Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,101 members, 7,939,447 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 05:49 AM

The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland (4290 Views)

I Repent From All Forms Of Tribalism And Bigotry Today / Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy / Has Tribalism On Nairaland Affected You Negatively? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by KiKatanga: 5:14pm On Dec 19, 2013
Lilimax:
You shall not make any markings in your flesh
nor print any mark upon your body says the Scripture smiley.

It also says you may not wear clothing woven from different threads...
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by papparatzzi2013: 5:16pm On Dec 19, 2013
Lilimax:
Not really but they'll always tell you the part Yorubas played against
the Igbos during the Biafran civil war?
I choose to believe or not cos my life is moving forward.
It's been 43years since after the civil war and a lot have changed.
I have nothing against the Yorubas and I have a lot of them as friends.

So, no shaking cool.

That is subtle indoctrination against the Yorubas. The truth is , I doubt whether any parent in Yorubaland mentions the war to their children. All what we learnt about the war are what we read up.

Igbos need to respect other before anyone can take them serious and respect them.

Yorubas don't get to the tip on time but once they are there, that is the end.

1 Like

Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:16pm On Dec 19, 2013
Ki-Katanga:

Who respects any Nigerians? Squabbling between tribes while most of the population goes hungry.

We need to wake up, and grow up.

Tribalism is quintessentially part of human consciousness. That's what makes us all human. So you can't stop it except you're superficial and pretentious because we're all tribal people. However, the only thing you can do is to use the negatives about it and turn them into positives, by maximising certain aspects of it. Also, mutual respect and territorial integrity are important. That was how Europe turned tribalism into industrial revolution. And that's something the African mind can't dissect because we're too dumb and superficial. You can't change something that's part of you - just accept it.

Also, Europeans still take jibes at one another and I can always cite how England and Scotland go at it all the time. Heck, during the world cup draw, when the public were asked to vote what stage England would get to at the world. About 10% said; "first round." And Gary Lineker joked about it that the 10% are definitely Scots. That's how it goes.
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by papparatzzi2013: 5:19pm On Dec 19, 2013
shymexx:

Bruv, I remember my first day on nl. That was Jan. 2012.

Just because I said: "I'm Yoruba" - and I had Epe-Ijebu on my profile. The Igbo's attacked me and I still remember "Onlytruth" was the first to attack me, hence why I'll NEVER forgive him. That's one guy I'll like to slap with the hand-of-god and that's on everything.

The whole thing was just a tad bit strange. It was like a "WTF?" moment. Nigerians attacking me because I said something about my ethnicity. Then, I decided to stop posting for a while and took time out to study the forum. Got used to the terrain, till I discovered a way to get back at these blockheads. grin

I joined NL in 2006. When the igbos started the nonsense around 2008/9. I don't use to comment and most people do. It got to a level they felt they had monopoly of taunting. For a whole 2years, I did not pass a single comment on this section. I will just go to sport section jejely, until when everybody felt enough is enough.

Now they are now whining and complaining about NL.

The only language they understand is violence and the only law they fear most is the law of reciprocity. I now understand why they fear the Hausas.
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 19, 2013
Lilimax:
You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh
nor print any mark upon your body says the Scripture smiley.

Darn!! How about scars and surgeries? angry

That was in the medieval era. We're in the 21st century, hun

There are many pastors out there with tats. grin
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by KiKatanga: 5:21pm On Dec 19, 2013
shymexx:

Tribalism is quintessentially part of human consciousness. That's what makes us all human. So you can't stop it except you're superficial and pretentious because we're all tribal people. However, the only thing you can do is to use the negatives about it and turn them into positives, by maximising certain aspects of it. Also, mutual respect and territorial integrity are important. That was how Europe turned tribalism into industrial revolution. And that's something the African mind can't dissect because we're too dumb and superficial. You can't change something that's part of you - just accept it.

Also, Europeans still take jibes at one another and I can always cite how England and Scotland go at it all the time. Heck, during the world cup draw, when the public were asked to vote what stage England would get to at the world. About 10% said; "first round." And Gary Lineker joked about it that the 10% are definitely Scots. That's how it goes.

The English and the Scots and the French and Belgians have a friendly rivalry. They co-exist, they work together, inter-marry and are simply whichever country you were born in.

African tribalism leads to violence, wars and prejudice. It's more spiteful and pernicious than anything in Europe (other than Serbia & Croatia).
It's stupid it's backward and counter-productive.
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 19, 2013
papparatzzi2013:

I joined NL in 2006. When the igbos started the nonsense around 2008/9. I don't use to comment and most people do. It got to a level they felt they had monopoly of taunting. For a whole 2years, I did not pass a single comment on this section. I will just go to sport section jejely, until when everybody felt enough is enough.

Now they are now whining and complaining about NL.

Bruv, Igbo's had the first-half of last year. They won.

It got so bad that I had to move to the romance section. grin

But Yoruba's are winning now. I believe Yoruba's woke up after Chinua Achebe's book and the subsequent attack on Wole Soyinka woke everyone up. And since then, it has been a perfect winning streak for the Yoruba's. grin
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by madamoringo(f): 5:23pm On Dec 19, 2013
Lilimax: grin
Take it easy bro.
Just know that :
-Anyi bu ndi Chukwu goziri agozi hence the envy and bitterness towards us.
-Chideraa, odego- No man can erase this fact.

Shalom!

Ibos are 'god blessed'? Hence, that is the reason for the beating you get in Nigeria all the time? Who has been telling you people all these lies because I am sure you tell that girl of yours the same lies? When did God bless covetous people who because they were allowed into another man's house, it now became theirs? No, your hatred has nothing to do with any type of blessings but curses heaped on your own heads by your own self - take responsibility and don't bring God into everything. When ibos were killing the Sadaunna, Balewa, Okoti Eboh, Akintola, etc that was god blessing you? When Ojukwu was boasting about a war he would eventually run away from, that was god blessing you ibos? I think you are blessed with absence of common and uncommon sense - really!
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by papparatzzi2013: 5:25pm On Dec 19, 2013
madam_oringo:

Ibos are 'god blessed'? Hence, that is the reason for the beating you get in Nigeria all the time? Who has been telling you people all these lies because I am sure you tell that girl of yours the same lies? When did God bless covetous people who because they were allowed into another man's house, it now became theirs? No, your hatred has nothing to do with any type of blessings but curses heaped on your own heads by your own self - take responsibility and don't bring God into everything. When ibos were killing the Sadaunna, Balewa, Okoti Eboh, Akintola, etc that was god blessing you? When Ojukwu was boasting about a war he would eventually run away from, that was god blessing you ibos? I think you are blessed with absence of common and uncommon sense - really!

Let's tone it down a little bit. We are all trying to find a way forward and a departure from the past.
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by papparatzzi2013: 5:27pm On Dec 19, 2013
madam_oringo:

Let's tone it down a little bit. We are all trying to find a way forward and a departure from the past.

No one is envious of the ibos in anyway. There is nothing they can point to have ever achieved, that has not been achieved and surpassed by us. The problem is a mutual admiration that has festered into hatred.
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:27pm On Dec 19, 2013
Ki-Katanga:

The English and the Scots and the French and Belgians have a friendly rivalry. They co-exist, they work together, inter-marry and are simply whichever country you were born in.

African tribalism leads to violence, wars and prejudice. It's more spiteful and pernicious than anything in Europe (other than Serbia & Croatia).
It's stupid it's backward and counter-productive.

The bolded exemplifies how they were able to turn the negatives in tribalism into positives. They respect one another's territorial integrity and there's mutual respect. However, they're still tribal people and they're very proud of their tribal identity.

That's what separates them from Africans because Africans are always trying to be what they're not. Always trying to force the one-ness that isn't there. Just accept that the next man is different from you, respect him and learn to avoid trying to "dominate" - then he won't have a problem with you. Africans also need to know how to differentiate between nationality and identity.

1 Like

Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by papparatzzi2013: 5:29pm On Dec 19, 2013
shymexx:

Bruv, Igbo's have the first-half of last year. They won.

It got so bad that I had to move to the romance section. grin

But Yoruba's are winning now. I believe Yoruba's woke up after Chinua Achebe's book and the subsequent attack on Wole Soyinka woke everyone up. And since then, it has been a perfect winning streak for the Yoruba's. grin

2 things opened the eyes of the Yorubas, ou know us and our live and lets live mentality. They are:

1. The calling of lagos a no man's land
2. The nonsense book written by Achebe. I bought the book, read it and burnt it.

1 Like

Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 19, 2013
TribalEAST
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 19, 2013
Its the yuletide season and no one has deemed it necessary to open a thread for Xmas and New Year wishes in this section? Where is the love in wishing one another good tiding and joy?
Anyway,merry Xmas to you all in Advance. cool

2 Likes

Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by KiKatanga: 5:31pm On Dec 19, 2013
shymexx:

The bolded exemplifies how they were able to turn the negatives in tribalism into positives. They respect one another's territorial integrity and there's mutual respect. However, they're still tribal people and they're very proud of their tribal identity.

That's what separates them from Africans because Africans are always trying to be what they're not. Always trying to force the one-ness that isn't there. Just accept that the next man is different from you, respect him and learn to avoid trying to "dominate" - then he won't have a problem with you. Africans also need to know how to differentiate between nationality and identity.

Especially since the Nations were invented by the White men that the independence struggle was fought against.

Nigeria doesn't exist. Ghana doesn't exist, Kenya doesn't exist, even though the Wolof, the Igbo, the Akan, the Zulu do.

from Senegal to Kenya to South Africa, the lines on the map make no sense.

1 Like

Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by itsrandeeboi(m): 5:31pm On Dec 19, 2013
shymexx:

Like seriously? You know all this and you still choose to participate in the disgrace that goes on on this forum? True, there is always the predisposition to support people of your own tribe. But what goes on here on Nairaland are people going waaay out of their way to insult and make fun of people from another tribe. If someone is dumb enough to spout off at another tribe he is not from, ignore the person. It's when someone else responds that other people would feel inclined to join in and it becomes another thing entirely. You talk about mutual respect and territorial integrity. How about you encourage that instead of joining lowlifes without better things to talk about make fun of other people's tribes? Wouldn't that be a better way to engage energy spent bashing each other without any positive benefits at the end?
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by Lilimax(f): 5:33pm On Dec 19, 2013
madam_oringo:

All these are not necessary at this time. We're about putting things straight.
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by itsrandeeboi(m): 5:33pm On Dec 19, 2013
papparatzzi2013:

No one is envious of the ibos in anyway. There is nothing they can point to have ever achieved, that has not been achieved and surpassed by us. The problem is a mutual admiration that has festered into hatred.

You were making good but you kind of killed it with your second sentence. Some silly person can pick that up to start another round of pointless noise making.

3 Likes

Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by papparatzzi2013: 5:33pm On Dec 19, 2013
shymexx:

When a party does not have respect in its lexicon, the other party must use everything within its disposal to bring the other parry to its senses and to know that - respect is reciprocal.

You hate me, I will hate you back
You insult me, I will insult in multiple folds

That is law of reciprocity.

It is the survival of the fittest and smartest and elimination of the unfit.
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by Lilimax(f): 5:35pm On Dec 19, 2013
berem: Its the yuletide season and no one has deemed it necessary to open a thread for Xmas and New Year wishes in this section? Where is the love in wishing one another good tiding and joy?
Anyway,merry Xmas to you all in Advance. cool
You should have done so since you're led. Compliments of the season. smiley
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by dayokanu(m): 5:36pm On Dec 19, 2013

1 Like

Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 19, 2013
papparatzzi2013:

2 things opened the eyes of the Yorubas, ou know us and our live and lets live mentality. They are:

1. The calling of lagos a no man's land
2. The nonsense book written by Achebe. I bought the book, read it and burnt it.

The Lagos thing is what pisses me off the most, being the son of the soil. That's just unacceptable. I'll give my life and everything I've got to protect Lagos. That's how connected my people are to the city.

That book belongs to the bin. undecided
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by itsrandeeboi(m): 5:37pm On Dec 19, 2013
papparatzzi2013:

When a party does not have respect in its lexicon, the other party must use everything within its disposal to bring the other parry to its senses and to know that - respect is reciprocal.

Er, quick question, hope you don't mind, are you a Christian?
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:38pm On Dec 19, 2013
DerideGull:

jason123,

You are a regrettable omo ale. I do not deal with intellectually challenged dingbats such as you. At least, I have two arokes to flog.
Gull, do you know you are old, and should be reflecting on your past than the rubbish you do here?
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by papparatzzi2013: 5:38pm On Dec 19, 2013
itsrandeeboi:

You were making good but you kind of killed it with your second sentence. Some silly person can pick that up to start another round of pointless noise making.

You must either be new on NL or a passive member over time.

The gulf has been widened a lot over the years. Be rest assured, most people are not like that in real life. To some, is fun and it is a way of learning one or two things from both sides.

I am currently under ban by Afam, I careless though. If the moDs are really interested in the peace, they should create a thread for such.
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 19, 2013
Lilimax: You should have done so since you're led. Compliments of the season. smiley
You know I hate to open threads on this section. So many crazy people roam around the section seeking for who to pounce on. I rather send my greetings here. grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by manny4life(m): 5:38pm On Dec 19, 2013
Lilimax: grin
Take it easy bro.
Just know that :
-Anyi bu ndi Chukwu goziri agozi hence the envy and bitterness towards us.
-Chideraa, odego- No man can erase this fact.

Shalom!

I had to laugh at the last part, reminds me of a Nigerian movie

Oderaa, odesigo... grin grin grin

My sister, ife n'ine ikwuru bu eziokwu, ndi chi nyelu eze, onwegho ife mmadu ga'eme

@topic,

When I see some threads, I'm learning to just ignore them and move on. Tribalism exists on NL and NL only because it drives traffic, it's good for business, on the other hand, in reality, we're able to coexist amongst each other, reason why we've not killed ourselves. The best you can do is entertain it or stay away from it, but as for tribalism, it's come to stay on NL.

1 Like

Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by KiKatanga: 5:39pm On Dec 19, 2013
papparatzzi2013:

I don't think you understand. If you hate me I could hate you back. Or more easily, I could ignore you. Or alternatively I could show you that I respect you and all ow you to chose your own course of action.

If you insult me, I can insult you back, or I can say "I don't think that was necessary or productive", and walk away. Aggression doesn't have to be responded to with aggression, in fact it's almost always best when it isn't.
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 19, 2013
Ki-Katanga:

Especially since the Nations were invented by the White men that the independence struggle was fought against.

Nigeria doesn't exist. Ghana doesn't exist, Kenya doesn't exist, even though the Wolof, the Igbo, the Akan, the Zulu do.

from Senegal to Kenya to South Africa, the lines on the map make no sense.

Thanks, bruv. Till these people start accepting that Nigeria only exist on paper and it's just an appendage on the different ethnic nationalities that make up the country - there would always be bigotry. And it might lead to xenophobia soon as the population and intolerance grow.
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by papparatzzi2013: 5:39pm On Dec 19, 2013
itsrandeeboi:

Er, quick question, hope you don't mind, are you a Christian?

Yes I am.

Don't give me sermons here. I know the way to church and I know my pastor.

NL is a madhouse and just leave it at that.
Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 19, 2013
itsrandeeboi:

Like seriously? You know all this and you still choose to participate in the disgrace that goes on on this forum? True, there is always the predisposition to support people of your own tribe. But what goes on here on Nairaland are people going waaay out of their way to insult and make fun of people from another tribe. If someone is dumb enough to spout off at another tribe he is not from, ignore the person. It's when someone else responds that other people would feel inclined to join in and it becomes another thing entirely. You talk about mutual respect and territorial integrity. How about you encourage that instead of joining lowlifes without better things to talk about make fun of other people's tribes? Wouldn't that be a better way to engage energy spent bashing each other without any positive benefits at the end?

You don't see me on threads about Igboland, do you? That's territorial integrity.

And you'll never catch me cursing out an Igbo or Igbo's if they don't draw the first blood? - That's me being respectful.

Respect is reciprocal.

1 Like

Re: The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland by papparatzzi2013: 5:42pm On Dec 19, 2013
Ki-Katanga:

I don't think you understand. If you hate me I could hate you back. Or more easily, I could ignore you. Or alternatively I could show you that I respect you and all ow you to chose your own course of action.

If you insult me, I can insult you back, or I can say "I don't think that was necessary or productive", and walk away. Aggression doesn't have to be responded to with aggression, in fact it's almost always best when it isn't.

That has never helped on NL. That was the initial tactics before. It only emboldens the other party. But now, there is mutual respect. Before a thread is created about the other party, you will think twice , because it can degenerate to a level beyond words.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Goodluck Has Announced Himself As A Contestant In 2015 / CNN ‘kills’ Barack Obama [PHOTO] / Arabic On Nigerian Army Logo, Is Because Western Nigeria Is Not Part Of Nigeria

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.