Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,740 members, 7,905,743 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 05:33 PM

Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano (11916 Views)

Buhari Declares Free Higher Education / Kwankwaso To Build Another School In Niger Republic / Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by Gboliwe: 1:40pm On Dec 26, 2013
abdulkayus: I can c some bigots here who are itchin and unhappy abt d progress of kano. If dat, kwankwaso has like 5 to 10 e members here on NL who will be talkin abt his progress, some ppl would have commit suicide since. Yes, in term of education, southerners may still have higher no than northerners, bt d north too are goin to school nw in great number. Just come to kano and c durin clossin hour of schools and c hw students will be troopin out. Right now, one of d most lucrative business nw in kano is to have a private school, nt just anyhw, bt a good private school. Yes, that is wat is movin right now for u to knw that dey have realy embrace education. Wat of uni like BUK, North west university and kano state uni of tech, na them full there. In d north now, Kano, kaduna, katsina, are some of d states that has realy embrace education. Though, some states like Yobe, Taraba, and Jigawa are still lackin behind. With d meagre money that kano is makin, kwankwaso has realy develop the state very well. Its just that d media dont talk abt most progress in d north xvept negative news. In terms of development, kano is farrrrrrrr better than many states in d south.
CIAO
lol @ meagre money that Kano is making.
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by anonimi: 1:52pm On Dec 26, 2013
Gboliwe:
lol @ meagre money that Kano is making.

Since I am no longer sure of the meaning of meagre I went to see the 2014 budget proposal of Kano state:

Kwankwaso Presents N2I9bn 2014 Proposed Budget

Details from: http://leadership.ng/news/251213/kwankwaso-presents-n2i9bn-2014-proposed-budget

This amount does not include the budgets, based on monthly federal allocation, of the LGAS who are mainly responsible for primary education and technical schools.
Moreover this budget is just less than half of Lagos budget.
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by MeAboki(m): 1:59pm On Dec 26, 2013
theoctopus: The core North has never had a problem with free education. They have never had a problem of poeple not being able to afford education. What the north has had is apathy for education. The people have very little interest in education. It is a cultural problem ably supported by the ruling elite. When I was in school, every Northerner from the core Northern states were sponsored by their state government and giving everything they needed. But you still wont find them in school. Declaring free education in Kano is meaningless. It means nothing

Can't wait to read the whole comments on this thread, simply have to reply to you thus:

Apparently, your own education is also meaningless otherwise you would have noticed the word COMPULSORY in the text of the article.

1 Like

Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by Spray(m): 2:04pm On Dec 26, 2013
vicent eze: Na now you dey wake up aboki
and ur governor still sleeping and snoring, clown is high tym u apreciate those who are willing 2 help the masses, ur governor exclusively...
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by Spray(m): 2:07pm On Dec 26, 2013
theoctopus: The core North has never had a problem with free education. They have never had a problem of poeple not being able to afford education. What the north has had is apathy for education. The people have very little interest in education. It is a cultural problem ably supported by the ruling elite. When I was in school, every Northerner from the core Northern states were sponsored by their state government and giving everything they needed. But you still wont find them in school. Declaring free education in Kano is meaningless. It means nothing
what stop ur governor from making education free in your state? Ingratitude fellow..
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by Okijajuju1(m): 2:14pm On Dec 26, 2013
fyneguy: The impact of APC. Yes! an under-performing PDP Governor could be performing under APC. This is the proof.

So let other clueless PDP governors move to APC and get fire baptism

Last time I checked, under the Universal Basic Education Scheme, Primary and Tertiary education in Nigeria has always been free.. So how did An APC governor declare something that is supposed to be free, free?!

And the ÜBE scheme is sponsored by the Federal government, not state governors..

And it is compulsory under Nigerian laws for every child to be educated.. Enforcement is where the problem lies.

Plus free tertiary education to me is not the answer.. But rather scholarships for academic brilliance and sports..

1 Like

Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by MeAboki(m): 2:25pm On Dec 26, 2013
^^^^ Ol boy, this one na double Dutch; if they are not implementing it then its not free or else parents wouldn't be paying fees to these institutions and collecting receipts to show for it.
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by Okijajuju1(m): 2:30pm On Dec 26, 2013
Me_Aboki: ^^^^ Ol boy, this one na double Dutch; if they are not implementing it then its not free or else parents wouldn't be paying fees to these institutions and collecting receipts to show for it.

Point is that the Federal Government has a scheme in place called the ÜBE scheme.

The State governments receive funds from the scheme to implement in their states.

So if it is not being implemented, it's the state governments problem.

So if the FG has paid for the education of all children in basic school, how then is Kwankwaso declaring free education as if it is new or he paid for it?
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by lymelyte(m): 2:46pm On Dec 26, 2013
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by homesteady(m): 2:52pm On Dec 26, 2013
SwTonia: not until he repairs those road in sabon gari
I wonder why he has refused to repair the roads in sabon gari! And sabon gari is like the economy capital in Kano!
Maybe because non-indigenes are the most populated there
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by Iykeponti(m): 3:35pm On Dec 26, 2013
Free education with SS oil money grin S.South pple,i hope una eye dey see wetin dey happen wit una money?? Soon dey ll give una another amnesty for d oil wey papa GOD put for una land..sad Imagine free education for d pple wey hardly contribute anything gud in naija sad
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by MeAboki(m): 3:43pm On Dec 26, 2013
Okija_juju:

Point is that the Federal Government has a scheme in place called the ÜBE scheme.

The State governments receive funds from the scheme to implement in their states.

So if it is not being implemented, it's the state governments problem.

So if the FG has paid for the education of all children in basic school, how then is Kwankwaso declaring free education as if it is new or he paid for it?

Assuming you are right, wouldn't you agree that that the FG has a duty to ensure faithful implementation of its policies? What is its monitoring and evaluation department doing and for that matter EFCC doing?

I would also want to suggest, if at all true, that this issue is not only peculiarly to Kano State alone.

Last and most importantly, you would agree that most of the tertiary institutions are owned, financed and completely run by the the FG; so why are these universities charging tuition and other fees under FG's own watch - why then should Kwankwaso therefore be at fault for trying to sponsor his state indigenes through higher education which clearly is being denied to them by the FG?
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by Orikinla(m): 3:44pm On Dec 26, 2013
[size=18pt]The best performing governors in Nigeria are all members of the APC.[/size]
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by MeAboki(m): 3:50pm On Dec 26, 2013
homesteady:
I wonder why he has refused to repair the roads in sabon gari! And sabon gari is like the economy capital in Kano!
Maybe because non-indigenes are the most populated there

Hhmmnn, Sabon Gari economic capital of Kano; same way as some interlopers are claiming the ownership of Lagos; as for the roads, he will repair them in due course, according to priority, starting with the areas that will vote for him and the interest of Kano State - not those who will insult him and his ppl.
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by shejane: 3:53pm On Dec 26, 2013
Now dis is d news I wat 2 hear

Wen wil peter obi declare his own in my lovely state
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by shejane: 3:59pm On Dec 26, 2013
U guys alwys put sentiment in evrytin

Kwankwaso carry on joor

Nd pls employ capable teachers

Good work
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 26, 2013

Thanks
They have always had free education so this is no news
GEJ even built them free Almajiri schools
They marry off their daughters at 9 and 10 and send their sons off as Almajiri to be used as foot soldiers to kill
That is their problem
Until they tackle that mindset,nothing changes
Their universities will continue to be populated by southerners and middle belters while the indigenes continue to be hewers of wood and fetchers of water
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by anonimi: 4:12pm On Dec 26, 2013
Me_Aboki:

Assuming you are right, wouldn't you agree that that the FG has a duty to ensure faithful implementation of its policies? What is its monitoring and evaluation department doing and for that matter EFCC doing?

I would also want to suggest, if at all true, that this issue is not only peculiarly to Kano State alone.

Last and most importantly, you would agree that most of the tertiary institutions are owned, financed and completely run by the the FG; so why are these universities charging tuition and other fees under FG's own watch - why then should Kwankwaso therefore be at fault for trying to sponsor his state indigenes through higher education which clearly is being denied to them by the FG?

He is partially right.
Below is from the Universal basic Education Commission's (UBEC) website:

The Universal Basic Education (UBE) Programme is a nine (9) year basic educational programme, which was launched and executed by the government and people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to eradicate illiteracy, ignorance and poverty as well as stimulate and accelerate national development, political consciousness and national integration. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo flagged off UBE on 30 th September 1999 in Sokoto , Sokoto State. The UBE Programme is Nigeria's strategy for the achievement of Education for All (EFA) and the education-related Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).

The implementation process of the programme has been on since 1999 , but progress was hampered by lack of an enabling law to execute certain aspects of the programme. What a big relief it was when the President signed the UBE Bill into law on 26 th May 2004 following its passage by the National Assembly . The UBE Act 2004 makes provision for basic education comprising of ECCE, Primary and Junior Secondary Education. The financing of basic education is the responsibility of States and Local Governments. However, the Federal Government has decided to intervene in the provision of basic education with 2% of its Consolidated Revenue Fund. For states to fully benefit from this Fund, criteria were established which states are to comply. The Act also provides for the establishment of the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) to co-ordinate the implementation of the programme at the states and local government through the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) of each state and the Local Government Education Authorities (LGEAs) . The Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) was formally established on 7 th October 2004 .

Vision Statement
At the end of nine years of continuous education, every child should acquire appropriate and relevant skills and values and be employable in order to contribute his or her quota to National Development

Mission Statement
To serve as a prime energiser of National Movement for the actualisation of the nation's Universal Basic Education (UBE) vision, working in concert with all stakeholders, thus mobilising the Nation's creative energies to ensure that Education For All becomes the Responsibility of all.

Scope of UBE
Programmes and initiatives for early childhood care and education, Six-year Primary Education, and three (3) years of Junior Secondary Education.

Objectives Of UBE
Ensure unfettered access to nine (9) years of formal basic education.

The provision of free, Universal Basic Education for every Nigerian child of school­ going age.

Reducing drastically the incidence of drop-out from the formal school system, through improved relevance, quality and efficiency

Ensuring the acquisition of appropriate levels of literacy, numeracy, manipulative, communicative and life skills as well as the ethical, moral and civic values needed for laying a solid foundation for life-long learning.

More from: http://ubeconline.com/

I will post more relevant information from the website.
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by anonimi: 4:25pm On Dec 26, 2013
DISBURSEMENTS OF MATCHING GRANT TO STATES FROM 2005 - 2013 AS AT 6th December, 2013

The table shows that N187,536,455,236.03 has been disbursed to various states based on meeting the set eligibility criteria.

Anyone who is better in IT can copy and paste the pdf details here.

Source: http://ubeconline.com/Pre/Disbursememt%20as%20at%206th-December,2013.pdf

Kwankwaso's Kano state has received N6,153,640,578.47 in the eight years reported on.
One may wish to ask why the governors are QUIET about this extra allocation from the federal government
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by homesteady(m): 4:30pm On Dec 26, 2013
Me_Aboki:

Hhmmnn, Sabon Gari economic capital of Kano; same way as some interlopers are claiming the ownership of Lagos; as for the roads, he will repair them in due course, according to priority, starting with the areas that will vote for him and the interest of Kano State - not those who will insult him and his ppl.
Hian! So where is the main economic hub in kano? Is it not Sabon gari? I wonder why you are trying to bring tribal nonsense here!
So sabon gari should not be his top priority because its mainly non-indigenes that stay there? What's the essence of developing some parts of the state and not developing some other parts! This is what is happening in kaduna state, the past governors have been developing the northern part, and they abandoned the southern part!
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by azyaq(m): 4:33pm On Dec 26, 2013
fyneguy: The impact of APC. Yes! an under-performing PDP Governor could be performing under APC. This is the proof.

So let other clueless PDP governors move to APC and get fire baptism
wetin happen to Lasu wey Fash increase skul fee frm 25k to 200k, no be APC gov be Fash
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by HoldenCaulfield(m): 5:00pm On Dec 26, 2013
Boy can This southern mor.ons be so idi.otic! they have never been up north yet they are acting as if they know they whole norh. I pity you sosai time will tell, we act not spread propagandas.
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by meforyou1(m): 5:06pm On Dec 26, 2013
silent don:

Hey, it's not just free but compulsory!
compulsory how? Not in a thousand years can education be compulsory in the north
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by meforyou1(m): 5:18pm On Dec 26, 2013
Education in the north is close to negative. I schooled in the north primary to university and can boldly make the claim. I dare to take up any northerner that has a contrary opinion to a public nairaland debate. Kwankwaso can never enforce compulsory education in a million years. The yanbanga sharia police he will use to do the enforcement are stack thug illiterates themselves.
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by estatemark(m): 5:45pm On Dec 26, 2013
homesteady:
You made some good points! They don't just value education! Especially the poor ones and the uneducated rich ones!
That's why even those almajiri schools that they are building, I consider it as waste of money!

It not their fault, every tribe in Nigeria at one time had the same problem. All that is needed is for their leaders to find a way to motivate them to value Education, but this is not the case, they would rather prefer to encourage their ignorance and apathy towards education while at same time send their own children to get their best education to continue the dorminace

1 Like

Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by nero69: 6:55pm On Dec 26, 2013
May God Bless this man. l am now a confirmed multi-millionaire thanks to baba Jakande.

1 Like

Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by grandstar(m): 8:31pm On Dec 26, 2013
If you want them to go, give them free food. It works wonders worldwide. It however needs to be qualitative education. that is where most fail. Perhaps they should introduce vouchers and charter schools like in some american cities.
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by Youngzedd(m): 8:52pm On Dec 26, 2013
Good move, although eye glass is of no use to blind a man.
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by Youngzedd(m): 8:53pm On Dec 26, 2013
grandstar: If you want them to go, give them free food. It works wonders worldwide. It however needs to be qualitative education. that is where most fail. Perhaps they should introduce vouchers and charter schools like in some american cities.

On point.

Free meal will do wonders.
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by jice(m): 10:31pm On Dec 26, 2013
6.5 billions for Islam education and 2 billions for technical education. See why it is not going anywhere. Religion doesn't repair your car but your mind. There must be a balance of technical and religious knowledge to have a healthy society.
Re: Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano by gogodaye(m): 10:48pm On Dec 26, 2013
I hope this is not another hog~wash..Folks should understand my pessimism.Talk is cheap in Naija. Gov Odili declared free education in public schools in RIvers state between '99~03', & provided free school buses, which routinely conveyed students to decrepit classrooms without basic amenities such as seats, blackboards, water, etc. Please note, that both his (Exco & their family members) kids never attended any of these public schools. Your guesses are as good as mine as to what happened next.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The English Word For "YINMU"? / Strictly For Those Who Chose Abu Zaria In Utme / UTME 2017: Private University Is Optional - JAMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.