heart.
MOSES......was a violent man. Yet he led isrealites out of Egypt.
PETER.......was a violent man. Yet the church was built upon him.
Even JESUS flogged and beat up people in the temple.
The list is endless.
None....I say none is without weakness.
THE WHITE MAN IS JUST PAINED THAT THIS MODERN DAY WORLD MESSIAH IS A BLACK MAN. HENCE THE NEED TO TAINT HIM.
SEUN everything in life is not about money, I suggest you forgo the e-MONEY from traffic here and delete this thread in honour of our black messiah, MADIBA.
GOOD NIGHT MANDELA!

3 Likes

Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by Itoroetti(m): 10:22pm On Dec 10, 2013
Everybody have their own weak point
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 10, 2013
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by gluv01(f): 10:43pm On Dec 10, 2013
Last Bullet: This is from an aggrieved individual. #Singing Brenda Fassie's song-I will die for my president#
Well not literally grin but this doesn't change my perception of Madiba. I love him
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by Abagworo(m): 12:09am On Dec 11, 2013
redsun:

Abacha ke?With of the looting?

Abacha was high handed with opposition but as for looting I doubt that greatly as oil sold between 9$ and 18$ during his time. He might have done some businesses that gave him money using his position as head of State.
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by Ngwakwe: 12:26am On Dec 11, 2013
You mean Drug Business and he was richer than Nigeria?

Stop this caricature and call Sani Abacha what he was, A THIEF in capital letters whether he is your role model or not.

Abagworo:

Abacha was high handed with opposition but as for looting I doubt that greatly as oil sold between 9$ and 18$ during his time. He might have done some businesses that gave him money using his position as head of State.

2 Likes

Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by bumdish: 2:24am On Dec 11, 2013
scribe2000: From http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/the-dark-side-of-nelson-mandela/story-fni0ffxg-1226778174719
He supported Nigerian coup leader Sani Abacha, refusing to say a word publicly to stop the 1995 hanging of activist Ken Saro-Wiwa.

The bolded is crap. Have you forgotten that the social outcast called Abacha refused the Super Eagles a defence of their title in South Africa in a bid to slight the noble Madiba.

Read this and be educated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was early 1996, and Nigeria's military government was becoming a global pariah.

The prominent Nigerian human rights activist Ken Saro Wiwa had been executed and among the most powerful voices condemning the regime of the military dictator General Sani Abacha was that of Nelson Mandela, the then president of South Africa.

The political relationship between Africa's most populous nation and its wealthiest had become alarmingly tense.

1 Like

Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by Nobody: 6:33am On Dec 11, 2013
Madiba Nelson Mandela.: God will defo make me greater than you in my own Way.!!!
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by fr3do(m): 7:51am On Dec 11, 2013
The author has no shame
He is not worthy of response
Why am I even commenting?
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by Nobody: 8:10am On Dec 11, 2013
In Mandela's Name, Every knee must bow.

Now, we should replace Jesus and Mohammed with Mandela in our prayers, we've got our own Hero.
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by vedaxcool(m): 8:20am On Dec 11, 2013
^
Muslims don't worship or pray to Muhammed neither do we worship humans! Rather than pray to mandela, I think u in particular can emulate mandelas virtue like honesty, up rightness etc

1 Like

Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:24am On Dec 11, 2013
scribe2000: Could this be a piece from a disgruntled European trying to diminish the great Mandiba?
Or is there more to it?
what is grt abt mandela?

What has he achieved? Was his cause even justified?

The whites still dominates south africa, and the blacks are pushed into the outskirts and ghettos!

U think he wanted peace? He represented the interest of the whites!

He lost his cause, wanted his freedom, and therefore wld av signed a pact to remain silence and peaceful while he breath the air of a coveted freedom!

Was his cause justified? Were the blacks free?

The whites still control the larger part of their economy!

Mandela was grt...pls tell me what he did?

Tell me the success of his imprisonment?

Was his imprisonment instrumental to their independence? Was it not the other african leaders, whom they clearly didn't recognized, that fought for SA's independence? If they av kept mute, mandela wld av rotted in jail with no option!

He fought against the killing of his people...yes...that was heroic... And for the total indepence from the whites...even in his eyes..that didn't happen!

The blacks in SA were still clearly not independent....i can as much tell u that!
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by Nobody: 11:10am On Dec 11, 2013
E

1 Like

Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 22, 2019
Ae
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jun 22, 2019
scribe2000:

MUCH of the sanctimonious grieving for Nelson Mandela is not just a sin against history - but a danger.

It is true Mandela rose to greatness. Freed after 27 years in a South African jail, the anti-apartheid fighter emerged not bent on vengeance but healing.

He negotiated a peaceful end to apartheid, and as the first president of democratic South Africa, preached - and practised - reconciliation. In this he was great. A healer. An inspiration.

For many whites abroad, he seems even Christ-like - someone who'd suffered for the sins of white guilt, and absolved those who believed in him of the sin of racism.

But Mandela was no Christ nor even Gandhi nor Martin Luther King. He was for decades a man of violence. In 1961, he broke with African National Congress colleagues who preached non-violence, creating a terrorist wing.

He later pleaded guilty in court to acts of public violence, and behind bars sanctioned more, including the 1983 Church St car bomb that killed 19 people.

Mandela even suggested cutting off the noses of blacks deemed collaborators. His then wife Winnie advocated "necklacing" instead - a burning tyre around the neck.

Mandela argued the apartheid regime left him no option but to fight violence with violence, but it is too easy to claim events proved him right. His legacy is not yet played out.

Current president Jacob Zuma until recently still publicly sang the anti-apartheid song, Shoot the Boer, in a still-divided country where many white farmers have been shot.

Mandela's support for other leaders of violence is even less forgivable. He maintained close ties to Cuban dictator Fidel Castro and backed Palestinian terrorist leader Yasser Arafat. As president in 1997, he gave his country's highest award for a foreigner to Libya's dictator, Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, who'd donated $10 million to the ANC. He gave the same award to the corrupt Indonesian president Suharto, who he said had donated $60 million.

I repeat, Mandela did great things. But many of his more radical supporters in the West now use that greatness to wash clean his record of political violence - and his support for dictators who'd used it.

That is dangerous.

Andrew Bolt lost his stolen land in South Africa.
He is in sifia pains and needs consolation.

Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by Lovelive: 11:13pm On Jun 22, 2019
HonSuQMaDIQ:
The list is endless.
THE WHITE MAN IS JUST PAINED THAT THIS MODERN DAY WORLD MESSIAH IS A BLACK MAN. HENCE THE NEED TO TAINT HIM.
SEUN everything in life is not about money, I suggest you forgo the e-MONEY from traffic here and delete this thread in honour of our black messiah, MADIBA.
GOOD NIGHT MANDELA!

I love this piece.
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by seguno2: 11:17pm On Jun 22, 2019
scribe2000:
Could this be a piece from a disgruntled European trying to diminish the great Mandiba?
Or is there more to it?

Try applying the net worth principle of banking and wealth management to your take for easier digestion cheesy
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by seguno2: 11:20pm On Jun 22, 2019
HonSuQMaDIQ:
The list is endless.
GOOD NIGHT MANDELA!

Why should an educational thread be deleted?
Everyone has their good, bad and ugly sides that should be fully examined to get the whole picture.
Why should that be a problem
Re: 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013 by seguno2: 12:44am On Jun 23, 2019
This thread should be on the front page.

(1) (Reply)

Exclusive: U.s.a Has Offer There Ebola Drug To Spanish Priest In Madrid / Man Pass Man, Picture. / Download Buhari- Pullover Video #buharipullover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.