Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,116 members, 7,887,241 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 03:33 AM

Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected (850 Views)

Ese Walter Releases Affair Evidence With Pastor BiodunTo Respected Minister / Why TB Joshua Must Be Respected / I Believe Pastor Chris Should Be Respected (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by huxley(m): 10:47pm On Jul 28, 2008
There is a unwritten consensus that it is impolite to criticize religions and religious beliefs. I think this is plain and simply wrong. In the free market of ideas, religions and religious beliefs should "battle" for acceptable just like any other ideas.

No one by default respects ideas such as Capitalism, Marxism. In fact, the notion of respecting ideologies is wrong and there should be no sacred cows in the intellectual world of ideas.

On the other hand, people are deserving of respect and not the ideas the possess.
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jul 28, 2008
you hypocrite, why dont you move to the islam section and start ur criticism there. Its easy to do so on the christian section no?
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by huxley(m): 10:51pm On Jul 28, 2008
davidylan:

you hypocrite, why don't you move to the islam section and start your criticism there. Its easy to do so on the christian section no?

How is this hypocrisy?
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jul 28, 2008
you've spent the better part of your waking moments criticizing the bible and the christian concept of God, YET you're here wondering pretending to wonder whether religions shld be respected? Has anyone ever accused you of disrespecting christianity? Truth is no one is bothered.

Now how about you criticize islam a bit, i find it a bit hypocritical that your definition of "religion" always tends to avoid islam.
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by GODLOVES1: 10:57pm On Jul 28, 2008
I agree

asking questions is not hypocrisy. If God did not what us to ask question then he would not have given us our own will.

I also agree with Huxley when he sad Ideas should battle. I think we should respect the person, but not as much the idea.
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by huxley(m): 10:59pm On Jul 28, 2008
I have the same venom for Christianity as I have for Islam. Only I don't know that much about islam. I agree, that is my fault and I should educate myself more on islam.
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by GODLOVES1: 11:00pm On Jul 28, 2008
If God can't stand up to a little criticism the he is not God
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 28, 2008
GOD_LOVES:

I agree

asking questions is not hypocrisy. If God did not what us to ask question then he would not have given us our own will.

I also agree with Huxley when he sad Ideas should battle. I think we should respect the person, but not as much the idea.

You lost my point. There is no one against a battle of ideas when it comes to the bible. Even the bible says . . . come let us reason together. Its nothing new, the pharisees and saducees debated with Christ and He didnt go chasing them with cutlasses.

What is hypocrisy is that huxley seems to have more of an axe to grind with christianity while pretending that islam will just silently go away. Perhaps he is comfortable in the fact that unlike the muslim, the average christian wont be trying to get him banned or looking to kill him.

huxley:

I have the same venom for Christianity as I have for Islam. Only I don't know that much about islam. I agree, that is my fault and I should educate myself more on islam.

that is a very puerile excuse. You dont know anything about christianity either, much of what you pretend to know is mainly from reading the texts of fellow atheists like you.

You shld be well aware this is no attempt to muzzle you, as you know many christians here were quite happy to take your questions until it was clear you really werent out for an honest answer.
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by huxley(m): 11:24pm On Jul 28, 2008
davidylan:

You lost my point. There is no one against a battle of ideas when it comes to the bible. Even the bible says . . . come let us reason together. Its nothing new, the pharisees and saducees debated with Christ and He didnt go chasing them with cutlasses.

What is hypocrisy is that huxley seems to have more of an axe to grind with christianity while pretending that islam will just silently go away. Perhaps he is comfortable in the fact that unlike the muslim, the average christian wont be trying to get him banned or looking to kill him.

that is a very puerile excuse. You don't know anything about christianity either, much of what you pretend to know is mainly from reading the texts of fellow atheists like you.

You shld be well aware this is no attempt to muzzle you, as you know many christians here were quite happy to take your questions until it was clear you really werent out for an honest answer.

You forget that I was raised in a Christian tradition and was exposed to the bible from an early age. So it is not hard to know what the typical christian thinks as that is recorded in their reprehensible book called the bible

Equally vile is the koran. However, I cannot navigate my way thru is as fluently as I could with the bible.
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jul 28, 2008
huxley:

You forget that I was raised in a Christian tradition and was exposed to the bible from an early age. So it is not hard to know what the typical christian thinks as that is recorded in their reprehensible book called the bible

Equally vile is the koran. However, I cannot navigate my way through is as fluently as I could with the bible.

You're sinking deeper in your attempt to excuse your despicable cowardice. You CAN navigate the quran if you took just 10% of the time you spend posting 1000 anti-christian threads a minute here to look through it. I never opened a quran until 2 yrs ago but i can at least hold my own when it comes to certain doctrinal issues with muslims.

You claim to have been raised in the christian tradition, anyone can make that claim. You dont seem know anything about the typical GENUINE christian basd on what i've read from you so far. You cant really navigate the bible beyond posting tired old nonsense that someone else has placed on the internet so spare me.

Make just 2 posts on the islamic thread and lets see how long your username will last, hypocrite. Its easy to point a finger at christianity, we'd only take u in and even feed you so you can go out and burn more bibles.
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by huxley(m): 11:42pm On Jul 28, 2008
davidylan:

You're sinking deeper in your attempt to excuse your despicable cowardice. You CAN navigate the quran if you took just 10% of the time you spend posting 1000 anti-christian threads a minute here to look through it. I never opened a quran until 2 years ago but i can at least hold my own when it comes to certain doctrinal issues with muslims.

You claim to have been raised in the christian tradition, anyone can make that claim. You don't seem know anything about the typical GENUINE christian basd on what i've read from you so far. You can't really navigate the bible beyond posting tired old nonsense that someone else has placed on the internet so spare me.

Make just 2 posts on the islamic thread and lets see how long your username will last, hypocrite. Its easy to point a finger at christianity, we'd only take u in and even feed you so you can go out and burn more bibles.

OK, let me accept you premise - that I am scared of islamicist. There is some truth to that. The last time I started coming down hard on islam I got my username (therationa) banned.

But does that make the Christian arguments right?
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by Nobody: 1:50am On Jul 29, 2008
huxley:

OK, let me accept you premise - that I am scared of islamicist. There is some truth to that. The last time I started coming down hard on islam I got my username (therationa) banned.

But does that make the Christian arguments right?

No one is telling you to take the christian "argument" as 100% truth. You're free to disbelieve and even thrash the bible if you want, we're just tired of hypocrites like you who come here crying about "religion" when all u really mean is christianity since you're too cowardly to confront the real threat to humanity - islam.
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by GODLOVES1: 9:04am On Jul 29, 2008

I do agree with you there, and I'm sorry for misunderstanding what you meant.
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by huxley(m): 9:14am On Jul 29, 2008
davidylan:

No one is telling you to take the christian "argument" as 100% truth. You're free to disbelieve and even thrash the bible if you want, we're just tired of hypocrites like you who come here crying about "religion" when all u really mean is christianity since you're too cowardly to confront the real threat to humanity - islam.

You would like to be left unchallenged in you delusion, right?
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by GODLOVES1: 10:40am On Jul 29, 2008
huxley:

What makes the faith in Christ a delusion? And what makes Atheism not one, you need just as much FAITH do believe that there is no God then to believe that there is one.
You have Faith in the idea that there is no God, we have Faith that there is a God
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 29, 2008
huxley:

What you do is not "challenge" my position but simply run a disgusting campaign of calumny against the christian belief.
I'd rather you were honest and challenged the islamists too just as much as you claim to "challenge" us.
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by huxley(m): 2:33pm On Jul 29, 2008
davidylan:

What you do is not "challenge" my position but simply run a disgusting campaign of calumny against the christian belief.
I'd rather you were honest and challenged the islamists too just as much as you claim to "challenge" us.

In a democratic world, your delusion, masquerading as piety and respectable, affects us all. That is why it ought to be challenged.
Re: Should Religions (or Any Ideology) Be Respected by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 29, 2008
huxley:

In a democratic world, your delusion, masquerading as piety and respectable, affects us all. That is why it ought to be challenged.

You have a 1000% percent chance of being killed by a muslim terrorist than a christian "fundamentalist". Its funny you choose to restrict your "challenge" to the relatively harmless. Your hypocrisy has not gone unnoticed.

(1) (Reply)

Christianity Was Adapted Wholesale From Paganism (part 1) / Jesus Conclusion On Fake Miracle Workers / This Teaching Is Part 2 Of My Teaching Lady Wisdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.