Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,312 members, 7,881,143 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:17 PM

Nigeria Never Approached Me, Their Scouts Are Bad —agbonlahor - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Never Approached Me, Their Scouts Are Bad —agbonlahor (2383 Views)

Gabriel Agbonlahor Has Man United Red Card Rescinded / Gabriel Agbonlahor: Nigeria Never Approached Me: / Football Trial, Agent And Scouts Contact Abroad. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Never Approached Me, Their Scouts Are Bad —agbonlahor by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 22, 2013
ASTON Villa striker, Gabriel Agbonlahor, says he has never been asked by Nigerian football officials to play for the country and as a result, he could not have dumped the Super Eagles.
Born to Yoruba parents - Dr Samson Agbonlahor and Mrs Mary Agbonlahor from Ondo State - Gabriel Agbonlahor told kick offnigeria.com on Friday that the only family influence on his career was his dad from whom he would have taken advice had Nigeria approached him.
“For me there was nothing to consider,” Agbonlahor responded when asked if he would have considered playing for Nigeria.
“Neither my agent nor my club have ever had any formal contact from the Nigerian FA inviting me to play for the country or enquiring if I was even interested that I’ve ever been aware of.”
“So when England selected me in the senior squad, there wasn’t even a choice to make other than where in the living room my parent would put my cap if I got a chance to play (it’s hanging on the wall by the way),’’ he added.
Agbonlahor took time to blast Nigeria’s scouting policy which ignored the country’s numerous talents until they made it at big-club level.
“I would like to see British-born players watched by Nigeria scouts and brought into their set-up from Under- 17 upwards and not just showing interest once they have established themselves in England U-21 competitions or for their domestic clubs.
“For some reasons the Nigerian FA and fans only seem to want players when they are already the finished article and then judge them when they officially pledge their allegiance at senior level for the country where they actually plied their trade.
“For example why wasn’t (Victor) Moses, (Shola) Ameobi or (Victor) Anichebe invited to play for Nigeria before they proved themselves in England squads?
“Moses has played for England at every single level, yet it took two whole years of him not being picked for England seniors and then being probably Wigan’s best player before the Nigerian FA took notice of his talent and actually called him up to their senior squad. He wasn’t invisible before, he has been a good footballer since his Crystal Palace days’’.
ADVERTISEMENT
Agbonlahor also believes the Eagles will do well at the World Cup, saying from what he saw of the team at the Nations Cup, Nigeria can beat anybody on their dayhttp://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/sports/item/29084-nigeria-never-approached-me-%E2%80%94agbonlahor.html
Re: Nigeria Never Approached Me, Their Scouts Are Bad —agbonlahor by slap1(m): 3:29pm On Dec 22, 2013
Who needs Abgolanhor? We have Emenike!
Re: Nigeria Never Approached Me, Their Scouts Are Bad —agbonlahor by adegwurulez(m): 3:45pm On Dec 22, 2013
i wouldnt say he called nigerian scouts 'bad'. I read the full interview on kon and his assessment of our scouting network was 'spot on'. You actually shouldnt expect england or any other european country to refine a player and spend so much for that player and then you want him to abandon the country that made him what he actually is. Truth is, if our scouts cant look for young foreign born players, then we should start looking inwards as lots of talents abound in this nation. Either ways, the end justifies the means.
Re: Nigeria Never Approached Me, Their Scouts Are Bad —agbonlahor by manowar1: 10:00am On Dec 21, 2014
Gabriel Agbonlahor "Gabby" mother's name is not Mrs Mary Agbonlahor from Ondo State. His mother's name is Tina Burgess.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Checkout The List Of Summer Spending In The English Premier League. / Chukwueze Scores For Villarreal In Eight-goal Thriller Against Granada (VIDEO) / Nigeria Professional Football. League ( NPFL) 2020/2021 Season all update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.