Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,863 members, 7,945,757 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 05:33 AM

I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? (1087 Views)

Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? / I Agree With You As You Pray... / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by eagleeye2: 2:19pm On Dec 22, 2013
.How did God mandate the church to spend the money collected from tithe?
.If you just tithe because the Bible says so, do you care where the money goes? Or Doesn't matter to you whatever is done with the money?
.Must I tithe in a church? If yes, must it be my own Church/Denomination? If Yes, must it be in my own Parish/Branch?
.NB
Please let's discuss without insults.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by PastorKun(m): 2:36pm On Dec 22, 2013
Whilst tithing as instructed to the Jews is biblical and it was tithes of agricultural produce, tithing of money from income preached in churches today has NO biblical basis and it can at best be described as a fraudulent manipulation of scriptures.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by eagleeye2: 2:47pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pastor Kun: Whilst tithing as instructed to the Jews is biblical and it was tithes of agricultural produce, tithing of money from income preached in churches today has NO biblical basis and it can at best be described as a fraudulent manipulation of scriptures.
Pastor Kun, lets assume that the Biblical Tithes are monetised. Can you please re-phrase your answer...... I am interested in getting as many views as possible. Because we now have men turning themselves to "Untouchables" because of the obsene amount they control.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by larrymoore(m): 2:58pm On Dec 22, 2013
Since I don't tithe, my moni remains in my pocket.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by PastorKun(m): 2:59pm On Dec 22, 2013
eagle,eye:

Pastor Kun, lets assume that the Biblical Tithes are monetised. Can you please re-phrase your answer...... I am interested in getting as many views as possible. Because we now have men turning themselves to "Untouchables" because of the obsene amount they control.

The only instance God allowed the biblical tithe to be monetised in the bible was in the instance that if the place of worship was too far to carry thhe agric produce to physically. Even in this instance, God still insisted that the money be used to buy food stuffs and drinks to be consumed in the place of worship by the tither, his family and other less privilege folks. (Deut 14:22-29)

Deuteronomy 14:22-29

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by eagleeye2: 3:11pm On Dec 22, 2013
^^^^
So, Pastor Kun you are of the opinion that tithes brought to the house of God should be eaten by the Levites [AkA Priests and Pastors] who work in the Lord's Vineyard. And the widows and the poor should partake of these tithes.......? Does this summarize your point.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by GentleMimi: 3:15pm On Dec 22, 2013
Hello Mr Eagle..lol!
Anyway,to answer ur questions in my opinion and belief
*Malachi 3:10 is the major part of the bible that speaks about tithe and offering.I know people will condemn this portion of the bible b'cos its the old testament and Christ abolished the laws of Moses...good.But i ask,why do we still observe circumcision,baby dedication etc. All these are laws made before Christ was born.
''.....that there may be meat in my storehouse''. The priest in those days can be likened to the pastors now.The sincere ones should be catered for by the household of God.Unfortunately,many of them called themselves for the monetary benefits.
I wish i cld buttress my point with a portion from Apostle Paul's writeup where ( sorry,i cannot remember the portion now) he stated that he had blessed his brethren by prayers and it was not wrong of him to recieve physical gifts. Also,read 1st Corith 9:1-15..Paul spoke abt giving to the saints willingly.
*To a certain extent,yes. I was trained as an usher under RCCG so i'm very careful wif finances.I would be a liar if i said otherwise.But i cannot speak for other churches.RCCG has very articulate financial records and each month,auditors and financial officers carryout a nationwide remittance/financial record analysis.That was how i got to know abt the church finance.But if the pastor decides to do contrary,its left for God to judge him because i've done my part by obeying.
*As for giving tithe in ur church...''must'' is a strong word. Let God's spirit guide u. But the major point is that u NEVER give grudgingly! Pray on ur tithe and seed before giving it out. God will not eat ur money. It is ur ''act'' and ''faith'' he looks upon.

1 Like

Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by GentleMimi: 3:19pm On Dec 22, 2013
@ Pastor Kun,the people of old were farmers and animal rearers. It is still applicable today. If ur income is in form of cash,then tithe in cash. If ur income is in lifestock or vegetable,do likewise. There is no rule stating that u must pay in cash. Sometimes,it could be cumbersome.So conversion to cash may be easier to carry.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by eagleeye2: 3:29pm On Dec 22, 2013
Mimi, please let's study that portion of the Bible.

Malachi 3:10 New King James Version
10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this,” Says the L ORD of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it.
NB
The bolded says, "that there may be food (meat) in my house".
Now do you think that the portion was talking about money or agricultaral produce?
I think if it were money it could have said "that there may be silver or gold"........ that aside.....Are we not supposed to think of what these tithes we give are used for?
If we can question other religious practises that comes from the Law of moses, why can't we question how these tithes are used? Or is there anywhere it's written that tithes can be used by the Levites (priests) anyhow they deem fit?
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by PastorKun(m): 3:31pm On Dec 22, 2013
eagle,eye:
^^^^
So, Pastor Kun you are of the opinion that tithes brought to the house of God should be eaten by the Levites [AkA Priests and Pastors] who work in the Lord's Vineyard. And the widows and the poor should partake of these tithes.......? Does this summarize your point.

I am sorry Levites do not mean priests and pastors, that's a misconception. If Pastors truly believe they are the same as levites then they should not be allowed to own property like the levites in the bible.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by PastorKun(m): 3:37pm On Dec 22, 2013
GentleMimi: @ Pastor Kun,the people of old were farmers and animal rearers. It is still applicable today. If ur income is in form of cash,then tithe in cash. If ur income is in lifestock or vegetable,do likewise. There is no rule stating that u must pay in cash. Sometimes,it could be cumbersome.So conversion to cash may be easier to carry.

I am sorry dear saying tithe should be from income is mis representing God's word. God was very clear in his instruction when he said tithes should be from agric produce. In those days people were involved in several other professions which they earned income from and God never asked of a tithe of these other income. Stretching tithes to mean monetary income is simply adding to God's word and this is a sin. That asides tithing has been done away with with the mosaic laws. Christians are not under the law of which tithing is a part of.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by GentleMimi: 3:38pm On Dec 22, 2013
eagle,eye:
Mimi, please let's study that portion of the Bible.

Malachi 3:10 New King James Version
10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this,” Says the L ORD of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it.
NB
The bolded says, "that there may be food (meat) in my house".
Now do you think that the portion was talking about money or agricultaral produce?
I think if it were money it could have said "that there may be silver or gold"........ that aside.....Are we not supposed to think of what these tithes we give are used for?
If we can question other religious practises that comes from the Law of moses, why can't we question how these tithes are used? Or is there anywhere it's written that tithes can be used by the Levites (priests) anyhow they deem fit?
Okay,let us ask the question. What is the tithe used for?
''...that there may be meat im my house''. As i said above,the people of old were into livestock and plant farming.They didn't work in offices and companies. Payment was usually made with livestock and food produce alongside physical money.The ''food in the storehouse'' being referred to was for the Priests of God because they were instructed to face their priestly duties,hence,the responsiblity of the people to cater for their needs.
The same applies to REAL men of God. It is the ''produce'' brought to the church by members (WILLINGLY) that serves as their rewards, for them to face their pastorly duties squarely.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by eagleeye2: 3:40pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pastor Kun:

I am sorry Levites do not mean priests and pastors, that's a misconception. If Pastors truly believe they are the same as levites then they should not be allowed to own property like the levites in the bible.
Okay. Then we can say that the nearest to the Levites are the Catholic Priests, because majority of them don't own properties.... Is that a safe assertion Pastor Kun?
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by eagleeye2: 3:46pm On Dec 22, 2013
GentleMimi:
''...that there may be meat im my house''. As i said above,the people of old were into livestock and plant farming.They didn't work in offices and companies. Payment was usually made with livestock and food produce alongside physical money.The ''food in the storehouse'' being referred to was for the Priests of God because they were instructed to face their priestly duties,hence,the responsiblity of the people to cater for their needs.
The same applies to REAL men of God. It is the ''produce'' brought to the church by members (WILLINGLY) that serves as their rewards, for them to face their pastorly duties squarely.
I believe the REAL Men of God includes those that are floating 'Private Empires' from the produce brought WILLINGLY by their members.
I think the Priests of old were not allowed to own properties as Pastor Kun pointed out.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by GentleMimi: 3:48pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pastor Kun:

I am sorry dear saying tithe should be from income is mis representing God's word. God was very clear in his instruction when he said tithes should be from agric produce. In those days people were involved in several other professions which they earned income from and God never asked of a tithe of these other income. Stretching tithes to mean monetary income is simply adding to God's word and this is a sin. That asides tithing has been done away with with the mosaic laws. Christians are not under the law of which tithing is a part of.
(@ your last statement) really? Who ever said christians are not under the law of tithes? Pls ,scripture reference,if u may.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by eagleeye2: 3:57pm On Dec 22, 2013
GentleMimi:
(@ your last statement) really? Who ever said christians are not under the law of tithes? Pls ,scripture reference,if u may.
Romans 10:4, says:
"Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes,"
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by eagleeye2: 4:03pm On Dec 22, 2013
Galatians 2:16
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pastor Kun: Whilst tithing as instructed to the Jews is biblical and it was tithes of agricultural produce, tithing of money from income preached in churches today has NO biblical basis and it can at best be described as a fraudulent manipulation of scriptures.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 22, 2013
Interesting.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Dec 22, 2013
eagle,eye:

Romans 10:4, says:
"Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes,"
I like the way you dissect things.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by fr3do(m): 4:15pm On Dec 22, 2013
U can give one-tenth of your earnings directly to the poor if you can,the church's work is to distribute properly.
I don't have any scriptural verse to backup that.
Don't ask
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Dec 22, 2013
eagle,eye:
Galatians 2:16
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Very good.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by eagleeye2: 4:20pm On Dec 22, 2013
In Mark 12:32-33 ,
And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.
NB
Mimi, does this Bible verses convince you that we are not under the law of Moses as Christains?
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by PastorKun(m): 6:14pm On Dec 22, 2013
eagle,eye:

Okay. Then we can say that the nearest to the Levites are the Catholic Priests, because majority of them don't own properties.... Is that a safe assertion Pastor Kun?

The levitical priesthood as been done away with and there is no parallel to it in christianity. In christianity, all believers are priests with one high priest(Jesus Christ)
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by PastorKun(m): 6:16pm On Dec 22, 2013
GentleMimi:

You may wish to read hebrews 7:5-19, tithe was not only anulled for christians there, it was described as a weak, useless and unprofitable practise.

Hebrews 7:5-19

King James Version (KJV)

5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

7 And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.

8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.

10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

13 For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

Kindly note that it was the same commandment being spoken of in verse verse that was anulled in verse 18. smiley

2 Likes

Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 22, 2013
eagle,eye:
.If you just tithe because the Bible says so, do you care where the money goes? Or Doesn't matter to you whatever is done with the money?
.Must I tithe in a church? If yes, must it be my own Church/Denomination? If Yes, must it be in my own Parish/Branch?
.NB

This is a crucial question indeed. A question every tithe-payer should ask except most of us allow sentiments block our reasoning. WHAT DO CHURCHES & PASTORS DO WITH MONEY FROM TITHE? And don't tell me its used for running the church. Tithe is meant to be a way of providing for the needy. How have Pastors channeled these monies into providing for the needy?

1 Like

Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 22, 2013
GentleMimi:

You still did not answer the question. WHAT IS TITHE BEING USED FOR NOW IN OUR CHURCHES (RCCG for instance)?". Telling us what its supposed to be used for doesnt answer it.
Re: I Agree Tithing Is Biblical - So Where Does The Money Go? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:25pm On Dec 22, 2013
eagle,eye:
.NB

Forgive me if I do not answer your question directly but try to relate to the matter at hand from a different perspective. The reason is simple: there is no question on tithe that has not been aswered on this thread. The problem is finding the answers. For now, let me share this thought on tithing:

Tithing is a system of giving that is rooted in the Old Covenant God had with Israel. Today, Christians operate under a new covenant and are not required to tithe. Simple.

The argument that we hear is that Abraham tithed, we are children of Abraham and we should tithe. The simple response to that is that we are Children of Abraham only as we imitate the faith Abraham had in God to be justified by faith. Abraham was not justified by law or by works and so we cannot say that tithing is something Abraham did to be justified. Rather he was justified by faith and we all that identify with this faith are children of Abraham and are justified likewise (read Galatians 3).

Now the reason the likes of Pastor Kun mentioned tithing under the law above is because prior to the law, God never spoke about the tithe. If Abraham tithed, it was based on two things: 1. Observing a cultural practice of his time that required the giving of a tenth of a war spoils to kings and priests. 2. A prophetic action, like many of his actions were, to point us to the greatness of Melchizedek's priesthood, a priesthood like that of Christ. Hebrew 7. If Melchizedek priesthood is great and greater than Aaron, then Jesus' priesthood is great and greater than Aaron and the Jews should do away with Aaron and identify with Jesus (Another reason no one should tithe today as tithing is the system that sustains the Levithical/Aaronic order. If it is done away, tithing is done away likewise).

The only place where God mentioned Tithes is under the law. He defines his tithes in Leviticus 27:30-33 and this definition shows that they are agricultural products that includes plants and husbandary that must be taken from the Jews land to be given to Levites. If the tithes you pay do not conform to these three things from that definition, you are not paying God's holy tithes rather you are giving something that stems from the doctrines and manipulations of men; and it will amount to the biggest fraud of all times. Three things informs a tithe being the real tithe:

1. They must be food: Agric products or Husbandary, and not salary or monetary increase.
2. They must be taken from the land God gave to Israel and not from a Nigerian farm.
3. They must be given to a Levite and not a Pastor.

I really hope this helps you.

Thanks.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

A Sample Of What Happens When God Rends The Heavens! / Is It Wrong To Name A Child JESUS?? / Archbishop Margaret Idahosa Looking Fabulous With Daughter-in-law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.