Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:35 AM

Why Do Nigerians Blow Unnecessary Grammar? Tell Me - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Nigerians Blow Unnecessary Grammar? Tell Me (483 Views)

Facts That Will Blow Your Mind / Banning Of Beaf, Rhino5dm, Aisha And Others Unnecessary, Illogical Or Autocratic?. / Who Are The Worst Grammar Botchers In The House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerians Blow Unnecessary Grammar? Tell Me by yourstrulyblog(f): 1:18am On Dec 16, 2013
Just finished watching the Nollywood movie titled 'the last army' (Scroll up to watch the clip) and I still can't stop laughing (My sister must think I'm crazy). I didn't know that Kanayo O Kanayo was such a good actor. I'm sure some of you are wondering what this post is all about. Well, today's post is about "Why some Nigerians feel the need to 'blow' unnecessary grammar". Below, I have included some of the 'unnecessary grammar' that they used in the movie, and in bracket, I have typed what they should have said in very Simple English.

The last Army - 'Unnecessary Grammar'
•Like I was saying before the stupendous intrusion (Interruption) by my loquacious (talkative) brother
•Doctors would have done an 'escatiological' (Investigation)
•What seems to be the contentious bone of this fighting (What's the problem)
•Your child was seen exclusively defaecating on the flower (pooing)
•He has tampered with your medulla oblongata (brain)
•This is an executive indiscipline of the anus (diarrhoea)
Haba, habatically oooooo! I admire people who have a good command of the English language, but, don't you think there is a time and place to 'blow' grammar. For example, it's allowed in formal settings, and not when you and your mates are chatting. Nigerians love to show off ooooooo. Well, I enjoyed the movie, I'm not going to lie.

Some 'Unncessary grammar' I have heard in some 'normal' conversations
•You are my Carica Papaya - Why can't you say Paw Paw?
•Don't open that buccal cavity of yours - Why can't you say, don't open that mouth of yours?
•I want to establish contact - Why can't you say you want to get to know me?
•Stop masticating your food - Why can't you say, stop chewing your food?
LOL

I remember listening to one of Patrick Obiahagbon's speeches. That man's English can give you cluster headaches ooooo. Once, he said 'Epileptic Nepotism'. Yes, we know what epilepsy and nepotism mean, but, we don't know what epileptic nepotism means. Seriously, what's the link?

Thoughts?
For more, visit http://yourstrulyblogposts..co.uk/2013/12/the-okoye-brothers-were-definitely.html

(1) (Reply)

Are Prostitutes Entrepreneurs? / Which Part Of Your Body Do You Hate And Why? / Room & Palour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.