Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,485 members, 7,937,418 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 01:58 AM

Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya (14787 Views)

Mugabe's Lavish $1m 92nd Birthday Celebration-Photos / 92nd Birthday Cake Robert Mugabe Got From His Staff This Morning (Photos) / Donald Trump Vows– Will Lock Museveni And Mugabe In Prison If I Become President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Ghadafy(m): 5:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Akshow: 5:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
Nice one! Enough with the oyinbo discover R. Niger bull shait.

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Egbagirl(f): 5:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
shymexx:

How the heck can a place that the locals knew about for eons before David Livingstone was born be first discovered by him?

That was the same way a drunk Christopher Columbus with the aid of Moorish atlas discovered an America that had millions of people living there for thousands of years before Christopher Columbus' ancestors left the caves. undecided

I just love Mugabe - a true African hero.

Spot on! [size=5pt]how are you darling kiss kiss[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by steadynana: 5:11pm On Dec 20, 2013
still it doesn't change your mind set... undecided
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by mankand(m): 5:12pm On Dec 20, 2013
Eziachi: And he still retained his colonial names of Robert Gabriel? As a wise man, he should have started with his own name in his colonial cleansing campaign. A washed out and outdated dictator, who has ran out of idea.

After the renaming gimmick, he will jump into their brand new mercedes, wear their Amani suit and drink their crystal champagne for dinner. Who is fooling who?

But trust stupid Africans, they will fall for the old tricks of our dictators. Yeah, I remembered Mobutu changing his own name to Seseseko as well to make him ultra African but inflicted an un-mending damage to Africa forever.

Hey kid, shut the f*ck up as you know nothing about Robert Mugabe. He is doing the right thing and i really commend him for that. Africans need to start waking up again from our sleep.

I recommend everyone to get this documentary called "The Hidden Color part 1 and part 2" it have a lot to say about the African History before the Europeans came and started stealing everything. I cannot say much. If you want to learn your history, get a copy of the movie

Thanks you

2 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 20, 2013
Good for Zimbabwe! Its time African's started emancipating themselves from MENTAL SLAVERY......

4 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 20, 2013
When is that old fool going to exit this world and let his people breathe some fresh air abeg cry
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by officialmsright(f): 5:12pm On Dec 20, 2013
Noted
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Egbagirl(f): 5:13pm On Dec 20, 2013
mankand:

Hey kid, shut the f*ck up as you know nothing about Robert Mugabe. He is doing the right thing and i really commend him for that. Africans need to start waking up again from our sleep.

I recommend everyone to get this documentary called "The Hidden Color part 1 and part 2" it have a lot to say about the African History before the Europeans came and started stealing everything. I cannot say much. If you want to learn your history, get a copy of the movie

Thanks you

Totally unnecessary bro. We are simply discussing and airing our opinions. smiley
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 5:13pm On Dec 20, 2013
engineerd: Good for Zimbabwe! Its time African's started emancipating themselves from MENTAL SLAVERY......

Since oyibo left you all to govern yourselves, you have indeed made an awful mess of things. Mental slavery indeed undecided
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by DICKtator: 5:16pm On Dec 20, 2013
really respect this man and his anti colonial ideology

That is why the West keeps frustrating him and labellings him a beast

His shortcomings so far is his sit-tight syndrome which i fear whosoever takes after him may rubbish!!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Egbagirl(f): 5:16pm On Dec 20, 2013
pDude:

Since oyibo left you all to govern yourselves, you have indeed made an awful mess of things. Mental slavery indeed undecided

ahhahhhaa I totally feel you bro. We haven't done a really good job have we? It's a pity.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by grandstar(m): 5:17pm On Dec 20, 2013
Yeye dey smell! Victoria falls is one of Africas best tourism brands and if not for Mugabes oppressive rule it would be bringing in hundreds of millions if not more in tourist dollars. That new name is all hubris full of fire and brimstone but signifying nothing.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 5:17pm On Dec 20, 2013
Egba girl:

Spot on! [size=5pt]how are you darling kiss kiss[/size]

I'm good, love.

[size=3pt]I feel like a lil kid now, like life has just begun...blushing[/size] kiss
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 20, 2013
pDude:

Who da phuck is talking to you? Africans making Africa a shi*t hole is an entirely different story! And actually i dare say the "mental slavery" is somewhat related to the lack of development or progression on the continent....Anyways i have a deep hatred for WHITES in general....a bunch of mutated ALBINO monkeys!

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by LajaLaba: 5:22pm On Dec 20, 2013
mankand:

Thanks you
i think u are the kid here...Let him change his name first kiddo cool
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Egbagirl(f): 5:22pm On Dec 20, 2013
grandstar: Yeye dey smell! Victoria falls is one of Africas best tourism brands and if not for Mugabes oppressive rule it would be bringing in hundreds of millions if not more in tourist dollars. That new name is all hubris full of fire and brimstone but signifying nothing.

It might not mean much to foreigners but it will definitely mean a lot to the locals. It doesn't always have to be about the other people.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by justwise(m): 5:22pm On Dec 20, 2013
Eziachi: And he still retained his colonial names of Robert Gabriel? As a wise man, he should have started with his own name in his colonial cleansing campaign. A washed out and outdated dictator, who has ran out of idea.

After the renaming gimmick, he will jump into their brand new mercedes, wear their Amani suit and drink their crystal champagne for dinner. Who is fooling who?

But trust stupid Africans, they will fall for the old tricks of our dictators. Yeah, I remembered Mobutu changing his own name to Seseseko as well to make him ultra African but inflicted an un-mending damage to Africa forever.

1000+++ Likes
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Egbagirl(f): 5:23pm On Dec 20, 2013
shymexx:

I'm good, love.

[size=3pt]I feel like a lil kid now, like life has just begun...blushing[/size] kiss

ahhahahahaha smiley
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Egbagirl(f): 5:25pm On Dec 20, 2013
More information on the renaming:

Zimbabwe's ruling Zanu PF party plans to rename world renowned tourist attraction, Victoria Falls arguing it cannot continue to honour the legacy of colonialism and Queen Victoria, whom the falls are named after.

At its conference last week, President Robert Mugabe's party said it did not make sense to continue having colonial names and instead these should be replaced by local ones.
David Livingstone was not the first person to see the Victoria Falls, they (the falls) must be rebranded Mosi-Oa-Tunya

"Institutions bearing colonial names must be changed and be given indigenous names . . . School syllabuses must also change," the party resolved.

"We should teach our children about Mbuya Nehanda, Sekuru Kaguvi, General (Josiah Magama) Tongogara and other gallant fighters of our liberation struggle."

Victoria Falls was named after the British monarch, Queen Victoria by a missionary, David Livingstone, the first white person to set sight on one of the world's seven natural wonders.

At independence in 1980, Mugabe's government set out to rename most major towns and landmarks, although a number were left untouched.

A leader of an association of ex fighters for Zimbabwe's independence, Jabulani Sibanda was on Tuesday quoted saying there was no going back on the resolution.

"We still have institutions like Allan Wilson School, what an insult, considering what that man did to our country.

"David Livingstone was not the first person to see the Victoria Falls, they (the falls) must be rebranded Mosi-Oa-Tunya. We have soldiers living at KG (King George) VI (Barracks)," he thundered.
"How can we have our barracks continue to be named after a foreign king?"

But there are fears this could have a negative effect on tourism, at a time the country is desperate for foreign earnings.

But a belligerent Sibanda maintained that if European tourists want to see the legacy of Queen Victoria "her grave is there in England and they are free to do so. grin grin grin grin Very soon they would be landing at Robert Mugabe International Airport".

Some in Mugabe's party have for long called for radical action to rid the country of its colonial past, but have surprisingly been stopped by the country's 89 year old leader.

A lobby group within Zanu PF once wanted to have the remains of Cecil John Rhodes exhumed from the Matopos Hills and thrown into a river.

Before independence from Britain in 1980, Zimbabwe was called Rhodesia, after Rhodes.

Another group wanted the removal of David Livingstone's statue from the Victoria Falls, but again their efforts came to nothing.

More recently, the government tried to rename all schools with colonial names after what it terms liberation war heroes, but this failed spectacularly and it was forced to abandon the plan.

Read the original article on Theafricareport.com : Zimbabwe to rename Victoria Falls in anti-colonial name bid | Southern Africa
Follow us: @theafricareport on Twitter | theafricareport on Facebook

http://www.theafricareport.com/Southern-Africa/zimbabwe-to-rename-victoria-falls-in-anti-colonial-name-bid.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tar-home+%28The+Africa+Report.com+-+Latest+news%29&utm_content=FaceBook
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by prettyboi1(m): 5:25pm On Dec 20, 2013
I just love Mugabe a lot. Cheers to Zimbabwe ...God Bless nigeria.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by justwise(m): 5:26pm On Dec 20, 2013
mankand:

Thanks you

Purely because you know nothing apart from swearing.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by justwise(m): 5:27pm On Dec 20, 2013
pretty_boi: I just love Mugabe a lot. Cheers to Zimbabwe ...God Bless nigeria.

When will he change his English name to an African name?
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Symphony007: 5:30pm On Dec 20, 2013
Robert mugabe is so anti colonialist that he always wears suits, why does'nt he get rid of them and start dressing like his ancestors. He is so anti colonialist,he speaks perfect english. Why does'nt he banned the english language in zimbabwe and he and his people start communicating with their mother tougue. He hates the west so much but it is their pounds and dollars that is now being used as legal tender in his inflation ridden country. This guy is just old,confused and looking for attention. No matter what he names the falls is his buisness, the world will always know it has victoria falls.

2 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by justwise(m): 5:35pm On Dec 20, 2013
Symphony007: Robert mugabe is so anti colonialist that he always wears suits, why does'nt he get rid of them and start dressing like his ancestors. He is so anti colonialist,he speaks perfect english. Why does'nt he banned the english language in zimbabwe and he and his people start communicating with their mother tougue. He hates the west so much but it is their pounds and dollars that is now being used as legal tender in his inflation ridden country. This guy is just old,confused and looking for attention. No matter what he names the falls is his buisness, the world will always know it has victoria falls.

1000 +++ Likes
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by prettyboi1(m): 5:36pm On Dec 20, 2013
edoyad: While I am against the oppressive Govt of Mugabe and his eZANU PF puppets, I'm totally for the renaming of those falls.
Please stop believing everything you see/hear in the news (especially the western media). Mugabe is not "oppressive". He just refuses to be a puppet to the ever-wanting to control west & so they always look for easy chances to blackmail him.

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Egbagirl(f): 5:37pm On Dec 20, 2013
pretty_boi:
Please stop believing everything you see/hear in the news (especially the western media). Mugabe is not "oppressive". He just refuses to be a puppet to the ever-wanting to control west & so they always look for easy chances to blackmail him.

He himself might not be oppressive but we cannot deny the fact that some of his policies have directly and indirectly oppressed many Zimbabweans. I respect Uncle Bob but I also disagree with some of his policies.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:42pm On Dec 20, 2013
Back in those days in secondary school. We were told that Mungo Park discovered River Niger. Also Oral tradition have it that Yoruba people have knowledge about this River. The Yoruba people call it Odo Oya though I dont know what other tribe call it.

I have always criticized this colonial name. How could people have zero knowledge about this spot. The credit to this place was given to a colonian man who did nothing without the help of people around. Africa should rise again and struggle for this freedom. We and our children needs to be freed from this eurocentric oppression.

India made a great move pushing English language at the bay. Yes they were colonized but put themselves first. That is why Hindi is the official language before holding English. But what do we got today in our societies. My language is highly discriminated as a vernacular on my own soil. We were stopped from speaking our mother tongue. And here they gave us a foreign language.

Fela said it in his Song titled 'Teacher Teacher Dont Teach Me Nonsense'. The song speak of cultural identity which we have losted as a nation. Go to other countries in the world, their culture is their priority. They set a standard on how to life in relation with their ancestral tradition. But what do we got in Nigeria and other African societies, we neglect what belong to us and wore the thing of another man.

Take it from the song titled 'why black man dey suffer' by fela. It is said in this song that black man suffer because we took what doesn't belong to us. Our culture is now extinct and we took the culture which isn't ours and we didn't understand. With this our children forgets their cultural heritage and identity......

Africa must rise against every form of oppression. Thanks and kudos to president Mugabe.

2 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by prettyboi1(m): 5:42pm On Dec 20, 2013
Symphony007: Robert mugabe is so anti colonialist that he always wears suits, why does'nt he get rid of them and start dressing like his ancestors. He is so anti colonialist,he speaks perfect english. Why does'nt he banned the english language in zimbabwe and he and his people start communicating with their mother tougue. He hates the west so much but it is their pounds and dollars that is now being used as legal tender in his inflation ridden country. This guy is just old,confused and looking for attention. No matter what he names the falls is his buisness, the world will always know it has victoria falls.
Folks like you just never see anything good in yourselves cos you're defaultly,unknowingly & unconsciously programmed to be slaves & look down on your own things as black folks while worshipping your white masters. Must Mugabe stop wearing suits before he's taken seriously as a man against "white supremacy?"...if that's what he feels comfortable wearing,then focus on the message & not the messenger.

4 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by justwise(m): 5:45pm On Dec 20, 2013
pretty_boi:

You know next to zero about Mugabe and Zimbabwe. Stop reading Herald and listening to Mugabe's recycled speech

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Yazmin: 5:46pm On Dec 20, 2013
He should change his name from Robert to musingwahimimpolo..meaning the one who conquered the queen.
The name 'Robert' is colonial....
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by theripper3: 5:47pm On Dec 20, 2013
A doddering old fool majoring on the minor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

100 Days Of War On Gaza: Israel Kills 23,968 Palestinians / Picture Of Obama Playing Basketball / Iranian News Censors Michelle Obama’s Oscar Gown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.