Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,162 members, 7,963,806 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 07:37 PM

Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football (48936 Views)

Nigeria, Hope Of African Football / Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief / Why Does The West Dominate African Football? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by leggo: 9:10am On Jan 03, 2014
illiterate patriots.. atleast when mikel doesnt win you wont blame racism.. pathetic
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 9:11am On Jan 03, 2014
j_omoh:

You putting Africa first shows you know little about patriotism which is the rational behind my combination. So I will make it simple for you to understand.

Am a human being before being a child to my parents(family), before being a citizen of my community, before my local government before my state, before my tribe(Yoruba) before my country (Nigeria), before west africa, before Africa.

You putting Africa first goes to show that you will defend the interest of Africa first before that of your immediate family.

That is what they call ROOT. When you talk about patriotism, you talk about defending the interest of where u come from "YOUR ROOT".

If after this you still maintain your stance then that justifies the last statement in my previous comment but this time around you can remove the last word and put in the first element in the "roots line" I created in the second paragraph of this comment.
U av only succeeded in defining what sentiment is.
So u av to consider Mikel for d title just coz u re both Nigerians even if there's a better African dt is more deserving?
Well, I'm more open minded nd consider being an African first before Nigeria in continental issues like ds.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 9:11am On Jan 03, 2014
naija noni:
No goal-post is being moved.In
1997 and 1999,there was no AFCOn.There was also no national tournament,Unlike 2013.
Amunike won it in 1994.There was AFCOn and worldcup that year and he was superb.

Amunike was fantastic for Zamalek and he joined Lisbon that year, Eyimba won the African Champions League why didnt a winner come from that competition
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Kx: 9:12am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

Actually Yaya plays Attacking, Central, defensive midfielder and Centre half he plays all 4 roles for Ivory Coast

Thanks.
In my opinion, for number of trophies won, Mikel deserves it.

For consistent sterling performances week in week out, year in year out, Yaya all the way.

But as usual, Nigerians do their voting by gisting away in Nairaland; we can argue all we want, whoever amass the highest number
of votes from the African continent, wins by popular demand. In that regard, I see Yaya getting the crown.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by teodore(m): 9:12am On Jan 03, 2014
sitoemmanuel: . I hate when people say. Footballers are servin their nation when we all know that they are been paid huge salaries
[color=#006600][quote author=sitoemmanuel]. If u talk about d money alone hw many nigerian born footballers have ignored d call of dia fatherland to play for another country or remain without international football? The ar doing a great job for fatherland bt dey ar paid in d process.......y would ALABA leave naija nd play 4 austria dat cnt even qualify for w/cup
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Mccullum: 9:12am On Jan 03, 2014
Do u remember when CAF favour Eto at expence of jay jay Okocha while our own naija dribbler was performing well even it was jay jay that sent Cameroon out of 2004 ACN, what of Canavaro, what of when ZZ when he won world best for 2nd time while Luise Figo was more better than him in view of some soccer fans, what Drogbe is doing in final nominees of CAF award in this year, don't u observe that? why Mikel you are nagging on his nomination status, don't you understand the difference between success and hard work? currently Mikel is the most successful player in the continent of Africa within the duration of this award of 2014. with undisputable facts Mikel worth it, if destiny favour him, so stop looking for conspirators like you on internet, bad belle, useless and hopeless fellow, it is you that is disgrace to NIGERIA and AFRICA.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Gguy4real: 9:13am On Jan 03, 2014
That fool that creat this thread na mum eda good for nothing bad belle how u go dey talk something like that wey u ur self no say mikel dey try and he always give 100% for his dearest country waiting yaya do for is country and waiting he win pass mikel in club level and u dey there the talk rubbish for that your stinking smelling mouth fool
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by busterr(m): 9:13am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

Did Mikel warm the bench during the Europa cup final? yes or no

you have to warm the bench when you're injured.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by leggo: 9:14am On Jan 03, 2014
safarigirl: he plays all 4 roles, and what has SUPERYAYA earned for CIV after running around the pitch like a dog in heat? Bros abeg start trekking to Ivory Coast already, you can build a shrine for your god in Abidjan.
you cant make your point without resorting to poo lines and juvenile comebacks
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by tybank: 9:14am On Jan 03, 2014
Man City without Yaya will be a disaster any day
Chelsea without Mikel ,nothing to worry about
Mention 3 best player in Man City,Yaya name would pop up
Mikel is not in the top ten best players in Chelsea
Go to National teams,Yaya is a commander,Mikel is a local champion
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 9:14am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

Did Mikel warm the bench during the Europa cup final? yes or no
And u claim u follow chelsea very well.
FYI Mikel WAS INJURED towards the end of the season(including d europa cup finals).That
Mikel wasnt even listed on d bench,while Ake and and some reserve players were listed,confirmed his injury.
Also benitez used mostly fringe players for europa league matches(d likes of ake,benayoun,moses,torres,e.t.c).
While he used d 1st team players in d league matches becos he.
prioritized Making top 4 over winning d EL.It was only in d finals that benitez fielded the full 1st team,but mikel was injured.
Mata and Oscar started only TWO matches in d europa league out of 7 matches.
Mikel started 1 match.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by cece4god: 9:16am On Jan 03, 2014
i do not doubt your loyalty to Man U or Arsenal.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by tusmanali(m): 9:17am On Jan 03, 2014
am sur if yaya toure is still in barca he ll b consider a bench hotter nt evn a bench wormer
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 9:17am On Jan 03, 2014
safarigirl: he plays all 4 roles, and what has SUPERYAYA earned for CIV after running around the pitch like a dog in heat? Bros abeg start trekking to Ivory Coast already, you can build a shrine for your god in Abidjan.

One tree doesn't make a forest! you keep on blowing hot yo might make sense some time in the future
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Arnoldo(m): 9:19am On Jan 03, 2014
Iamzuna: @OP.. Its very obvious that you started watching football just recently. What you should consider first is that the award is for African excellence and not for European excellence. Do you think Yaya winning the award is not an insult to African football also? Well the reason why African football is backwards is because we only want to give these awards to player who flourish in Europe (not even flourish but sometimes its as bad as them just playing good for their club sides) and forget the heroes who make the African game worth watching. I am sure you will say a Zambian player does not deserve the award last year and you will also support that the Egyptian Aboutrika does not deserve to win the award at least twice. Now lets go to other continents, do you think its just players who do well in Europe that wins the best player award from those continents? Africa will want to copy from Europeans and Europeans are just selecting players from their own league (or have you seen the best player in South America compete for the EFOTY (before it was merged with FFOTY)). Now coming to the world cup calender year, why do you think that irrespective of the club performance its only the best at the world cup that wins the award *barring Messi 2010*(though his performance that year was something else). Once a major tournament takes place that year, the winner of the best player award should come from that tournament and i think for once it has to happen in Africa and since Mikel is the only one representing the champion of Africa then he has to win it. Also he does not play for a small team so he just has to win it.
Concerning the bench warmer argument, i think you guys have to start watching football all over again and understand that there is a difference between team rotation and bench warming. How can you argue that Mikel is a bench warmer when he is obviously getting much more playing time than Essien. Dont forget that there are other players in Chelsea that will leave this January and yet Mikel remains in the coach's plan and you call him a bench warmer.... Mourinho rotates his players and that is the reason why Mikel has had to sometimes sit on the bench and for your information Mikel is not a bench warmer and he has a better and a more successful last season than Yaya (generally not individually) so he has a claim for that award not for his performance in club (europe) but for his performance in the same AFRICAN football. For me all three players dont deserve to win the award as Eyeama or Petriopa should have won clearly (the later being the best player of the tournament).
my broda ur head dey there I dnt know wat d op meanby bench warmer.....if him dey watch ijakadi make him better continue watching nd leave football for those that understand it
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by leggo: 9:20am On Jan 03, 2014
Gguy4real: i am a fool that opened this thread na mum eda good for nothing bad belle how u go dey piss something like that wey me myself no say mikel nor dey try and he always give 100% for his dearest country waiting yaya do for is country and waiting he win pass mikel in club level and u dey there the talk rubbish for that. I am a stinking incomprehensible smelling mouth fool
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by aboto49(m): 9:20am On Jan 03, 2014
I Dnt knw ao pple use to tink, y ar u tinkn as if u ar a kid? u call Mikel winning d APY a disgrace? which 1 is a disgrace btw nominating some1 like Drogba over Eyanma. wat did he play did season for him to make it to dat stage? so u dnt c dat 1 as a disgrace to u bt Mikel winning it is a disgrace. if u dnt like it, its tym for u to do wat u wnt. who cares?
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Philistine(m): 9:22am On Jan 03, 2014
Hello Guys, I am a chelsea Fan,so i do not have any grudge against mikel. But let's call a spade a spade,it will be an insult on africa if a player in the calibre of mikel obi wins the AFOY award,he simply does not deserve the award,Enyeama should have been nominated instead of mikel. Nigerians pls stop been sentimental.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Nakarey(m): 9:23am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims: It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.

CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?

A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.

Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.

Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.

Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.

What's your view?
bros true talk jare.
Because he won the AFCON doessnt make him d best player in Africa for the year under review.winning tournaments used to bee be an influenttial factor in givin the award and is still but as u can see with the ballon D'or,individual performance is now key to winning such accolades datz y ronaldo is now favourite to win it.so let's leave sentiments aside,we all knw mikel deff is not the best Africa has got to offer for the year 2013
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 9:24am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

He didnt have any injury, Rafa Benithez said Ramires has the speed to cope with Benfica's Namanja Matic in the midfield, it was John Terry and Hazard that were injured.
hahahahahahahahaha,I laugh in Kigali
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 9:24am On Jan 03, 2014
Mccullum: currently Mikel is the most successful player in the continent of Africa within the duration of this award of 2014. with undisputable facts Mikel worth it, if destiny favour him, so stop looking for conspirators like you on internet, bad belle, useless and hopeless fellow, it is you that is disgrace to NIGERIA and AFRICA.

Really!!!!

I believe Moses has a case

Efe Ambrose won the double in Scotland

Ahmed Musa won the double in Russia
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by phemmybernabeu(m): 9:25am On Jan 03, 2014
Pls, who hasn't warmed d bench at chelsea dis season? Mata? Oscar? D.luiz? Torres? Demba ba?
I think the rotation is affectin all the players.... OBi is not a bench warmer!
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Menoski(m): 9:26am On Jan 03, 2014
slimthugchimee: My view is HOW DID THAT CHANGE THE PRICE OF GARRI FOR MARKET
NOT @ALL, EVERYBODY MIKEL DIS MIKEL DAT! DE TITLE IS NOT GIVN TO HIM YET. WHY TAKING PANADOL IN SUM1'S HEADACH?
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by niyitogun(m): 9:27am On Jan 03, 2014
OP... I disagree a bit on your views, you seem to ignore the fact that CAF awards prioritises national team performance far more than club performance which I actually support. So on this basis I think mikel deserves it. Enyeama was also spectacular for the eagles but mikel was more influencial. Except you disagree that African awards should be influenced more by performance back at home rather than european performance.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Philistine(m): 9:27am On Jan 03, 2014
OP, stop arguing with them,d truth hurts because it is bitter.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 9:27am On Jan 03, 2014
Philistine: Hello Guys, I am a chelsea Fan,so i do not have any grudge against mikel. But let's call a spade a spade,it will be an insult on africa if a player in the calibre of mikel obi wins the AFOY award,he simply does not deserve the award,Enyeama should have been nominated instead of mikel. Nigerians pls stop been sentimental.
Nigerians will stop being sentimental when Caf stop being bias.Why was drogba picked ahead of Enyeama?
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by davies123: 9:28am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
Chief abeg stop trying to convince itself. Mikel can never make the best 11 in dt team at least as at ds moment. A deserving player for d title shouldn't just make d first team but also d one of d top players in d team either at home or in his club.
If at all a Nigerian deserves d award, it is Enyeama nd not a Chelsea's Mikel.

You are not paying attention to what he is telling you...I'm a Chelsea fan and I'm not saying mikel shuld win or shuldnt win but I watch every chelsea match and no player is gauranteed a spot.None at all!So if ur arguement is that mikel is not a first team player then look for another point,that one is not valid
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by captainbaroni(m): 9:28am On Jan 03, 2014
The person dat deserves dis award is not even in d running, Vincent Enyama. It shuld b btw Enyama aή∂ Toure. But ƒøЯ his achievments in 2013, Enyama shuld have won it. CAF's nomination dis tym is questionable. Let's wait aή∂ c wot hapns.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 9:29am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

Amunike was fantastic for Zamalek and he joined Lisbon that year, Eyimba won the African Champions League why didnt a winner come from that competition
We are talking about AFcon/National tournaments here and not CAF champions league.
Amunike performed well for zamalek,but that was NOT what made him earn dat award.It was his afcon performance.
A lot of african players performed far better dan him in europe in bigger leagues that year,why didnt they win it ??.
CAF champions league/african leagues are not so rated.Being outstanding in an african league wont earn u any top award.Or
Obinna nwaneri,aboutrika would have won african player of d year.
What made him win d award was his Afcon performance and NOT his performance in an average african league.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by leggo: 9:30am On Jan 03, 2014
Mccullum: Do u remember when CAF favour Eto at expence of jay jay Okocha while our own naija dribbler was performing well even it was jay jay that sent Cameroon out of 2004 ACN, what of Canavaro, what of when ZZ when he won world best for 2nd time while Luise Figo was more better than him in view of some soccer fans, what Drogbe is doing in final nominees of CAF award in this year, don't u observe that? why Mikel you are nagging on his nomination status, don't you understand the difference between success and hard work? currently Mikel is the most successful player in the continent of Africa within the duration of this award of 2014. with undisputable facts Mikel worth it, if destiny favour him, so stop looking for conspirators like you on internet, bad belle, useless and hopeless fellow, it is you that is disgrace to NIGERIA and AFRICA.
really?? eto won the la liga that year, what did J.J win??
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Netmanual(m): 9:30am On Jan 03, 2014
I hardly comment here but I am compelled to do so. Mikel deserves it all. He won the champions league, europa league and african nations cup. He has also been instrumental to the vital matches for Nigeria all through the years. He is a total quality who chained the midfield position while distributing tailored passes to the strikers. I recommend him for this award.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by lildray(m): 9:31am On Jan 03, 2014
From all indications, dis guy knows nothing about football. Yes mikel is a bench warmer, but where was drogba and yaya when he won the nations cup, won the europa league, and participated at the confederations cup? F¤ck u @op

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

Paul Pogba Meets Imam Of Medina Mosque Huzaif / Flamengo Vs Liverpool: FIFA Club World Cup Final (0 - 1) On 21st December 2019 / Asisat Oshoala's Outfit To GloCAF Awards 2016 (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.