Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,674 members, 7,885,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 03:25 PM

What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? (1889 Views)

As A Writer What Android App Has Increased Your Productivity And Creativity / Greedy Fellow - By Zirysste Bawt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by cheruv: 11:49am On Dec 23, 2013
I've noticed that everyone on nairaland is getting into one form of storytelling or the other..both on sexuality and litterature sections.some of the stories were impressive whilst the others were though good but filled with so much grammatical errors that would even make a 7 year old brilliant chap's mouth go sour(like the one am reading presently).what's your take on the issue and what solutions can be proffered especially to the ones who seem to get it wrong?
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by missterious(f): 12:16pm On Dec 23, 2013
Even if they don't get it right, they made an effort. That's all that matters. It's better than staying idle. But I agree with you on the grammar part, it pisses me off sometimes
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by noble4d(m): 12:30pm On Dec 23, 2013
They write,because they have passion for it.as for the grammatical errors,its mutual and a common occurrence among nairalanders.
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by Justeenaleo(f): 1:56pm On Dec 23, 2013
My take on it?
Write as long as you love writing,aint no one perfect wen it comes to grammar,the more you write the better you become,am using this medium to encourage yall writers,its nt easy but slow and steady we get there,if all nairalanders (Nigerians especially) write a story twice a week,wether on nairaland or off nairaland,it will make d society a little sane.
And once again for d errors,use spell check
My take smiley
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by cheruv: 2:34pm On Dec 23, 2013
miss.terious:
Even if they don't get it right, they made an effort. That's all that matters. It's better than staying idle. But I agree with you on the grammar part, it pisses me off sometimes
Don't you think the mods should offer proofreading services?.. And by the way have you written any yourself?
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by missterious(f): 2:53pm On Dec 23, 2013
cheruv:
Don't you think the mods should offer proofreading services?.. And by the way have you written any yourself?
Mods are not paid, I don't think they have the time to do that. I've not written a story per se, but I do have something on the lit section. Check the link on my siggy
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by cheruv: 3:20pm On Dec 23, 2013
That was quite hilarious...dd you attend an FGGC?
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by Royver(m): 3:32pm On Dec 23, 2013
If the Mods proof-read every story, how would the writers improve on their grip of the English language?

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by missterious(f): 3:57pm On Dec 23, 2013
cheruv: That was quite hilarious...dd you attend an FGGC?
Lol. Thanks. No, I didn't
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by cheruv: 6:16pm On Dec 23, 2013
Royver: If the Mods proof-read every story, how would the writers improve on their grip of the English language?
They'd improve but their poor command of english language usually stems from the faulty background they had in secondary schul
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by cheruv: 6:36pm On Dec 23, 2013
I must say you've a very long list there but seriously what informed your hates on those subject matters of life?
miss.terious:

Lol. Thanks. No, I didn't
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by noble4d(m): 10:22pm On Dec 23, 2013
ooooooh
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by slap1(m): 9:00am On Dec 24, 2013
You complain about grammar yet you write 'bawt'?
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by cheruv: 11:25am On Dec 24, 2013
slap1: You complain about grammar yet you write 'bawt'?
Like seriously...is that a problem to you? undecided
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 24, 2013
cheruv:
And you think mods have a perfect grip of English? Nobody here does! Not you, not me and not the writers. Perfection comes with practice; the more they write, the better they get!
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by noble4d(m): 1:21pm On Dec 24, 2013
yah...exactly @candy...........with practice they will improve....as if the mods are professors.....ouch
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by rapmike(m): 4:48pm On Dec 24, 2013
I write here (at least i have a piece ongoing) so i can speak.

Writing is not as easy as you think, true some write-ups could look strewn with errors but you have to consider d following.
1. Not every1 is dat fortunate to have the time 2 check their work. Like for me, i don't have a laptop or computer so i use a cybercafe which means that i may have to rush and type my work. Of course i check it but it does not change the fact that am under pressure and may nt do it well. Some oda writers face the same thing or worse and since we aint paid 4 it, d motivation 2 check it may be less.

2. Lack of practising English. Most ppl attend fairly good sec. skuls @ least to get 2 d uni nowadays u rily hav 2 be dat gud u knw. Bt wen due to daily interactions and d fact dat we tend 2 'blend' with oda folks who r less concernd abt it, d lessons learnt are 4gotten and dat may lead 2 wat u r saying.
3. Sum ppl r trying to improve their written English here and instead of putting thread like 'Was it or is it, which one is correct?' here, they write a story and put it dia, while 4 odas they r challenging demselves to write sumting creative since d time dey did such last(maybe in sec skul), so try and understand.

FINALLY BLAME ASUU AND OUR EDU. SYSTEM 4 D LACK OF GUD ENGLISH TEACHERS WHO SAY SHILDREN INSTEAD OF CHILDREN, LOL.
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 26, 2013
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The
Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders?

I absolutely hate it. But then, that's just me.
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by Ishilove: 9:54pm On Dec 26, 2013
slap1: You complain about grammar yet you write 'bawt'?
I think its informal speak
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by Ishilove: 9:57pm On Dec 26, 2013
rapmike: I write here (at least i have a piece ongoing) so i can speak.

Writing is not as easy as you think, true some write-ups could look strewn with errors but you have to consider d following.
1. Not every1 is dat fortunate to have the time 2 check their work. Like for me, i don't have a laptop or computer so i use a cybercafe which means that i may have to rush and type my work. Of course i check it but it does not change the fact that am under pressure and may nt do it well. Some oda writers face the same thing or worse and since we aint paid 4 it, d motivation 2
check it may be less.

2. Lack of practising English. Most ppl attend fairly good sec. skuls @ least to get 2 d uni nowadays u rily hav 2 be dat gud u knw. Bt wen due to daily interactions and d fact dat we tend 2 'blend' with oda folks who r less concernd abt it, d lessons learnt are 4gotten and dat may lead 2 wat u r saying.
3. Sum ppl r trying to improve their written English here and instead of putting thread like 'Was it or is it, which one is correct?' here, they write a story and put it dia, while 4 odas they r challenging demselves to write sumting creative since d time dey
did such last(maybe in sec skul), so try and understand.

FINALLY BLAME ASUU AND OUR EDU. SYSTEM 4 D LACK OF GUD ENGLISH TEACHERS WHO SAY SHILDREN INSTEAD OF CHILDREN, LOL.
Informal speak or text speak is the bane of today's writers. How can you master your grammar when you keep shortening your words like this? It is apalling. sad
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by Ishilove: 10:22pm On Dec 26, 2013
Everyone wants to write, so let them. As long as they have passion for it and it flows from the creative well springs deep inside them, they will get better eventually. However, we should also examine the themes of what some of these writers produce. On nairaland here, 80% of the the stories are centred around sexxual escapades and crime. The major problem with the latter is poor research. If you want to write a story about a detective who handles a kidnapping case, the least you can do is make the effort to make some research on the subject.

As for the former, the characters are so objectified to the point that one has a feeling that one is reading about a semi-zombie whose life's purpose is to copulate. Very little goes into character exploration and development.

My take on 'bawt' the burgeoning numbers of writers is this: people need to know exactly why they are writing, and make effort at mastering the literary arts. We also need more people to constructively criticise the works produced here. The problem we have is there are too many readers and too few critics. If one criticises a work, they are termed 'oversabi' or 'English teachers', so most of the critics I'm familiar with here have learnt to keep their opinions to themselves. Meanwhile, the quality of works produced keeps getting poorer by the day.

If there are more experienced critics out there, telling it how it is and calling a spade a spade, the chaff will be separated from the wheat and there will be less horridly written 'works of art' to endure.

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by LarrySun(m): 11:54pm On Dec 26, 2013
cheruv:
They'd improve but their poor command of english language usually stems from the faulty background they had in secondary schul
Oh, but I'm going to disagree with you on that. I attended a crappy secondary school where the most brilliant student can only spell his own name correctly. I scaled through because of the books I read and my love for words. Are you saying that The Bells does not boast of grammatically-cursed pupils? A good school does not a good writer make, trust me.

There's a wide gap between a story-teller and a writer. A story-teller may not care much about his grammar, trusting therefore in the professional scrutiny by an editor. But a writer, however, must have a good and easy control of grammar and syntax. To a writer, every word scribbled must count. Again, it is not necessary that every good writer must turn good story-teller (I know a lot of great, great writers whose stories didn't turn out to be pearls of wisdom), but it won't hurt if a good story-teller writes good, because, let's face it, writing with bad grammar is like crossing the Atlantic in a bath-tub.

It is good to have the urge to write, but it is better to polish one's grammar along the way. To write is human but to edit is divine. So many writers have scribbled their way to homes in the ghetto, leaving a trail of pulsing adverbs, wooden characters, and vile passive-voice constructions behind them. I'm not saying one has to be an English major before becoming a writer. But we need to always look at the bigger picture; we should see the forest instead of the trees. We should, therefore, learn how to stop spouting doggerel about how sour the grapes of today have become.

If you want to be a good writer, you must do two things above others: read a lot and write a lot. There's no way around these two things that I'm aware of, no shortcut. Although analysis may be able to explain how the colours of the flower of syntax are produced, but never by what process its odour is produced, if you get what I mean.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by Ishilove: 2:07am On Dec 27, 2013
Lol @Larry
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by tpia5: 7:23am On Dec 27, 2013
nothing.

i guess the question should be how do they [the storytellers] feel about the increased spate of writing.
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by noble4d(m): 1:21pm On Dec 27, 2013
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by UyiIredia(m): 12:21am On Dec 29, 2013
Ishilove:
Informal speak or text speak is the bane of today's writers. How can you master your grammar when you keep shortening your words like this? It is apalling. sad

This is unbecoming of you. His points were very apt to the topic and the best you can come up with is a jibe at his shorthand. Please !
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by Ishilove: 1:44am On Dec 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

This is unbecoming of you. His points were very apt to the topic and the best you can come up with is a jibe at his shorthand. Please !
You can't discuss about the development of others until you start developing yourself. That is my point here. He is a writer. Let him show some discipline, please! angry

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by rapmike(m): 1:35pm On Dec 29, 2013
Ishilove:
You can't discuss about the development of others until you start developing yourself. That is my point here. He is a writer. Let him show some discipline, please! angry
Excuse me, bro bt u went 2 far. Have u seen my work(thread) in dis section? Am sure u have nt cos if you have, u won't use my comment to rate my writing. Please, i gave an opinion in shorthand, that does nt mean that if am writing a novel i will write dat poorly. Grantd, i am nt a guru in English bt am nt dat poor as well, dis is an informal setting and if my comments were to be in a newspaper i will check myself. Besides the OP used 'bawt' in her statement, maybe u cn correct her too. Until ppl like u realise that to raise writers is more than throwing criticism in the air, writing in dis forum may nt improve.
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by Ishilove: 2:08pm On Dec 29, 2013
rapmike:
Excuse me, bro bt u went 2 far. Have u seen my work(thread) in dis section? Am sure u have nt cos if you have, u won't use my comment to rate my writing. Please, i gave an opinion in shorthand, that does nt mean that if am writing a novel i will write dat poorly. Grantd, i am nt a guru in English bt am nt dat poor as well, dis is an informal setting and if my comments were to be in a newspaper i will check myself. Besides the OP used 'bawt' in her statement, maybe u cn correct her too. Until ppl like u realise that to raise writers is more than throwing criticism in the air, writing in dis forum may nt improve.
You're doing it again. You're writing in shorthand, AGAIN. The discipline I am talking about is continually trying to improve yourself whenever you pick up a pen/or type on a keyboard to write. It means consistently monitoring the way you write, how you write, where you write etc.
You say if it were to be a newspaper, you will check yourself. Look, guy, it doesn't matter if you are writing to your family members; build a standard and maintain it. Always strive higher and never go lower than what you know you are capable of. This is a very public forum, by the way...

Go and study the masters of the letters. You will discover that they hardly write the way you write, even in the most informal of settings because it is dangerous and can become a habit. What becomes a habit will inadvertently affect your style, whether or not you choose to believe it.

Study Larrysun, Efemena_xy, glowingscenes, Royver, princesa, virgo and other great writers on this forum and you will discover that they NEVER write in shorthand. Shorthand is a complete no-no for anyone who is serious about taking his/her writing to the next level.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by rapmike(m): 8:23pm On Dec 29, 2013
Ishilove:
You're doing it again. You're writing in shorthand, AGAIN. The discipline I am talking about is continually trying to improve yourself whenever you pick up a pen/or type on a keyboard to write. It means consistently monitoring the way you write, how you write, where you write etc.
You say if it were to be a newspaper, you will check yourself. Look, guy, it doesn't matter if you are writing to your family members; build a standard and maintain it. Always strive higher and never go lower than what you know you are capable of. This is a very public forum, by the way...

Go and study the masters of the letters. You will discover that they hardly write the way you write, even in the most informal of settings because it is dangerous and can become a habit. What becomes a habit will inadvertently affect your style, whether or not you choose to believe it.

Study Larrysun, Efemena_xy, glowingscenes, Royver, princesa, virgo and other great writers on this forum and you will discover that they NEVER write in shorthand. Shorthand is a complete no-no for anyone who is serious about taking his/her writing to the next level.
Ok, i don hear you....

READ MY THREAD AND TELL ME WHERE I WROTE IN SHORTHAND IN MY STORY.......

i understand ur point about improving, but you can't just judge people's abilities on an informal setting, that's my point.

by the way, you just took a swipe at the shorthand without carefully viewing the post and proffering solutions to what i wrote, you could at least do that.

Ur tone sound judgmental so try and pipe it low...
my 2cents

P.S. EVERYONE DOES NOT COME UNDER UR RULE, SIMPLE
Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by OMA4U(m): 8:52pm On Dec 29, 2013
rapmike:
Ok, i don hear you....

READ MY THREAD AND TELL ME WHERE I WROTE IN SHORTHAND IN MY STORY.......

i understand ur point about improving, but you can't just judge people's abilities on an informal setting, that's my point.

by the way, you just took a swipe at the shorthand without carefully viewing the post and proffering solutions to what i wrote, you could at least do that.

Ur tone sound judgmental so try and pipe it low...
my 2cents

P.S. EVERYONE DOES NOT COME UNDER UR RULE, SIMPLE

That's why some people cannot improve. 'Agidi' too much. Someone who knows better is trying to tell you what to avoid if you are serious about being a writer. At least, listen to them so that you can be better. Truly, that shorthand thing has deteriorated the way people write.
Ishilove and Larry-sun, nice contributions. Your head dey dere.

Mr. Man, abeg no attack me. I'm a learner o. I'm a novice, not even an amateur who is working hard to come out better. So don't bother to attack me. I know Nairalnders with their ever insults.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders? by rapmike(m): 10:25pm On Dec 29, 2013
OMA4U:

That's why some people cannot improve. 'Agidi' too much. Someone who knows better is trying to tell you what to avoid if you are serious about being a writer. At least, listen to them so that you can be better. Truly, that shorthand thing has deteriorated the way people write.
Ishilove and Larry-sun, nice contributions. Your head dey dere.

Mr. Man, abeg no attack me. I'm a learner o. I'm a novice, not even an amateur who is working hard to come out better. So don't bother to attack me. I know Nairalnders with their ever insults.
Am not going to insult you or him, i wil jst make my points clear.

I am not endorsing shorthand, know that!

What I am against is the manner in which he picked at my comment, emphasising the shorthand and ignoring the points I made. If I was a newbie, I may be totally discouraged from adding my opinion.

Then he used dat comment to pass judgment on how I will write my stories, implying that I am a poor writer. I am not the best, i agree, but I write quite well and am trying to improve on my mistakes, so looking at it from that context he did smting wrong.

Finally, I feel that just tackling the syntax of English language is nt enough to be a good Literature writer, the creativity is very key to be at such level and most writers here and in Naijastories show that, so they should be encouraged and criticised objectively and in an appropriate manner, not commenting lyke a 'know all', which Ishilove did.

Check 'AN EVENING WITH EVA' by Kayemay, he writes the main story with the right syntax bt comment with his readers with pidgin at times. How will he feel if Ishilove picks on a comment in pidgin and says that he is not good or he has no knowledge of English syntax? I tell you, he will be offended.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Memoir Of A 'corper' Lawyer / Drop An English Word That Will Make People Check The Dictionary / The Damned - Written By Hotwax

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.