Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,958 members, 7,949,272 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 02:25 AM

Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela (23438 Views)

Charles Antwi Tries To Kill Mahama, Ghanaian President (Photo) / Woman Strips Unclad To Hug Mandela Statue / Nelson Mandela Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by chucky234(m): 10:55am On Dec 13, 2013
boolet: In my opinion, I think it will be erroneous to place Kwame and Nelson side by side. What Kwame did wasn't in any way greater than what Awo and Zik did. At best, we could regard the trio of Kwame, Awo and Zik as contemporaries. We must not forget that the end of the colonial era in most parts of Africa came to be due to the desire of the elites to 'continue' from where the colonialists stopped. However the anti-apartheid campaign by Nelson as well as other S/Africans was a more genuine undertaking. I cannot remember if Kwame was victimized to the extent of spending the core part of his youth in jail. If you ask me, Nelson was an activist, while Kwame and his Nigerian brothers only wanted the dividends of their exposure to the Western education by being champions over the "illiterate" masses of their people.
Allow those Ghanians to keep reasoning with their anu§ instead of their God given brain, Zik of Africa was far above Nkrumah whose only aim was to enslave Ghanians the moment he got hold of power.
Madiba had a heart you can only witness in fictional movies or novels,a man who sacrisfied his youth to firmly stood for what he believed in.
Only Fela Anikulapo Kuti come close,bravest of men.

4 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by PeeDaVinci: 10:56am On Dec 13, 2013
I have had this argument with several people in the past couple of days. I told a colleague that Mandela is undoubtedly great, but he is not the greatest African or as great as the press is playing it out, and when he asked me who is then the greatest african, my exact response was that "i dont know but i will rate the likes of Nkrumah above Mandela".
IMO, mandela has not really done anything extra-ordinarily great. Someone said, he was imprisoned for 27 years, and I asked what about the pple who laid down their lives for the same cause. And another said, he led SA out of Apatheid, and I was like, that is exactly ahmadu bello, awolowo, shagari, enahoro . . . did. Another said also, he forgave the pple who imprisoned him, and i said, that is exactly the reason why they released him - to reconcile the blacks and whites, the whites were tired of the lack of peace during the apartheid, and they chose Mandela to bridge the divide in SA. An another said, he chose to be the President for just one term, and I replied, that is a rare virtue among african leaders, but that doesnt make him extra-ordinary and there are countries whose leaders resigned voluntarily before the end of a single term presidency.

Dont get me wrong, Mandela is great not because of who he is or what he has done, but what he represents - "freedom", and Africans gave him that "representation" during his incarceration because they wanted to see the end of the apartheid regime. He is just like the Queen who is a great woman not because of who she really is as a person, but what she represents.

I ask over and over, what has Mandela actually done for Africa, the western press eulogizes mandela because of influence of south african press in the western world. and these western media are the same ones who vilified him during apartheid, and now, suprisingly, on bbc journalist even likened him to Jesus.

to sum up, Mandela is a very very great man, but not as great as the press made it to be.

9 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Nobody: 10:56am On Dec 13, 2013
Okija_juju: I dont think any was greater than the Next.. This type of debate isnt progressive at all..

Typical Nigga attitude..

Both these men stood for something, fought for something and achived what they set out from the start. When dealing with humans especially Africans, you can never please everybody. Even in South Africa, Mandela is many things to many people, some good, some not so good.

What we all should rather take away is that these men have both left indelible footprints in the sands of time. Mandela was a South African, but even thhe almighty United States recognized his passing by flying their flags at half mast in respect. Upon his death, he assembled more world leaders than the Pope did at his funeral. Thats the mark of greatness. A mark of greatness that we no longer have in our society today.

Debates like these make rubbish of the legacy that Mandela & Nkrumah both stood for.

Rather than debate on such a stupid topic, why not ask who the next Nelson Mandela or Kwame Nkrumah or Patrice Lumumba would be..

Bloody Africans.. Always fighting to bring each other down.. angry
[/b]

My sentiments exactly, sir. In mandela's words "Never compare yourself to others..."
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by clemmonce(m): 10:57am On Dec 13, 2013
ImHotep-X:
Who was the greatest African? This is very debatable. Also, we need to define Africa and what it actually means to be African. Africa itself is so vague and vast that trying to define the term in a myopic way would obfuscate what it actually means to be African, and exempt a lot of people. And like Zuma, the South African president said a few weeks ago: "There's no Africa/African." A few other African academics share the same sentiments. Perhaps, we need to start defining it as "black" - to make it all inconclusive.

So to call either Kwame Nkrumah or Nelson Mandela the greatest black person ever is a tad bit too generous IMO. However, we can debate who was more influential, more popular and more accomplished between the two icons. I'd say Kwame Nkrumah was more influential to the "African" cause since he was the face of anti-colonial struggle and he paved the way for everyone else. All the subsequent pan-Africanists came from his school of thought and they all studied him. But when it comes to popularity and accomplishment, as a black man, then no one is ever going to touch Nelson Mandela. If you want to use the creation of OAU as a yardstick to measure greatness, despite the non-achievements of the OAU - then Muammar Gaddafi also deserve to be in the conversation for creating the AU.

Personally, for the greatest black person ever - I would lean towards Malcolm X and Steven Biko since they both provided blueprints on how to solve the unique problems of the black race. However, they never really accomplished much while they were alive, so we can't really call none of them the greatest. But some might argue that Jesus also never really achieved much while he was on this planet, but most people believe he was the greatest that ever lived. That's an argument for another day.

All in all, I believe there's no greatest African/black person. They all contributed to black history and were icons. cool

Edited.

Hotep!
nkrumah lai good but mixed it up with bad legacy. the reason why you have so many African president wanting To become life president is because of nkrumah he was their mentor he tried to do it that is one the reason Africa is backward today, i go for Mandela and my dad.please don't mention Jesus in things you need to next time.

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by solomon111(m): 11:00am On Dec 13, 2013
I'm tired of all these mandela stories.
The guy's 'heroism' was pecuilar to SA for fucck sakes.
How can someone then call him the greatest african?
Unlike mandela,Kwame Nkrumah was a pan-africanist and a friend of the great zik of africa.
Nkrumah is clearly the greater,but then i won't call him the greatest.

4 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by victorv12(m): 11:02am On Dec 13, 2013
Jamey Maxwell: Who the “F” iz Kwame Nkrumah?

You must be mad or completely r*tarded to have used the "F" word for Kwame Nkrumah.

Nkrumah was a great leader that fought tirelessly to eradicate colonial and imperial rule in Africa, for Africans to be liberated which includes your father. Use your Bleep*ing dead brain...he's an ideology, slowpoke!!

3 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Arosa(m): 11:05am On Dec 13, 2013
amiskurie:
LOL,HE GAVE UNA FESTAC cheesy ?

Silly question. Back to the topic I think Mandela is the greatest South African not African.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by voodoogangster(m): 11:05am On Dec 13, 2013
I wonder how one rates greatness cus if ghananian s ave cum to wake up and assume nkurumah as greater than Mandela its clear they meant in hieght bt not comparatively in achievement
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by EPOMA(m): 11:06am On Dec 13, 2013
Z3tdee: Kwame Nkrumah, the greatest African...

He is the greatest African leader ever , a visionary . Please me tell people here to go read about Kwame
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by fe32(m): 11:08am On Dec 13, 2013
Kwame Nkrumah

Thomas Sankara
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Shekson(m): 11:08am On Dec 13, 2013
The much publicised memorial service ladened wif a 'fake' interpreter and a 'flirting' US President.
Nelson's longevity gave him dis fame. If great 'non-violent' activists like 'Steve Bikko' among others also had the luxury of longevity, I doubt the 'greatness' element will still be attached to the violent activist.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by chucky234(m): 11:11am On Dec 13, 2013
vccghana: Please dont say what you dont know am living in Ghana there is no president in Ghana that has done half of what Nkrumah did for Ghana

You only heard what Ghanians wanted you to hear about Nkrumah, did they tell you that the fight against colonialism was a team work with people from outside the Gold Coast who had a western education.
Zik of Africa,Avan Ikoku, Macurlay,Sir Ahmadu Bello,Awo were all part of the fight against colonial rule and indepedence for Africa/Africans.
Madiba fought a different fight and was never power drunk as Nkrumah was before the coup, Nkrumah would be excited in his grave to have been compared to Madiba.

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Shekson(m): 11:12am On Dec 13, 2013
The independence of African countries is far greater than South Africa's apartheid. The influence of Nkrumah on the latter is highly worthy of note.
IMO, Kwame Nkrumah is the greatest African ever.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by solomon111(m): 11:14am On Dec 13, 2013
Mandela should be compared with the likes of ojukwu and awolowo.
Those three were fighting ethnic/national interests.
Nkrumah should be compared to the likes of azikiwe,sankara and even ghadaffi.
Those four were avid pan-africanists.
A pan-africanist is surely the greater.
It dosen't matter if 91 world leaders came to your burial of which atleast 15 of them were your adverseries not too long ago and came to pay an insincere respects.

4 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by chucky234(m): 11:15am On Dec 13, 2013
Shekson: The much publicised memorial service ladened wif a 'fake' interpreter and a 'flirting' US President.
Nelson's longevity gave him dis fame. If great 'non-violent' activists like 'Steve Bikko' among others also had the luxury of longevity, I doubt the 'greatness' element will still be attached to the violent activist.
Longevity has nothing to do with a man's legacy, Lurther Martin Jr and Malcom X both lived below 40yrs yet we remember them everyday even many years after their death.
Madiba's legacy is untouchable,not Nkrumah can.

4 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Orikinla(m): 11:16am On Dec 13, 2013
Mandela was not a saint.
He could not even stay married to one woman.
And he only ruled independent South Africa more out of sympathy for him and the guilty conscience of white rulers.

Only an intellectually reta-rded person will say Madiba Nelson Mandela was the greatest African leader ever.
Léopold Sédar Senghor the Senegalese poet, politician, and cultural theorist and the first president of Senegal and first African elected as a member of the Académie française and father of Negritude achieved more for Senegal and Africa than Nelson Mandela. There were other great African leaders who achieved more for Pan African Renaissance than Madiba.

Generally, I regard the international men and women of God in Africa as the greatest Africans, from Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye to Reverend Dr. Obiora Ezekiel is the General Overseer of Christian Pentecostal Mission International and his anointed wife Rev. Dr. Mercy Ezekiel.
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by adesiku(m): 11:17am On Dec 13, 2013
psalm68: why didnt over 91 heads of state attended nkrumah's burial?
Chikenah
Oga, I fear u o,see the bomb wey u throw, u be boko haram? Just askin
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by phone: 11:17am On Dec 13, 2013
laykhorn: both were great men. They all contributed. If i am to choose the greatest blackman for the black struggle, i think i'll settle for Martin Luther King jnr or Malcolm x even though both never lived to age 40 and had lower achievement to show for it. THEY died of their struggles

i agree with u, both men were great nd we are talkin abt dia contribution.let leave who's d greatest.
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by miqos02(m): 11:20am On Dec 13, 2013
psalm68: why didnt over 91 heads of state attended nkrumah's burial?
Chikenah
politics,propaganda and "we dont want to be left out syndrome".
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by cosfrac: 11:22am On Dec 13, 2013
Who is Nkruma to Nnamdi Azikiwe of Africa talk more of Mandela

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Originalsly: 11:23am On Dec 13, 2013
vccghana: i think Kwame Nkrumah is more influential than mandela

I think Mandela is more inspirational than Nkrumah. @topic...I think it is divisive and would undermine their importance to Africa.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Dhelake: 11:26am On Dec 13, 2013
Its funny how some people compare .... Mandela had started fighting apartheid even before Ghana gained independence

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:31am On Dec 13, 2013
I think we are making a big mistake here. Both of them were great. The question, "who is greater", shouldn't come up because they operated in different climes. Yes, they fought the rule by the Europeans, Nkrumah sat with them to fight for his people, whereas Mandela couldn't because of apartheid. If, say, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Azikiwe, Macaulay or Bello had been South African, he would have fought apartheid and may even have spent more years in prison or hanged.
But if you get to academic line, African philosophy in particular, you would realize how great Kwame Nkrumah was in his philosophical stand. He was the person that said, "seek ye first the political power and every other thing shall be added unto you."
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by solomon111(m): 11:35am On Dec 13, 2013
cosfrac: Who is Nkruma to Nnamdi Azikiwe of Africa talk more of Mandela
Nkrumah and azikiwe were the same.
Nkrumah was a major factor in the independence of many african countries including Nigeria.
Mandela was a terrorist cum freedom fighter that fought for black southafricans only.
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Quatermaine: 11:44am On Dec 13, 2013
Kwame Nkrumah vs Nelson Mandela..

Interesting debate.

Seriously, I see no need for comparisön between these Great men because they both did well, infact very well but not as much as Jesus!.

They both set goals and did everything within their powers to achieve their goals.

But since, the topic has been brought up, I must say that I have to chip in..

Kwame Nkrumah.. To be frank, I never knew this Man existed until today. I did some diggings into his life and discovered that Kwame's work can not be compared with that of Nelson..

Do You know what Apartheid means?. Apartheid refers to the a Political system and social system in S.A, in which only white people had full political rights and people of other races, especially black people, were forced to go to seperate schools, live in seperate areas. This is similar to the osu caste system in ancient nigeria where some set of people where refered to as osu and unnecessarily discriminated. Madiba fought against it, He did not fight to make the blacks takeover, He fought to make both parties EQUAL. Madiba did that.

So how then will you now compare "fighting for the independence of your country and contributing immensely to the development of your country' with what Madiba did.. Lol

I will end with some biblical quotes which explains that Madiba did greater works than Kwame.
*'The enemies of a man are that of his own household'. When you conquer them, you become great. Madiba fought against something in his home, which was not against outsiders (colonial masters etc) and he won. What he was fighting was internal.
*'for he is our peace, who hath made both one and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us'. Madiba did the above for south africa.

Madiba > Kwame.
I rest my case.
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Okijajuju1(m): 11:48am On Dec 13, 2013
Quatermaine: Kwame Nkrumah vs Nelson Mandela..

Interesting debate.

Seriously, I see no need for comparisön between these Great men because they both did well, infact very well but not as much as Jesus!.

They both set goals and did everything within their powers to achieve their goals.

But since, the topic has been brought up, I must say that I have to chip in..

Kwame Nkrumah.. To be frank, I never knew this Man existed until today. I did some diggings into his life and discovered that Kwame's work can not be compared with that of Nelson..

Do You know what Apartheid means?. Apartheid refers to the a Political system and social system in S.A, in which only white people had full political rights and people of other races, especially black people, were forced to go to seperate schools, live in seperate areas. This is similar to the osu caste system in ancient nigeria where some set of people where refered to as osu and unnecessarily discriminated. Madiba fought against it, He did not fight to make the blacks takeover, He fought to make both parties EQUAL. Madiba did that.

So how then will you now compare "fighting for the independence of your country and contributing immensely to the development of your country' with what Madiba did.. Lol

I will end with some biblical quotes which explains that Madiba did greater works than Kwame.
*'The enemies of a man are that of his own household'. When you conquer them, you become great. Madiba fought against something in his home, which was not against outsiders (colonial masters etc) and he won. What he was fighting was internal.
*'for he is our peace, who hath made both one and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us'. Madiba did the above for south africa.

Madiba > Kwame.
I rest my case.

What the f|uck did Jesus do other than come to earth, piss off the Jews and the Romans, commited suicide and asked his followers to turn into pseudo cannibals to enter into his kingdom..

Please we are talking about real men who changed the course of history, not fairy tales..
Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by JeffPhoenix(m): 11:49am On Dec 13, 2013
chucky234: Allow those Ghanians to keep reasoning with their anu§ instead of their God given brain, Zik of Africa was far above Nkrumah whose only aim was to enslave Ghanians the moment he got hold of power.
Madiba had a heart you can only witness in fictional movies or novels,a man who sacrisfied his youth to firmly stood for what he believed in.
Only Fela Anikulapo Kuti come close,bravest of men.
the words of an ignorant fool who hasnt learned anythin after readin through all the comments.... if you do not know abt Nkrumah just shut the Bleep up and let the scholars debate on it!!!... I respect Mandela and Nkrumah alot and therefore will not compare both of them as they are both Great Africans!! the reason why some people may say Mandela was greater might be cause they feel the situation in his country brought the brave out of him making him do all he did... he was courageous, strong enough to withstand time in prison ans still achieve his dream, Nkrumah was also jailed, released and did what he wanted to do but mind you... he was veeeery instrumental in the freedom of other african countries... he might have mismanaged our funds at a point but that will not cloud his good deeds!!!... The both of them were great men and would be celebrated for ever!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by sakaguchi(m): 11:49am On Dec 13, 2013
On a serious note, we are doing ourselves great disservice in trying to phatom out the best from these duo. Why? Is their not enough room for several Africans to stand as best in the podium of history.
I really don't know much about Nkrumah, my apologies but the little I know about him shows him to be a great leader albeit his not so pleasant end.
Secondly, the argument of the greatest african with these 2 as contenders would never surface in Tunisia, Morocco or Libya.
Let's call africa the black world. If that is true, then I will give the greatest africans to be :
W. E. B Du Bois
Nnamdi Azikwe
Desmond Tutu
Ahmadu Bello
Nelson Mandela
Kwame Nkrumah
Obafemi Awolowo
Robert Mugabe
Kamuzu Banda
Malcolm X
Martin Luther King
And all the the champions of the black race who paid the ultimate price for the struggle.

N.B this list is in no particular order.

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Judek2(m): 11:51am On Dec 13, 2013
Shut up.. Nnamdi Azikiwe was the.greatest African ever liveth.

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by AreaFada2: 11:51am On Dec 13, 2013
MajeMedia: Mandela's victory was the last page in a book of self determination started by Nkrumah.
Nkrumah's mismanagement of Ghana stains his legacy where as Mandela's is spotless.

What was called mismanagement by Osagyefo was part of the money he used to support Freedom fight in many countries.

Of course Ghanaians (like other people) didn't quite like their money being used to help others.

Sure Mandela had to deal with extra-ordinary circumstances BUT he got the support of people like Oliver Thambo, Walter Sisulu, Chris Hani et al, Nigeria, all Africa and some other countries in the fight.

Whereas Nkrumah, Zik, Awolowo, Kenyatta, Njoma, Boigny etc had little outside support and had to be pioneers.

Nkrumah also did not inherit a sophisticated economy with a good technological know-how like Mandela.

I think Nkrumah is just a bit ahead.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 13, 2013
Okija_juju:

What the f|uck did Jesus do other than come to earth, piss off the Jews and the Romans, commited suicide and asked his followers to turn into pseudo cannibals to enter into his kingdom..

Please we are talking about real men who changed the course of history, not fairy tales..
you ar a big F.O.O.L!!!

4 Likes

Re: Ghanaian - Nkrumah Is Greater Than Mandela by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 13, 2013
Was in kwame Nkrumah pack some time ago and the orator told me that it is common knowledge that the CIA killed Nkrumah.

American's didnt like his 'independent idea' and he was also getting close top the Russians.

If there is gonna be a revolution in Africa, its the Nkrumah spirit that can steer it not Mandela's.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Turkish Space Agency Says Earthquakes Can Be Created Using Weapons In Space / Zelensky: Ukraine Can Fight Russia ‘For 10 Years’ / IIhan Omar, Says She’s Drawing Up Articles Of Impeachment Against Trump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.