Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,217 members, 7,913,454 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 07:26 AM

Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job (1539 Views)

Fashola Is Fatigued Of Ideas – Lagos PDP / Fashola Is Not Qualified To Be A Presidential Candidate / From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Arialbold: 9:25am On Jan 02, 2014
He is not a miracle worker but he is doing his best and his efforts show.
I love the optimism that he brings to Nigeria. He makes me believe in the possibility of a Nigeria free of corruption and bad leadership. He is doing an AMAZING job.

What I would love is for him to do is encourage Lagosians to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY in making Lagos a better state. At the end of the day, Lagos is in the position it is because of the people who live there. We love to blame the government, but how often do we take our own share of responsibility for the condition of the state?

Even here on NL, the owner Seun does his best but at the end of the day, it is the people that make NL the website that it is. It is the quality of the members that make NL great and it is the quality of Nigerians that will make Nigeria great. Good leaderships is important too but I believe that Fashola is providing that for Lagos. There is always room for improvement but let us give credit where credit is due.

Another point (and this was mentioned frequently in the another thread) is the influx of people into lagos. The state is overcrowded and this places a burden on the infrastructure. If Fashola to find a way to limit the influx or at least finds a way to attract the quality/ creme of the crop from other states to balance out the dregs, i'm sure his job will be much easier.

At the end of the day, it is the people that make a country great. I know our government plays a role but we as Nigerians need to take responsibility sometimes. Start by learning more about your LGA and becoming involved in your local government. Or, start by contributing to non-profit organizations in your area. If there aren't any, start one. It could be an environmental organization. It could be one for youth or for the homeless. I'm sure there is tax credit to non-profit organizations.

I will end with a powerful quote by a former American president John F. Kennedy:
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by geeez: 9:39am On Jan 02, 2014
I've not seen an administrator who is more intelligent and positive

He's also very inspiring and brings sound arguments to the table

His model is simply superb and though he may not be everything to everyone, he is definitely a shift from the norm

I love his commitment, his attitude and his desire to make things better

He's definitely someone I'll love to work with over and over

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by PapaBrowne(m): 10:04am On Jan 02, 2014
geeez: I've not seen an administrator who is more intelligent and positive

He's also very inspiring and brings sound arguments to the table

His model is simply superb and though he may not be everything to everyone, he is definitely a shift from the norm

I love his commitment, his attitude and his desire to make things better

He's definitely someone I'll love to work with over and over

You are absolutely right. A very brilliant administrator. I do love his attitude, commitment and desire to make things better.

But the big question is: Has he performed in equation to the amount of money that has been available at his disposal or has he harnessed the huge opportunity that Lagos presents? The answer is a big no. For a state that has most of its infrastructure already built up, you would have taught that after 6 + years in government, the state would be awash with world class infrastructure left right and centre but all we talk about is a link bridge in Ikoyi. Every other mega project is less than 30% complete or still on paper. LFTZ, Light Rail, LekkiAirport, Fourth Mainland bridge, Lekki Epe expressway, and the list is endless. Just a couple inner city roads done and nothing more. Fashola by himself knows that he did not meet even his own expectations.

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by ochejoseph(m): 10:36am On Jan 02, 2014
There is no Need creating another thread to lunder an already Damaged Brand!

1 Fashola did very well in his first time becos he used the funds available to him wisely but Tinubu was not happy and that almost ccost him his second term !

2 how can we explain that a state with the highest Federal infrastructure in Nigeria , a monthly IGR that equals some state annual Budget yet Mass Housing that the Palestinians have mastered in their small enclave has eluded this guy for 7 ears.

3 . Building a suspension Bridge for al already over pampered elite when 80%. Of your inner city roads filled with mud and gutter is a complete SHAM

4. Pipe borne water is a Basic amenity , Majoriity of Lagosians including most likely the Op use boreholes or wells , when the whole of Lagos state is almost surrounded by water is a shame .

5 . Demolishing peoples houses and rendering them homeless without offering opportunities or alternative is another area Fashola appeared to be getting a lot of things wrong, I don't believe shanties should be promoted but the Brazilian model of upgrading slums should have been explored instead of taking land from the poor and giving samr to the rich who build estate whose rent is equivalent to their 3 years salary.

4. Governance is not about planting flowers and painting bridges , its not about giving LASTMA the powers to humiliate citizens it about the Provision of Basic Amenities like Schools ,Pipe Borne, water. Roads etc

5 with what lagos Generates it is a crime for Lagos to be the most Indebted State in Nigeria but that it the story today, Fashola has to give Tinubus IGR consultants almost half the noney as such there is No money for dev project as such he has no choicet but to borrow .
Fashola is a Good man ,but Bad men placed him there, his political future depends on whether he responds , that I the sad reality Lagosians must live with

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Nobody: 10:38am On Jan 02, 2014
I'm gonna repeat this

the annoying thing is, he's spent billions on reclaiming an island instead of upgrading sub Urban areas plus, restructuring Lagos in general.. if eko Atlantic becomes actualized, many parts of Lagos will still remain eye sore .

a 100billion spent on restructuring alone, can make Lagos rival Capetown..

shomolu for instance can look like an American neighbourhood in less than 6 months.. implement a simple policy and see the chain reaction.. you don't have to demolish buildings ..

fashola is the clueless one. sad

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Arialbold: 10:45am On Jan 02, 2014
PapaBrowne: you would have taught that after 6 + years in government, the state would be awash with world class infrastructure left right and centre

anybody expecting lagos to turn into Dubai in 6 yrs is a clown and nothing else.
Fashola is a human being not a magic worker. For a human being, he has done an AMAZING job so far. I can only hope that his successor matches his accomplishment +more.

the question is: What have you done to improve your community in the past 6 yrs? What percent of your salary was paid in taxes? as opposed to places like USA where sometimes up to 20% of ur salary goes to the government. Everything u buy and sell, a share of the sale/purchase it goes to taxes. Have you volunteered with or contributed money to a non-profit organization recently?
we expect our leaders to perform miracles for us but we do not want to contribute our own share of the work that goes into making a successful country/state.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Arialbold: 10:48am On Jan 02, 2014
scipher: I'm gonna repeat this

shomolu for instance can look like an American neighbourhood in less than 6 months..

Another clueless poster looking for a miracle. Maybe you should vote for Pastor TB Joshua in the next election.

The only thing that can turn shomolu into an American neighborhood in 6 months is if we import americans to shomolu and export the nigerians out of shomolu.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 02, 2014
Arial.bold:

Another clueless poster looking for a miracle. Maybe you should vote for Pastor TB Joshua in the next election.
Lagos will turn into America in 6 months with a simple policy. LOL

The only thing that can turn shomolu into an American neighborhood in 6 months is if we import americans to shomolu and export the nigerians out of shomolu. In fact, the american neighborhood will turn into a slum if u move shomolu citizens there.
you speak as if government is some magic working organization.

Maybe Fashola should implement the simple policy of deporting the poor dregs and importing the creme of the crop, quality citizens, business leaders to help the state develop. grin
Another simple policy is One Child Policy.
That would create the radical outcomes, right?

when you visit other developed countries, you'd know how clueless your so called fashola is..

how much would it cost him to implement policies regarding suburban development?

there are models that can be tested, and trust me, 6months is too much
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Arialbold: 11:08am On Jan 02, 2014
scipher: when you visit other developed countries, you'd know how clueless your so called fashola is

I currently live in USA. I lived in Lagos before that.
asking fashola to turn shomolu into an american neighborhood in 6 months is the stupidest thing i've ever heard.
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by bombay: 11:17am On Jan 02, 2014
Fashola is corrupt like his godfather tinubu

1 Like

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by bombay: 11:18am On Jan 02, 2014
Arial.bold: 11:08am

you leave in nigeria look at the time frame of your post lie lie apc arewa peoples congress
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Nobody: 11:21am On Jan 02, 2014
Its interesting that the same people who expects us to stand with them and kill or chase away president Jonathan are trying to rally support for their APC governor. So we should kill or oppose GEJ but support Fashola. So what is the difference between a Fashola and a GEJ? Why should we support a Fashola in his task of governing Lagos but fiercely oppose/sabotage a GEJ in his task of governing Nigeria?

Also we are being urged on this thread to be patient wit Fashola because "it takes time develop a city". Some say "he (Fashola) cannot perform miracles". But with GEJ, development must be instanteneous and we must see miracles or else, even the heavens will be pulled down.

Hmmmmmm! Yeye dey smell!

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Arialbold: 11:28am On Jan 02, 2014
scipher:
how much would it cost him to implement policies regarding suburban development?
there are models that can be tested, and trust me, 6months is too much

the fact that you think it is all about money is very stupid. Even European and American businessmen come to Nigeria with all their money and they cannot achieve anything because of the extreme corruption and incompetence of Nigerians. they take their money and go to other places like China. So it's not all about money. Nigeria is awash in oil money but money by itself is not what creates development. You actually need PEOPLE to be invested in the development as well.

Your mentality about governance is akin to how a communist Russian would think.
Is it state government that is in charge of suburban development? shouldn't that be private business? the government's role is to regulate the development. Private businesses create it and government regulates it.

Even the highway system was built in large part due to the pressure coming from the private automobile industry. Highways and roads were built because the car companies pressured and lobbied the government to build it.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Horus(m): 11:30am On Jan 02, 2014
the annoying thing is, he's spent billions on reclaiming an island instead of upgrading sub Urban areas plus, restructuring Lagos in general.. if eko Atlantic becomes actualized, many parts of Lagos will still remain eye sore .

a 100billion spent on restructuring alone, can make Lagos rival Capetown..

shomolu for instance can look like an American neighbourhood in less than 6 months.. implement a simple policy and see the chain reaction.. you don't have to demolish buildings ..

fashola is the clueless one. sad

You forget to say that the Eko Atlantic city project is a private sector funded development
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Arialbold: 11:40am On Jan 02, 2014
bombay: Arial.bold: 11:08am

you leave in nigeria look at the time frame of your post lie lie apc arewa peoples congress

It's 5:38am right now where I live. 11:38am in Nigerian time.
Maybe you need to enroll yourself in a technology literacy program.....Oh wait, you are waiting for Fashola to do it for you.

also, it's "live" not "leave"
you didn't go to school because you were waiting for Fashola to pay your school fees?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by slimfit1(m): 11:41am On Jan 02, 2014
Are lagosians that stupid that tinubu is the one that they are paying tax too? This story looks likely to be true because apc attackers are not saying anything oh.
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by bombay: 11:44am On Jan 02, 2014
People should relax for fashola, tinubu's gay mate Arewa peoples party aka gay party shocked
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by bombay: 11:45am On Jan 02, 2014
fashola is tinubu yansh boy
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by slimfit1(m): 11:47am On Jan 02, 2014
Horus:

You forget to say that the Eko Atlantic city project is a private sector funded development

Whether it is private or not it is a big waste of resources. There are lands available to use. You cannot fight with nature not in Nigeria anyway.
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Arialbold: 11:48am On Jan 02, 2014
In USA most people don't even know the name of their state governor. This obsession with government in Nigeria is ridiculous. We expect government to do everything for us as if we are in a communist state.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Arialbold: 11:50am On Jan 02, 2014
slim fit :

Whether it is private or not it is a big waste of resources. There are lands available to use. You cannot fight with nature not in Nigeria anyway.

what lands?
when he tried removing beggars from the streets, there was an uproar. what lands are available that wouldn't require him to relocate the slum dwellers and beggars?

at the end of the day, he can't satisfy everyone.
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by bombay: 11:50am On Jan 02, 2014
If you do not expect magic overnight why expect gej to perform magic after decade of neglect yeye dey really dey smell
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Arialbold: 11:53am On Jan 02, 2014
bombay: If you do not expect magic overnight why expect gej to perform magic after decade of neglect yeye dey really dey smell

where do you see gej in any of my posts?
none of them are miracle workers.
but this thread is about Fashola and Lagos State.
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by bombay: 11:55am On Jan 02, 2014
The money spent on eko Atlantic city could have turned lagos into something else anyway that is the way to siphoned funds to the lion of ikoyi
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Nobody: 11:56am On Jan 02, 2014
Arial.bold:

the fact that you think it is all about money is very stupid. Even European and American businessmen come to Nigeria with all their money and they cannot achieve anything because of the extreme corruption and incompetence of Nigerians. they take their money and go to other places like China. So it's not all about money. Nigeria is awash in oil money but money by itself is not what creates development. You actually need PEOPLE to be invested in the development as well.

Your mentality about governance is akin to how a communist Russian would think.
Is it state government that is in charge of suburban development? shouldn't that be private business? the government's role is to regulate the development. Private businesses create it and government regulates it.

Even the highway system was built in large part due to the pressure coming from the private automobile industry. Highways and roads were built because the car companies pressured and lobbied the government to build it.

private investors will implement policies, huh? ok.. let me give you an instance, I tell all shomolu landlords to change their roofings or be fined... private investors thing right?

some African countries make it compulsory for neighbourhoods to have a mini garden in their condos.. do you want me to post pictures of their skyline ?

you know what they say, little things count.. when Nigerians get to developed countries where most of their neighbourhoods are clean, if they mistakenly drop a candy wrapper, they pick it up and discard it properly.. can you say the same abt Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 02, 2014
bombay: The money spent on eko Atlantic city could have turned lagos into something else anyway that is the way to siphoned funds to the lion of ikoyi
thank you jare
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jan 02, 2014
Horus:

you completely ruled out the government.. Wow... smh
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Arialbold: 12:07pm On Jan 02, 2014
scipher:
private investors will implement policies, huh? ok.. let me give you an instance, I tell all shomolu landlords to change their roofings or be fined... private investors thing right?

some African countries make it compulsory for neighbourhoods to have a mini garden in their condos.. do you want me to post pictures of their skyline ?

you know what they say, little things count.. when Nigerians get to developed countries where most of they neighbourhoods are clean, if they mistakenly drop a candy wrapper, they pick it up and discard it properly.. can you say the same for Lagos?

private companies DEVELOP the projects and government REGULATES the project.
it is landlords and private companies who will change the roofing. not government.
government is there to regulate it.

Government develops projects too. ex. roads, schools etc. but they still have to hire private companies to do it. unless we are in a communist country.

Can you please name those countries? I am curious to know because I don't believe that any condo owner will agree to that. Even if it's true, at the end of the day, it is the property owner that will build the garden in the condo. the real estate business people will develop the gardens. The government's job is to REGULATE it and fine people for not doing it.

If Fashola tries such a thing, everyone will be complaining. If fashola starts fining you for not planting gardens in your backyard. will you be happy? If he starts fining you for not changing your roofings, will you be happy? If police start arresting you for throwing candy wrapper on the floor, will you be happy?
He tried to remove street beggars (pan handling is against the law!!) and there was so much backlash that he had to apologize for implementing the policy. Nigerian people like to complain too much.

at the end of the day, it is Nigerian people that are lazy. we want heaven but we don't want to do the work. we want government to do everything for us.

you know what they say, little things count.. when Nigerians get to developed countries where most of they neighbourhoods are clean, if they mistakenly drop a candy wrapper, they pick it up and discard it properly.. can you say the same for Lagos?

When Nigerians get to developed countries, they have to behave themselves otherwise, they will be fined or jailed. You can't drive anyhow you want in America. If you litter, people around you will frown at you. At the end of the day, a lot of Nigerians still go to America and keep their corrupt ways. You will hear news about Nigerians involved in scam on the news every once in a while. In india, they are attacking Nigerians because we are known as drug dealers. Is this Fashola and GEJ's fault too?
We simple aren't good citizens. yet we expect our leaders to be perfect.

are you saying that Fashola needs to be stricter and enforce a War Against Indiscipline? I agree!!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by lukaino(m): 12:15pm On Jan 02, 2014
I will acknowledge his amazing Job the day i stop seeing the following:
1. Wooden Link bridges(AKA PACO BRIDGE) e.g Igando-Ayobo etc
2. Red earth roads in surrounding towns like Ayobo, Igesu, Olorunishola, Abule-Odu etc
3. Lack of Low cost housing that can be accessed by those who actually need them
Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jan 02, 2014
Arial.bold:

private companies DEVELOP the projects and government REGULATES the project.
it is landlords and private companies who will change the roofing. not government.
government is there to regulate it.

Government develops projects too. ex. roads, schools etc. but they still have to hire private companies to do it. unless we are in a communist country.

Can you please name those countries? I am curious to know because I don't believe that any condo owner will agree to that. Even if it's true, at the end of the day, it is the property owner that will build the garden in the condo. the real estate business people will develop the gardens. The government's job is to REGULATE it and fine people for not doing it.

If Fashola tries such a thing, everyone will be complaining. If fashola starts fining you for not planting gardens in your backyard. will you be happy? If he starts fining you for not changing your roofings, will you be happy? If police start arresting you for throwing candy wrapper on the floor, will you be happy?
He tried to remove street beggars (pan handling is against the law!!) and there was so much backlash that he had to apologize for implementing the policy. Nigerian people like to complain too much.

at the end of the day, it is Nigerian people that are lazy. we want heaven but we don't want to do the work. we want government to do everything for us.
Dude, i'm not talking about developing low cost housing projects and what not..
Lagosians in those areas I highlighted are living like animals. The landlords collect money and do little or no maintenance on the structure. I was on the heli. and the view of that vicinity (shomolu) was eye-sore.. Roofing won't cost this dudes much. He fashola, has not tried that model and he doesn't even care. He's trying for the state cannot dispute that, but he ignores little things that actually drives development.

Now let me show you something.
Both lagos (for the record).. look at the second pic ..

(second pic) it might surprise you that a landlord(A unit) generates over 250k(estimate)
look at the structure, now tell me why they'd complain about fixing the roofs

Re: Fashola Is Doing An Amazing Job by Arialbold: 12:28pm On Jan 02, 2014
lukaino: I will acknowledge his amazing Job the day i stop seeing the following:
1. Wooden Link bridges(AKA PACO BRIDGE) e.g Igando-Ayobo etc
2. Red earth roads in surrounding towns like Ayobo, Igesu, Olorunishola, Abule-Odu etc
3. Lack of Low cost housing that can be accessed by those who actually need them

this is not government's job. This is the job of enterprising citizens.
create a construction business and lobby the government to contract the project to you. That's how things get done in developed countries.
America is not successful because of Obama. America is successful because of Zukerberg, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs etc
USA maufactures tons of aircrafts and war equipment but all these are private companies. The govt is just very involved.
same with all the automobile industries. In fact, American highway system was built through lobbying by the automobile companies.

in the recession of 2008, the first thing USA did was bail the banks and companies. it gave the businesses a lot of money and cut back the benefits for the poor. people complain but that's how government functions. govt relies on business if it can't collect enough money from people.

we need more Dangotes in Nigeria if we want to be able to compare ourselves to USA. He is the one who should be creating public libraries and univerities the way Rockerfeller and Vanderbilt did for USA. and what Bill Gates is doing for USA today.
otherwise, we are deluding ourselves. we are not a communist country.
In fact Fashola is doing extremely better than I would expect from a governor of any state in Nigeria. but everyone knows that Fashola is fond of private-public partnerships for a reason.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Will This Railway Carry Us Home? / 4 Yrs After GEJ Signed N3.7tr Refinery Contract, Work Is Yet To Commence / JONATHAN IS A SECURITY THREAT TO NIGERIA!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.