Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,416 members, 7,891,811 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 07:44 PM

Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? (847 Views)

My Relationship Is Static. Mature Minds Only Please / Mrcork Online Relationship Help & Advise for all...pls Ask Questions. / Signs That Your Long Distance Relationship Is Fading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 5:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
Hi guys,
i met this guy on facebook, i confirm all requests, but i dont reply msgs, only when i feel i need to, or triggered by something in the msg.
This guy stays in South Africa, and i notice he has been sndn msgs for long, but i ve alwys ignored his messages. So at a time i replied him, we started chattn...he asked for my number and i gave it to him. When he called he startd asking questions abt marriages and all, and i knew where he was driving at...and that scared me! He came out as a despicado, cause he is 11years older than i am...in his early thirties tho.
Am nt a fan, of guys searchn for wives desperately, cause most of them are alwys looking for the perfect girl, and when they find her they think they are in-love and manipulate them into getting married to them.
To brief the whole thing, i wont see this guy until July or Aug 2014 by His Grace, and he would go bak, cause he is working there.
And his kindof job, is really something i cant cope with...cause he goes away for weeks and comes home in(his hosue in SA) once in a while. He is an Engineer, who works on a ship...so he is alwys onboard, and while onboard you cant get through him. His plan is for us to date online, meet him by July, comes for my introduction dec and get married to me by 2015? shocked
and there is something he does, he keeps remindn me ow many girls wil jump to this opportunity and how i will be making a big mistake if i dont date him, though in a literal way. He claims to be a christian thou...
My problem is, i hate distance! How can i cope nt seeing d person i am dating for mnths? Chai! Dats frustration, especially when you see happy couples around you always and 2ndly, how can i mrry som1 i can only judge based on his online image? I dnt want suprises! I dont know if he is a dirty guy, rude, flirts, judgemental, annoying, lazy etc...is it possible to know all these things without seeing him?
Now to those who met their spouses online, i need advice from you...did it work this way? I mean the distance and time before seeing eachother, are you satisfied you chose him or her? Is this advisable?
Note- i ve been in online and distance rships so many times and it has alwys failed! But this guy is making me feel like, his wil work and i dont wna double date. I know i cant remain single for life by His Grace, but he talks as if he is the Mr.Right, he even said i can alwys come to SA to visit him, but am schooln and my parents will never allow me to go on such a long distance to see somone i ve no idea who exactly he is....please i need your candid advice!
Thanks... And oh! sorry for the epistle.
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by 2legit2qwt: 5:20pm On Dec 30, 2013
There are two issues you seem to be battling here and i'm gonna be random with my response. One is the distance and as far as that goes, I'm guessing December 2015 is when you will move in together? If that's the case then it's probably worth considering but just remember that long distance relationships (LDR) takes a lot more work than your regular relationships as regards the distance.

Are you willing to put in the needed work to make it work? Are you willing to trust him? Would you be jealous if he can't answer his phone at a time you wanna talk but he's unavailable, with friends/family?

Are you willing to skype and talk on the phone for hours to deal with times you're missing him and feeling lonely? Conversation could get boring a lot of times after talking to the same person repeatedly? Can you deal with spicing it up? Is that line of communication even open for you? You have
to think about the cost involved with making long distance calls? Sometimes attractions starts reducing because that feeds on physical contact.

LDRs is expensive too because along with the calls comes the visits. you have to think about a whole lot of thing.

The other issue, which to me is most important is that, you barely know this guy. You met online and i'm not sure y'all have met you and know if you'll like him in person. Personally, i'll advise against that because I'll only put in that much work in a relationship if i already know the person physically and the chemistry and all that has been assessed. It's too much work to to put in for a 'stranger' What if the guy just wants you for some absurd reason you don't know? What if he's a psycho? Do you know any member of his family? Where they live?

On the other hand, it may be the best decision you've ever made, he may be the 'dream' there ain't no telling until you try but on the basis of
the facts and assumptions alone, i'll back out of that relationship

1 Like

Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Dec 30, 2013

1 Like

Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Dyt(f): 5:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
I stopped reading here
* he keeps remindn me ow many girls wil jump to this opportunity and how i will be making a big mistake if i dont date him, though in a literal way.*

This actually pissed me off
What's he feeling like
Tell the dude of abeg
Right away

Back to topic, nothin wrong having an online relationship
I can tell u, have it really good
Like the best I ever had

1 Like

Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 5:35pm On Dec 30, 2013
Honestly you just pointed out my fears, cause i ve no idea who he is, though he said he could give me the add to his parents house so i could meet them, but they aint the one am gonna get married to, so their personalities matters less to me! The only reason am bothered is because, i dont wnt this to look like am screening guys!
Am in my early twenties, and i really dont like the guys ve met so far, some are flirts, drunks, got attitudes probs, and i keep askn my self, wil i continue like this? I know i shouldnt be worried at this stage, but sometimes i get scared a lil and most guys ve met just want me for sex too! Crayz huh? But this guy acts like he is decent and all, bt am sure they all act that way until you get to meet them.

Thanks alot, really appreciate! backing out hs alwys been my option, cause i see nuf adv than disadvs.
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 30, 2013
From what I'm analyzing.
It seems you've made up your mind already that you cant handle the guy.
Therefore I say unto you, do what your spirit says!
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 5:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nonso23: Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems this whole marriage issue is like a game to you.
Do you really know this man?
Is he asking you for your hand in marriage because he feels he has come of age not because he loves you?
are you placing the material benefits of the marriage over the compatibility issues you are likely to encounter?
Do you love him?
Please ponder on these.
Sorry I digressed, the thread title is different from the path I towed with my questions.

Anyway to answer your major question. Online relationships work for some and doesn't for others . Only way to make it work is if you meet face to face to find out if truly you both can get along. After all same people online also have real lives. Best to find out who they are in real life than online.
I can't tell you what to do but it's best to weigh your options carefully. If na me... I will jejely move away.
lol. Exactly! He feels he loves me, but am sure he doesnt!! He keeps telln me how his sisters nd parents are begging him to get a wife, and we vent even known eachoda for weeks, he wants me to go to his parents house already....like seriously, how on earth wil i introduce my self? I cnt even stand dating som1 online without meeting him for months thereby ignoring other guys..its gonna be frustrating!
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 5:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
Vessi: From what I'm analyzing.
It seems you've made up your mind already that you cant handle the guy.
Therefore I say unto you, do what your spirit says!
i just need to be convinced that am doing the right thing, cause am thinking of changing my mind already....and once i agree to date him, i wont be able to date another person.
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by FerdG(m): 5:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
I belive love could be found anywhere just that sometimes people abuse it.
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Danhumprey: 5:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
Spicy tha chiq: Hi guys,
i met this guy on facebook, i confirm all requests, but i dont reply msgs, only when i feel i need to, or triggered by something in the msg.
This guy stays in South Africa, and i notice he has been sndn msgs for long, but i ve alwys ignored his messages. So at a time i replied him, we started chattn...he asked for my number and i gave it to him. When he called he startd asking questions abt marriages and all, and i knew where he was driving at...and that scared me! He came out as a despicado, cause he is 11years older than i am...in his early thirties tho.
Am nt a fan, of guys searchn for wives desperately, cause most of them are alwys looking for the perfect girl, and when they find her they think they are in-love and manipulate them into getting married to them.
To brief the whole thing, i wont see this guy until July or Aug 2014 by His Grace, and he would go bak, cause he is working there.
And his kindof job, is really something i cant cope with...cause he goes away for weeks and comes home in(his hosue in SA) once in a while. He is an Engineer, who works on a ship...so he is alwys onboard, and while onboard you cant get through him. His plan is for us to date online, meet him by July, comes for my introduction dec and get married to me by 2015? shocked
and there is something he does, he keeps remindn me ow many girls wil jump to this opportunity and how i will be making a big mistake if i dont date him, though in a literal way. He claims to be a christian thou...
My problem is, i hate distance! How can i cope nt seeing d person i am dating for mnths? Chai! Dats frustration, especially when you see happy couples around you always and 2ndly, how can i mrry som1 i can only judge based on his online image? I dnt want suprises! I dont know if he is a dirty guy, rude, flirts, judgemental, annoying, lazy etc...is it possible to know all these things without seeing him?
Now to those who met their spouses online, i need advice from you...did it work this way? I mean the distance and time before seeing eachother, are you satisfied you chose him or her? Is this advisable?
Note- i ve been in online and distance rships so many times and it has alwys failed! But this guy is making me feel like, his wil work and i dont wna double date. I know i cant remain single for life by His Grace, but he talks as if he is the Mr.Right, he even said i can alwys come to SA to visit him, but am schooln and my parents will never allow me to go on such a long distance to see somone i ve no idea who exactly he is....please i need your candid advice!
Thanks... And oh! sorry for the epistle.
When I came across the bolded,most especially the 2nd part in bold,I knew what was up. Fact is,real,sincere,true men don't brag about things like that. It's just childish and reeks of desperation.

As per your fears,I believe LDRs can work,but you've got to play your card well. Study the guy well before you take any life-long decision.
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
He wants you to marry him, not because he really loves you, but because he's been pressured on by his family members.
Plus the fact he's not getting any younger.
Love conquers everything.
Are you going into this marriage to make this man happy?
Are you going into this marriage because your exes have frustrated you? Sotey you think no better man dey lol?
Please, why does this man love you?
Please, why do you love him?
I'm asking these because so far, you you have said little or nothing about love and marriage is involved.
We all know love is the driving force and factor in a marriage, relationship.
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 5:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
Dyt: I stopped reading here
* he keeps remindn me ow many girls wil jump to this opportunity and how i will be making a big mistake if i dont date him, though in a literal way.*

This actually pissed me off
What's he feeling like
Tell the dude of abeg
Right away

Back to topic, nothin wrong having an online relationship
I can tell u, have it really good
Like the best I ever had
lool..thanks alot! That part drives me nuts alot....i sense pride atimes.
And btw, he also metioned, trying to change somethings about me...i was shocked
am guessing things like, not wearing makeups, not wearing trousers....lol i cant imagine livn with such.
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 6:01pm On Dec 30, 2013
Danhumprey: When I came across the bolded,most especially the 2nd part in bold,I knew what was up. Fact is,real,sincere,true men don't brag about things like that. It's just childish and reeks of desperation.

As per your fears,I believe LDRs can work,but you've got to play your card well. Study the guy well before you take any life-long decision.
thanks alot, thats what i intend doing, but how do i study som1 i vent met and wil not meet until Jul 2014? Its kinda difficult cause pple fake alot.
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Dyt(f): 6:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
Spicy tha chiq:
lool..thanks alot! That part drives me nuts alot....i sense pride atimes.
And btw, he also metioned, trying to change somethings about me...i was shocked
am guessing things like, not wearing makeups, not wearing trousers....lol i cant imagine livn with such.

*raises eyebrow*
Pls tell him to go ahes and pick any lady of his choice
Like seriously these men takes our assses for granted
Bleep him, his money, his looks, his pride
So bn married to someone automatically u go become home decoration
I tire for our men
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 6:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
Vessi: He wants you to marry him, not because he really loves you, but because he's been pressured on by his family members.
Plus the fact he's not getting any younger.
Love conquers everything.
Are you going into this marriage to make this man happy?
Are you going into this marriage because your exes have frustrated you? Sotey you think no better man dey lol?
Please, why does this man love you?
Please, why do you love him?
I'm asking these because so far, you you have said little or nothing about love and marriage is involved.
We all know love is the driving force and factor in a marriage, relationship.
humm...love? At all!! I feel nothing for him yet o! Actually this is because i vent allowed my self to grw feelings for him, simply bcuz am scared! I dunno if what he feels for me is love or despiration, cause all he talks abt is marriage!
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 6:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
Dyt:

*raises eyebrow*
Pls tell him to go ahes and pick any lady of his choice
Like seriously these men takes our assses for granted
Bleep him, his money, his looks, his pride
So bn married to someone automatically u go become home decoration
I tire for our men
honestly, he feels like he is doin me a favour oo...this noon he was ttelln me about 19yrs, 20yrs getting married all because they dont wna end up being single at 28yrs when no man would be attracted to them...lol so in other words, he is saying if i dnt marry him, i wont get married early? Lol
and he even askd me to chng my profile pic( a decent pic o, just that its very attractive) on facebook, which i did obediently even the one on whatsapp, but then i started having this feeling that, getting married could mean, i'd b in bondage? shocked
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Dyt(f): 6:18pm On Dec 30, 2013
Spicy tha chiq:
honestly, he feels like he is doin me a favour oo...this noon he was ttelln me about 19yrs, 20yrs getting married all because they dont wna end up being single at 28yrs when no man would be attracted to them...lol so in other words, he is saying if i dnt marry him, i wont get married early? Lol
and he even askd me to chng my profile pic( a decent pic o, just that its very attractive) on facebook, which i did obediently even the one on whatsapp, but then i started having this feeling that, getting married could mean, i'd b in bondage? shocked

See its normal for everyman to protect what he cherish so much
Bt mehn, dis ur own guy sounds like he's doin u a favour o
Seriously babes, weigh ur options mehn
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by 2legit2qwt: 6:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
I think you know what to do already, all you need is the courage to do it. smiley
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 6:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
2legit2qwt: I think you know what to do already, all you need is the courage to do it. smiley
exactly, you read me like book. Lol
thanks alot.
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 6:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
Dyt:

Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 6:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
Dyt:

thanks huni, i'd do just that. cheesy
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 30, 2013
If you are willing to put in the time and energy into it then maybe you can. Remember it will require a whole lot of trust

1 Like

Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Dyt(f): 6:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
Spicy tha chiq:
thanks huni, i'd do just that. cheesy

Singin n dancing TERRY G
Jump am pass

1 Like

Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 7:03pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nonso23:

Seriously I won't encourage you to jump the broom with this man oo. I have reservations.
If indeed he has your best interests at heart he should be ready to spend time with you personally. A month or two is not too much to ask.Just sometime to get to know each other for real.
You said he's the "my job my job" type. Nothing is more frustrating than being married to a man who only sees you as a boost to his status.
Attention will definitely be lacking as you will be alone most times judging from the nature of his work. And loneliness can cause us to do silly things.
He comes off as self centred. I mean did he even ask for your opinion before he started setting dates like 'we will meet august 2014 get married 2015'
Consider your interests first.
yes i think he loves his job more, which am not really against, but when is just too much...its cray! And once i get married to him, i'd only ve him to my self once in a while.
My interests? He is desperate and caresless about my interests, he just wants me to fit into his plans.
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by sapiosexual(f): 7:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
Drop that guy like a bad habit. I know your mind tells you the same thing. From the little you've written I can deduce that he is proud, self centered, egotistic, the world revovles around me type of guy. But if you ll like to marry a dictator and be a robot for the rest of your life all I can say is Live long and prosper.

4 Likes

Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 30, 2013
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by ivyy(f): 7:40pm On Dec 30, 2013
This is not a thing you should even consider.
Online dating works like this
1) Meet online
2) Be friends
3) A crush ,liknes, fondness, maybe even love can occur depending on the persona of the person or how well you relate to the other party
4) You get to actually meet the suposed person, spend quality time know his good,bad, ugly ' you get to OBSERVE( you get to match the perception you've had of him over the phone to actual reality)
5) Then you reconsider, reevalute, give your heart out,fall in love totally, fall out of love e.t.c (this is actually the stage you can decide if your going to accept a marriage proposal

You don't knw him, all his crying out for is marriage and he wants it fast fast. He doesn't even know if your good natured or not Abeg! Except your one of those ladies who wouldn't care less, all they want is marriage now now, it can't work. Unless ofcourse you have started growing some fondness for him

4 Likes

Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Dannylux: 8:26pm On Dec 30, 2013
He probably need to ask questions about marriage?
You need to understand everything about it before considering marrying not to mention someone you met online who's probably obsessed with you?

He sounds like a guy with huge self-inflated ego.. proud.
Re: Help! Do You Think having an Online Relationship Is Advisable? by Spicythachiq: 8:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
Wooow! Thanks soooooooooo much for your contributions! Means a lot to me, now I can be sure about what step to take, you ve n idea ow relieved I am right now. Thanks so much once again and May God Almighty Bless you all.

Happy new year in advance! cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Your Three Greatest Qualities For An Ideal Spouse / Share Your Past Relationship Mistakes and lessons Here / I Have A Crush On Tiwa Savage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.