Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,502 members, 7,904,915 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 09:33 PM

How The AK-47 Changed The World - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / How The AK-47 Changed The World (973 Views)

Grannies Brandish Their AK-47 Rifles As They Vow To Protect Their Land From ISIS / Quotes By AK-47 Inventor|mikhail Kalashnikov / AK-47 Inventor Mikhail Kalashnikov Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The AK-47 Changed The World by jayflex: 6:59am On Dec 24, 2013
While recuperating in a hospital bed from injuries sustained in a battle during World War 2, Sergeant Mikhail Kalashnikov of the Red Army became obsessed with the idea of creating a gun that would drive the Germans out of his motherland. He started the sketches for a super weapon that would match the 7.62mm calibre cartridge and suffered initial disappointments including the gun not being adopted by the Soviet Army before the German war machine was beaten back to the heart of Berlin.

Sergeant Kalashnikov in 1949

In 1947 he submitted a stunning prototype of his assault rifle and by 1949 his hard work paid off as his creation was officially adopted as standard issue rifle for the Army and named the “Avtomat Kalashnikova” (Kalashnikov’s Automatic) or “Ak-47”. The assault rifle as a distinct weapon was barely known at the time. A rugged, proud looking firearm identifiable by its long box magazine and is easily the most recognisable gun in the world.

The AK-47 is an infantry man’s dream come true. Lighter and smaller than a regular rifle but larger and more powerful than any submachine gun. It was reliable, resistant to corrosion and almost never jams in action. Some have been pulled out from mud after long periods and still let off shots when the trigger is pulled. These qualities plus the fact that the design is extremely simple and can be mastered in a matter of hours by almost anyone has made it the weapon of choice for millions of fighting men in the 64 years of its existence.
The significance of its power was felt worldwide and especially in the Pentagon when it propelled the relatively backward North-Vietnamese Army to victory over the United States. It is estimated that the bulk of American fatalities during the Vietnam War was as a result of small arms fire or to be blunt, AK-47 fire.

Continue Reading At http://kizarofaro..com/2013/10/ak-47-gun-that-changed-world.html

1 Like

Re: How The AK-47 Changed The World by chibikeval: 7:15am On Dec 24, 2013
Hmmmm...
Re: How The AK-47 Changed The World by SoloAtna(m): 9:09am On Dec 24, 2013
What i love about the Ak47 most is the sound.
Re: How The AK-47 Changed The World by SoloAtna(m): 9:09am On Dec 24, 2013
What i love about the Ak47 most is the sound.What i love about the Ak47 most is the sound.What i love about the Ak47 most is the sound.
Re: How The AK-47 Changed The World by ycmdng(m): 10:38am On Dec 24, 2013
A very dependable riffle, any idea about the price? I need one.
Re: How The AK-47 Changed The World by jayflex: 12:47pm On Dec 24, 2013
ycmdng: A very dependable riffle, any idea about the price? I need one.

Sorry you cant get one unless u live in afghanistan, iraq, syria or israel. Its illegal to own an assault rifle in nigeria. Manage a normal shakabula gun grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Militarization Of US Police Force - Femi Oke / Photos:Meet The 20 Year Old Jihadist Who Detonated Suicide Vest At Paris Stadium / The Day The Play Ground Bully Picked On The Wrong Kid And Got A Bloody Nose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.