Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,303 members, 7,881,121 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:59 PM

Why Power Outages Persist - Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Power Outages Persist - Minister (1353 Views)

Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo / There Will Be No More Power Outages – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by bodejohn(m): 1:38pm On Dec 24, 2013
I have personally decided to stop making comments about politics and politicians (both ruling and opposition - They are two sides of the same coin anyway) but the report below quoted from an interview with the minister of power to me is particularly disturbing....

Gas pipeline vandalism and pricing policy, with the heavy debt profiles of the owners of Distribution Companies (Discos) and Generation Companies (Gencos) have been identified as the reasons behind epileptic power supply in the country.

The Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, who made these known on Channels Television’s Sun Rise at the weekend, said that the pipeline vandalism has almost been compromising the Discos and Gencos’ plan to provide regular electricity in the country.

Meanwhile, the Afam VI, River IPP, Ibom Power and Afam IV Power stations have been shut down as a result of recent pipeline vandalism.

This has resulted in 826MW reduction in power generation output across the country.

Nebo said that apart from pipeline vandalism, the new owners of the electricity firms are already heavily indebted to banks, posing operational challenges to the companies.

He also pointed out that the issue of gas pricing has been affecting gas availability to power firms.

Nebo in another occasion said the recurrent vandalism of gas pipelines to power plants which has led to the disruption in electricity generation has a been burden to the consuming public.

According to the minister, the condensate extracted from the pipelines, which appears to be the only attraction for these vandals attract no substantial commercial value.

The minister said the western axis of the pipelines network has been worst-hit but assured the public that urgent repairs are ongoing.

Apart from the vandalisation of pipelines, the minister also attributed the decline in power supply to the reduction in water levels at the nation’s hydro-electricity power plants and vandalisation of transformers.

He said: “It is important to note that with regard to the busting of gas pipelines and vandalism of pipelines that bring gas, there isn’t any significant commercial value behind the action. It is sheer madness or may be essentially politically motivated just to cause damage to the country and to Nigerians. The ones that we find to be commercially motivated are so very painful.

“The reason for people to carry out this act of vandalism is something that is beyond explanation..

“I agree that several arrests have been made, just like the issue of crude oil theft that is going on in this country. I think the seriousness given to this by the Federal Government to make sure that they arrest whoever that is involved in this act of sabotage is something that should give some comfort to Nigerians.”

Link: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php/business/business-news/141726-why-power-outages-persist-by-minister
Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by delvinmaya(m): 1:53pm On Dec 24, 2013
ise aye
Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 24, 2013
He once told witches and wizards were behind the power failure.

No complain, enjoy the 'fresh air'.

1 Like

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 24, 2013
Excuses...excuses and more excuses.

Nigerians are tired of constant excuses...they want light!

No real boss accept excuses...he wants result...or else you get fired!

2 Likes

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by Haywirezzz: 2:00pm On Dec 24, 2013
December is here.Where is the 10,000MW you people promised Nigerians? embarassed.Instead its another season of excuses and bulk passing.Shame on u all.
Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 24, 2013
For me, the prime suspects are Tinubu, Buhari and their All Problems Congress. These people are desperate and capable of unimaginable evil.

And when their atrocities are exposed to Nigerians, they turn around and accuse the govt of looking for excuses. Where else in the world do citizens sabotage their own govt just to score cheap political points? Do Ghaninians sabotage their country by vandalizing gas pipelines?

So effectively, for GEJ to achieve anything in Nigeria he has to put in thrice or more as much efforts as the president of Ghana or other progressive nations. GEJ does not only have to work hard to provide facilities, he also has to work even harder to PROTECT the facilities. And all these because of political ambition of Tinubu and Buhari? Smh for Nigeria

11 Likes

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 24, 2013
^^^^^^

Werey! You have just indicted your paymaster for incompetency. You paymaster is the chief security officer of the nation but has failed to secure lives and properties. Your paymaster has everything to succeed but has failed in every test.

2 Likes

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by cbrass(m): 2:42pm On Dec 24, 2013
But I haven't read in the newspapers where pipelines were vandalized now...anyway 2015 is close...
Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by wordcat(m): 7:05am On Dec 25, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: For me, the prime suspects are Tinubu, Buhari and their All Problems Congress. These people are desperate and capable of unimaginable evil.

And when their atrocities are exposed to Nigerians, they turn around and accuse the govt of looking for excuses. Where else in the world do citizens sabotage their own govt just to score cheap political points? Do Ghaninians sabotage their country by vandalizing gas pipelines?

So effectively, for GEJ to achieve anything in Nigeria he has to put in thrice or more as much efforts as the president of Ghana or other progressive nations. GEJ does not only have to work hard to provide facilities, he also has to work even harder to PROTECT the facilities. And all these because of political ambition of Tinubu and Buhari? Smh for Nigeria

Ode.

1 Like

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by juman(m): 7:18am On Dec 25, 2013
But why should nigerians be committed to this destroyed country?
Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by xtophy(m): 7:43am On Dec 25, 2013
Stop playing everything with politics. All those guys.....gej,obj,buhari,ibb,amachei, etc are bastards.... dey re using us....pls, lets think out of d box 4 once.....

1 Like

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by ba7man(m): 7:48am On Dec 25, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: For me, the prime suspects are Tinubu, Buhari and their All Problems Congress. These people are desperate and capable of unimaginable evil.

This is not an intelligent reply from you. You're capable of better analysis.

1 Like

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by Ngwakwe: 8:12am On Dec 25, 2013
The bitter truth is that Politicians (especially rivalries, not limited to opposition) invest heavily in sabotaging the efforts of government in power to discredit the regime.

However, one worrying trend in Nigeria is the location and level of sabotage. Why is there virtually minimal to non-existing act of Political Sabotage in Northern Nigeria?

Why always Southern Nigeria?

The minister said the western axis of the pipelines network has been worst-hit but assured the public that urgent repairs are ongoing.

1 Like

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:15am On Dec 25, 2013
Haywirezzz: December is here.Where is the 10,000MW you people promised Nigerians? embarassed.Instead its another season of excuses and bulk passing.Shame on u all.
wait. U need to read the joke of the year! grin grin grin

Pls dnt laff, it is not a laffing matter. i biliv we need to be worried at the rate at which people are so shamelessly driven because of financial gain.

Pls, resd his comment grin grin

can u biliv this?? shocked

This guy shld loose his job!

But on the contrary, how cld he, when his masters are also clueless!

If u read the minister's comment, and this paid lapdog, u wld realise the cluelessness in them!

These guys are bunch of dafties!

2 Likes

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by rej00: 8:27am On Dec 25, 2013
juman: But why should nigerians be committed to this senseless country, a country that betrayed us?

how can a country be senseless?, and how can a country betray some. Nigeria is made up of nigerians. It is peopl who betray people and its people like your type that is senseless....
A man builds a bungalow and while sleeping @ night, the building caught fire and was thoroughly burnt..... This man when he discovers his woes even though in tears would look for all means to rebuild his home. Its only a foolish man that would say my house is burnt let me go and live with my cousins without doing anything to rebuild his home. This country may be horribly bad... I was born to a disadvantaged country but i am very proud because i have better opportunity to leave a lasting mark in history which young ones from other developed world definitly lacks. I love nigeria
Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by gbadexy(m): 9:00am On Dec 25, 2013
That's why we need a resolute leader like buhari.
I propose death sentence for anybody caught involved in economic sabotage.
Selfish people given peanuts to cause inconvenience to the populace don't deserve to live.

1 Like

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 25, 2013
Ngwakwe: The bitter truth is that Politicians (especially rivalries, not limited to opposition) invest heavily in sabotaging the efforts of government in power to discredit the regime.

However, one worrying trend in Nigeria is the location and level of sabotage. Why is there virtually minimal to non-existing act of Political Sabotage in Northern Nigeria?

Why always Southern Nigeria?

The reason is because the gas is from the south, most of the power plants are in the south and the bulk of the pipelines are in the south.

1 Like

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by jmaine: 9:09am On Dec 25, 2013
gbadexy: That's why we need a resolute leader like buhari.
Selfish people given peanuts to cause inconvenience to the populace don't deserve to live.

The same APC Buhari . . . .Abeg make I laugh joor . . . . grin
Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by juman(m): 9:19am On Dec 25, 2013
gbadexy: That's why we need a resolute leader like buhari.

grin

I laughed.

Propose death sentence for corrupt leaders first.
Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by otokx(m): 9:20am On Dec 25, 2013
Until power generation is increased and distribution decentralized excuses will continue. Nigerians will no longer pay for darkness so the corrupt politicians that stole our national assets should look for other ways to generate money towards their 2015 aspirations.
Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 25, 2013
Yes a govt is elected to solve problems but some problems can overwhelm even super-humans. Even in the midst of insufficient funds, this president has to spend money in providing facilities and also spend even more in protecting these facilities. In the absence of sabotage, the funds that should have been expended in PROTECTING these infrastructures would have been used in building more facilities.

We should not forget that this same govt is also spending N920 billion on security because of Boko Haram. This is over N500 billion more than what Yar Adua and OBJ spent during their reign on security. Just imagine the impact this N500 billion would have had if the current president had deployed it in infrastructural development across the country.

Also we should not forget that this govt is spending N900 billion on fuel subsidy. If not for the protests, fuel subsidy would have been removed in 2012 and the N900 billion spent on infrastructure. Ghana has already removed fuel subsidy. But for political reasons, Nigeria has not been able to do the needful.

So bottomline, funds that would have been better used for PROGRESS and DEVELOPMENT of the nation are being wasted on issues that should not have been if our politics was healthy, patriotic and in the NATIONAL interest.

Notwithstanding these challenges, the govt of GEJ has managed to deliver much more than any govt, atleast in the last 3 decades. What is not in doubt is that Nigeria would have seen much more PROGRESS and DEVELOPMENT if, like Ghaninians do, all Nigerians united behind their president after the 2011 elections.

Anyway, merry Christmas to all Nlanders!

3 Likes

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by juman(m): 9:27am On Dec 25, 2013
rej00:

how can a country be senseless?, and how can a country betray some. Nigeria is made up of nigerians. It is peopl who betray people and its people like your type that is senseless....
A man builds a bungalow and while sleeping @ night, the building caught fire and was thoroughly burnt..... This man when he discovers his woes even though in tears would look for all means to rebuild his home. Its only a foolish man that would say my house is burnt let me go and live with my cousins without doing anything to rebuild his home. This country may be horribly bad... I was born to a disadvantaged country but i am very proud because i have better opportunity to leave a lasting mark in history which young ones from other developed world definitly lacks. I love nigeria

nigeria is a country that despite it's potentials, run down by selfish and clueless "leaders".

The root problem is one nigeria. nigeria is a country where leaders are not committed and careless.
Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by Walexz02(m): 9:33am On Dec 25, 2013
Gosh!
Just before we start complaining about how they fail to fulfil there promises they have started given silly excuses.
@sincere9jirian, if Jona knew those who you mentioned as the people sarbotaging the nation's development why not arrest and prosecute them?

1 Like

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by nuclearboy(m): 9:40am On Dec 25, 2013
ba7man: This is not an intelligent reply from you. You're capable of better analysis.

Sincere9gerian starts to disappoint! at least he used to offer reasonable arguments (that showed an analytic thought process) before! Now, everything is excuses and Tinubu or Buhari!

Hubris !

1 Like

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 25, 2013

Could APC be responsible? angry angry angry angry angry angry. APC must come out and tell us why the pipeline in the west are the worst hit

2 Likes

Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by bodejohn(m): 11:58am On Dec 25, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Yes a govt is elected to solve problems but some problems can overwhelm even super-humans. Even in the midst of insufficient funds, this president has to spend money in providing facilities and also spend even more in protecting these facilities. In the absence of sabotage, the funds that should have been expended in PROTECTING these infrastructures would have been used in building more facilities.

We should not forget that this same govt is also spending N920 billion on security because of Boko Haram. This is over N500 billion more than what Yar Adua and OBJ spent during their reign on security. Just imagine the impact this N500 billion would have had if the current president had deployed it in infrastructural development across the country.

Also we should not forget that this govt is spending N900 billion on fuel subsidy. If not for the protests, fuel subsidy would have been removed in 2012 and the N900 billion spent on infrastructure. Ghana has already removed fuel subsidy. But for political reasons, Nigeria has not been able to do the needful.

So bottomline, funds that would have been better used for PROGRESS and DEVELOPMENT of the nation are being wasted on issues that should not have been if our politics was healthy, patriotic and in the NATIONAL interest.

Notwithstanding these challenges, the govt of GEJ has managed to deliver much more than any govt, atleast in the last 3 decades. What is not in doubt is that Nigeria would have seen much more PROGRESS and DEVELOPMENT if, like Ghaninians do, all Nigerians united behind their president after the 2011 elections.

Anyway, merry Christmas to all Nlanders!

Much as you have invested some intelligence into what you have written up there, it doesn't take half that intelligence to know that our leaders both ruling and opposition cannot be trusted with another free kobo.
Re: Why Power Outages Persist - Minister by Ngokafor(f): 12:47pm On Dec 25, 2013

grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Stella's Citation As Submitted To The Senate During Her Ministerial Screening / 2015,buhari Or Jonathan Is Our Man!!! / . ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.